Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / First Person Shooter: Nuclear Winter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 06:21 Edited at: 18th Sep 2006 07:01
Quote: ""If you want somewhere to upload the screens and demos without all the popups and fussing with the linking let me know. I have lots of storage space and bandwidth, I'll set you up an FTP account."

That would be great!"

Give me an email, addy in my profile and below this post, to let me know what user name and pw you want. I'll set you up a subdomain linked to your folder as well like nuclearwinter.mapmasterz.com or such if you want.

[edit] Make sure you put DBP in the subject line or the spam monster will eat it.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I can't download it, when I click download file, it just refreshes the page! Could put a direct link or something?"

The links to the demo are direct links now.

I've started working on the third map. I need to finish it and add a new enemy type and weapon. I also need to fix some things that were pointed out. Then I'll upload the next demo.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2006 05:30
Cool, what weapon do you plan on adding? Shotgun ?

My Apps:
Decal Maker
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2006 05:11
*Bump*

How's the project going? I liked the demo alot, and I'm curious to see where this goes...

My Apps:
Decal Maker
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't get as much done this week as I wanted to. I have two new weapons for the next map, shotgun and fragmentation grenade.

The third map is almost done. I still have to make some new enemy types.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2006 01:10
SHOTGUN! Yippe!

Reminds me of the one from Halo.

My Apps:
Decal Maker
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
I haven't been working on this as much as I usually do since I uploaded the last demo. I've had some other things I needed to do, but they're finished now, so back to Nuclear Winter. Here's my todo list for this game right now:

1) Lightmap the third map (Almost done)
2) Add vertex lights and items to third map
3) Make three new enemy types
4) Add enemies to third map
5) Make weapon sound effects sound more powerful
6) Add an option to turn 3d sound on / off
7) Improve bullet, player and enemy collision
8) Make pressing Q switch between your last two used weapons.

I also made a tram for the transit system.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2006 22:07
Looking cool! Alot better then my WW2 game I'm still working on

My Apps:
Decal Maker
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
I haven't gotten much done since I uploaded the demo. The last few weeks basicly went like this: Made part of the third map, then did nothing for about a week. Made more of the third map, then did nothing for about a week. Lightmapped some of the third map, then did nothing for about a week... Well, you get the idea.

I uploaded some screenshots of the third map. There is a large room with machines in it that you have to climb. There are three doors on the way up which lead to switches. You have to activate the switch in each of the three rooms to start an energy bridge that you need to cross. (I made these screenshots brighter after capturing them so that they'd be easier to see.)

The energy bridge:

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 02:01
Looking good! When can we see the shotgun in game?

Want FPSC content? Click Here!
Want to get your content there? Send us an e-mail!
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 02:05 Edited at: 8th Oct 2006 02:22
You get the shotgun in this map. Unfortunately for you, so do the enemies. I also edited my first post and replaced the screenshots with brightened versions of them.

I made the pistol sound effect more powerful.

Here is the original:
http://media.putfile.com/Pistol-Fire-Original

Here is the stronger one:
http://media.putfile.com/Pistol-Fire-Powerful

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 07:14
Ya, it does seem a bit more powerful, more of a kick or something...

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I have to update DirectX first, so I'll tell you what I think in a few minutes.
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 18:19
oh my goodness.... This is looking great

Ummm...
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks very good so far, but I would suggest improving the graphics and sound a bit to make it frigtening. For a look at good sound effects that I found very terrorfying, look at Math89's Doom-like. As for the engine, bravo. This is a very well thought and well made FPS engine for DBP. It's better than what I have so far.

Keep up the good work headcrab 53.
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
This was my most recent todo list:
= done

Lightmap the third map

Add vertex lights and items to third map

3) Make three new enemy types

4) Add enemies to third map

Make weapon sound effects sound more powerful

Add an option to turn 3d sound on / off
Somebody (Lost in Thought I think it was) had a problem loading all of the sounds on one of his computers, so I've added an option to turn off 3d sounds.

7) Improve bullet, player and enemy collision
It was mentioned that you could sometimes shoot and be shoot through walls. I'll improve the bullet collision so that this nolonger happens.

8) Make pressing Q switch between your last two used weapons.

Quote: "Ya, it does seem a bit more powerful, more of a kick or something..."

I added more bass to some of the weapon sound effects, so "more of a kick" is basically what I was trying to do.

Quote: "but I would suggest improving the graphics and sound a bit to make it frigtening"

I was thinking of making the next couple of maps frightening, when you're in the transit system. I'll probably have weird sounds, things jumping out at you, and probably flickering lights. Not too much though, because this isn't a horror game after all.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It was mentioned that you could sometimes shoot and be shoot through walls. I'll improve the bullet collision so that this nolonger happens."

I've fixed this now. The problem is that two ray casts were done for each bullet, one for the world and one for enemies (or player depending on who was shooting). If there was a collision for the enemies, it would act as though the collision with the world never happened. Now, if there was a collision for the world and the enemies, I get the collision distance for each and use the closest one.

