Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Us? Girlfriends?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 22:13
Now I'm sure eventually this will be flaimbait if I don't start it, but I've always thought of the stereo-typical computer programmer as a really nerdy guy who can't get chicks or as a guy with excessive amounts of hair who doesn't bathe much. I don't feel that I fit these descriptions (though I don't shave if I can get out of it) but how the heck do so many of us have girlfriends and even more shocking! How did some of us actually get those girlfriends to marry us? I'm not married, but I do have a girlfriend. Other than the fact she doesn't know a thing about programming I think you guys would like her: though we are in the US she has almost 100% European heritage . Oh yeah, did I mention she is cute and a really cool person?

Oh and girls, I don't know how you all fit into this seeing as I haven't met too many female programmers (I knew 1 and I didn't like her because she was mean and wierd, but you girls seem to be different than them so that is good), but what is the stereo-typical female programmer like?
1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 22:34
I pretended to be sane and clean. Once she was hooked I changed back to my old ways ever so gradually

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 23:51
Danmatsuma, as did I...only she tells me that she thought I was a quote 'badass'...don't ask me why she thought that...but now she's hooked as you say...

But ultimately why I think we are good for eachother is we both love computers^_^ She hates programming of course...but at least she won't be sorely pissed at me when I decide to get a geforce4 LOL...

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Newsgroup : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DBMag/
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 01:47
hehehe, lucky she likes computer's, mine only likes shoes...
mmmmm shoes

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 03:21
i have no-one ... ya'll are so cruel
:: runs out the room crying ::

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 03:35
i got me a fish myself! <---- proud of it

Looks like a dolphine, shines like a goldfish!

(she smells like flower though, not like sardin!)

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 05:32
my gf is addicted to diablo2xp, We have been together for about 4 years and not all of us are geeky looking

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 05:36 Edited at: 17th Apr 2003 05:37
what are ya talking about indi...we all can see you look like Hitler reincarnated as a goat!!!

I on the other hand...am a handsome, muscly, running, badass hedgehog Hot!

..wtf are ya'll laughing at?

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 08:46
Well, let me tell yuh. When I catch fish, they usually don't smell like flowers. My GF does though!

Raven: Don't worry man, your time will come. I'm 20 almost and have only had 2 gfs (including the one I just hooked up with [I hope that isn't naughty to English folk cuz it's slang here in the US]).

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 08:51
Ah this steriotyipical nerd look was created by the Smuffs so that smart people (which the 80's cartoon industry didn't have)would be looked down apon.

Acccully the reason I don't got a girlfriend is cuz I live live way out in the midle of Hick-ville, where people who don't fit into their backwater life style are looked down apon. The few girls that aren't total freaks (when in my opinion at least, to everyone else we're the freaks) allready got a boyfriend. That or they're gay, not supprising considing the guys out here (ex high scholl sports stars that do nothing but spit, drink, and act like fools).
That's my two cents, anyway.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 10:37
my time has come and gone... still find it hard to wake up and know she's no longer around.
ya know its been almost 3years now, and its hard - especially recently cause i was in an arugment with a friend the otherday, she just made me feel so much like it was my fault what happened.

there's someone i like, only other person that gave me that buzz i got from my wife just being around her. but she isn't interested in me, ironic really ... it's oki cause somehow i think i'm damaged goods, no good for bugger all but work

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 10:42

darkCorridor
Years of Service
User Offline
aww poor raven he's had a tuff ride

[br]mikey
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 16:08
Most people here are not nerds hell they're all on the MSDN

Caught by the Fuzz,well I was,still on my buzz
In the back of the Van,with my,head in my hands
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 20:26
nerd, i like to think that im not a nerd, just your average lad.

http://profiles.yahoo.co.uk/nx_25448

please tell me im not a nerd? i hope to get a gf sometime

Tha D'lithi'om CRR'ist'lls Can'na Tek it Cap'n!
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
yep, sorry, your suffering from a slight case of nerdy nerdy nerdiness, lol, only joking

Do not anticipate the outcome of the engagement, let nature take it's course, and your tools will strike at the right moment - from "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee
darkCorridor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2003 23:57 Edited at: 17th Apr 2003 23:58
Benny dont worry your not a nerd

[EDIT]
Me on the other hand... wel... ...

