Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Hmmm...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 08:59
lol yup. I remember marvelling at my c64's capacity

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Oni was great! I don't know about you lot, but when I play a game, I like to try and think how it was programmed, on a very simple level. Like "How did he get the AI to do this" and "How did they structure the levels like this..." and so on. When I saw oni, I was amazed at it's power and smooth play! I can't figure out why It didn't make a big hit.
And yes, the gaming generation hasn't got half the will as it used to. I wish people would appreciate games more than rushing through the game in a flash, seeing everything that was made at once and then disregarding it
Am I the only person without a spectrum?

Error 404 : Life not found
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 00:09
"Subspace Anomaly" If you never had one, you're prolly better off with emus nowadays. The Spectrum was a great machine for the time, but 15 minutes to load the game off a cassette is kinda boring after the novelty wears off Or try the c64 which had many of the same games, but was better Try http://www.c64.com

"I don't know about you lot, but when I play a game, I like to try and think how it was programmed" Yup I do that ALL the time, I'm always getting new ideas and techniques from games, or thinking how I would improve them

samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 03:47
I didn't like Oni, the controls killed it for me. Ico, on the other hand, is one of the greatest PS2 games to date. I don't know how they did it but that game had the emotional pull the rivals most movies, let alone video games.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 09:08
I've never played Oni on the playstation... but the pc demo was very cool^_^

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Newsgroup : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DBMag/
Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
What other games have Bungee made? I would hate to see the developer of such a great game go unnoticed. Does anyone round here have Populous The Beginning? It went down as my favourite strategy game for a long time. The battlefield is a giant planet! I dreamt of making an RTS like that.

Plus if anyone has a Freespace game, please say, for I think I'm the only person on the planet with it.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 21:07
My friend has Freespace, I got Populous for the SNES. My fav tactic was rase my land 3 levels above the water and flood the enemy, they never build above sea level.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
I never tried any of the early Populous's, just the one for the PC made in 1998.

Hey Arrow, Groovy music for your website. LOL. Where did ya get it from?

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 13:30 Edited at: 6th Jun 2004 01:50
[Double post]

Subspace Software website now active!
[url]www.subsoft.tk[/url]
Software from a different dimension
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2003 20:37
http://www.vgmusic.com, good for midis but, I like SPC better. SPC is the sound format of SNES games, perfect quality, low memory. You can get some SPC files and players at http://www.zophar.net/index.phtml

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 05:52
I can understand nostalgia, but what's with saying that 8bit games are better than current releases? There are brilliant gems in every genre and style with more coming on the way... strikes me rather like saying that Win3.1 will always be better than Win98...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 07:30
Well, I will admit that there are some nice games out there (Super Smash Bros. Melee comes to mind), however the old game have something the newer ones don't. Difficultly comes mind right off the bat, Since Zelda 2 on the old NES it's only been getting easier. How new it was too, is real good reason. Now days it's hard to find something truely original, yet they were the first of a kinda way back when. Anyone ever played Bubble Bobble? It's on of the best two player game of the era.

wrathman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 09:49
Subspace Anomaly:

coffecup do a good one, on download.com or tucows.com

tucows doesn't seem to work at the mo but if you're sly you can ftp them.

..some of them can be bent, others can be broken...
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2003 12:25
I'm still playing through Wind Waker and not dissapointed with it yet, its cool, and I'll play it all the way through, but it still doesn't have that Miyamoto magic, not sure why, but none of his games have lived up to Mario64 or possibly OOC in my opinion.

"What's with saying that 8bit games are better than current releases?"
Its not that, its just that the majority of new games are near identical to old games, just with better graphics. At the birth of gaming, ever game was a new and fresh idea That said when something original AND playable comes out nowadays, I'm always thrilled

"There are brilliant gems in every genre and style with more coming on the way..."
Thats the point, there never used to BE genres. Every new Race game is basically the same, every new fighter, every new FPS, all basically the same game, with different graphics. Thats not to say nice new lil tweaks and tucks can't make them better than the games they are based on, but for example, no FPS game will probably evr feel as fresh and innovative to me as DOOM, because b4 that, I'd never played a FPS. Or even a 3D game that gave true 360 degree movement, it was a joy to behold, and I played in awe for weeks

"strikes me rather like saying that Win3.1 will always be better than Win98..."
Euch No Windows was awful until 95. I loved MS-DOS, and basically no DOS games or programs ran under Win 3.1 . It wasn't an operating system, it was just a memory hungry shell program, and an excuse for Microsoft to make exclusive programs like Word and Excel to force people to use it. Up until 95, whilst I had Windows installed, I stuck to using DOS, along with QuikMenu, Envision and NeoPaint for all my work

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the links Wrathman

I agree with Kangaroo2. Sure, if someone who had never played a computer game in their life, when asked to go for Descent 1 or Battlefield 1942, would always go for the latter, but when I buy a game these days, you know whats coming, because *almost* everything slots into a category. I played bubble bobble, and it certainly was one of my favs, but has anyone played Psychic World for SMS, or even Alex Kidd in Miracle World, or even...I could go on for ages.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 00:50
I own Master System copies of Bubble Bobble, Psychic World and Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Plus seriously many more )

Complex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2003 01:12 Edited at: 6th Jun 2004 01:54
Rock On!

Psychic world was great! I thought that the ESP booster thing where you could change your ESP Mode was genius! Never before had I seen such creativity to a side-platform game.

Right now, if you completed it, you may remember the outro scenes. Not the last one, but the one before (just after you rescue Cecile) There you learn of Dr Knaviks true intent. There is a picture of him in close up, viewing only his head. His hair is frayed all over the place and gives a rather intimadating look, and gave me the heeby-jeebies for about a month. I suppose you get your comeuppance for playing games too early.

Subspace Software website now active!
[url]www.subsoft.tk[/url]
Software from a different dimension
Killer Sponge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2003 14:10 Edited at: 16th May 2003 14:15
Quote: "All your base are belong to us"

Grin

Current Project: KS Modeller Function Library & Editor
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2003 03:29
Quote: "Populous The Beginning"

I have it Subspace... I loved it, still in good condition and I still even have the reciept for it. I can hardly remember it now, seems a bit fuzzy, probably because I liked AoE (Age of Empires) better.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 05:34:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 05:34:15