Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Not enough video memory?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
AMD 1.4Ghz
ATI Radeon 9000 (64MB dual monitor)
256 PC2100
WinXP

This is my first post. I am new to Dark Basic, but have experience in 3D Studio Max and heavy programming experience. Heres the problem:

I built a (standalone) EXE of my game, which runs perfectly on my home computer (spec's above). However, when I run the EXE on other computers, the texture on one of my objects does not show up. All OTHER textures on the other 8 objects do, however, appear.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the other computers don't have enough video RAM or something? Two of the others had 32mb Video memory, while the third had 16mb. Maybe it works on mine because I have 64mb?

All my textures are BMP, 256x256. All objects are .x format. Polygon count is probably about 10,000 (for the whole scene). (Is there a DB command to tell you the total # of polygons in all loaded objects? --> 3DS Max counts faces differently I think)

The non-texturizing object is by far the simplest object, mesh-wise, on the screen. It has a total of 4 textures on different faces, where as the others have two. Hope this is enough information to get some good responses.

I uploaded a copy of the EXE (temporarily) to the below address. Its a 4mb download, would appreciate if you checked whether the textures load for you ( ALL OF THEM ) and what your computer specs are. Its in between an Alpha and a Beta release, so no cracking on it!

http://gecko.gc.maricopa.edu/~pbkelley/jerseysCorrect.EXE
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
AHEMMM 10,000 polygons is bound to be taking up most of the memory especially if its make in db classic try reducing the poly count you dont need that many for good graphics and if you think you do then code it in darkbasic proffesional cause it should be able to handle it better.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 10:49
10,000 poly's isn't that much really, think about it: 15 entities on screen with 500 poly's each, 1000 for a landscape and 1500 for scenery objects would be 10,000 polygons.
Make sure the textures are in the directory with the object/project, and also try re-exporting the object from max after reloading the textures from the directory where the object is to be saved. Now rebuild the .exe and see if you have the same problem.
Also try putting the 'flush video memory' command before you start loading objects in your source

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
OpticRealm
Years of Service
User Offline
Danmatsuma,
I isolated the problem to be the x file, so I replaced it as per your advice. All the textures were in the correct location and everything; i just re-exported from max and its working ....

I couldn't, however, find that flush video memory command. Is it available in the normal version of DB? Hmmm Whats a good tutorial for checking that the video card has all the effects you need?

Now if I could only figure out why its not colliding with .....

THANK YOU for your words of wisdom.

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2003 11:37
It's a 'hidden' command, just pop it in where you want to clear the video memory, I do it as a precaution at the start of a prog, and also at the end. The syntax is simply:

and for 3dHardware checking, straight from the help menu:

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 11:47:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 11:47:47