Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / im pretty sure i know the answer to this question but.....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 05:35
does c/c++ have the same language/commands in every writing program for them?
http://www.dossproductions.cjb.com
*Corruptions Myth*-Doss Productions
"Death is only the beginning"
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 06:34
That's not the way c++ works.

Simply put, the operators will be the same, but the other 'commands' are contained within header files and libraries which you have to include at the top of your c++ code to access (much like using the #include in db) So the language is virtually infinite.

Without using any c++ libraries the language is almost non existant.

So to answer your question, yes, provided the libraries you use contain the same functions.

Get yourself a book on c++ and join a c++ forum, and work through the examples in the book. If you use web based tutorials print them out so you can check your progress without having to switch windows all over the place. Don't expect to get very far in writing games with c++ until you've not only learnt c/c++, but also the functions of a relevant api, such as the openGL or directX sdk's. Prepare for quite a few months or even years of study if you intend to write games in c++, I personally prefer db to c/c++ because it cuts the development time by months and the commands are easy to remember, there's not much you can't do with db if you try. If you're learning c++ because you think you'll be able to write better games with that you're definitely mistaken, you may eventually be able to write games that run slightly faster, but by the time you've learnt how to do that, the standard computer that most gamers will own will be more than fast enough to run most any db game. If you want to program in a team for a large development company though, it's definitely worth learning

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
CorruptionsMyth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 07:20
ok thats what i thought-
no i did not think it would be better, i figured it would be harder because its alot more to learn but it is a bigger more commonly used language and i plan on going to college for programming with stuff like that not game engines like db, the only reason i downloading darkbasic is because i am also really into 3d animation-i was using rpgtoolkit before i came to this, but i saw this in a gamepro magazine i recieved a few weeks ago and saw how much better the graphic could be- i am not so much into making games i just like programing and 3d animation. when it comes to story line and crap i am nothing. so i plan on going to college to major in 3 things(if thats possible) 3d animation,web design, and programming(not sure what type of programming or anything yet have to look more into it).

CorruptionsMyth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 07:22
and yes i already planned on buying a book on it and joining a c/c++ forum but i dont know where a good forum for it is

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 04:54:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 04:54:26