Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPS Creator 1.04 RC4

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 12:18 Edited at: 11th Dec 2006 12:19
Hi All,

Here is the link to RC4, and a commentary of changes made in this version:

http://www.fpscreator.com/betafiles/FPSC_104_RC4.zip

From the readme:

* Fixed SAVE/LOAD bug that caused objectives to be wiped. Now completed objectives are remembered after a reload
* Added code so that DEBUGREPORT flag works properly
* Added SETTARGETNAME as a new FPI action. Specify an entity name to force the entity using the action to target the named entity
* Restored test game release code (so the time it takes to free resources is less = faster text game exit time)
* When HUDTEXT is used, without any other image based HUD, decal in corner does not corrupt screen
* Added new feature of HUD DISPLAY (as in HUDMAKE=DISPLAY) which scrolls any text-only writing upwards when shown (prevents overwrite)

I am now working on some weapon related issues for RC5, specifically dealing with muzzle light flash, ammo reduction counter, bullet hole vs fog, twin guns and a few other bits and bobs. Anything urgent and critical, post here where it is sure to be seen.

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 12:21 Edited at: 11th Dec 2006 12:23
Good job, gona try it when i get home.

Twins guns like mirroring the gun to make an effect of double weapon hold?

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 14:24 Edited at: 11th Dec 2006 14:29
Oh sure; now that I just put out our Newsletter you put out a new update. It's probably a good thing that I can't keep up with the FPSC updates anymore.

-Keith

bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice update, I'll test it this Thursday.

Are the Loading Times faster?

Project FPS - 71%
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 16:54
Impressive, very impressive, Lee!

Fog works fine now, save/load features are back, objectives are being saved, fps seems to be more stable and with my test level the loading speed of the level decreased from 5 mins to just over 3 minutes. Test levels exit fast again.

Only 2 things I've noticed, the engine still doesn't create dds texture files, even if v1.0 did do so on the items I've tested it on.

Second thing I've noticed is that when loading a saved games, the enemy AI scripts don't seem to be activated, the enemies just stood there picking their noses . It only happened once, the other times it worked fine, so it may not be a bug at all, let's see what other find.

One remark about the fog, it still seems to be pretty far away, as far as I'm concerned it could be starting even earlier, not sure what others think of that.

Didn't test the new feature of HUD DISPLAY yet, I'll hopefully get around doing so later.

All in all, this is the best one for now!

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 17:14 Edited at: 11th Dec 2006 21:27
Lee a couple of us have noticed that throwing objects at enemys does no damage is this intended or is there a bug in the system? as apparently it does damages objects such as doors and it also seems the value given for physics force doesnt affect these situations, also could you fix the plrdrop command please it seems to do nothing when i presume it is intended to drop the current equiped item?

Thanks
Adam
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 20:19
Lee, check yer email......

RF

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 20:49
cool. im downloading this!

"these shoes are 300 hundred dollars"-Shoes by Kelly http://smallgroup.be/
Gam3r
Years of Service
User Offline
is the framerate fixed between rc2 and rc3 it got a bit slower

The Beta Cell Website 3% http://tbc.redlime.org
Wanna help me make an all new FPSCreator Resource website?
Submit your media for public use here! http://fpsc.redlime.org
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 22:11
I tried this latest version. RC4 Speed wise its about the same as 1.04RC3 for me so not fast enough for my games due to the AI drain.

I dont believe Lee is working on these AI speed optimisation issues at the moment so it may not improve for a while.

Ive not tested for other issues as I dont have much point while I have the issue with the fps.

Back to RC2 or back on the shelf for me.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 22:44
UMAN, I sent Lee my two .fpm's in question. and I sent him some crash.rtf's as well. I hope this helps him a lot more.

Speed issues- still slow
Fog numeric R.G.B values are two digits off of what they are supposed to be.
AI drain like. Ha my games has been benched like a fat chick in dodge ball!

