Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Main Character model test

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 18:31
Whatever gets the job done is the right tool for the job, simple as that

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 11:04
I just bough one of those tablets of Ebay for $20. It work quite well with photoshop.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 12:53
Yep, that's the way to go, turns computer graphics into something expressive

The best ones are the waccom intuous2, 'cos they have tilt sensitivity so if you tilt the stylus in photoshop and you're using an airbrush tool, you get the actual effect of an airbrush spraying at an angle to paper, soooo cool, but I can't afford such luxuries, I have a waccom artpadII and an acecat flair, which 'aint the nicest but it sure beats a mouse for drawing

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 15:20
...I have a mouse... =(

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 15:48
hehehe... You can get a graphics tablet from dick smith for $98 aud that'll do the trick exeat, or if you nose about you can find a refurbished waccom for less. A graphire is about $160AUD new. Feed the mouse to the cat when it comes to textures, but I always use a mouse for modelling

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 16:02
I've considered it although texturing isn't really my cup of tea and I don't think a graphics tablet or anything else for that matter could knock my textures up to par. In other words - I really, really suck. lol.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 16:38
Hehe, well it's really just drawing, but using a modernist perspective, you could choose your subject matter in such a way as to not require incredible artistic talent, actually my retro entry BombKid was done almost entirely left handed, as I'd broken my right wrist, so I chose to make the characters more or less flat colored, Ie no fancy light/dark effects, just coloring in basically. I let the renderer do most of the shading and shadowing, and then reapplied the textures so I didn't have to do much drawing. The sphinx's face was a photo which I did a photoshop cutout filter on to get the details of the face, then layered that on top of a difference cloud generated limestone texture, and used I can't remember which transparency mode to get that to look right (enough). What I'm saying is if you can't draw, get really good at using your paint program's filters creatively

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 00:47
Hehe, here's a little old lady's dog...

Modelled in 3dsMAX 3.1
Textured in photoshop 4.0.1
Animated in Milkshape 1.66a

636 poly's

sicjoshsic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 15:26
lol, he looks cool (in a sick, disgusting, disturbing kinda way )

when can we expect to see the full game (or at least a demo)

iac249
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 19:29
Quote: "I decided to remake a game I wrote when I was 11, called
'Lester the Panty Theif' "

You wrote a panty-thief game when you were eleven???
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 04:24
lol, you got a unigue style to modelling, pretty cool.

It isn't me thats good it's the program I'm using thats good...
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 14:58
sicjoshsic: About 1-2 months if I don't get too sidetracked by another project I'm working on in secret.

Spagyrist: Yes! 11 years of age was when my toilet humour was at it's sharpest... I originally coded it for the ZX spectrum, then later in qbasic for dos, later on (shock horror) I started a 2d version in the blitz2d demo, though I found the language to be quite buggy and decided not to buy it so that stopped. Then I found DB and entered the retro compo and decided during making bombjack that it might be cool to redo Lester in 3d using DBpro. So there's a brief history of Lester the panty theif

ToiletFreak: *lol* thanks

All of the models I'm posting here are rough, they're development pics. Most of the textures will be redone for the finished version. You can see a picture of the cop I've modelled on raven's forum in the gallery section, as well as a pic of the sprites/characters from the qbasic/dos version There's also a short description of the gameplay there

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 08:35:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 08:35:44