Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / check out my first atempt to a realistic looking human head

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 02:48
CorruptionsMyth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 02:49
TRS80Model1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 02:50
Nice, much better than I.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 03:08
Ooo, creepy.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 03:13
it helps when creating heads to have 2 sides to them, front-side
you creat the vertex along the major points on the head from the side, then connect them and extrude the head points out then shape it'll give a very realistic look.

then use the vertex divide to get extra detail in places
but is a good attemp, might want to look at flipping a few edges/faces

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 04:03
Nice, I have a lot of trouble with heads myself. I'm not sure why you cut out the eyes and mouth, I would've sunk them back into the head to create eye sockets or for the mouth, a cavity.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
CorruptionsMyth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 04:26
i did not cut out the mouth and the eyes-it was make completely from vertexs and faces so the eyes and mouth were just like that- i plan on putting teeth in there and adding some ears and eyes

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 17:47
Not bad,just one thing though...When you wanna smooth out a model,you should model without using triangles because they look all criped when tesselated but since you obviously made this model in Milkshape,maybe I could refer you to a better modeler to suit your needs...

[href]http://www.Wings3D.com [/href]

and a few good tips to understand the basics of polygons along with subdivision surface(aka meshsmooth)...

http://coldfusion.art.msstate.edu/camenisch/thehumanhead/polysandsubds.html

Good Luck

Caught by the Fuzz,well I was,still on my buzz
In the back of the Van,with my,head in my hands
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 00:14
Lol...don't make me post my last characters head , Keep it up

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
CorruptionsMyth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 01:56
i have 3ds max 5 i know that is way better than milkshape but i cant find anygood tutorials for it

Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 02:04
I know how you feel. Believe me my friend there are SH*T LOADS of tutorials for max. Goto yahoo.com or google.com and seach for
"3d Studio Max5 and Tutorials" or something. Believe me you'll get the hits. Personally I learn better by just doing it, open that bad boy up and start pressing buttons! The intiution will come with time.

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
CorruptionsMyth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 02:06
i learn pretty good by just trying to but if i get a good explanation i fly threw it(i have only been working with milkshape for a few days)
so if i was to find a good tutorial for it i would fly threw it too and be doing even better stuff

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 12:17
difference between a Tutorial for Max and GOOD Tutorials for Max
the ones that come with it are the best you'll find generally.
I've seen some oki techniques from tutorials which have helped, but never have had a tutorial which is good at explaining the tutorial.

For lowpoly and character modeling within Max4/5 i'd seriously recommend getting used to editable Splines, as these are just the best for the job.
There is a tutorial out there that is rather slow and suggests that you make the outlines of the models and then fill the inside of them, but i've found the Mayan approach the best in this regards.

using the splines to split up a side section of something, using the crossinsert to get the vertex there ... i just wish there was a function like in maya where you could get rid of the redundant vertex which didn't cross section to make either a Quad or a Tris polygon.

hey can anyone tell me have they sucessfully run both Max5 and Max4 on the same system? It seems that they both corrupt the others licence, so every boot i seem to have to delete thier licences and input their numbers again... is getting annoying. gonna have to see if Brazil installs into Max5 cause i'm not too fond of the improved Render'r

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 17:28
Hmm, do you mean using editable splines with the surface modifier because those always came out really high poly for me. Would I be making too many splines or are you using a different technique?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 20:22
well i'm guessing you're not stupid enough to surface with the default 5 iterations

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 21:28
Yeah i would reccomend doing the tutorials you get with max and also popping along to http://www.3dbuzz.com and downloading the video tutorials if you have broadband.

KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
"it helps when creating heads to have 2 sides to them, front-side
you creat the vertex along the major points on the head from the side, then connect them and extrude the head points out then shape it'll give a very realistic look.

then use the vertex divide to get extra detail in places
but is a good attemp, might want to look at flipping a few edges/faces"

Gosh darnit. If I knew what that meant I may understand it.
I get most of the first para, and bits of the second.

My first "decent" head I made by using an idea I saw in a tutorial (while glossing over it). That is, to get a sphere and move the vertices to shape a head. I thought it was a better idea seeing as my point by point approach completely failed....Looks good!!
CorruptionsMyth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 04:44
ok thanks for all your comments even though my attempt at a human head looks like a really screwed up alien

http://www.dossproductions.cjb.com
*Corruptions Myth*-Doss Productions
"Death is only the beginning"
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 18:46
Raven, I'm using 2 iterations and don't want to use any less because my bezier curves turn into diamonds rather then curves.

I made a basic car model:
72 Splines and with a surface modifier of 2 iterations it has 3906 polys which is way too high for what I'm looking for.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 20:04
Do the same but with polygon strips...

Caught by the Fuzz,well I was,still on my buzz
In the back of the Van,with my,head in my hands
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 20:41
Exeat see thats the point in using the Meshsmooth/Tesselation - you setup the original iterations to 1 ... and then you tesselate/chamfer the edges

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 04:40
Interesting, I'll have to try that sometime, thanks. =)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 06:41:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 06:41:34