Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Just wondering......

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 22:43
do MMORPG's really need a mothly fee, or is it a money scam? Some of the games look very cool (star war galaxies especialy) but I'm not going to get one as long as there's that blast fee
As I walk through the vally of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
- Psalms 23:4
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 23:18
I would imagine that bandwidth costs would be massive, so in a way, subscription fees are fair enough. Some smaller RPGs with less ppl using them are free, but it would cost them less to run

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 23:37
So we're talking about pay-per-play. This never used to be the case. You would pay a simple fee and play the game. Is the new fee necesary? Yes. It used to be that the gamer would provide the server. With a game like Starcraft, or Tribes 2, or Quake, or Counterstrike, the gamer would either host a game or buy a dedicated server with his own money.

but now, some games don't give you the "host" option. Take Planetside, for example, a game due to release within the next four years, that is pay per play. The way it works is, the battle is 24/7, on a gi-normous planet, and you fight for one of three empires for control of as many of the 10 continents as you can grasp. The game also has realtime weather effects on the planet's surface, including a full wind system.

Anyway, enough advertising, the point here is that the company actually provides the server. They have to buy the 20 some linux mainframes, at an ubercost, and supply the monthly bandwidth for thousands of players. That will cost money, which is the same reason why internet providers require you to pay a fee. It all comes down to who is providing the bandwidth. With games like Quake, the player provides the bandwidth, so the company doesnt need to pay anything. But with a game like Planetside, where the company provides the bandwidth, they would obviously need a fee.

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 23:42
nother question, were do you buy these servers and how much are they?

As I walk through the vally of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
- Psalms 23:4
Puzzler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2003 01:39
The only MMORPG i've ever played was "Tybia" (dowloaded it earlier today and got lost in ten minutes! )

You can subscribe for a free acount, or a premium accout, and as far as I understand there isn't much difference between the two.

If there was no such thing as a premium account etc. then there would probably be a charge for the software anyway.

Piecing together the puzzle of Dark Basic- Puzzler

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 05:29:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 05:29:30