Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / Cian's Entry : The Legend of Tauru

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

Artwork! Anyways I kinda screwed up on the gauntlet and feet when I was drawing with the stylus, but it was early in the morning, so give me a break. =P

I hope to upload some hand-drawn art for you guys to see at some point as well.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
what program do you use?

A game- nvidia cancelled but preserved till ive finished the current

Game progress- 20 percent
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Well at home I use CS2, but at school I use CS with a Wacom Tablet.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 23:59 Edited at: 27th Dec 2006 00:04
I'll just let the images do the talking:

around here.. normal's just a setting on a hair dryer
The CodeSmith
Years of Service
User Offline
The game world looks really good, but I really hope that the blue wolf is just placeholder. The wolf is extremely out of place and needs to be made more "dangerous" looking. Keep it up.

I'm not who you think...
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 09:51 Edited at: 27th Dec 2006 10:04
the same from me. your world is not the problem as it seems that you can handle lights and stuff.
you easily can use some more polys for your character. search for some wolf images in the web. the legs seem to be too straight, no muscles. the body itself will work. do you work with bones?

http://www.xlectric.com/wolf/sightings1.html

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 13:49 Edited at: 29th Dec 2006 14:35
Interesting Looks like a good game so far, when will you have more screenshots up?

I like the Zelda games. Will the graphics be cel-shaded like Wind Waker? Or will they be realistic like Twilight Princess? Not many games use cel-shading anymore, but it looks real good.

"Did I ever tell you how I got the nickname the Dragon of the West?"
"I'm not interested in a lengthy anecdote, Uncle."
"It's more of a demonstration really."
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "needs to be made more "dangerous""

No. And here's why. He's not meant to be a ferocious creature. He's really just an adolescent outcast who doesn't want to get killed. He's not some ferocious beast like a common image of a wolf is. Plus, technically he's not a wolf, just a creature very similar to one.

About the legs, that's a valid point but at this point I really don't think there's much we can do because of time(based upon our schedules). But as the game will be continued after the compo I will put that on the list of things to do.

As for more screens. When they're ready.

Antidote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2006 14:10
Hey Gokz those pictures look nice. I'm a fan of that toon shader myself. BTW this was written on my Wii!

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good, the blue wolf acturally looks cool!

A game- nvidia cancelled but preserved till ive finished the current

Game progress- 25 percent
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Hows it going?

Game progress- 30 percent
Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 05:29
Tauru Dev Update 1-10-07
Well this thread has been sinking fast and due to the lack of show able updates we couldn't really post anything. So I'll just give a big update on whats been going on with Tauru and hopefully Cian and I can be better at updating this thread in the future...

Story- In terms of Story, the main plot was finalized before the last update but now we have finalized exactly what will be going on in the nVidia version of the game.

Modeling - In the last update you guys were given a taste of how the main dungeon in the game will look like. Now we have been hard at work designing the actual game world. We have gotten the landscape done since its mainly a desert (except it has a horrendous texture). We have a few test trees at this point and will probably finalize those in the near future.

Animation- Well we did get a bit of good news a few days after Christmas. Xenocythe returned and gave a rough version of Tauru animated and then said he would be able to deliver a much better version shortly. Sadly, Xeno's had computer troubles and is on to do other things. Cian Rice has undertook the responsibilities of Animator and is right now learning how to animate Tauru.

Programming- The engine has gone through its up's and down's and is in great shape at this point.
The Collision System was Completely Overhauled and now although there is clipping, we now have good sliding collision and it feels much better overall and is MUCH faster than the old collision.
I spent a few days developing a system to handle landscape tilting (Tauru tilts to the land) and Collision at the same time. And then by accident found a way to fake physics so that Tauru gains speed as he runs downhill (AMAZINGLY FUN!)
New aesthetic features have been added in as well, a message box system is completely implemented, and so is a function that will display the town you are currently in when you arrive (in cool flowing fashion)

And now for some screens:

"Aaaah! It can Talk!"

"Everything the light touches is our Kingdom"

"Pretty Water without the massive hit to the frame rate (coughfresnelcough)"

"That can't be comfortable" (I never said there weren't any bugs!)