I also had an idea of how to improve the frame rate. The smoke, explosions, bullets and bullet casings are textured each time a new one is created. Often, several of these are created each frame, and I found that "texture object" is rather slow. What I was thinking of doing was combining all of the different textures for effects into 1 image. Then only texturing objects once, scaling the texture so that only one of the images can be seen, and scrolling the texture to show the one that I want. The speed increase would be very noticable when you're shooting the SMG. Since it shoots 15 rounds per second, and each shot causes a bullet, smoke from the gun, smoke from the bullet hitting the wall, and an empty casing, that would be 60 "texture object"'s per second taken out.

LD52
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 21:10
this game looks awesome
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 21:13
Sounds good Headcrab - but are your smoke objects created 'on demand' or preloaded? Your idea probally will be best, but preloading it all can solve that too. Though you'll have to set it up to cycle through them.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sounds good Headcrab - but are your smoke objects created 'on demand' or preloaded? Your idea probally will be best, but preloading it all can solve that too. Though you'll have to set it up to cycle through them."

They're preloaded, but the objects are used for other effects besides smoke so they have to be textured each time they're needed, which is slow.

I haven't been at home since my last post, so I'm just getting back to work on this now. The next thing I have to do is improve the player collision.

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Keep up the good work. I really enjoyed your first demo of the game, and I hope that another will be released soon.
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
What are you using for a map editor?
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What are you using for a map editor? "

Right now I model the level like I would any object, and walk through the level in the game and add everything from there.

Quote: "I haven't been at home since my last post, so I'm just getting back to work on this now. The next thing I have to do is improve the player collision."

I've decided to go a few steps farther and add physics, which will probably take a while.

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 10:19
Very impressive game, all you really need now is a professional artist to get on with the art work so you can deal with the programming. I suspect this game has all the major features you would find in any FPS, all that really needs work to make it top shelf sellable is more professional media.

I lay upon my bed one bright clear night, and gazed upon the distant stars far above, then I thought... where the hell is my roof?
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Really nice game. Well done!

"Error at line 0 - Your game sucks. Try again loser..." (Cash Curtis II)
AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c, DBP 6.2
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Any news of a new demo?
Gamer Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 03:55
Cant you make a code snippet of that game?

Bach Tran
masterchief 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 21:19
What did you use to make your own models for the game. Screenies look awsome man. But one problem when i try to play the demo part way through the loading screen at the very beggining it says

Runtime error 506- Could not load image at line 129.

Keep it up man.

FPSC ROCKS!!
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2006 22:36
Gamer Making - Why would he want to post his entire source code?

A) It's huge

B) What if he wants to sell it or something? He would have given it away!

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
I just ran the demo. I got a: "Could not load sound at line 134".

It looks amazing so far from the screens though.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 02:36
Am I the only person (besides HeadCrab) in the world that does not have this sound problem?

And keep us posted HeadCrab, I'm really loving this game, I've played the demo several times (though I haven't really finished it I think)

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 03:53
Looks very nice so far. Definitely looks like a very strong FPS for DB, especially with "typical" FPS standards. It looks like you've taken a great deal of time to make sure things are polished. I tried downloading and playing the demo, but there was a lightmapping problem. All of the walls of the game looked like this:
http://delvarworld.com/uploader/wrong.jpg
I was testing it on a much older computer with a pretty old graphics card. It seems like the lightmap wasn't textured correctly, as in the UVW coords got lost. It appears to be the fault of this computer since everyone else got it to work. I tried the game at several resolutions and it still seemed to have this problem...anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2006 03:59
Prehaps your graphics card, maybe it only supports square textures or something?

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I probably should have posted this sooner. I'm putting this on hold for the NVidia competition. I'll continue Nuclear Winter in mid February.
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2006 03:48
Ah! I have to wait that long to use that shotgun

Lol, best of luck in the Nvidia comp, it looks like we are all facing fierce compitition.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ah! I have to wait that long to use that shotgun "

Well, you can use the shot gun in my game for the competition! It'll be in the first demo.
dark heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2006 06:43
looken snazzy! keep up the good work.
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2006 15:16
Looking Good, I'm just downloading the demo
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Ah! I have to wait that long to use that shotgun "

Looks like you're having bad luck with that shotgun, Airslide!

Quote: " I tried downloading and playing the demo, but there was a lightmapping problem. All of the walls of the game looked like this:"

Well, the textures are all square, but that's definately the lightmapping showing up as a regular texture. Weird. I'll see if I can figure something out.

Quote: "Well, I probably should have posted this sooner. I'm putting this on hold for the NVidia competition. I'll continue Nuclear Winter in mid February. "

Well, I ran into a problem with my NVidia competition game. So, back to Nuclear Winter! The first thing I'm going to do is re texture all of the maps, which will make the game look much nicer. Then, I'll improve the enemy AI, and collision. Next, I'll make good use of a multithreading plugin, which will greatly improve the frame rate during the game and the loading speed.
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 00:37
Quote: "Well, the textures are all square, but that's definately the lightmapping showing up as a regular texture. Weird. I'll see if I can figure something out."

