Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / How to know if your Game or Program is ready to be posted here

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 03:53 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2007 02:54
Hello. I am writing this because I feel that there should be some guidelines as to what's complete, and what's not. Plus, I feel that some threads dont give enough info, so I decided to write this Hope you all like it.

Is your game or program actually complete?
Does your software have everything you have planned for it to have? Can your software actually be called a game or program? Is all of your media for it completed?

If you answered no to any of these, your game or program is NOT complete.

Larger Games And Applications

Do you have media to show?
Do you have screenshots, or a movie of your software? Regardless if you have a demo or not, people will want to see information before they download the software. Dont leave things up to another user to post screenshots, it is YOUR software. You might be able to upload images to the TGC gallery. Or perhaps a webhost, such as Freewebs. You can even upload your images here on the forums, in your own post. But you should be respectfull TGC's storage space. Ive seen quite a few posts which have not shown any screenshots. Of course there are exceptions, for example, plugins do not require screenshots. Please read the section "Screenshot Information" for more info on what formats should be accepted, and how to get screenshots.

Please upload a demo, if you have the ability to do so
If you are selling your product, please upload a demo if you have the ability to do so. If you are not selling it, please upload the program. It's a little useless to announce youve made a decent RPG or FPS, or whatever, if your not going to let other play/use it.

Screenshot Information
You can take screenshots of your program using the "Print Scr" key on the keyboard, openning "MS-Paint", right-clicking, and pasting into the editing canvas. Reduce the size of your images to smaller resolutions. 640x480 is a decent resolution. You can also provide "thumbnail" images, which can act as links to even larger images. Next, use the .PNG or .JPG format. At times, .JPG will be smaller than a .PNG, and other times, .PNG will be smaller than a .JPG. .PNG images (Portable Network Graphics) are very high quality images, and .JPG images (Whatever it stands for) have a loss of quality. Look below at "Posting Tips" for more info on how to do some stuff like this.

Smaller Games And Applications

Screenshots Information
If your game, or program is a small program, which has little visual displayments, then it is un-necessary to provide screenshots, let-alone a video. For example, from what I understand, this equation:
Can be used to calculate, your maximum heart rate. And so, a program similiar/like this:
would be unnecessary to post screenshots for.

Demo Providing
For something so simple, you might as well just give away the source code, however, if you are sensitive about your source code, that is understandable, and so, a simple demo should be uploaded.

Posting Tips
Take all the spaces out of the examples given (only the text within a '[' and ']') when posting, and remember to actually customize it to make it your own.
Replacing a link with text
[ href=http://www.google.com ]Click Here[ /href ]

Making a thumbnail image
[ href=http://www.freewebs.com/tree3d/ExampleFull.PNG ][ img ]http://www.freewebs.com/tree3d/ExampleSmall.PNG[ /img ] [ /href ]

The two examples in effect
Click Here

I hope someone finds this usefull. And, if anyone is wondering, the WIP thing somewhat inspired me to do this.

-db

[EDIT]
There are tools such as Fraps which allow you to capture video of your program. You can use the Print Scrn Key on your keyboard to capture everything on the screen, except the mouse. I believe fraps is available here...
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
The smaller games section added...
[/EDIT2]

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 04:02
wow thats awesome!

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 06:01 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2007 12:57
Good.
Lots of people need to read this! And withn any luck, a MOD may sticky this!

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 06:08
Thank you guys

-db

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 15:39
Great!!!

I have no soul.. I nobody.. I have no heart.. I have felt in the darkness.. Im the darkness.. Whatever..
Lordcorm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 19:05
this should be the rules... sticky?

DarkLegion Studios - Coming Soon
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2007 21:31 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2007 21:31
Thanks guys

-db

[edit]
I think zzz's game, Soul Hunter, deserves a sticky more though.
[/edit]

Lordcorm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 04:07
u both deserve a sticky

DarkLegion Studios - Coming Soon
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 05:17 Edited at: 24th Jan 2007 05:24
Thank you

*Ahem*

Here is, an example post... Enjoy it :

TGC Forum IDE
By DB User 2006+

What is the TGC Forum IDE?
The TGC Forum IDE is a simple editor which allows syntax highlighting of little forum code.

What are it's features?
It allows syntax highlighting of symbols ( '[', ']', and '=' ), and keywords( '[href], '[/href]', '[img]', '[/img]', etc..). Also, it's easier to start typing in a differant window, while looking around. Though, it doesnt allow direct button + smiley support, it is nice for posts such as this one.

Do you have any screenshots?
Yes. Take a look below:

Where can I download?
You can download it here

cheers,

-db

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 10:59
DB User that should be the program annoucment post template. You have to post all that info and at least 1 screenie or else your post will be locked!
Great work!

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2007 23:59
Thank you.

By any off-chance, has anyone downloaded the TGC Forum IDE? It does happen to be real, and I made it in, maybe 10 minutes.

Cheers,

-db

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 02:50 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 08:56
i did and its awesome

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 03:03 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 03:59
** Edited **

Cheers,

-db

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 03:21 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 08:57
ok since filling a page with lols is stupid this is my new payback

lol * infinity

MUHAHAHAHA

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2007 03:59 Edited at: 25th Jan 2007 08:59
Im editing my post to take up less room, I recommend you do the same for yours.

lol, lol.... lol

Cheers,

-db

[edit]
@Kieran
You may have that, but I have the power to destroy the world! Like this:

Muwahaha....
[/edit]

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 11:21
Very good, but these rules are only applicable to certain programs.
eg. If you made a program that calculates pi, there would be no point posting a screen shot.

Also, if someone has a set of functions which other people can use which they have put into an example program, they won't have half the things you talked about there, yet it will still be a valid thread!

These rules only really work for full games or applications (or supposed full games and apps)

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 12:07
You are correct. I will edit my post, to comply with this...

Cheers,

-db

Kieran
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2007 10:23
hmmm i did a forum search on soul hunter and got nothing... anyway i decided i am going to follow these rules if i ever manage to post a completed project

~Kieran
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 02:54
Take a look here.

Cheers,

-db

Z ephyrmancer
Years of Service
User Offline
Would be nice to have this stickied =) Kinda tired of seeing a ton of WiP games/ applications posted here.

From the ashes...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 20:50:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 20:50:49