Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Advice on MS licensing!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 00:27
Hi all

I have a meeting with our companys Board of Directors withing the next month and I am gonna advice them to update our small student network to Windows 2000 or XP. It is small as its only 8 pc's including the server all currently running win98 and it gives nothing but headaches.

I have looked on the MS site but can't find anything other than references to Open Licenses and stuff.

I realise it may be cheaper to buy 10 licenses instead of 8, but if anyone has any idea of cost or a good place to find information could you please inform me?

Theres probably one of yous who have been in the same situation and I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks for your time.
Dazzy
Athlon 2600, 1gb pc2700 ram, 160gb HD, 128mb GeF FX, DVD RW, Audigy 2.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 01:20
I would have thought that Dabs would be able to help there, or perhaps WStore...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 06:34
WindowsXP Professional comes with a 10Machine Base licence, so you can register upto 10machines with a single copy ... WindowsXP Home however only is a single licence

The same deal applies to Windows2000, the Server Edition covers 3 Server Machines, the Client Edition covers upto 5 Workstation machines on the Server Edition

part of the reason behind doing this was cause alot of companies had to setup special licencing things and such, so they just changed the setup to include all units, this also ment that larger companies with hundreds of PCs would end up with several copies of the CD they can send to the different WAN points.

however if you're in the UK - DABS would be a good place to start, so would DELL be for business Windows licences

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Dazzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 14:25
Thanks guys

I'll give DABs a ring!

Dazzy
Athlon 2600, 1gb pc2700 ram, 160gb HD, 128mb GeF FX, DVD RW, Audigy 2.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 23:46
Yes, they're pretty good - get all my hardware from there.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 05:39:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 05:39:17