Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Royalty FREE human model... from Simple

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 13:52
Simple, that annoys me about .3ds files imported/exported from max also, it's actually one of the main reasons why I registered milkshape, 'cos I can export .3ds files from max, import them into milkshape, select all vertices and weld them there. exporting a .3ds from milkshape leaves you with properly welded vertices
In max you can do the same thing, import it, select all vertices and weld them at 0.1 tolerance, then save it as a .max file, you're smoothing groups are restored

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 15:00
It was exported out of Milkshape as a .3ds ... then imported into Max and re-welded, but the UV joints still seem to stay like that ( I only get this with .3ds format.

If I load my model into Milkshape ( which is what I modeled it in ) it looks fine... same if I load it into Unwrap3D, Cinema4D >> it looks fine.

Once I export it out as .X ... it's fina also.

It just seems like sometimes the .3sd format can't make up it's mind when it comes to normals.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 15:21
It's to do with the way it saves the vertices, using uvw coords instead of mesh geometry coords, but .x is faster in the end anyhow, I'm using 1.13/enhanced and using .3ds files 'cos of the way I do mesh animation, but I'd surely choose .x if I didn't have to use .3ds for this...
In max, I make sure I join and weld the uvw vertices in the uvwunwrap modifier wherever possible, that stops it happening in either proggy, it's just that you'll always end up with these 'tears' somewhere, I try and keep 'em out of sight, but when you know what causes it you can plan ahead, and keep the tears to a minimum and in places that remain more or less hidden

JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Simple,

This is a cool model. I wish I had your skills.

I have two pretty-pleases:

- Add a bone hierarchy.
- Add some animations.

I'd also love to see you do it again but using JTEdit, so I can get some good feedback on doing a model of this complexity. I hesitate to ask, as I know you'll probably hit bugs, but I've put up a new release that seems pretty solid in terms of modeling basics, though I would stay clear of scaling frames (scale vertices or meshes instead), and watch out for anomolies in texture mapping (bug fixes for these are coming).

In any case thanks!

-John

John Thompson
http://www.jtgame.com/jtedit
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 23:31 Edited at: 3rd May 2003 02:47
Jat >> Give me a couple of weeks and I'll add the bone structure + animations.... then e-mail you the update.

As for modeling with JTEdit.... To be honest, I've been avoiding it because of the bugs. I was waiting for it to become a little more stable ( been reading your posts here and on RGT )

But as you've asked so nicely give me a couple of weeks, and I'll go download it then start on another model just for your test purposes... and I'll write down some notes when modeling it.

But at the moment, I'm really busy with something... But should be finished in a few weeks.

Simple

EDIT:
Does the animation functions support weighted verts ????

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

JAT
Years of Service
User Offline
Re: weighted verts

I don't have it in yet. JTEdit can display and edit an existing model with weights, and has all the internal for it, but I haven't got the UI for adding weights. Thanks for reminding me, as someone else asked about it, pointing out that it would be a good feature to have and one that some of the other low-end modelers don't have. Maybe I can get it in for the next drop, after I fix some more bugs.

Regarding setting up bone structures, how does that work with the game programs using them? It seems like some games expect a particular bone structure, at least in terms of the number and names of bones. Is this true? How do more free-form environments like DBPro handle it? Is there any convention?

Thanks.

-JT

John Thompson
http://www.jtgame.com/jtedit
Morales
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 08:12
nice thug but the boots i dont think thugs wear boots.
the face is rilly good... now that looks like a thug.
also if you wont to see some thug pic just go to a
sit like (south side) or like (south siders). me i have family
in gangs i know a think or two.

hope that helps.
arras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 16:51
Simple! why the hell you did him so flat ass? Explain...

Othervise my opinion is that model is fairly good and low poly. Just his eyes should not be so close to each other, seems to me...but I might not be right, there is simply something not fitting in his face to me.
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 21:15
He's got a flat ass cos he sits on it all day moaning that he has a flat ass !!

And if you don't like his eye's that close together... then MOVE them. thats what this model and texture is for... so if you want to use it and don't like how it is right now >> then change it.

And if you don't like it and don't want to use it for anything >> then get rid of it and delete it from your HD ( and make your own )

SIMPLE as that !!

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 23:35
It burns!!!

Caught by the Fuzz,well I was,still on my buzz
In the back of the Van,with my,head in my hands
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 06:44
ya know you could've always used the excuse cause he's white
oki so not ALL white guys has flat asses (^_^) but generally most do hehe

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 16:17
I don't even have an ass...

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 22:34
o_O Hey simple...what software did you use... O_O

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 23:01 Edited at: 4th May 2003 23:02
He modeled it in Milkshape...and rendered it in Max

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 23:07
:: eye-twitchs :: ... ya know puffy i have some nice new weapons, i know the town you live in and what you look like - perhaps i should come up there and show you what the barrel looks like close up!

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 23:15
lmao, Puffy, if I were you I'd get myself a bodyguard, fast!

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 05:11
hehe I have that software... awww come on Raven I was just curious... O_O what does he use to make textures?

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 05:20
I think he unwraps in unwrap 3D....maybe, then textures in Photoshop.

