Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Problems with object collision with BSP map geometry

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 19:21
Ok folks, you've probably already seen this question or similar in the Dark Basic Professional forum subject but I'm asking it here as this appears to be the more appropriate place.

I have created a small, simple BSP map with textures in Hammer v3.4. I'm using Dark Basic Professional (full version) running Patch v4. I can load, display, move around this BSP map and also activate camera and object collision using the BSP World commands.

Ok, with me so far? when I move a simple object such as a sphere with BSP collision index (1) enabled on the sphere, positioning using SET OBJECT POSITION, DBPro automatically repositions the sphere as expected when it collides with BSP Geometry.

This is all well and good, but my problem is, and I'm taring my hair out because I can no longer progress any further development, why do I not get any valid data from these four functions:-

BSP COLLISION HIT(1)
BSP COLLISION X(1), Y(1), Z(1)

All four functions return 0, irrespective of any collision between my sphere and the BSP geometry. Now before you go ahead and say the first thing that comes into mind, I have tested this scenario with a proper HalfLife BSP file and even a Quake BSP file. Both BSP files yield no results from the above four functions, they all return 0. I have provided a test program below to show you exactly what these functions do.

If anybody associated with the development of Dark Basic Professional can give a yes or no as to whether these functions have yet to be implemented or fixed or can provide me with an absolute reason as to what I am doing wrong, I will be overjoyed beyond description.

I've written all this because I cannot describe my frustration when comming up against a problem that brings the thing to a stand still.

Your help is much appreciated.
There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 15:35
At least one reply..... Please???

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 03:21
<---- Thinks to himself, maybe I was to harsh

"Man who looses key to woman's appartment...... He get no nookie" - A wise chinese man.
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Try the Demo BSP thing - there is code in that to detect a bullet/wall hit - does it work? If it does then it's your world - of not then its a DBPro bug
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 03:49
SonicBoom, If you're referring to the BSP demo under DBPro, it doesn't utilize the BSP COLLISION HIT command, that I remember anyway, it just uses the automatic camera collision detection.

"Man who looses key to woman's appartment...... He get no nookie" - A wise chinese man.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 23:39
I'm no expert, but maybe it's an all or nothing deal - Try switching off the automatic BSP collision and see if the collision detection functions work then.
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok well what kindof BSP demo is it if it does not show the Hit Command working.

Perhaps I recall the tutorial demo...umm yes here:

rem TUT6C
rem Control gun firing
set bsp object collision 2,BulletObj,0.1,1

rem TUT6D
rem Control life of bullet
rem If bullet collides with BSP world
if bsp collision hit(2)=1 or bulletimpact=1
rem End bullet on wall
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 06:50
Ok Sonic, I'll investigate the tutorial but I seriously think that it could be a bug. The reason is that the showcase demo for example failed to work using the new patch 4, Object collision was a bit spurious.. Yes, the previous patch works but it doesn't handle .X files very well, which is what most of my models are based on. I'll play with the tutorial to see if it is a coding issue I've implemented, but I suspect that it is a bug in the current implementation of DBPro. Thanks for your reply though. If you find any issues yourself with BSP collision detection, I'll be happy to hear about it.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 23:34
Hi, back again.... Here's an interesting issue. From my original post, BSP files created using Hammer or using a Half-Life / Quake level caused the BSP collision commands in DBPro to fail. Now, I created a simple X model and compiled it using the BSP/PVS compiler and OH MY GOD!!, the collision commands work. Right, heres the question.

How do I get the BSP/PVS compiler to include textures on the BSP file just compiled and is it possible to do light mapping on the BSP file, or X file for that matter?

I will be keen on any responses.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 17:15:55
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 17:15:55