Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / Lawn Mower Joe

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't worry Gokz. I'm reading it right now.

Anyways I hate Groundhogs. So chances are I'll like this game, right?

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 21:20 Edited at: 17th Jan 2007 23:49
@Zedane- Thanks! Here's the demo, so try not to waste too much time on it (though i would happy in a way if it's fun enough to waste time on )

@Cian Rice- i don't know... that's a good question lol.

Teh Demo!

Demo .RAR
Demo .ZIP
(.rar is smaller if you have winrar)

what i've added since friday,
help "bubble" system, takes a string (and a time for how long it's displayed) and automatically inserts line breaks in the appropriate places to make it fit in the box. (the box is generated with some great codez that David Gervais kindly let me borrow)
Health bar & "Hog-o-meter" which measures how many hogs you've killed, in the future it may give you a number (ALA Madness Interactive)
Music and a few Sound Effects

Note: to change the resolution to 800x600 hit the key "1" in the main menu. (to return to 1024x768 hit "2")... this will be included in the options menu later.

Known problemos! Please read!

The text for the help bubbles doesn't appear when you change the resolution to 800x600
There are very few help bubbles lol
If the game returns to the main menu for no apparent reason. it means that one of the hogs broke through the fence and you lost (there will be a cutscene in the final game to inform you of this)
The health can go negative with no ill effect (except maybe crashing the program ). i haven't got around to enforcing this yet.
Sometimes at the end of a level you will get a error from sparky's dll saying something along the lines of "error during remove object(##) object not setup". This error is fixed in the current version which isn't uploaded.

also the loading screen is temporary. Really this demo is to give you an idea of the gameplay as that's the only thing that's semi-finalized. (although i am planning on adding chainsaw wielding hogs, but couldn't get them done by today)

Here's a screen shot for good measure.

--Peter

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 21:40
Umm the download isn't working

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 21:58
I have one. Contact me at Gokz1000 for IM or Gokz1000@gmail.com for MSN (or email)

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 22:22 Edited at: 16th Jan 2007 23:28
I uploaded it to Zedane's server and changed the link in the post.

Thank you!

[edit] .zip version up too now.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2007 23:24
That... was... awesome...

FrEaK_sK8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 18:00 Edited at: 17th Jan 2007 18:05
argghhi ... i just cant play that game .
its gd.
EDIT : no, seriously... i can't play that new version that you gave out. it gives me that "Send Error Report" msg . anyway, looks fake to me ( the error ) . don't know, here's the snap .

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 19:23
Another error to report, When playing it today (its addicting!), the game was reloading the menu after i beat the 3rd level and it crashed with an error. I don't know what i was but i'll make sure to take a screen next time.

Also, Get on MSN, it turns out your Music Source is not completely free.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 21:16 Edited at: 17th Jan 2007 21:46
@freak_sk8- unfortunately I'm not really familiar with the reasons that you would get that error... Is it possible that your screen doesn't support 1024*768 in 32 bit color?

Quote: "the game was reloading the menu after i beat the 3rd level and it crashed with an error"

yeah, i think that error was reported in the other thread, something to do with trying to remove a sparky collision object when i never made it (i'll see if there's a simple "if object exist(i) then delete object i" type thing i can do)

[edit2] found out you can create a collision object over an existing one in sparky's dll with no bad results, so i have no need to remove them from the collision like i've been doing... that will fix at least the error the guy had in the other thread (might fix yours if you got the same as him)

Terrorist Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2007 01:00
Haha, that was the best use of slaughtering animals in a game since headcrabs came along!

I love it, and if I could do anything to help, I would, haha.

Awesome....

www.tornupgaming.com
The home of free games and game projects.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2007 14:35
thank you!

i don't suppose you can compose music?

i recently found out that the music i'm using isn't entirely royalty free, so i'm going to have to either make my own (i do happen to have quite a few music makin programs sitting around i won in some previous compos) or find someone who can make it for me (i already solicited hawkeye ).

anyway, i'm going to try with what i have, but they aren't really made for country music, being packages for "dance", "garage", and something else.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 00:51 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2007 00:54
chainsaws- i almost feel like i spent to much time on these (3 days) but i think they'll be worth it

please forgive the 1024*768 image, it's just that the chainsaws are already really tiny on the screen... as a side note, there are actually individually animated links on these chainsaws... but they're so small you can hardly tell lol ... i might take these out (maybe only use them in a cutscene)

the best part really is the animation for taking it off of their back and swinging it at the lawnmower

[edit] oh, and i just noticed in this screenshot that when they're walking the chainsaw sinks into their back some... i fixed that now lol

--Peter

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 01:16
wow can't believe I haven't look at this for a while, good progress my man.

Click Me! Dolphins aren't Mammals, they're lizards.
Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 05:36
I don't know what it is, the game is simplistic and easy to pick up on, but killing those hogs is so much fun. Seriously if you decide to do a sequel I wanna help .

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 14:52
lol! This is fun! Although I got this message: "Runtime Error 504 - Cannot grab image due to an illegal area at line 1030" when I ran over a groundhog in level 3...
Btw, I like the music! It really fits in the game!

Programmers does a big participation in a game, yet they have the least credit.
Portfolio: http://mike-inel.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2007 14:58
@Seppuku Arts- thank you!