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Tech Demo - Colan Island: Currently 716 Lines
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 14:02
Yeah, what RPgamer said !!!

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 18:13
You should see Softimage Xsi's Texture coordinates editor

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 19:03
If anyone is interested, I got 60 of these dudes on screen at once at 60fps in 1024x768x16m mode. I have a 1.1Athlon with 128mb memory and a 64mb GF2 MX440 - very meagre spec.

DBPro could easily handle enough of these guys to make any game you like - 22 characters gives me 115fps, so for a football game, that's still a good 60+fps for the stadium and ball . 100 dudes was just insanely populated and only got 25fps.

All tests done with patch 4, 100 dudes with patch 3.1 got only 17fps. Worth pointing out, patch 4 limits the FPS better, or worse depending on your perspective. Like 100 dudes ran at a constant 25fps in patch 4, but in patch 3.1 the fps changed depending on what was on screen.

Note that all the tests were done with every specified character on screen at once - 100x1250 poly characters at 25fps is damn impressive.

Nice work Simple!

Van-B
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 05:00
Tight... o_O ack I'm gonna hafta buy Unwrap3D pro now... sigh...

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 09:06
No, no! What I meant is that everything was made perfect while the lower arms got something like a sharp edge around the fatter portion and it's very obvious. (Did ya get it? I couldn't explain it by words [b]) )
..... Just forget what I said.

.....What?
haXor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 02:21
Damn ur good at this, Wish I could do that. But right now im dtill tryin to learn the language :-s but the good thing is I can use this model for the main character for this lil game im makin right now. keepup the good work!

Sup Kids
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2003 20:16
simple great modle, im new at milkshape, how did you get it so when you move a limb, the frames are still connected at the joints. plese revil your secrects

As I walk through the vally of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
- Psalms 23:4
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2003 22:49
Blazer.... sorry, but you've lost me ???

quote:
how did you get it so when you move a limb, the frames are still connected at the joints.

It's not rigged for animation yet, as I'm working on another model at present... If you want some tutorials on how to use Milkshape, then goto my website... I have a few of PSIONIC's tut's on the tutorials page. Just download them.

Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 05:36
when you move a limb (forarm, bottom leg, hand, ect...) the edge of it were it's connected to another limb (hand: wrist). when you move the limb the frames around the edge stretch out, how did you get it to do that?

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 15:03
Erm....... I think I know what you are talking about, but when you refer to FRAMES >> you must mean FACES ?

So if you are refering to selecting a hand for example, and when you move it - it stays connected to the wrist and stretches it...... then thats because the model is a SINGLE MESH. ( not separate limbs )

It's a single mesh model because I made it for use with DBpro... So it will have a BONE stricture + a deformed mesh animation.

If you was using DBclassic .... then you would need to break the model up into separate limbs and set up pivot points and a link hierarchy.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2003 15:25
Simple,

That is an excellent model, but can I just make a quick suggestion, the arm looks a bit thin at the elbow, as if someone had pinched him heavily there. If you could make the bottom of the upper arm a bit wider and the top of the lower arm a bit wider I think it would look better.

Other than that, the proportions are pretty good and it is a pretty good medium as far as polycount goes.

As for the limbs, will the model ever get limbs or will we have to do that ourselves (not hard to do in MS though)

Do you want Windows menus in your DBP apps? - Get my plugin: http://snow.prohosting.com/~clone99/downloads/tpc_menus_102.zip
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 00:17
so that mode of animation dosnt work in classic?

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 01:45
NOT boned animation.

For DBclassic you need your models to have separate limbs with pivot points and then linked together. You then rotate the pivot points at the joints to animate the model.

Where as with DBpro ..... you can have your model made as a single mesh and setup a bone structure inside it.. then assigns the skin and weight the verts... then when you animate it, the mesh will deform and bend at the joints.

So if you want to use this model ( and animate it ) with DBclassic ... then you will have to chop it up. Basically you should select the "hand" for example, and at the wrist you should UN-WELD those verts... then hide everythig else. Now ADD 1 vertex just above the wrist and then just make some new faces connecting the new vert with the wrist verts.

Now you have a separate limb ( a hand ) .... you will have to do this with all of the limbs... i.e. right forearm - left forearm - right upper arm etc etc etc.

Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2003 01:51
thx, guess i should get DBP

Vid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2003 23:09
I went to your site to download the model, but the download link is under the text and is not clickable. can you tell me the url?
thanks
-ViD-
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 00:13
In your IE menu ..... goto VIEW + TEXT SIZE and change it to MEDIUM ... thats should sort out the text rendering on my website.

Or >> I could just fix the error !! cos I've just noticed thats what it is !!

Give me 5 mins ... I'll have to upload my downloads page again.

Siege Delux
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2003 16:13
NICE, Good work. Keep it going!

Dreaming Tree Games
ssj3_shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
hello all just wanted to say that if any one was interested i have animated the model made by simple (walk cycle)
and it workes perfectly in pro. .X and .3ds avalible

email me at The_ssj3_shadow@hotmail.com for a copy
sll origional credits go to simple for the model
and hey simple i want to ad u to my credits so if u can emil me with your name and such that wou;ld bee sweet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 13:47:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 13:47:45