Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Internet Explorer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 17:49
Hi,

This question has nothing to do with DarkBASIC but I can't find out anywhere else.

I've got AOL and I think everything about it is shit except the price.
So I was wonderin if it was possible to connect to the internet using AOL Access numbers but log on to Internet Explorer.(If you can understand this)

Like use Internet Explorer instead of AOL but still pay the same a month?

Thanx.
darkCorridor
Years of Service
User Offline
If you Connect to AOL then minimise it and open IE it works and is running through AOL

[br]mikey
Shady Simpson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 18:19
yeah, but that slows everything down, what I really want is to connect only using AOL's numbers not through AOL.

Thanx for the reply though.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 19:05
They don't let you connect through an external number, because they get paid for their adverts and how many times ppl see them There are ways round it but they cut you off and fine you if you do

Have you tried Freeserve? I think they allow unlimited hours on the net free (like AOL) but are £12.99 a month not £15.99 Although last timew I tried to use them (over a year ago) they were always engaged when you tried to dial up Supossedly they are better now

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Evil Noodle
Years of Service
User Offline
get blueyonder broadband its the mutts nuts
£25 for existing customers

T.A.F.K.A.C.M.O.T.D
The Artist Formally Known As Cut_Me_Own_Throat_Dibbler
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2003 22:06
I can't get broadband where I live

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 03:24
Ah! You poor thing!

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 04:44
AOL is awesome...what are you talking about? All your connection problems are just that, connection problems. AOL is suprisingly stable. 56k's are not.

Darken the skies, we are god
http://www.DelvarWorld.com
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 06:23
When I used aol a while ago it's software wasn't great.
I have never had a crash from windows dun but the aol software would be responsible for a couple of crashes a week. Pehaps the later versions are better.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 14:47
I think NDO are free too (well, you have to pay for the calls but nothing else), and you get a totally free domain name

You are the th person to view this signature.
Programmers don't die, they just Gosub without return....
Shady Simpson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 20:45
the problem with AOL is it's crappy interface and it is absolutely solid to work your way around, I prefer internet explorer.

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 21:30
if you pay cheap prices, you get cheap stuff in return. IE-> I would never trust a hamburger from mcdonalds that costs 99 cents Canadian. Why? Because I wouldn't want to eat a hamburger that cost less than $1 CAD to put together. In order to cut the price, they obviously had to cut quality, and it makes you wonder what the hell they are putting in this "hamburger". Kinda like how they now advertise 100% white meat in Chicken MCNuggets here in Canada. Well what the hell was it before??? Black meat? Filler? Do I even want to know?

So getting back on track, if you want quality internet, you have to pay for it. Sorry

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 00:10
Shady i always sign on AOL and then use IE6 or MSN6 ... i mean all you have to do is set it as your default browser - but then again AOL 8.0 is pretty good, and they've finally finished the UK conversion of it (they needed to setup the new servers which are pretty good like MSN8's (no i've got no idea what happened to 7 either)

there are a few AOLdialers out there, but they don't work 100% because AOL like most US companies use thier own dialers - which makes it niegh on impossible to bloody connect without them knowing because you really need to use thier software (which is a pig for online gamers as it takes up 10% of the CPU)

but i wouldn't worry about it too greatly

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Dazzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 00:19
I do the same as Raven and all I can say about AOL is that out of all the ISP's I have tried over the years(and there are lots!), AOL, connects me first time, every time, always around 50k, and i have never been discounted in the last 14 months.

Dazzy
Athlon 2600, 1gb pc2700 ram, 160gb HD, 128mb GeF FX, DVD RW, Audigy 2.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 00:43
yeah since 7.0 was introduced it became one of the the most stable narrowband connections around
plus the worldwide connection and cheap price with no cutoff points was also a plus.

FreeServe and such give you only 2hrs if i remember then they lop you off - and if they find out you've used a stay online program they can discontinue your service.
Broadband AOL isn't half bad either ... although if you can afford it then i'd go for NTL:Home or AT&T Broadband or possible Verizon Wireless

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 03:19
raps its a combo of 6 week old chickens fully bred into young adults.
A process that takes nature a few months.

Blend that with a bit of rabbit and you got a bucket of kfcs finest.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 07:22:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 07:22:53