Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Hmmm...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

All your base are belong to us

I hope you will remember. You know who you are.
bushsucks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 03:05
OK...?

don't re-elect bush
Armeggadon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 03:17
HAHAHAHA haven't seen that in forever. man i bet over half the ppl here dont get it *laughs to himself thinking about the badly dubbed game*

Current Status: learning MORE about dbpro
I consider myself: newb
Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank God someone knows about it. I'm glad the lagacy lives on. Don't you just love the power of a few web guru's and some photoshop software. Never underestimate the power of Mega-Drive fanatics.

For great justice

Shining Moonblade
Years of Service
User Offline
"Somebody set up us the bomb!"

"Make your time! HAHAHA!"

LOL. I still have that on my computer. *Can't stop laughing*

Watashi no namae wa Zeroshin desu! Hashitekudasai!
Armeggadon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 03:39 Edited at: 28th Apr 2003 03:40
lol im gonna go look for the pic. maybe i can still find it in that infinite world of funny vidoe game dub pics(i think) and actually im gona go look for the zero wing rom also i cant beilieve i dont hav it yet

Armeggadon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 03:42 Edited at: 28th Apr 2003 03:44
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMFG EVERYONE GO TO THIS SITE
http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/signs.shtml
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
[edit} ok so a couple are doctored but other than those there really funny

Armeggadon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 03:49 Edited at: 28th Apr 2003 04:10
v FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE ABSOLUTLY NO CLUE v

^ this is what i was looking for ^

^ obviously doctored but still funny ^

sry i made so many posts. i was excited and was in a hurry. just went straight to te bottom of the page and started typing

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 07:43
lmao ...

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Biggyniner
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys check this link its the flash animation of it LOL

http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/video3.shtml

"A man not willing to die for something is a man not fit to live."
-Martin Luther King Jr.
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 12:08
*lol* memories...

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 12:32
I read about that exact phrase in a magazine "All your base are belong to us". It's more famous than you think!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 14:18
lol... any of you actually play the game though?
it was so just as bad as the translation

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 14:39
what's the game?

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Newsgroup : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DBMag/
Armeggadon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 14:51
the game is called zero wing. yes i've played it and it is so funny(hard to understand the storyline in a few places but oh well)

http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/zerowing/
you can get the rom and emulator at the bottom of the screen

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
The games a classic. Though DarkBASIC has a better storyline than Zero Wing . The company that made it (Toaplan) went bankrupt in 1995. I've just reached Round 1 Stage 3 about 4 minutes ago.

Who calls an alien race CATS anyway. Hold on, I smell a game programming craze...

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 15:06
thanx.. heh that game's not half bad..good gfx..good music...smooth movement..and the weapons are pretty cool...i think it was pretty well done...cept for the translations..

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 17:32
I have Zero Wing And yes it <i>was</i> featured in a magazine recently, <b>Gamestm</b> , which is a pretty cool (but with the odd glaring error) multiformat mags that also deals heavily in Retro stuff

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 23:54 Edited at: 6th Jun 2004 01:50
May the legacy of low-quality Sega Mega-Drive games live on. I hope that "translator" (notice the inverted commas) nows what he has provided the public that is the underbelly of the web.

Does anyone know if there is a font you can get which lloks like the one all the low grade Mega-Drive and SMS games use?

Subspace Software website now active!
[url]www.subsoft.tk[/url]
Software from a different dimension
Armeggadon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 00:08
i dont know but im sure you could probably either find it on the web or make it

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 00:17 Edited at: 29th Apr 2003 02:49
lol i always liked the sega gfx over the snes any day... mortal kombat on the sega was wwwwwaaaaayyyyy better then the snes

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 21:33 Edited at: 6th Jun 2004 01:44
Fuzzy:

It takes some force for a group of Retro maniacs to start of an inside joke, and then attract the far corners of the web so much that it reaches #36 in the Lycos50.

Subspace Software website now active!
[url]www.subsoft.tk[/url]
Software from a different dimension
Evil Noodle
Years of Service
User Offline
@Fuzzy :- Why have you been posting all this crap this afternoon? has your medication worn off?

T.A.F.K.A.C.M.O.T.D
The Artist Formally Known As Cut_Me_Own_Throat_Dibbler
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 00:08
"mortal kombat on the sega was wwwwwaaaaayyyyy better then the snes"

Absolutely, but only cos Nintendo edited AND rushed the project so much. But then Mega Drive Street Fighter 2 was bloody awful compared to the SNES, big borders, awful sound, faded colors etc.