RF

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2006 23:56
Guess I'm lucky then. The level I'm working on runs 21+fps and I've got over 25 enemies in it (and some npc's), lot's of pickups and a good number of entities. But more speed gain is always welcome.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 00:36 Edited at: 12th Dec 2006 00:37
Reality Forgotten,

Thanks for you postings and findings. We know that its going to be slow or slower than 1.04RC2 around 20% apparently and if that does not suit me well im the unlucky one. Tough on me.

Benjamin A,

Not sure that you are lucky but I think you have indicated you are generally very happy with FPSC - thats great.

I would prefer if I could maintain higher speeds than 21fps. Ideally I would need around max fps constantly overall for my games which 1.04RC2 returns for me so when I know its achieveable and seen it in FPSC I guess I am a dissapointed when it drops back and loses 20% off the former fps.

I am sure we will all be rewarded for the wait long term - its great to see FPSC moving forward and being developed by TGC in all these other areas and they are important too for many users.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Gam3r
Years of Service
User Offline
i was reading through the fpsc-game.exe v.1.01 source and i saw a lot of multiplayer stuff if that was gone would it make it faster or a smaller size

for now all i want to see is a constant 33 fps framerate with a medium-large level

Lon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 01:59
It appears that fog is on all the time. I can edit the global script to turn it off, but its still there. What made me notice is that the levels I lay out are now much darker looking than before, that is until I get up to the light.

Lon

[url=http://webpages.charter.net/lflicking/]
Slayer Simon
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee, FPSC really needs a limit on the amount of ammo you can carry for each gun.
Gam3r
Years of Service
User Offline
jut dont allow them to pick up the weapon and place less ammo around the level

Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
ammo reduction counter

Are you talking about the bug where the counter is off, or something else. For instance when I shoot 2 bullets only 1 is decremented.

He said, "You drink when you're lonely." No I drink when I want!
He said, "You'll never be sober." Sure. Why would I want that?
drew4663
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Lee -
I see that you are working on bullet holes for the next update. When you swing the bat, axe or knife (model pack 5)and it hits the wall it leaves a bullet hole decal instead of a slash decal. Could you maybe impliment this as well? Or, is this something I can change on my own and I don't know it yet?
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 04:24
@Urlforce Studios - Prehaps it is because you gun is shooting two at a time? (there is an option for it in the guns settings, set it to 0 and it is fine)

@Lee:

The settargetname command doesn't seem to work Here is my code, though it only points the character to the upperleft corner of the map:

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 08:54
Lon,
If you have the fog turned off in the global script (and you might check to see if it is turned off in your game's setup.ini file as well...you know how quirky FPSC is...) then there should be no fog.
There are various scripts in the scripts form that will turn the fog on and off and they work pretty well.
If you have the fog turned off in the setip file and the fog is still there when you play your game you might be able to use one of the fog scripts to kill it.

Slayer Simon,

Quote: "just dont allow them to pick up the weapon and place less ammo around the level"

Couldn't have said it any better myself.That is an issue which you can directly control.

At this point FPSC seems to be loading and unloading test games a lot quicker (though it still hangs up a little in the loading active guns/loading start guns section.
My FPS seems to be a little higher but there is still somewhat of a speed issue.

Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 09:03 Edited at: 12th Dec 2006 12:54
RC4 works ok for me.

@lee, sorry if i'm a bit cheeky but after RC5 is done, would it be possible if the next update has the raider or motiontracker that was shown in the FPS Creator Walk-thru Video?

The one and only Davy B
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 11:47
Quote: "Not sure that you are lucky but I think you have indicated you are generally very happy with FPSC - thats great.

I would prefer if I could maintain higher speeds than 21fps. Ideally I would need around max fps constantly overall for my games which 1.04RC2 returns for me so when I know its achieveable and seen it in FPSC I guess I am a dissapointed when it drops back and loses 20% off the former fps."