"Landscape Tilting in action"

It's a bit too late for me to do anything more, But i hope to get a video out with more NPC's (and me running down hills) and other stuff tomorrow.

BTW, Dared: Its going well

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2007 16:15 Edited at: 11th Jan 2007 16:16
so... i was right about being a wolf eh?
(ze paw gave it away)

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Or... maybe the model of the main character from the first page gave it away. And it's a 'klowf' by the way.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 01:29 Edited at: 12th Jan 2007 01:30
oh... well i was dumb enough that i missed it... but if it means anything i was smart enough to guess it was a wo-... ahem.. "klowf" even though i missed it

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
looks cool but there seems to be a lack of light

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 23:25 Edited at: 12th Jan 2007 23:52
Dev Update :: 1/12/07

The model for Tauru, along with a few other models, has been 'rigged' in PaceMaker, as I am now handling the animations for the game.

The walking animation for Tauru has been started.

Tauru was textured but the texture needs a complete overhaul which should be done by early next week.

The desert overworld has been illuminated by the moon, thanks to Gokz getting the lighting done.

Artwork that will be used in nVidia version of the game for presenting the story is nearing completion.

Screens of the lighted desert will be up later.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2007 23:31
Quote: "he model for Tauru, along with a few other models, has been 'boned' in PaceMaker, as I "

If you want to avoid the jokes, use the word 'rigged'... Hehe Cian boned a model, mature aren't I?

Anyway updates are looking good, as mentioned I'd like to see more light effects, but I do know, engine first, graphics second.

Click Me! Dolphins aren't Mammals, they're lizards.
Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2007 03:40 Edited at: 13th Jan 2007 03:44
Quote: "looks cool but there seems to be a lack of light"

Right you are! I forgot to explain, the sun had set when i took those images. Since the game operates on real time lighting, and the only light in the scene at that moment was the moon, it was really dark.

Here is an image with the sun up in the sky:

And one with the moon:

For anyone wondering, the moon is shaped weird because i forgot to rotate it to face the camera at all times. I fixed that bug today.
Also, it took me a while to catch this (Yeah, I'm blind!) but, the trees disappear when the sun is up because of the shader. I'm trying to fix that right now.

Quote: "
Anyway updates are looking good, as mentioned I'd like to see more light effects, but I do know, engine first, graphics second. "

What kind of things are you looking for Sepp? I'm reluctant to add things like bloom as of right now but if there is anything in particular I'd be glad to give it a shot.

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 15:07
Looks great, but what is the landscape tilting actually for?

If you don't mind me asking, how did you make that message box? I've tried to make message boxes before, I can do ones with the monospaced bitmap font by having a separate sprite for each character, but I can't get non-monospaced fonts to work. I've tried printing each character at a time and using get image to paste it to the sprite, but that's very slow. I had to use a sprite because it was for a 2D game, otherwise the text from the regular text command would be clipped.

Quote: "Gimme teh code!"

Thank you for not flooding the forums with posts like this.
Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 15:54
Thanks for your comments Code Dragon.

Landscape tilting is there so that when Tauru runs up a hill or something it looks realistic. I think the name might have thrown you off. It's not that the landscape is tilting but that Tauru is rotating so that he is always touching the landscape (ie. When going up a hill the model will rotate on the x axis so that he is touching the ground at the front and the back)

For the Textboxes, I'm still trying to figure out how to do one character at a time too. At this time, When the textbox function is called it writes the textbox image to a bitmap and then writes the text over it. Then it calls the get image from bitmap and places the image on the screen.
The problem with this approach is that its slow, but i'm wondering how shaders are able to dedicate cameras to bitmaps and stuff and not have a problem. If I figure something out, I'll post it.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 16:30
Use memblocks instead of get image. Make a set of data statements for each character you want to be usable. Then make a function that takes a string of text and draws to the memblock using the data statements and fially make an image from the memblock. That is how I would do it but it may take a while with not much time left. Does indeed look good and I'm intrigued to see the game in action.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 18:07 Edited at: 14th Jan 2007 18:07
Brilliant, Thanks so much Teh_Coderer! Oh, and Cian has a video that he can post, but we have better stuff coming down the pipe soon.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2007 18:15
No probs. Looking forward to the vid and whatever it is coming down the pipeline!