[br]mikey
Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 00:55
to the wendigo,

hmmmm, the stereotypical female programmer.
Take my honours degree computer science class.....loadsa girls and not one ugly girl in the class. They are friendly, fun and all better than me at programming, check out www.grainnegarrity.faithweb.com
Most of the girls on the photos page are in my class, and grainne is only joking when she says "me and my four kids" the kids are her cousins.

Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over!
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Damn where's that class? I've learned to hide my geekiness until I got em hooked. Then Bam Geek city.

Once long ago me and my friend would play "Drinking Star Control" with our pretty hot gfs. That is to say, we'd let the computer play itself and drink when say the chinzitsu hit the urquan and so forth. It was quite a site seeing a hot 17 year old blonde going "YES!" when the chinzitzu scored a direct hit.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 06:31
Well my girlfriend gonna marry me. And all I do all day is just sit around stinking, and programming. Can I have a better life?

Whut!
Athlon 1GHz, 512Mb RAM, 64Mb Geforce 4 440MX, WinXP, DbPro.
Latest Project - The Genesis World Editor -
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 06:45
ya know i checked out the site... i recognise the pics at the bottom with you and grainne, i'm surprised you don't have a little finger or chopped off heads - i just don't mix with technology do i, i mean how long did it take me to get that camera to work

QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 08:13
woah...boy did raven lose it...

and yeah, I dunno, if you're lucky you're lucky

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 10:27 Edited at: 18th Apr 2003 10:28
Maybe I should start using those smilies, jeezse.

[Edit]

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 17:27
Nerdiness is taking over and there's nothing you can do but embrace it (evil laughter which turns into a mad coughing fit - I'm not actually going to do it, but you can imagine.)
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 17:59
lol nerds take over?!
over my dead bodi

Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
GODZOOKS!!!!!!!!!

Do not anticipate the outcome of the engagement, let nature take it's course, and your tools will strike at the right moment - from "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 19:28
Hehe, with all these American movies and shows, pretty much glorifying geeks as heroes, I can see more girls being less snobby about their taste in men. Unfortunately, it's silly to categorise people like that, and personality is not something you can put a label on - so when that cute little 'geek' turns into an ass, it ruins it for other 'geeks'. A lot of 'geeks' just don't care, if they did they'd get off their asses and take better care of themselves.
Geeks have limited appeal when they're teenagers, but after high school/college, they symbolise security, loyalty, and a decent salary!.

I'm not what you would call 'geeky' looking, I'm 6' tall, about 12 stone - and I mountain bike, so I'm no fatty!. It's just not healthy to sit too long in front of that PC, it's bad for your mentality and your future happiness.

I'd never give up coding, but sometimes it's nice to have a rest - even if it's just few hours off to visit friends. That's the other thing, if your mates come to visit and they're not interested in what your doing on your PC, switch the bloody thing off!.

I've had the same GF/Fiance for 8 years, but none of my previous girlfriend were as cool about my coding as my fiance, I mean how many other GF's would buy you cool stuff to put on your computer desk (like a talking Timmy doll in a wheelchair and a lead Death figure from the Discworld series!). She even cleaned my keyboard the other day!. When you meet someone you like, give the coding a break until your more comfortable together, unless your one of the chosen, and meet a girl that likes coding too. Never make them think you'd rather work on your PC than spend time with them, imagine if they spent their whole time staring at their shoes!. After a few months, she'll want to spend time with friends that she's lost touch with, so will you.

Van-B
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 19:41
How to get them 2 marry you? Hmm I knocked mine up lol

[edit] by which I meant got pregnant, not beat around, obv.