Uman, I would prefer higher speeds then 21fps also and have over 30 all the time. The 21fps is my own doing, I'm stretching it to the max. If I play on safe I will get higher framerates. I also need to take into account that I've got a fairly 'slow' computer (2GHz CPU, Radeon 9600), a lot of people around here have much faster ones, so when I'm getting 21fps at the lowest most people will have it slightly (or a lot more) faster then me. Knowing that makes me content.

BUT.... having over 30fps all the time would be great, but I'm not counting on it all, especially when doing very complex levels. Also AI scripts seem to have such a huge influence on the framerate, I'm afraid to get the higher framerates, Lee will have to do a major overhaul in the scripting department and the way the engine handles scripts. That's a lot of work and I'm simply not counting on that. In the end I'm afraid it will be the case where 95% of the users are happy with FPSC and the other 5% isn't.

Looking at my release of Commander Josh and how smooth it runs and even being able to get a publishing contract, I can only be content with FPSC. I've found the middle way with FPSC and it works well for me. With RC4 I'm up to the same speeds again then I was with V1.0.

I've just tested one of the most demanding levels from Commander Josh and it runs 30fps most of the time with an occasional drop to 28fps. That's even better then V1.0, since with V1.0 the occasional drops are on 25fps.

So yes, I'm very content and what else can I be? Maintaining the speeds of V1.0, even gaining at times and having save/load, fog, bug fixes, faster level loading and more stabilty, how can I be unhappy?

I know some want more, but I've decided already a year a go to find FPSC's limits and stay within those boundaries as much as possible. If you do so FPSC works very well and can turn out some very cool projects, good enough to even find a publisher. To be honest I don't see the use constantly trying to push FPSC over the edges as some people try to do, that's just not being realistic.

You're right about me being lucky or not, it has nothing to with it. I'm just playing it on safe most of the time, that's why I do get excellent results. If I want I do get 30fps all the time and I hope you will get it also one day.

Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 12:49
Found an error, when the game was nearly finished, this error came up when the sky was been built, i'll email lee and show him if he's not in the forum room. If anyone else gets this post it, if not, then it just my levels.

The one and only Davy B

Attachments

Login to view attachments
assaam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2006 18:02
Lee, thanks for this new Update!
The only thing I worry about is the command "settargetname" which still doesnt work. Could you fix it plz?

the other sentence is right.
the other sentence is false.
-i am not a psycho!
one must fall
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, i installed the update, but now whenever i run fpsc, it never loads. i even leave it alone for 2 hours and still doesn't load. so i have to stay with RC 3.
Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 00:02 Edited at: 13th Dec 2006 00:04
@ one must fall

Quote: "ok, i installed the update, but now whenever i run fpsc, it never loads. i even leave it alone for 2 hours and still doesn't load. so i have to stay with RC 3."

Reboot the computer then try it.

The one and only Davy B
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 09:23
Quote: "I am now working on some weapon related issues for RC5, specifically dealing with muzzle light flash, ammo reduction counter, bullet hole vs fog, twin guns and a few other bits and bobs. Anything urgent and critical, post here where it is sure to be seen."

Can one of these 'bit and bobs' please, please, PLEASE be the ability to remove stuff from the library! I've lost a few WIP because I've added stuff which was then deleted from disk or become corrupt and not being able to remove them means the game won't work.

Pretty please, with a cherry on top?

DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2006 11:38
^^ I'm with NickyDude, i'm way with him, it's about time we get the that little tool.

(Sorry for this little spam, but.... we need a tool so we can remove segments/entities from our game project library.)

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 04:48 Edited at: 14th Dec 2006 04:52
Yeah this is one of the most important fixes that can be done.

Please allow us the ability to remove unused items in the left column. This casues many problems for teams that work together.