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 17:43 Edited at: 15th Jan 2007 17:50
Quote: "It's not that the landscape is tilting but that Tauru is rotating so that he is always touching the landscape"

Ok, I thought that Tauru had the power to bend and warp the landscape at will. It could be a good way to implement earthquake attacks.

Great idea using memblocks, TEH_CODERER.

I just noticed it now, what's that bat-like creature following Tauru? I have a feeling it's like the Oracle of Time as the game is Zelda inspired. (If the white creature's not called the Oracle of Time, nobody flame me I'm just guessing. I don't even have OOT, I just found out some info about on this extreamly long Zelda video. WARNING: It's a very long video.)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8294987518457725387&q=The+Legend+of+Zelda+Retrospective

Quote: "Gimme teh code!"

Thank you for not flooding the forums with posts like this.
Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 18:38 Edited at: 15th Jan 2007 18:39
Thanks for the comments Code Dragon.

Quote: "Great idea using memblocks, TEH_CODERER."

yeah, and even better is that straggle posted all the code! (search BM Text or BM Font. can't remember which)

Quote: "I just noticed it now, what's that bat-like creature following Tauru?"

The bat thing is more or less the equivalent of Navi from Ocarina of Time. Rethen (the bat thing), basically flies around with you, and you can take control of him for short periods of time (when you find out how you get him it will make sense) to go into small holes or trigger switches, etc. He also flies towards object that you can interact with when you get close (like navi).

Were also considering using Rethen to attack things, but I'm leaning more towards using him to pull of combo attacks on enemies (He leaves a ghost image at each one you target and when you let go, Tauru leaps at each ghost in order).

You'll understand who Rethen is and why he is important to the story when the Demo comes out. I working towards a Demo sometime next weekend, and a video today or tomorrow.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
GokZ/Zedane basically summed Rethen's abilities up right there. But there may be more features for him, but probably not in the compo version.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
can we see some screenies of the bad guys soon?

working on character movement,powers and inventory, soon be doing monsters maybe
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Right now? No.

I hope to make a post later this week explaining progress and some problems faced, along with some important things pertaining to texturing, game-play and animation.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 21:10
Hi,
Your game is great,
I like it all.

Hoping you show more images, I would like to see the new ones.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Well hopefully next we'll have some nice things for you to look at. Possibly a video? Who knows.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 23:53 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 23:54
Hoping, to see that soon. I think your game is really good.
have you seen mine?
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2007 22:00 Edited at: 30th Jan 2007 14:26
Cian I have a question.
When you reffer to FPS, with wich parameters do you reffer.
With Sinc every loop an Sync rate on 0?

I just don't get it. But it seems important since everybody talks
about it.

i reffer for example: one post a demo and ask the others
what is the sync rate in their's PC's.
WIch parameters uses that person?.

in code?
Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 02:11 Edited at: 4th Feb 2007 02:12
R.I.P.

The Inability to animate Tauru, and a very unfortunate Hard Drive killed us.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, very sad. This competition is a curse. My HDD got wiped and now I'm left with ... nothing. =(

Spambergo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 04:29
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 15:04
Aww man! You have my sympathy guys. I was hoping that was a typo for W.I.P (work in progress)! Too soon for jokes? Sorry. Lol! Sorry. Lol! Sorry. Doh!
[Strangles self]

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
NOOOO!!! another person fallen out of the competition for pc malfunction

Who wants a Lemon?

I love lemons... and cats
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 19:48
Actually, thats 2 hard drive wipes that made this project get ruined

Sorry guys, I would have been able to animate if my HD didn't get murdered.

It was mysterious too, it stopped working because one of the little platform things had a whole burned into it...

-Mansoor S.

(Formerly Xenocythe)
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 20:02
I really liked your game.
Hope you continue with the project.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 20:31
Shame man, curse this age of technology. Well hope this does continue after the compo

Did The Buddha have a Zen micro?
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 21:07 Edited at: 4th Feb 2007 21:07
i started just yesterday to daily back up my progress on my game

sorry to hear about it guys, that has to be discouraging.

Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2007 05:06 Edited at: 5th Feb 2007 12:36
Thanks, For the Comments Guys. I couldn't have asked for a better reaction.