SNES was a technically superior machine to the Megadrive in almost every area. That said I loved my Megadrive and SNES equally, great, great games for both systems. And don't forget the Master System

As for a sega font, forget the standard font, how about a SEGA/AGES logo font That would be a cool challenge, especially as some letters were never used in it, so you'd have to improvise, but improvise well

samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
The Sega Mega-Drive Sold the most consoles ever all over the world(up until the PSX). It had the ability to read 32-bit cartridges with only a few minor quality losses. They even made remake of it. It is exactly the same console but with different casing, and it still sold to the masses. I think the console deserves superiority.

And of course the Sega Master system rocks.

But then their was the Saturn...*Sigh*

Error 404 : Life not found
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 08:14
I'm surprised no one has mensoned the name of the band that did that song. You know, The Lazest Men on Mars, they redid a bunch of old video game tunes.

I still prefer Nintendo to Sega, MK2 showed the differance between the two systems. The N64 sold more units on it's realse date than the PSX did in a month, and Zelda64 holds the world record for the most preorders for a video game.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 13:39
TheSimsOnline now holds the record on preorders - 680,000
and Doom3 can't be that far behind with 6months of slippage time and ever more antsy people wanting to get thier hands on it
btw it the joke is actually funnier if you know what ZeroWing was based on

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Well from N64 onwards, Nintendo pretty much dominated the industry, all credit deserved to them as the were the only 64-bit console. It certainly was the best console of that era, but the Mega-Drive and the Master System were the best of their days.

As for Doom, I miss it dearly. . I still can't get it to work on XP(no suprise there) and I can't wait for Doom 3. I don't know whether it will beat half-life (All hail...) but half-life 2 is in production...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 23:59
subspace goto http://www.doomsdayhq.com/
relive your truely mindless killing days at 1024x768 with fancy foggin and crap

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 00:06
dunno where to download it but i know that someone has rewritten most of the original quake code and enhanced the graphics so they look like a similar style to doom 3 anyone know where to find this i cant find the link anywhere and i know its in my house but where?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 00:08
i know ... i know of two actually but i'll let someone post up about it cause i can't be bothered to move 2" to click on favourite to retrieve it

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Raven.

Thats what I call devotion to a game!

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 01:13 Edited at: 1st May 2003 01:14
and i thought i was lazy

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 01:41
if you think you can do better than it then feel free to download the source and edit ... i use it for Hexen, Doom and Heratic just love it

Tenebrae the Doom3 lookilike

Telejano not Doom3 like graphics, but very good enhancments that add alot of feel to Quake

and no one can outlazy Raven ... well cept some kinda hippie on valium

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Doom 3 is due tocome out in -5 months! Hold on...

I hear there actually making plot to the game this time. The hired a storywriter. Check out the Doom page on Gamespy for more info. Does anyone here have Gamespy?

Evil Noodle
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah ive got gamespy , not gonna pay for the subscription version though

T.A.F.K.A.C.M.O.T.D
The Artist Formally Known As Cut_Me_Own_Throat_Dibbler
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 02:12
Doom3 is gold, was due out... well last friday - wonder why its not.
The story is certainly an indepth one though, i mean if you think Unreal2 had a good story for an FPS your gonna be happily surprised.
i mean the whole game is setup so that rather than a kill feast (like JC wanted) its a more tactical and pure fear affair.

anyone who doesn't jump atleast once from it then i'll be amazed cause its made to build fear and tension - the way the procscenes are done really capture this ...

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 09:49
Re Jumping at games, just yesterday I was playing Tomb Raider 1 on psx and a wolf came round the corner, and my wife literally jumped and screamed! lol It was kinda cute...

"It had the ability to read 32-bit cartridges with only a few minor quality losses."
- You mean the 32x? I got one, kinda stupid thing but still cool

"They even made remake of it."
- Yup the Megadrive and Mega-CD had Mk2s plus there was a combined unit called Multimega, and various portable mds. However...

"And of course the Sega Master system rocks."
- Yup, and there have been soooooo many different versions, SG-1000, Master System Powerbase, Master System II, Master System Mark III, GameGear, and countless versions with diffrerent built in games, and foreign versions. Personally I like the Master System II with sonic built in best

"But then their was the Saturn...*Sigh*"
- Well, the Saturn is prolly top of my gaming tragedies list (with the possible exception of NeoGeoPocketColor) It has so many cool features, and in many ways was a technically better system than PSX and N64, plus had some of the best games of all time - Nights, Panzer Dragoon Saga to name 2 Such a shame the public shunned it, maybe cos It looked like a ugly fat pasty. And the release games were crap. And it was expensive. lmao Ok maybe it deserved to fail

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 10:22
lol well wasn't technically better than the N64 ... however was pretty good and was a shame it went under.
Problem was it was too expensive without enough games - i never really wanted one because it was so damn'd expensive, i mean i loved Sega Rally on it but wasn't gonna get it just for that game.

