Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Lighting control

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2003 04:24
Ok, it's definately a LONG shot, but here is my problem.
(Only people familier with theatre lighting will know what I'm talking about lol)

My school has an old Strand MX 48 channel lighting board (over a decade old I believe, but in excellent condition, works like a charm).
We have it connected to a Strand Dimmer Pack via DMX multiplex link, so that's all good. The thing is, we want to have our lighting computer controlled, but we don't want to ditch the lighting board and invest in expensive software and computer hardware to get it to speak to the dimmer pack. The idea is to use the Strand MX's inbuilt MIDI In/Out/Through ports to connect it to the computer (this is what it was designed for, so yes it will work). The problem is we need light sequencing software that will accept MIDI control, and that will allow customization of the MIDI signals. I have the list of codes that the board uses to communicate, so I can set it all up, just need some software :S

I know, it's a longshot but maybe someone might know! Worth a try before we start spending mullah on systems we don't even know will work...
Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2003 04:39
well Yamaha and Creative have made some good Midi Interface Libraries, primarily they're used for Sound Devices - however i don't see why you can't adapt the input/output to change what is being told between the PC Gameport/Midiport and the Lightboard.

however it may just be as simple to wire up a makedo Midi(9pin din right?)<->Serial Port using a small PCB board to alternate the 9th Pin's data per cycle (should be able to actually send it in the same cycle because no doubt it'll be running at less than 60Hz)

would require someone who understand the PCB electronics side of things, and another guy who can program the assembly interface. so good luck finding them - but i think you can do it fine if you've already got the input/output signals known

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2003 04:51
Well yes using a MIDI keyboard would work, and sequencing a MIDI song to control the lights even better, but thats a short-term work-around if you know what I mean... this isn't just to patch together a show, it's for student training and such as well. We use our auditorium and it's lights many times a year.

As for the rest of it... I'm very confused

If anyone is interested:
http://www.strandlight.com/Manuals/MX/mx.PDF

is the manual, the MIDI codes are in there. Maybe someone else will understand it better?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 10:04:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 10:04:40