Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / How do you make a low poly tree?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2003 00:11 Edited at: 20th Apr 2003 00:14
Here's my pathetic attempt at a low poly pine tree:

http://www.geocities.com/blazer_darkbasic/Tree.gif
must paste this into browser

is there a better way to achive this?

As I walk through the vally of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.
- Psalms 23:4
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2003 05:22
Yes, get a picture of the kind of tree you want to make, and use that as a template in a modeller. Make your tree as low poly as you can unles it's a feature in your game, like if you were doing a game called "the magic faraway tree" ar something, you'd make it quite detailed but if it's just there for atmosphere it could be a flat shape that always points at the camera, or have a 3d trunk and flat leaves, and just the leaves always point at the camera. You can make the leaves on a black background and just make that transparent so you only need 2 or 3 plains textured with that, and all positioned in such a way as when you look at your tree from any drection you can see enough to keep up the illusion. That's all you need to do, create a "suspension of disbeleif", no one's gonna study your tree too carefully if there's enemies bearing down on them with guns or sporks

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 13:39:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 13:39:18