I ended up getting it when TR was released for it

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""It had the ability to read 32-bit cartridges with only a few minor quality losses."
- You mean the 32x? I got one, kinda stupid thing but still cool "

No, the Mega Drive could run a *few* 32 games using its shell system. Thats compatibility! 32X was a failure though. The Mega Drive original marks the pinnacle of Sega's Industry

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 23:49
Well raven when i played the e3 demo version and the huge robotic dog/slug thing popped out it made me jump and about wet my self at the same time.

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 23:53
If i could only buy one game this year then it would definatly be pro evolution soccer 3 but i if i could buy 2 then i would get doom 3 as well

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
FYI

SMS , NES : 8 bit
MD , SNES : 16 Bit (Mega Drive could emulate some 32 bit)
Saturn, PSX : 32-bit
N64 : 64-Bit Duh
PS2 : 128-Bit

I quite liked the performance of the Saturn myself, but the lack of support could never launch it. Anyway, PC's dominate over all consoles anyway now.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 03:05
Well duh, you can constanty upgrade PCs, remember that the most current consoles is a year old now. The great things about consoles are a) cheaper, b) mutiplayer, and c) the game run the same for you as anyone else.

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, once upon a time, a console was far more prefferable to be played over PC's by everyone. The idea of typing in a variety of DOS commands seemed to deter people from the PC and it's new capabilitites. Any hardcore multiplayer now would go for the PC multiplay. Gamespy's gaming community has a certain ambience I think consoles will never achieve, but I suppose the "plug and play" feature of consoles are still reaching out to many people.

I suppose If your only going to use a PC for gaming, you are wasting your money on a lot of capabilities you will never use. But no-one here does that do they? [b])

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 19:30
"lol well wasn't technically better than the N64"

lol no basically not but I did say "in many ways was a technically better system than PSX and N64" not "in all ways"

The Saturn had more video memory, on board memory, and (through the "power" of CD-ROM) obviously far more storage capacity for games. Many Playstation and Saturn games would have been technically impossible on N64. However obviously N64 had many possible graphical effects that the 32bit systems could only try to emulate, and personally I prefered the lack of loading times

Re "SMS , NES : 8 bit etc." I'll add to that...

SMS , Gameboy Color, NES, C64, Spectrum: 8 bit
NeoGeo, MCD, SNES, MD, Amiga, AST : 16 Bit
PSX, Saturn, GameBoy Advance, 32X, (Amiga 1200?) : 32-bit
N64, Jaguar : 64-Bit
X-Box, Gamecube, PS2, Dreamcast : 128-Bit

lol obviously there are many more machines I could have added, but my point is that how many "bit" a console or computer is, whilst important, is far from the be-all and end all of it.

The Master System was many, many leagues ahead of the spectrum in all areas of performance. Both were 8-bit. Jaguar was the world first 64-bit machine, but the PSX and Saturn could shat on it from a massively great eight. Similarly, anyone thinking that the NeoGeo and AtariST, or Dreamcast and X-Box are equally matched would be sorely dissapointed.

In many ways, the 16-bit machines all dissapointed me, giving no real innovations over the best 8-bit games other than improved graphics and sound.

The 32bit machines all innitially dissapointed me too, the initial batches of "3d" fighting, racing and platform console games were 3d graphics with only essentially 2d movement. The only really new innovations started coming when proper 3d games were available, like Nights, Tomb Raider and Mario64.

When the N64 came out, Mario64 blew me away in its freedom of movement and innovative new ideas, but all games after that failed to really live up to it, with the possible exception of Goldeneye.

Similarly, the 128bit machines carried on producing the same games and boring ideas, bringing no real new features not possible on 32-bit machines, until Crazy Taxi on DC, which was extended by GTA3.

Basically what I'm saying is that whilst I have always loved and played new games, nothing ever really feels as fresh to me as they did in the old days, for example the first ever shooting game, first ever racing game, first ever platform game etc. A few titles along the way have massively impressed me with their innovation, but basically, better graphics seem to impress punters more than true innovation, or indeed "fun" Other than the latest games which interest me for a while, there are still only one 64bit, a few 32bit, a few more 16-bit and loads of 8-bit games I still regularly play...

Oh well thats my rant over, my fingers are beginning to become tired

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote- "nothing ever really feels as fresh to me as they did in the old days"

Couldn't be more true, *Sighs* , The 8 bit consoles were the best consoles, are the best consoles, and always will be the best consoles. But the MD was pretty succesfull, I think it had some of the shine that the magicqal 8-bit consoles held.

LOL, I remeber completing Alex Kidd in miracle world when I was 4. That was immense fun!

