Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / textureing models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 00:39
i've made some models of building and now i need to texture them. heres the problem i need to texture individual parts of the model with different texture. Is there a particualy good bit of software that will do this if indeed it can be done or do i have to texture each part and then put it togeather if so again what software should i use. thx

seeya
dudeman
Newbie Now; Expert Later
Current project: non
http://www26.brinkster.com/dudemansoftware/
koolaid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 07:56
what program did you build them in (milkshape?)the program you used should allow you to texture them as well
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 16:52
i used Doga if that help

seeya
dudeman

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Rollit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 18:25 Edited at: 28th Apr 2003 18:29
hi,
I do not know Doga, but generally the easiest way as long as the software supports it is to project UV and apply textures to faces separately.

for example one side of the building has

- the bottom in dark concrete, (1 meter tall)
- the middle is in white with windows, (2 meters tall)
- and the top is dark brown (1 meter tall)

let's do the example on a section of this side wall, 1 meter wide and 4 meters tall

(ugly building... but this is just a simple example and we are assuming you do not want to use one single texture to strech-cover to whole side of the building)

you would have the full whole divided in 4 faces...

bottom face = bottom 1 meter
middle face = middle 2 meters
top face = top 1 meter

now you would select in your modelling program each face one a the time....(let's say you already have you 3 textures loaded in your modelling software)

select bottom face and apply UV mapping to it.... then apply the texture for the dark concrete

select middle face and apply UV mapping to it... then apply the texture for the white wall with window

select top face and apply UV mapping to it ... then apply the texture for the top dark brown section

all the faces are part of the same obejct, when you select an object you are selecting the whole model, but when you select the face you are in a sub-selection mode... wich include faces, vertexes, edges....)

in the case of flat surfaces like the secitons of a wall you would project UV mapping fromt the perpendicular axe to the face... so if the side wall looks on the X axe of your 3d coordinate system... you would do a UV projection from X...

NOTE this is only an example.... the number of faces will have to be a compromise with the rest of the game... the more polygons you have, the bigger the textures you want to use, the more the number of textures you use... = the slower your game will be (generally speaking)

also it depends from the amount of detail you need...
for example if you want to go for top detail... you could use 3 separate textures each 512x512, one for each section/face of your wall from bottom to top...

BUT: if that's too much (in games you always need to compromise) than what I would do is maybe use one 512x512... or 256 wide x 512 tall... and on this single image I would put the graphix for all 3 wall sections... than with a good modelling/texturing program it will be a simple matter of playing around with UV-points...
for example
I select the bottom face....
I apply UV mapping
I apply the texture
THEN in your modelling program UV editor View (if you have one) you wold manually move the UV mapping of the bottom face over the section of the texture where you dark bottom wall graphix are

other ways are by using unwrapping plug-ins for your modeller etc... in this case a wireframe sort of image will derive from your sidewall and you take this image in photoshop (or other 2D graphic software) and you would paint your texture on the wireframe...

I hope this gives you an idea of what you can do...
I'm sorry I do not know this DOGA software so I cannot give explicit help on Doga

Good Luck
Rollit

ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 19:27
no thx for the explaination a UV project do work and solve my problem but doga does not suppport it so is that a Free software package that lets you import a .x file and then texture it and then export it as a .x file
thx again rollit

seeya
dudeman

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Prime_8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 05:18
look for a user' named Simple.

in his sig is a link to his web page ... on his web page's DL section is a app called Lithium unwrapper.

it will do what you need and more .. . takes some time to get used to but it will do what you need for shure ..

be shure to DL teh free version ..till you know it and will be modeling enough to buy teh new "pay" version..
PS Don't bug simple about it either (he did not write it) .. he only keeps a link to it incase aboob like me formats my drive and losses all my good apps. LOL

Old coder, returning to DB (DBP)
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 05:28
PS Don't bug simple about it either (he did not write it) .. he only keeps a link to it incase aboob like me formats my drive and losses all my good apps. LOL

Just click my sig

It's version 1.3, and was the last FREE version they made... I host it so peeps can find out how it works + what it can do.... but I do recommend buying the FULL version.

Bolthouse Software have just released Unwrap3D v2.0 ... and Damn ! it makes UV life much easier !!

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 21:45
thx simple
dudeman

Newbie Now; Expert Later
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 23:30
sorry about this but has any one got a tutorial for unwrap coz all i get is a square. I think this is what i'm supposed to get. I read simple tutorial for "Skinning The House" is there any way i can do that. Can i do it with a trial version of milkshape.
any way there what i get

this is the model any way

p.s. thx and sorry about all the qs
seeya
dudeman

Newbie Now; Expert Later
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 23:51 Edited at: 29th Apr 2003 23:54
can someone tell me why me picture never work

Newbie Now; Expert Later
ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 02:49
guys don't take this the wrong way but can some please answer me because if you see my screen shots you will see that i really need to do these textures.(if you see the screen shots i need to texture the buildings).
thx
seeya
dudeman

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 03:23
Well...... first off, it's best to group your model..... for example >> roof - door - window etc etc etc

But you don't have to.

Anyways..... see that little square up in the top left corner ? well thats your model, without any UV map. basically you need to right click on a "group" from your groups menu ( if you have groups that is ? )

If not, then just drag your mouse over that little square to select it ( it will turn RED ) then goto the "TOOLS" menu and apply your UV map ( could be a "planner map" - "box map" etc etc )

for this house ( and if it has NO groups ) I'd suggest applying a BOX map to it.

For more information go to my website and check out the Zombie modeling tut's ( this will explain about grouping ) .... then check out the UVmapping tut's ( this will explain Lithunwrap and how to use it properly ) even though the tut's are of Unwrap3D... it is still the same.

Hope this helps ??

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 14:06
kay thx got a lot futher but found problems when assigning the UV map in milkshape im just went alot whiter and did not get the colour

seeya
dudeman

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 14:46
Once you have UV mapped your model using Lith .... just save your model as a ms3d + save out your UVmap .bmp template. All the UV information will be saved with your model.

Then load your model into Miklshape + right click on the perspective view window and change the view to textured. then click the Materials menu and load the UV texture template .bmp.. then left click in the perspective window again and it should appear on your model.

Then save the model again, and it will save the information about the texture loaded onto your model.

Now load your texture template .bmp into an art package ( PSP or PS ) and paint your texture.

Now everytime you load your model into Milkshape and right click in the perspective window and change it to "Textured" view .... your models texture will show up.

Also...... because you have loaded the texture onto your model and saved it again with milkshape.... once you export it out as a .x or .3ds and load it into DB/DBpro, the texture should show on your model automatically ( as long as the texture map .bmp is in the same folder as your model )

ClearCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 17:40
sweet it works although i have to rework the scaling but thanks soo soo much simple. he could not have done it with out you. do you mind if i use your sig and stick it as a tribut some where it my game
seeya
dudeman

Newbie Now; Expert Later
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 21:19
Hehe !! there's no need to put my sig in your game ... the help was for free. and it's not like I've helped you with your game... just some tips on how to assign ya UV's.

But if you do stick it in there somewhere... I'll leave it up to you.

Just glad I was of some help

Feel free to e-mail me if you get stuck again

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 18:50:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 18:50:00