@Antidote- Thanks that means alot! I don't know about a sequel though...

Quote: "Runtime Error 504 - Cannot grab image due to an illegal area at line 1030"

heh, that actually means that your health got to 0... in that demo there is nothing to check and stop when your health hits 0 and it tries to make a sprite of size 0 for the health bar

and about the music, i got it from freeplaymusic.com... and it turns out i can't use it because it's not entirely royalty free i'm still looking for replacement music/music composer dude/the time to do it myself.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 00:06
Quote: "Thanks that means alot!"

No problem man! Now get over to my thread and post .

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 17:02 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2007 19:22
I hadn't noticed you'd got a demo together. I will have to check it out when I get home tonight

[Edit] Just played it.

It's a fun game. I like the flower 'explosion' when you run over a hog. There seems to be quit a long pause between levels but I presume that you will be putting in some kind of inter-level message and I got an error when I completed level 3 but I suppose that is because you only have 3 levels, so nothing much to worry about really.

Good game, I like it

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 20:34
@Scraggle- thank you!

Quote: "I like the flower 'explosion' when you run over a hog."

i hope you noticed that if you hit "1" in-game that it switches to gore? or were you doing that to appease "Mrs Scraggle"

Cassi
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the flowers.......I just played your game and thought it was chuckley. It was easy enough for me to play which was a good thing as I give up very quickly if the controls don't work how I want them to, however the levels seem a little long with not enough going on. (I don't want to offend you! Sorry) Maybe you could have fluffy pink bunnies to avoid when the flowers are on and evil badgers to avoid when it's the gore.

The music was as chuckley as the game and made me giggle!!

Mrs Scraggle
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 21:17 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2007 21:25
I take no responsibility for any fluffy bunnies appearing in this game!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 00:17 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 13:52
@Peter H

Nice one. Keep it up. I particularly like the way the hogs sometimes get carried along by the mower till they hit the fence.

The game difficulty was just about right for an old codger like me.

Edit: my wife likes it too (she did better than me and encountered the error that Scraggle was probably talking about) - see attached image file.

Attachments

citybee
Years of Service
User Offline
I love it! Those ground hogs don't stand a chance against the mighty power of the lawnmower! i cant wait until you put out the demo with the chainsaws on the hogs' backs. i would seriously like to help you and have you teach me a thing or 2 about db. oh, and do you have dark matter?

thx
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 21:28 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2007 21:30
@Cassi- (AKA "Mrs" Scraggle)
Thank you! I do agree that the levels in that demo dragged on a bit (lasted too long), unfortunately i don't have the time left before the end of the competition to add 'fluffy pink bunnies' into the flower mode

@Green Gandalf, thank you too!
"get carried along by the mower till they hit the fence."
did you also notice that when the hogs are attacking the fence and you run into them they get... "squished"? (but not if you run into them sideways, then they just go under the lawnmower)

@citybee- your message didn't show up on the board index so i didn't know someone else had commented! thanks for the compliments!
no i don't have darkmatter, but if you need help with DB i'd be happy to help through whatever means (AIM, MSN, e-mail or whatever)

Okay, it's groundhog day!

i thought i'd celebrate by showing a screen from the intro

--Peter

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 22:00
Interesting, the anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti noob justice league

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2007 22:25
yes that means i'm pro-n00b

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 20:40 Edited at: 9th Feb 2007 20:46
ok, here's a .exe with only the intro. so yes, it is supposed to crash at the end when he's riding his mower (normally it would go to the menu)

one thing to note, this is all done in real-time (i didn't make an AVI or something), so i'm a little worried there will be glitches in the intro on different people's computers.

screenshot from the intro.

[edit] yay! the upload worked (i didn't expect it to, it didn't work for me last time heh)

Attachments

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2007 22:03
Haha, that was GREAT!

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2007 22:38 Edited at: 13th Feb 2007 23:40
Thanks antidote, even if nobody else seems to like or hate it

I'm going to be coding my rear off in the next few days...

here's one visual adjustment i've made,

exhaust!

more exhaust comes out when you are running over a groundhog (which i just finished doing in the pic)

[edit]
also now there are exclamation points of varying colours to notify the player of points where hogs are breaking out.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2007 02:27
I loved that intro.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 16:06 Edited at: 17th Feb 2007 16:10
Well, i worked late into the night feb 15th since the deadline in my timezone was 6PM feb 16th (and i had classes in that morning)...

I made trailers to go with each level, since these are kind of supposed to be people's yards. 5 of those trailers i made the night of feb 15th and the last i made the next day

I also did alot of minor polishing, mostly cutscenes, and audio. neither of which you can see in screen shots, once i figure out how to upload the game ya'll can see it all in action, (plus if it's ok with the rules that i do upload it)

for now here are some screens!

bubba's trailer- (it's hard to see at this angle, but yes that is a double barreled shotgun)

Leanna's trailer-

Billee Bob's trailer- (better angle on the shotgun)

and my favourite, sunshine's trailer-

(notice the giant rubber ducky)

Good luck everyone who entered!

[edit] oh, lol, my last compile came in at 7337 lines.... ALMOST 1337

--Peter

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 16:28
So it was teet?

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2007 16:35
lol, that's what flindiana said when i told him.

if you want to you can think of it as teet yes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 08:29:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 08:29:54