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 21:17
lmao... hey thats how my mate got hitched too
however his wife is a pure evil bitch from hell ... he's not allowed any friends - for some reason ESPECIALLY not me, cause i'm a bad influence (ME A BAD INFLUENCE!) - he's only allowed an hour or so a week on his PC and internet - he was told he couldn't stay on his 4year course for getting a degree and should've got a similar job to me, but he's stuck in some daggy deadend job barely supporting his peeps

i don't think she wouldn't hate me so much if it weren't for the fact that she's an Ex lol - feel sorry for my mate, i know how bad she can be...

as for the geek/nerd subject - i hate those kinda people, they bore the living crap out of me and most of them are letchy perverts - who wouldn't know what the hell a good time is if it bashed them in the head.
some would say because oftenly when my mate Chris comes down from DC and we plan to go out but sit in and code that we're nerds or something, then you really should come down to one of our coding sessions lol ... i mean we actually make some decent programs and games, but the point of the evening isn't to actually work but sit there kick back with a mate and drink some brew.
we code whilst doing this cause we have short attention spans and love to get things out of the way at the same time (^_^)
big difference between being a workaholic and a nerd, cause a nerd would know what the hell he's doing and plug it in within a few minutes - we know the general plan and think half the fun is in actually accomplishing what we want to do

its always fun to see us wanting to make a realistic shark swimming through the water, so we have like 20books about sharks around us thumbing through - best time had to have been when Chris decided he wanted to make someone falling accurately from a wall
christ that made me laugh, so there we are over at the local chruch i have a video camera setup (remember i'm lousy with tech which made it a more interesting nite) ... he falls off the wall, goes "you get that?" ... i look at the camera, "erm... sorry mate forgot to take off the lens cap."
well needless to say we ended the evening in casulty because whilst trying to film him falling off this wall we'd got drunk in the process (as ya do) and he fell off at an awkard angle, cracked his left arm in 2place hehee

and before anyone says why we didn't just try to similate the weight of the limbs, well erm, probably cause we didnt' think that far ahead lol - sides i thought if nothing else i'd be a laugh.

however the point i wanna make is that if you actually like and care for that person you do make time for them ... for me unless someone does offer to be more interest to me that what i'm doing i won't give them my full attention. girlfriends do pull my attention, and i tend to give up alot of what i want to do for them.
i mean i generally crave alot of social interaction, but i'm not a talking person (might sound weird i know) but i have more fun just sitting there being with people, just having them around ... not sure if anyone else out there is like that at all.
ho hum eh (^_^)

ya know Van you must be like a stick figure lol cause i'm what 5'9" and 140lbs (about 10stone), and i'm as thin as a rake... so you must not be that far off.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 03:03
Quote: "How to get them 2 marry you? Hmm I knocked mine up lol"

thank god i'm not the only one here^_^ Yeppers J2D is gonna be a daddy^_^ Though the mommy and me arent getting married right away, for gov't money reasons Not that we're working the system...but we wouldn't make it without the extra bit of gov't assistance..

As for that 'pure evil bitch from hell'...*shudders*, how could somebody live with someone like that?...

large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 05:57
Face it, none of us are nerds. I mean, a nerd is somebody that takes interest in something that very few others do. Frankly, programming is no longer performed by a few.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
randi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 07:30
"what is the stereo-typical female programmer like?"

Well I don't really consider myself a programmer.
Just a female that knows how to program.
I have met a few female programmers though.
They all were pretty, nice, and had class.
So I would say that is the "stereo-typical" female programmer.
They surely were not nerds.

I am not a nerd either.
I don't care if I am writing this on a Firday night, alone, at home.

And why are their not any girl smileys?

Randi
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 08:15
lol Jerico, well she did have her nice side
however when she told you jump you'd cower in the corner, throw you wallet and say "please don't hurt me!"
do i sound bitter? lol

well anyways programmers in general i don't think you can stereotype, i mean the guys and gals i've met in person aren't nerd - perhaps they don't have great social lives, but it's just something you learn to live without when you do this for a living.
we're all nice people to hang with (yes even me ), oftenly quite funny people ... thats a beef i've always had about nerd, they're sense of humour is just weird.
there are some guys around here which are just total nerds

but somehow i doubt they'd admit to it

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 16:07
lol yup I'd agree with that. Hmm I guess in about year 7-8 I was tht of as a nerd, but I was a nice guy too, and I had friends, some of them even female!

samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm a social recluse, do I qualify?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 17:14
Hehe, I used to be a bit flabby - but I turned about 30 pounds into muscle after about 3 months of heavy factory work while at college - computers are horribly unhealthy things to work with. It's best to nip it in the but before you reach 30 - my big brother is 31, he's in the RAF and does lots of sport, he's still a little fat dwarf looking fella . My younger brother is about the same height, but only 10 stone, now he looks like a sparrows x-ray!.