Perhaps one of our DarkBASIC programers will have the capability to invent the next innovative title. (I'm relying on you

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 07:53
X-Box is 64Bit
as for games being technically impossible on the N64 ... the only reason developers never picked up on the N64 and made it some truely awesome use of what it had, was because it is an assembly machine.

making games at the best of times was tricky business trying to keep polycounts and details in a scene to accomidate the hardware, but at the end of the day the Playstation was C using special DirectX3-6 libraries... which was alot easier and quicker to produce a full game engine on and use it - than it was to create one from scratch in assembly, anyone who's tried to develop a Gameboy game directly in assembly rather than one of the C/C++ compilers will know that is isn't exactly one of the most enjoyable or simple of things to do.

if the N64 had been simpler to program on, then the N64CD would never have gone under and alot more games would've been developed - and due to the sheer number of carts produced for this the actual price of games could've come down because sales would've been more guarenteed.

as far as innovative games go... it isn't actually the point of the hardware being used that dictates the games developed - its more a fact of what the publishers are asking for at the time.
There are very few development houses who are in it for themselves and get to decide what thier next titles are ... most will be given a list from the publisher in the tried and tested area's and be told they want one of them. However also you'll be allowed one title which can be creative... problem is most companies don't have the employees for the creative one and they suffer - and the larger companies don't even remember howto be innovative, as they like to stifle whatever ideas are produced and make them more generic.

personally i don't think there is any methods or simple things you can say to make the next innovative game like Tomb Raider or Wolfenstein - because at the end of the day, the public don't know what they want until they get it.

To me one of the most innovative games i've seen in the past few years has been Oni - yet it only has a tiney fan base, because for some reason only a few people liked it.
Personally i'd attribute this to the fact that its hard as hell and most gamers just want to complete games ASAP (sad but true), whats even worse is they then bitch the game was too short - but can't say there were ever challenged in it.
I mean Oni for example has only 17 levels, however they're not small and on normal mode they're a challenge to complete - especially the "Konoko Dream" level ... but on easi the game seems quite short, i mean i can complete it within 4hrs on easi mode.
obviously thats missing all of the secrets and fumbling around the levels or even killing all of the enemy - but that would be considered a short game.

however if you play it properly as if you actually want to play it because you want to know the story and not just as some challenge to complete, see all the weapons and get bored - then ya know thats the difference.
probably the only thing that disappointed me about the game was it only had a few moves to perform which you got slowly throughout the game... but then again the most fun i had was when like 5 or 6 guys were all trying to beat me rather than shoot me, cause i could get all Bruce Lee on thier ass's

but that was an innovative game, and if it'd been coupled with more indepth puzzles and more open architecture (it was a dishearteningly linear game) then it would've been a game that even if you didn't like you'd of had to stand up and think "hey thats pretty novel"
most saw it as a TR rippoff and went into playing it with that mind set, which is what i hate about online reveiwers and alot of games mags. they like to pigeon hole new ideas, which means that no matter what the game was before - its completely different.

i think the only innovative game they had trouble with was Black&White ... that was something pretty smart and sweet, and actually is one of the only games i'd truely bitch about the length - because the game itself was outstanding, but once you defeat nemesis you've only got online play, which is DSL ONLY country (i did try to play with a 56k several times)
something pissed me off about that game though was EA's attitude, rather than releasing it to the British public first who'd heard about it first, were bloody dieing to play it - they released it to the Americans which although it had a small following, it was never really taken up anywhere near as well as in the UK or europe.
and to add insult to injury, they got 250,000 copies sold in the US (not bad but hardly decent) in the UK we had double the preorders, and yet we still had to wait 2months for the exact same f**king game to be released!!

i really hate that about american publishers, they always release stateside first then the UK in thier own leasure even when the developer is british. Think there should be a rule that means that you have to release the game atleast a month ahead in the developers own country first... after all the people there have been waiting the longest for the title and deserve to play it first don't they?

pissed me off about DarkBasic as well the fact that the bloody american's got thier hands on the retail of it before we could... to me there is just something NOT RIGHT about having to buy a British product or game from an american retailer just to be able to have it upon release.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 09:27
~Amen to that! Thats been buggin me for years Even worse when British developed games have poor PAL conversions because they've been designed primarily for the more lucrative US market

I liked Oni The truly most innovative games on PS2 recently have probably been ICO and Frequency, but has anybody heard of them or does anybody own them? Grr

"The 8 bit consoles were the best consoles, are the best consoles, and always will be the best consoles. But the MD was pretty succesfull, I think it had some of the shine that the magicqal 8-bit consoles held."

Yeah I'd agree with that, especially cos the Sonic games were so prolific in my ideas as to how a good game should "feel"

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 00:03
I still find it amazing that a really playable 48K spectrum game fits fits in less room than lcfcfan's signature piccy (73K).

Gronda, Gronda

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 07:48:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 07:48:52