Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

The 20 Line Challenge / Separate competitions for DB and DBpro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 22:49
I am not saying it is unfair at the moment because many others have done the same. But I find it extremely annoying that I can't have a look at any of the other creations because I only have the original DB and not DBpro which most of them seem to be made on. I think that there should be two competitions for DB and Dbpro. If anyone agrees, please post a reply in. Thanks.
Nick
nicholasjbaker@hotmail.com
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2003 23:55 Edited at: 15th Apr 2003 23:55
i doubt there would be enough entries to make that possible. Not to mention the fact i have mentioned numerous times before which is that i dont think that splitting up the dbc and dbp communities too much is a good idea.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 03:40
We have no plans to split the competition to be language specific for the simple reason prizes are always awarded on gameplay first, technical merit second - and gameplay does not depend on language used, it depends on your skill at making a game.

If you think DBPro coders have an unfair advantage you're focusing too much on eyecandy and not on what we rate entries on!

Besides, look at the entries list for the retro compo - there is NOT a DBPro majority there, it's very even run.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 11:59
hows the compo goin rich? you havin fun testing all our hard work?
NachoMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 12:10
yeah, i see what you mean. thanks.
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 12:16
I have the same problem, I can't see the things done with DBPro, but there could be a solution : Ask people, who are sending codes, to give also the corresponding .EXE file, if it's possible for them ... So We could admire their work
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 13:01
I tend to include links to .zip files containing .exe's within my posts. I always thought the competition was about making cool looking stuff, I didn't realise it was about gameplay. Check out my latest entry, the matrix reloaded!

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2003 23:15
I just have to say this even though it's been said before, even though I don't mind there being 1 competition but I do think that DBPro-ers have an unfair advantage as they can fit about twice as many commands on a line due to the 255 character restriction on DBC.

I'm asking for anything to change though, because I know the winners have been mostly DBC users (I think) and the obvious answer to what I said is "Then buy DBPro!!!".

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 01:29
Use the demo version of Pro to write stuff then, you have a whole 30 days to produce something cool! I did, namely Quake III Arena and Ripples 'n' Lights.

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.
Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 04:20
I got DBPro on 12th February(and I had not already used DBC). I submitted my 20-line challenge winning entry on 12th March (28 days later, ie within 30 days). Between 12th February and 12th March I also wrote the first (very buggy) engine for Pinball Football so surely someone with DBC experience would be able to "do something cool" in 30 days with the demo version. Why are you all complaining?

Quote: "No sober man dances unless he happens to be mad"

If that is the case, what happens when a madman gets drunk?
Ocean Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2003 06:04
Rich the reason the Retro Compo was more balanced is because there is no line limit. DBC users can make as many lines as they want without worrying about the 255 char per line limit. In the 20 line challenge however there is a line limit and the 255 char per line limit in DBC matters.

Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Who said that you have to make it 255 chars per line for DBC 20 compatations on the board. Just make it longer for the board then have the person split it up him self if he wants to test it.

AMD Atherlon 2400+ XP, 380 DDr memeory, ATI Radeon 9000 64 DDR.

And a Katana.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2003 19:43
good point but then its hard to check it works

ARE YOU A 3D MODELER??? IF SO WE NEED YOU!!!
EMAIL mynameisnoneofyourbuisness@hotmail.com to work on the new Star Strike project!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 02:47:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 02:47:07