Looks like a driver problem or a video card that lacks the functionality. You see alot of this if the video card can't handle a shader or other technique properly.

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a picture showing the difference that retexturing the map has made:

Quote: "Looks like a driver problem or a video card that lacks the functionality. You see alot of this if the video card can't handle a shader or other technique properly."

That's probably it, then.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 02:25
Very nice headcrab 53

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 23:06 Edited at: 24th Jan 2007 13:55
I reviewed some old posts.

Quote: "Runtime error 506- Could not load image at line 129."

The image loaded at line 129 is the cube map for the flashlight, so maybe your video card doesn't support them. See what you get from these commands:

CUBEMAP AVAILABLE()
MIPCUBEMAP AVAILABLE()

Quote: "I just ran the demo. I got a: "Could not load sound at line 134"."

Probably a limitation on your sound card. Turning off 3d sounds (which is available as an option now, wasn't during first demo) should fix that.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 00:49
Hi, please post screen shots of your games into the Gallery if you get chance.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=gallery_upload

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 18:24 Edited at: 31st Jan 2007 18:28
I haven't gotten much work done over the past week (exams), but I had my last one today. There are alot of things I want to do to Nuclear Winter. ALOT!

1) Replace ALL of the textures in the game, as well as making new ones to make the environment look better. Currently, several completely different objects all use the same texture (such as vents, counter tops and kitchen tables all using the same texture). This is something I'm going to change. I've replaced all of the existing textures (this time I created all of them myself), but there are alot more to make: Bed frame, chair, desk, sign, counter top, sink, toilet, plant pot, stall, bench, glass, big lights (outside in caves), floor numbers in stairs, railing, stairs, kitchen tables, pipes, elevator, elevator shaft, elevator door, console, radiation suit containers, storage cabinets, pilliar, support beams, gray things in hallways for cover, containers for green flow (the room with the green lights), pipes for the same flow, walls ceiling and floor for that room, red glowing walls, computer shelfs, super computers, machines in third map, workstations, main frames, computer screens, plasma bridge and its machinery, supports for high walkways.

2) I'll be adding more rooms to each map that you don't need to even walk into, just so there's more to see and places where you'll need to think... "Which way should I go?"

3) I'll be adding alot more detail to each map, such as computers and consoles on desks, more supports for the rooms, much better railings, more vents, etc.

4) I'll have to re texture the entire level. As it is the UV mapping is horrible. (You can see the difference that makes in my last screenshot)

5) I'll be lightmapping the maps again, this time without lowering the resolution to improve loading speed. (Most of that is the computer's job, however)

6) This time, I'll be using seperate collision maps.

7) I found out that the collision problems where the sliding collision doesn't work is caused by the walls being too far away from the objects origin, so I'll be scaling everything down to about 1/10th of it's current size.

8) I'll be using multithreading to load the map objects you can see while the collision maps are loading. Just enough that you can see everything when you start and load the rest while you play.

9) I'll also be using multithreading to run parts of the code that don't need to be run all the time, such as positioning the 7 vertex lights near lightmapped lights as you move.

10) I'll improve the code for positioning the vertex lights to stop you from seeing unlit objects suddenly become bright.

11) Need to remake textures for all 14 of the weapons, reanimate them, and remodel parts of them. As it is, each weapon has several textures, and is animated by moving different objects using code. (I didn't get any software for animating until I needed to create the enemies). By the way, the weapons in the game are: Pistol, Revolver, SMG, Chain gun, Shotgun, Jackhammer shotgun, Plasma gun, Pulse gun, Rocket launcher, Biogun, Sniper rifle, Energy rifle, Frag grenade, Energy grenade.

12) Improve particle effects, and add more effects such as sparks flying off of a wall when you shoot it.

13) Make new textures for the enemies, and model them and animate them again. I think I'll make the purple enemy red instead.

14) This one is simple: Make the player taller

15) I'm thinking of having 4 maps in the Dormitory level instead of 3, so I'll have to make another map before the demo.

16) Add button to select your last used weapon.

17) Make three new enemy types.

18) Improve enemy AI, and add pathfinding.

19) Add enemies again to all of the maps, this time with more enemies in large areas.

20) Detect wheather or not the computer supports cube maps, and load either the cube map flashlight or projection flashlight accordingly.

21) Add support for using a gamepad.

22) Add an option to select an aspect ratio: 4:3 or 16:9

23) DEMO! FINALLY!

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd like to hear them.

Quote: "Hi, please post screen shots of your games into the Gallery if you get chance."

I definately will when I'm done everything it the list.
headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 23:46 Edited at: 4th Feb 2007 01:36
Here are a just a few objects with new textures (and one with a new model) to show what kind of improvements I've been making:

(The old ones are on the left, new ones right)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 12:03:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 12:03:51