I'm planning to release the source code for the game along with all of the materials Cian Rice had sent me before his hard drive crash. Maybe one of you guys in the compo can find a function or two that will help you out in the future.

Quote: "Nooooooo "

My thoughts exactly.

Quote: "Aww man! You have my sympathy guys. I was hoping that was a typo for W.I.P (work in progress)! Too soon for jokes? Sorry. Lol! Sorry. Lol! Sorry. Doh!
[Strangles self]
"

And I wish that conversation I had with Cian Rice was a huge typo.. sadly it was a hard drive crash, and without those animations and some of the enemy models this project could never continue.

Quote: "NOOOO!!! another person fallen out of the competition for pc malfunction"

PC's don't like this compo do they

Quote: "Actually, thats 2 hard drive wipes that made this project get ruined

Sorry guys, I would have been able to animate if my HD didn't get murdered.

It was mysterious too, it stopped working because one of the little platform things had a whole burned into it..."

Well thanks for trying. We couldn't have asked for anything but that. You made the right decision though, after a hard drive crash you have much better things to be doing than making an animation for us.

Quote: "I really liked your game.
Hope you continue with the project."

Not Going to happen . After this failure, I've made a promise to my self to pick a game that i can finish realistically. I really want to finish something.

Quote: "Shame man, curse this age of technology. Well hope this does continue after the compo"

Like i said above, I'm going for something different. I'm thinking of making a level by level platformer, but i am going to throughly figure out what materials i will need in terms of modelling and animation. If the count gets too high i'll pick something else. Also Cian Rice had a cool idea on Aim about a game we could make, I may try and do that.

Quote: "i started just yesterday to daily back up my progress on my game

sorry to hear about it guys, that has to be discouraging.
"

It is, belive me. On the bright side,I love your game Peter. I hope it goes places.

And to everyone in this Compo, I really do hope you guys don't suffer any accidents and get your games in on time. If the source for Tauru can be any help, I'll be happy.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Not Going to happen . After this failure, I've made a promise to my self to pick a game that i can finish realistically. I really want to finish something."

I hyperventalated until i realised that i shouldnt hyperventalate

Who wants a Lemon?

I love lemons... and cats
Zedane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 22:54 Edited at: 6th Feb 2007 22:56
Alright Guys so here it is. All the Code to Tauru. Run the game first, if there's anything in there that you like, go ahead and take it. All the functions in the Engine.dba file are semi-documented. All the other functions are not really the useful.

We didn't really get much done after the first two weeks since we were focusing on animating Tauru. I've also removed the Z-Targetting and Fighting routines since they were never complete and buggy.

::What you can get from this::
- TextBox System- Custom system using d3d to print textboxes. Include the managemessagequeue function and Textbox subroutine in your loop. Use setmessagequeue() to add a new message to the textbox queue. Text comes letter by letter like Zelda.
- Camera - Legend of Zelda style camera. Won't get lost but doesn't annoy the user.
- Movement - Legend of Zelda Style movement, Object rotates to the selected direction before moving. Sprinting.
- Landscape Titling - One Function, Move_Object (Originally by RiiDii, ,overhauled to work with and landscape not just matrices by me) that when given your object will automatically rotate it to fit with the ground (if the ground is a slope then the object will rotate so all four legs are touching the ground, check demo).
- Navi like Character - Functions to have a Navi like character. Follows your hero around, can check for objects near it and fly over to them.

::Note::
- You Need installed
- Sparky's Latest Dll
- Direct3D Dll
- Recommended to have CodeSurge

- In Village1.dba, If you change Line2 to "CutSceneOver=10" Instead of "CutSceneOver=0" then you will see the opening cutscene. It's not really much but it does show of the message box system.

::Controls::
W,S,A,D, - Move Tauru
Up,Down,Left,Right - Control Camera
Shift - Sprint's
Control + Moving Mouse Up and Down - Sets Camera Distance

::Link::
Link to Download

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 23:33
Very generous! I like to do my own code but I am sure this will be incredibly useful to someone.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Just would like to say that even if GokZ/Zedane doesn't wish to continue Tauru at a later point I still do have some plan to make use of the character and mythos we had started to create.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 16:48
I look forward to it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 09:52:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 09:52:36