Thank you
Loc
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah this feature is a must and an important one the ability to remove unused items in the left colum would save a lot of problems.

thanks you s4

Im a wizz at texturing toilets
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 04:55
Quote: "The settargetname command doesn't seem to work Here is my code, though it only points the character to the upperleft corner of the map:

"

*cough cough*

Is there something special we should do for it, like all caps or something?

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 05:02
I have a problem that I didn't have before this new update. did anyone else have this happen.
I put one of the Maintances Corridor Straight and now part of one side is missing?
See screenshot..

Attachments

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 05:04
Weird - bad area box maybe? Is it on the edge of the level? Try putting a floor next to it, maybe that will help, or re-place the segment.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 05:06 Edited at: 14th Dec 2006 05:12
tried twice now with restarting the editor still the same thing.
Going to try some thing else see if it does it?
``````````````
Well the other corridors work fine it is just the one Maintenices one .

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 05:35
Rather than start a new thread, this one is quite new and RC5 was developed quickly, so I will link it here for those who want to test it against their projects:

http://www.fpscreator.com/betafiles/FPSC_104_RC5.zip

And the changes are:

* Muzzle flash now duplicated (for twin weapons) if FIRESPOT02 limb detected in HUD.X of weapon model
* Changed smoke emission position for guns from brasslimb marker to smokelimb marker (if smoke limb exists)
* Extended smoke and brass ejections to a twin gun system if FIRESPOT02, SMOKE02 and BRASS02 limb names used
* Changed tradgectory of brass ejections to orient on the gun, and expell to the right and down (more realistic)
* Added new fields to GUNSPEC.TXT called MUZZLECOLORR,MUZZLECOLORG,MUZZLECOLORB to control spot light flash colour
* Changed GAMECORE\BULLETHOLES\ to an alpha based approach (so bullet holes can work in cooperation with fog modes)
* Zoom accuracy is now affected by a new GUNSPEC.TXT settings called ZOOMACCURACY (0=deadly accurate) - multiplied by zoom factor!

I am taking on board the request to be able to delete things from an existing level so you can make room. My current thought is that if you SAVE your FPM, and the map does not use ANY of the selections in the left-side panel selection list, it will remove them completely from the list so when you load it back in those items are done. This way the left-side panel list acts more like a workspace you temporarily place things into, and are only retained if used in the map. This will be in RC6, unless there are objections to the approach. I do not want to fix bugs under V104 indefinately as I feel we need to release an official update for the main site at some point before Christmas. I think we are getting close to the final Release Candidate before we can happily step up to V105 and continue the hunt.

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 05:44 Edited at: 14th Dec 2006 07:26
Quote: "My current thought is that if you SAVE your FPM, and the map does not use ANY of the selections in the left-side panel selection list, it will remove them completely from the list so when you load it back in those items are done"

The best way to go about it I think.

Request- Can you add a feature for a trigger zone to call on multiple objects? This would a very nice feature. also is there a way for a random spawn? based on the trigger zone area.

Also I think adding a bit to the MP side of the house would be a great thing to do. Like the ability to save up to 8 maps to one mp build. and add dynamic entities to mp as well.

Thanks for the updates!

RF

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 06:38
Oh my bloody firey place down below. Another update already? HAHA, there is already 5 for v1.04. This makes me laugh, don't know about you but it makes me laugh.

Being able to rid the unused items in the library is an excellent idea.

Quote: "Also I think added a bit to eh MP sideof the house would be a great thing to do. Like the ability to save up to 8 maps to one mp build. and add dynamic entitied to mp as well."

Please?!

Tiggle Bitties

madness
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 08:20
This mostble has been braught up many times, but my games take forever to load once they have been built, is there any resolution to this, because when i try purchased games they load very fast and they are highly detailed. But i guess i really should try this Release since i haven't applided any patches yet :S.

But hopefully if this isn't still all that fast that it can all be fixed.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 09:08 Edited at: 14th Dec 2006 09:18
