Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Disk Read Error - PS2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 17:56
Ok, i need help, here is the problem.

I cannot play any CD/DVD/GAME/Anyhting on my PS2, it works fine until it comes to playing the game.

I have turned it on, put controllers in, put memory card in. At this point i can navigate around the menus, etc. Then i put a game in sit there for 2 mins, goto the browser menu to see if a CD sign is there and i get a Disk Read Error!!!.

This has been happening for a few weeks but after a few tries it works. I though a dirty lense was the problem, but after searching the web a bit i find it is not the case.

The fact is that Sony know about a problem with some early PS2's that mean they stop working after a while. But they never actually admitted it.

I know this becuase they have a section in the Tech Support and advise you to email the careline also if i did phone the line they would most likely replace the PS2 part for free.

Well, anyone else have the problem? Know any fixes? Or am i phoning sony and facing a probable £50 charge if they are in a bad mood...
The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 18:00
You should try turning it on it's side, or if it's on it's side, put it flat down.

I reckon it's a badly designed tray mechanism sliding off track - mine acts up now and again, this usually sorts it out.

Van-B
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 18:02
apparently turning it upside down should fix it, but how do you put the disks in?

I tried it at all angles, no luck

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 18:03
Oh and the upside down thing did not work

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 18:16
i'd call them an ask for them to replace it, did that with my PSone when it acted up - they say its free but after a 15min phonecall at like £1.50/min i'd hardly call it free
but cheaper than buying a new one (though personally i'd get my money back and get a Cube )

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 18:31
First off, what game are you trying to play? Can you play older games? Secondly, do you eject the game before you push reset when you change games? Depending on how new it is you might be abill to return it. I had the same problem awhile back, I bought a new one and sold the old one to a friend. I told him it was a little buggy so he took it to Walmart and got a new one, he did have a receat or anything, just the box.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 18:38
Ok, i tested all 59 games from PS1 and PS2. 13 DVD's and 2 Video CD's. Not working.

I tested em all from a 'cold' boot. ie turning the PS2 off with the switch at the back.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 19:04
Well, the PS2 is designed to work on it's side (cd drawer at top), or on flat down (cd drawer at right), when it's on its side - the CD drawer will hold a CD, it has a little lip for that very purpose. Just mess around, rattle it etc - be heavy handed with the bugger.

Van-B
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 19:06
Ohh - also, always try the browser if it does'nt boot up itself, like if it comes up with the memory card/disc browser, select the disk - it might just be the autoboot thingymajig (yes that's a technical term).

Van-B
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 19:12
yeah i know, spent too long trying every means possible.

Even loaded games up in debug mode to try and make it work, but luck there either

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 19:25
It also couldn't hurt to clean the lens, any camera store has lens cleaner cloth, open the thing and gently wipe the lens. That works for most cd players that won't read too btw. Although if it's still under warranty I wouldn't go opening the thing right up...

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 19:49
But if its not, it might be cheaper buying a new one, rather than getting it repaired.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 21:32
That keeps happening with my friend's one. I reckon it is something to do with the lens, my friend fixes it by keeping doing it for about 20 times until it works.

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 01:35
You proberly have to take it apart to clean the lens, a dirty lens will cause the types of problems you are talking about. Taking it apart will proberly void the warrenty.

The lens cleaner cds with the brushes are proberly best avoided.

As Danmatsuma said this happens a fair bit to audo cd players. Some repair shops will rip you off if you take it in to be fixed.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 10:59
Good news, and bad news.

Good News is that it will be free to get fixed by sony.

Bad News is that i got 3/4 weeks with no PS2

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 11:47
I've had 3 ps2s die on me. 2 were early models which Sony fixed for free. The third isn't exactly dead, but will only play blue disks upside down

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Oryaaaaa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 13:49
Hi.

By the Japanese PDF document, I wrote the DVD/PS2 lens cleaning method. Shall I make the PDF document written in English?

Download Site
http://www.vector.co.jp/vpack/filearea/data/hardware/av/index.html

What I rewrote in English is obtained soon below.
HP TOP>oldPDF>DVDLens(ENG).pdf
http://nagoya.cool.ne.jp/oryaaaaa/
I think on April about 25 that it finishes writing.
Oryaaaaa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 14:04
You finish with the work for only 10 minutes as you wipe a lens side with ethanol.

Download JapanesePDF PS/DVS LensClean
http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/dl/data/hardware/se279545.html

In order for you to read
Adobe AcrobatReader Ver4/Ver5
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2003 23:47
none of the other consoles suffer anywhere near as badly as this... i mean i've had my GameCube, XBox and PS2 since they were released - but gave my PS2 to my brother (cause i can't stand the bloody thing, and i didn't really give it he kinda just took it last time he stayed with me) ... but my other two consoles are played by everyone who comes to my apartment (and not Alexis's) which somedays seems like we know everyone in bloody south cali, almost never a moments peace - but i don't think i know many hour's they're not used and never had this problem with them.
Some DvD's have needed Rebalancing but no reading problems yet - sounds like a bloody poor and cheap lense within the PS2 to me

you'd expect more from the most expensive peice of hardware on the market (or atleast i would)

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 00:01
I've not really had trouble with my PS2, apart from my first one, the CD draw got stuck with a DVD inside it cos my Dad didn't know how to work it! Not sure what he did but it broke it good, but I got a free replacement and I havent had any trouble since .

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Oryaaaaa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 08:20
Hello ..everybody..

I rewrote it to English. "Adobe Acrobat Reader Ver4/Ver5" is necessary in your inspection. You newly may rewrite by you, and may distribute it as it is referring to this document.

HP TOP > oldPDF > Cleaning of DVD lens (ENGLISH) 320kB PDF
http://nagoya.cool.ne.jp/oryaaaaa/

When one year passes in Japan, it costs the cost of about 40 dollars in a repair for a fee. The period that requires it to repair is one week. The misfortune that happens to everyone and is gotten.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 10:40
Hey i fixed it.

£20 lens cleaner works wonders.

Now i am totally broke, so much for 10-pin bowling today

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 14:46
don't worry Oyraa we saw the tranlastion
and thank you

but it is a point to be taken that you spend $200-300 on a console, and you should expect some sort of quality from the machine to last more than a year. would you not agree?
you realise it is a bad problem when Sony release special informaiton on how to clean and state they will fixx this problem, which should never have arrisen in the first place.
I mean i've had my Playstation for almost 5years, and never had a problem with it reading - yet so many with Playstation2's have.

oh hey martyn, i'll have to message you laters you'll never guess what graphics card i've found selling for only £53
i don't think Kentaree could quite believe it last night hehee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 18:32:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 18:32:43