Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / STYX. More than 200 new commands for DBPro. Out Now!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 14:42
In case you missed the latest TGC newsletter, the Styx Plug In is now available.
Read more...

We'll also release some compiled demos over the next week.

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 15:51 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2006 16:07
this looks prety good... there's a lot of new functionality to add to the already overwhelming amount of DBPro commands...

...but i must question the usefulness of interfacing with COM or dotNET classes to instantiate DBPro objects... it would seem simpler just to use a dotNET language in the first place and be able to take full advantage of the classes you create...

i mean, and i may be missing something here, but isn't the whole idea of using OOP based on the ability to create self sufficient objects, from classes which enable these objects to take care of themselves automatically... DBPro has no built in concept of inheritance or polymorphism, and is not able to create a message or event raiser to bring these objects to 'life'...

in short, you're gonna have to explicitly reference each object and explicitly call a method or function from DBPro, for any object you instance... sorta goes against the whole class thing... don't you think...

unless you've implemented a means of calling an objects member functions (which would be useful), why go through all this when you already have user defined TYPEs in DBPro which would give the same functionality...

the rest of the STYX package sounds quite useful though... if one is ready to come to grips with 200 more commands, of ther already extensive list of exisitng DBPro functions available...

--Mike
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 16:15
The whole idea of the COM/.NET interface was to allow users to use DLLs created in languages like VB6 or VB.Net and so on as the inbuilt commands don't support those libraries.

Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
ahhh, ok... so exploiting the OOP functionality is really not a primary consideration then...

hey that's cool... and as such, this should be a big plus to a lot of developers here...

i guess i read a lil more into what was posted in the newsletter article... sorry 'bout that...

--Mike
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 19:02
The selling point for me is that interval system, been aching for that for years . My next project is very arcadey, so fixed frame rates, dynamic object handling, and reliable AI are what I'm planning, Styx should help a great deal.

''Stick that in your text and scroll it!.''
Net Commander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2006 22:27
Please tell me that Styx will load .NET v2.0 C# DLL's... then I will be really happy
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 20:25
Quote: "Please tell me that Styx will load .NET v2.0 C# DLL's... then I will be really happy"

Me to.
LarryGJ
Years of Service
User Offline
I almost didn't buy this because at http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=styx there is still this intro: "STYX is a new plugin for DarkBASIC Professional that is due for release very soon." I'm glad I ignored this, but others may not.

Larry

Larry
Net Commander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 00:53
Well I bought it and am glad to say I got my C# DLL loading into DBPro. I'll do a little tutorial on how to build the DLL so it is suitable for DBPro if anyone is interested...
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 20:07
Quote: "Well I bought it and am glad to say I got my C# DLL loading into DBPro. "

YAY!
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 22:25
@Net Commander
That's great news, unfortunately I can't test 2.0 on my system at the moment.

Quote: "I'll do a little tutorial on how to build the DLL so it is suitable for DBPro if anyone is interested..."

That's a fantastic idea. Thanks.

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 10:26
Quote: "I'll do a little tutorial on how to build the DLL so it is suitable for DBPro if anyone is interested..."

That would be really nice.
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 20:04
The main reason I bought Styx was because of the XML command set. The free XML plugin was freeware only, which is no good with a commercial game.

Also, the excellent INI, Interval and VB DLL commands are something I've been waiting for, for ages.

I bought the plugin yesterday and I've already got some working code for my game using the XML and interval command sets.

Great work on the plugin, I love it!!

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 22:18
too bad i spended all my money for my birthday already!

oh well,a new year approaches,so more money will also!

My arrival shocked some people maybe...but i dont seem to care anyway...behold my mights!
-Prince Of Darkness
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2006 01:02
Since we had several requests, here is the Styx Reference as a CHM file. It documents all available commands.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Tartopom
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

First, let me say that this plugin is really great, and make a project looks more professional.

Just one bug and a feature request :

Bug
---

* Using add backslash on an empty string crash the program.

Request
-------

* additional parameter on dialog commands, to select the parent window other than the dbpro one.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 17:41
Tartopom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2006 17:47 Edited at: 20th Oct 2006 17:48
And a fantastic customer' support.

Thanks
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 00:20
I've already got half of those commands, and I never bought them! I got them in a free dll somewhere in the dll talk. It has peek,poke,trim,ltrim (all the tring commands). The windows stuff can all be done from inside darkbasic. Oh well, the other stuff seems good.

Vidiot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 19:47
I've been using DBPro off and on for couple years but this is my first time on the fourms. I just bought the STYX add on and came in search of documentation. I'm a little dissappointed that there was no documantation attached to the download. It took over an hour roaming around here to find one file attached to one message in the middle of a forum. Can someone show me a link to where documentation is stored here? I searched the codebase for styx and it came up empty.

Also, what can I do with a chm file? Is that a help file I can use in the editor?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 01:28:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 01:28:14