Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Dark Energy: The Cantaerii Effect

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 00:50 Edited at: 30th Dec 2006 23:07
"It is the year 2132 and the existence of Dark Energy is finally confirmed. However, out of the ashes of this monumental discovery, a horrifying secret is uncovered. The Cantaerii have been conduction covert experiments designed to harness Dark Energy as a weapon of ultimate destruction. Your mission is to infiltrate the Cantaerii network and retrieve any and all information pertaining to this weapon and any other information you can find. We do not have to remind you of the importance of success. Good luck agent."

This is the concept behind my new game. If all goes well, a release will be by mid 2007.

NOTE: After taking into account the feedback I got for this attempt, I am scrapping this particular game and completely re-work it. All new areas and screenies will be coming all in due time. (Thanks for the ideas guys )
::screen shot 1: menu for the game::

LIFE: "That thing that happens to us when we are too young to die"
~V.J.C. 2003

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
::screen shot 2: Barracks

~V.J.C. 2003
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 00:51 Edited at: 24th Dec 2006 00:51
::screen shot 3: Artillery Hanger

~V.J.C. 2003

Attachments

Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
::screen shot 4: Control Room

~V.J.C. 2003

Attachments

Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
::screen shot 5: Cantaerii Base

~V.J.C. 2003

Attachments

Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 00:54 Edited at: 24th Dec 2006 00:54
More screen shots of future levels coming soon. Andhopefully a demo of the first level comments (and critism) welcome

~V.J.C. 2003
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 01:01
im not really that impressed. i do like the last screenshot though.

Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
what didn't impress you? This is my first game so I'd like as much feedback as possible

~V.J.C. 2003
masterchief 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2006 05:09
I liked the last screen shot too. Looks good so far

FPSC ROCKS!!
Jams38
Years of Service
User Offline
I would work on the lighting, its not so much the lay out of the levels its just the lighting for me.
Dont really like the all red and all blue lighting.
but keep on it, just tweak the lights.

Jams38
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2006 18:07
OK you said :
Quote: "This is my first game so I'd like as much feedback as possible"

so here goes.

Media:
Good work with the custom menu, but you shouldn't be worring about that. Start looking at the media you're using in your level. If you are using stock stuff, try re-texturing it to look different, otherwise your game is no different from any other.

Level design
Your levels have not made people go WOW because they are a bit dull, try making rooms more than one segment high, and try adding more entities, crates around those artillery guns, old magazines and paper on the barracks floor. Giving your rooms height helps to inspire a sense of awe in the player, if height is unsuitable, then you're gonna have to convince the player they're in the location you're telling them. YOu have to break up those long wall and floor sections with pipes, conduits, boxes, lights, paper, filing cabinets, everything. It needs to look like the place, without you having to say "it's a hangar".

Try experimenting with the 1,2,3,4,5and6 keys for placing entities. Use them with shift too, allowing you to place objects on interesting (and more real) angles.

Lighting.
right click a light and open the colour tab. from the bottom of the tab select "other" then select "custom" from the new tabs at the top of the window. THIS IS WHERE YOU CHOOSE COLOURS FROM!
Using the standard FPSC light's makes your level look like a gunfight in a disco, they're too luminous and harsh.

Good luck dude. I'm not trying to be a horrible Criticism Troll, I've just been here a while and I'm trying to help you be different from every other next FPSC user!"

Peace and merry crimbo
Butters

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2006 19:45
the most impressive thing is the menu. try to keep logic in mind. if something looks like it might not beleivalby be there, get rid of it. in the last screenshot, its all fine and dandy, except theres nothing else there. you should have something shwoing behind the base, trees, building, andything to show its not just floating out in space.

Once again you've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!
tj990
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2006 03:47
Um u havent downloaded the latest fpsc update have u?
The update Improves lighting alot (cuz dark lights added).

[img][/img]
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I will put those ideas to k this week. I did try the new update but it really increased my loading time for testing the game. So I went back to the old one for now. I do have the DX-9.0c so I don't think that is the problem. Any ideas on that guys? I've been having trouble trying to line those pipes up and making them look good. So any tips on that would be grateful. I didn't know about the 1-6 keys. guess I missed that in the manual hehe. Well, I will get back to you all with new and improved updates as soon as I can. Until then, please (for those who haven't posted yet or if you have new thoughts) keep the tips and pointers coming Merry Xmas

~V.J.C. 2003
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a workup of the hanger bay. How is it coming???

~V.J.C. 2003

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 20:09
Here is a workup of the hanger bay. How is it coming??? I'am not a fan of purple light mapping.This is just a suggestion try and not use just one light colour.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 14:10:43
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 14:10:43