Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Head Model craze still going on....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 18:43 Edited at: 29th Apr 2003 18:44
I am not allowed to link the image directly so instead you can click on the link to view the image...But like I said on RGT,I'm not reworking this guy for a while except for mapping a texture on it and then I'll give the lowpoly cage away(1300) for anyone who needs it.

Feel free to comment though.
http://www.realgametools.net/forums/attachments/HEADSHOT.JPG

Caught by the Fuzz,well I was,still on my buzz
In the back of the Van,with my,head in my hands
Lucky Devil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 19:14
Holy Crap man that's really good. What program did you model that on?
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2003 19:17 Edited at: 29th Apr 2003 19:17
lol Look at the image.

Also that looks good only because Manfred isn't posting here

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 14:57
All of a sudden,no one seems to have anything to say ;D

arras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 15:41
Hey I am not sitting at the forum 24 ours per day only to wait untill you post your head x-d

But...hmm...if I look at your head closer, than from this angle... hmm dont know...doesnt look so bad finaly

Yes its preaty realistic, ..well made.
May be bottom of his ears looks little bit strange and nose from front looks too perfect to be realistic, cant you make it less narrow?
But these are just small details...

But tell me one thing...with such polycount you are not realy going to use it for something in DB, arent you?
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 15:44 Edited at: 30th Apr 2003 15:45
The low poly cage is very usable at 1300 polygons but I'm sure you can check it out when I give it away.

The ears gave me a hard time and it'll be the main part to retouch since it's my forst high detailed model of an human...

-Hey I am not sitting at the forum 24 ours per day only to wait untill you post your head x-d

Hey,sorry there I guess I'm lucky to have both access to the internet everywhere I work plus the time to use it

arras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 16:54
Yes I have also acces to internet most of the time but I need to work too + I have some other interests next to modeling

And I did not mean it bad...

Looking forward to see your next models (may be this one textured?)
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 19:18
I've already given you a kudos! What more do you want?

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 05:26
How many polies is that? Yes manfreds work is amazing, but that is one nice lookin head!

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Tech Demo - Colan Island: Currently 716 Lines
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 07:52
i'll post for Sir Manfred

hehee... i'd do something like this but i've not got used to the polytools in max - so i'd use Maya, but then i think thats unfair as ya'll are using max

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Eponick
Years of Service
User Offline
Good googely moogely... Thats some nice modeling work from Manfred and actarus ^_^

Must be like 1mil pollys or something

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 11:40
I wouldn't go that high, I assume somewhere around 10K?

The Legend of Zelda IS NOT an RPG! It's an Adventure, just like Ico or Dark Cloud.
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 13:13
Yeah stuff like this is impressive, as far as modelling skill goes, but on raven's forum this character is labelled as a marine. If this guy's a marine, he's never once seen combat. Also he don't look scared of finding out what combat's like, he looks completely wooden, like a cheap roman statue. Character modelling is really not about perfection, it's about character This guy should have some kind of facial expression, some kind of weary look, or a look of eager anticipation, or fear, or confidence, perhaps a battle scar, or something, but instead he looks wooden, lifeless, and flawlessly modelled

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 14:04
lol... i'd wait until he finished - you create the model base, then you work on the details
its a good lesson to be learnt hehee

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 14:52
Tehee, true enough, but how often do you notice a face with that expression in a finished game/cinematic? Too often in my opinion, and you may be able to generate some difference in expression by doing some editing, morph targeting, but in my mind it's better to start with the most extreme expression, then tone it down later, that way you get the feel of the model right from the start. Put it this way, if you have creases around the mouth in the texture, now you want to make him scream. You morph him out to the scream position, what happens to the texture? It gets smeared outwards, the lines become dark smudges all about the mouth. If you'd textured him in the screaming position, then morphed him to a neutral expression, the texture would act a lot more realistically, the creases folding into the pits of the mesh.

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 15:06 Edited at: 1st May 2003 18:35
heh

Hey Raven get that freak outta ma' post for it's too good looking...And as far as facial animations are concerned,slow down mate,I haven't taken any courses or such so I gotta learn newer stuff

Still,his mouth is a 100% circular so no creases or anything such should be coming in the way of facial anims if I ever tried my hand at that...Manfred's model though,they've got some expressions,it's hair,like mine, that's missing,eyelashes too

Really this is my second attempt at making something that high.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2003 17:54
Quote: "What program did you model that on?"

lol.

I'm going to go hang myself now.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Brent_Seraphim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 07:38
Arrow: It's subpatched. So as actarus said its a 1300 poly cage.

Actarus:

The model rocks man. Most highend programs have a plugin that generates hair or fur. So give the man some ro-gain or something Eyelashes are a simple thing. Model a poly to the basic shape of the polygons, then throw on a texture map, then a transparecny map and voila! Eyelashes!

Cheers man!

"Laugh to scorn the power of man..."
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 15:27
Ya about the lashes I thought about doing exactly that,plainface+alpha map,the only probelm is...Is there any fur,hair script for Gmax because no plugins are allowed.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 19:30 Edited at: 2nd May 2003 19:32
That's mesh editing+subpatches(subdivision)+good refpics....We've all seen these one on rgt.

And that's hijacking ma'post garhhhh!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2003 19:51
fred tend to use the PolyTools set for creating his stuff, and those good reference pictures were just simple sketchs he made
he's good simply because he loves what he does, it's taken him around 3years to get to the level he's at now ... seen him improve alot over those years, most of which just comming from practise rather than anything else.

but in the grand scheme freds just an adverage modeler - there's one right now that i'm keeping my eye close to called Caronline Delen, who is a truely awesome modeler - there's a few things i'd love to teach her when we both finally have the time about mesh development and some things i'd love her to teach me about texture development.
but she has this cute lil character called Lena which is just such awesome work.

personally i can't wait until fred get into Softimage and Maya properly - cause i think when he learns that they have the polygon tools which allow some truely amazing things to be created quickly and easily he'll love the possible detail and editing level it has in it.
i'd love to see Max get similar polygon tools to Maya, especially the Vertex Cleanup and automatic crossinsert

ya know how many people say "man i wish i could model like that!" and the funny thing is that it isn't any real special skill involved in modeling or artwork - its just a case of loosing yourself in the development, you start simple and build from it and you'll find that it all falls into place quite nicely.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 01:27 Edited at: 3rd May 2003 01:28
Exeat I deleted your post because we should try to keep from hijaking No troubles though....

I cant delete Ravens post because a few people already commented, but I want to keep this post from going on about the LOTR model.

RPGamer

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 01:40
How long did it take you to become a good 3d moddeler raven?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 03:35
lol, do i seriously have to answer that? cause you won't like the answer.
however i've gotta object about the deleting of the post, there wasn't anything untoward here - and i think Act was only jokin' about the Hijackin'

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 03:55
lol yeah sorry Actarus/RPGamer - I was just looking at all the models he made and was wondering how he got so good but I didn't want to make a new topic over it.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 00:12
No problem.

Back on subject.

Hey act do you have any more of that model done, or is it skinned? Im really anxious to see how this turns out!

RPGamer

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 04:00
My effort - I know i'm not as good but does a programmer ever need to be ?

2000 Polygon

Pneumatic Dryll
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 05:10
That's comparable in my opionion Pneumatic Dryll , but actarus's model is just awesome.Nice job

(Current)-making plans for a game-
(progress)-Should have demo in 6 months latest-
(misc.)-All other projects cancelled for now-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 01:31:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 01:31:39