Van-B
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 17:39
Actually there is more hope than most know probably:

Hear hear!

TV Magazine Article dated April 18th 2003:

"An inquiry among modern youth has revealed that people playing computer games, 'affectionately' called nerds before, are now in fact the more popular and wanted persons! (...)"

They, however, don't speak about programmers, but I'd like to believe we fall in the new catagory also!

For the record; I do have a GF.

Yskonyn -
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
"The ONLY time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 21:26
Yep, the title "geek" has become a complement. I just wanna see how those steriotypical 80's, cool guy, football player guy are taking it. I'm reminded of the Simpsons episode where Liza becomes Little Miss something-or-other and is at the football game, where the nerds chase off the players, funny stuff.

Thialfi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 05:40
My last girlfriend for 8 years was a model when I first met her and I'm a nerd. I openly refer to myself as a nerd. I don't fear the title, I accept it as a part of who I am.

I'm definitly not going to date again just based on looks. She may have looked like a model when I first dated her but when she thought she had me trapped, she started gaining weight and acting REAL possesive. Outside of her looks, there was nothing else, just an empty space between the ears with a "For Rent" sign.

By Thors hammer
By the sons of Odin
I shall avenge thee
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 15:33
guess you met one of the more superficial Models... met a good few over the past few years - found alot of them are just bitchs, there are some which are well educated and pleasent people
oftenly its the better looking ones which arn't like size 8's that actually look good and arent just acclaimed cause they can put one foot infront of the other

... which reminds me (^_^) Sam any word on when bunni'll be around again?

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 15:38
She said she'll b probably popping in soon, she gets a weeks holiday so she has more free time

Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 17:38
Lets see some pictures of u lot, then we can tell if we truly are nerds or not

Tha D'lithi'om CRR'ist'lls Can'na Tek it Cap'n!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 21:10
lmao... right now Rose holds the only picture of me i'll allow on the net - when and where she drops is, god well thats anyones guess lol

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 06:18
"letchy perverts"

O_O WHO IS THAT RAVEN... TELL ME... o_O i may be a pervert but i know a good time... (insert momma joke here)... heres my picture... sorry if im not "hip" or "in the best of moods " o_O but i was not thrilled O_O i had just finished the damned DMV test thing to get me permit... O_O

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 06:31 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2003 06:32
"5'9" and 140lbs (about 10stone),"

O_O well im about 6'3" now and 234lbs (i lost 16 pounds raven YAY [not my beutiful muscle... the flabby buildup over them completely taking away all shape O_O]... i think thats 17 stones...)

"For the record; I do have a GF."

o_O for the record i dont... -_- im shy/not very good looking/and extremely quiet.... DAMN ME...

"lmao... right now Rose holds the only picture of me i'll allow on the net - when and where she drops is, god well thats anyones guess lol"

oh really now raven o_O ... (looks in my documents) AHAHAHAHAHAHAH -_- and incase you dont believe me... (raven in kitchen walking to the right with his right hand extended smiling at the camera... O_O he is thin... not bad looking though [in a very non gay reasurring guy to guy not fruity kind of non-homo o_O not wanting to ram raven thingy kind of way....] <=-=- if that doesnt work i could add to it... tried not to be ofensive)...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 06:42
Quote: "[in a very non gay reasurring guy to guy not fruity kind of non-homo o_O not wanting to ram raven thingy kind of way....]"

ROTFLMFAO!!!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 06:43
Hehe, I changed my avatar to reflect my personality more accurately...

dinnertime hehehe

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 07:29
hehe nifty...

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 07:41
danmatsuma is a panty thief!

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 07:53
Lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 05:57:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 05:57:47