Quote: "My current thought is that if you SAVE your FPM, and the map does not use ANY of the selections in the left-side panel selection list, it will remove them completely"

Thank you

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 11:32 Edited at: 14th Dec 2006 11:32
Quote: "My current thought is that if you SAVE your FPM, and the map does not use ANY of the selections in the left-side panel selection list, it will remove them completely from the list so when you load it back in those items are done. "

Sounds good to me. Just to make sure, will that make sure the redundant entities and segments are completely gone from the map also? Now when playing a level, the engine will also load all of the redundant items, making the level load time even longer then it already is. I'm assuming your approach will eliminate this problem also?

Quote: "Changed GAMECOREBULLETHOLES to an alpha based approach (so bullet holes can work in cooperation with fog modes)"

Excellent, I was going to contact you about this, the black around the bullet holes when using fog looks rahter ugly. But you're ahead of me now.

Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 13:46
On my other post about RC4

Quote: "Found an error, when the game was nearly finished, this error came up when the sky was been built"

This happens with RC5 as well.

The one and only Davy B
Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 15:55
Here is a snapshot.

The one and only Davy B

Attachments

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2006 16:15 Edited at: 14th Dec 2006 16:22
Oh, in the way of weapons, I have a suggestion:

It could be a new option in the gunspec, in case people don't want it that way, but basicly it would make accuracy more realistic. Instead of offseting the hudoffset+3 object (or whatever it was), rotate it and move it. That way, up close it is really accurate, but affar it isn't. You may want to multiply the accuracy by 0.1 or something though, as with default FPSC weapons may be far to inaccurate.

EDIT: I also found a bug with the bulletholes. I attached a screen.

Further more, I know how to fix the projectile scorch! Just perform a raycast at the position of the projectile when it explodes. Basicly, take it's last position (or something) and raycast it to the point of the collision. Then add the scorch. Ta da!

EDIT 2: By the way, the projectile scorch, it does work that way, because if you shoot the ground with a bullet weapon then shoot the wall or something with a projectile weapon a large scorch appears there.

Attachments

Gam3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 03:18 Edited at: 15th Dec 2006 03:19
Jenkins,
Quote: "
Oh my bloody firey place down below. Another update already? HAHA, there is already 5 for v1.04. This makes me laugh, don't know about you but it makes me laugh.

Being able to rid the unused items in the library is an excellent idea.
"

RC means release candidate for a reason you cant just release a full version and expect it to have the best outcome

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 03:18
Quote: "Added new fields to GUNSPEC.TXT called MUZZLECOLORR,MUZZLECOLORG,MUZZLECOLORB to control spot light flash colour"

How do we implement this? I checked the gunspec.txt file and it's not added. I am sure I have to add it but where do I add it? and do we use HEX color code?

I'm going to start a thread called "RC6 requests".

Regards,
RF

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 03:44
ok cool, what section of the .txt file do i place them?

RF

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 04:03
Cheers mate! That Was confusing the heck out of me. thanks for clarifying that for me.......

Regards,
RF

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 04:44 Edited at: 15th Dec 2006 04:53
It actually doesn't matter where it is in the file - positioning is just a matter of orginization, really.

EDIT: Oh, Lee, when you were asking what people wanted in the way of expanded arrays...

Quote: "dim gunsound(100,5) as gunsoundbanktype"

Mind boosting the maximum sounds? Would be quite helpful.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2006 06:04
Quote: "RC means release candidate for a reason you cant just release a full version and expect it to have the best outcome"

Do you have any idea what I was saying? I'm not saying it is bad or anything or absurd or things of that nature. It just makes me laugh that there is ALREADY 6 new versions of 1.04. It seems like 1.04 was just released. And then all of a sudden, 5 more pop up.

I can't wait to download the new version when it is 100% fixed. Being able to delete unused items from the library is an awesome update.

Tiggle Bitties

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 01:33:35
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 01:33:35