Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / MUD

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 04:23
Whoa I haven't been on the forums for ages! anyway...
I was thinking t'other day that I should turn my role play system that I made ages ago into a mud. I was also wondering that if I were to make this mud, would anybody here play it. It's a low fantasy game system and the mud will have a slight graphical side to it. The reason I ask if anyone would play it is because it would be a bit boring if there was nobody to talk to but the dumb NPCs. So I would rather know roughly the number of players in there.

If you don't know what a mud is search for multi user dungeon. you'll find some info there. Or ask someone who knows. Not me because I'll turn around and say "Things that make you fail exams".

Come on people, here's another reason to use up those internet hours. (The muds that I play certainly drain what free time I have).

Check out my website if you want to know more about my game... but be warned, you can only click on the BlackDragon link at the moment and there is very little info on the game there. I am currently rebuilding my site so don't shout at me for the repettive Under construction thingy.

I have spent the past three years making and evolving the BlackDragon system, so I think it's time to do something with it.

I have the basic engine going for the game just need some ideas of what people think of muds here.

If you don't like this idea or particularly despise me then feel free to spam my email address.
Daih Thel phae 'e, clann 'e phaen
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 14:12
thank god nobodies ever spammed my email... i'm so unloved

I myself love muds, and would love a db mud all the much more^_^

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Newsgroup : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DBMag/
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 14:49
Yeah, that would be great fun, especially if you put in a lot of nice conversation features. I reckon that a DB created MUD game would go down a storm, get flamed by someone on the forums - pinch their gold in the dungeon!, the ultimate revenge!.

All we need is a list of people nearby and a basic representation of the dungeon, these games are designed to play more like text adventures really, although most of the typing is conversational. If your stuck for graphics, I'm sure someone will help out.

Van-B
Puzzler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 21:26
I'll play!
I am hoping to develop a MUD editor in DBPro, so I might take a few ideas from it!

Piecing together the puzzle of Dark Basic- Puzzler

AMD Athlon 500 MHZ (393216K), NVidia TNT, Windows XP Professional Edition
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2003 09:26
muds are best developed in a linux platform.

The layout of a unix environment with multiple users can be modified to represent your players.

It sounds like a good attempt at a project tho.

DBP could indeed handle something similar and you could implement a 3d world or have 2d images and sounds being played like a moo.

A moo is alike a mud but had some graphics etc..

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2003 12:41 Edited at: 7th May 2003 12:44
Thanks guys ... I was beggining to think nobody played 'em. I want to get the graphics done fairly soon because the texty bit should be fairly easy. I'll use the netchat text thing that I made a while back (but you don't know what that is because I never released it). It had text wrapping and coloured text and all sortsa things like that. Hmmm maybe I'll put it up on my website as a WIP.

Hmmm ... graphics could be a problem. I have made a large number of top down landscape images. So that shouldn't be too much hassle to get finished. It's just the character sprites really, and creatures etc. I'm not so great at those. So any help with the sprites would be much appreciated.

@Puzzler - go for it! I don't really care if you pinch any of my
ideas ... so long as you don't go nicking my BlackDragon stuff.

@Indi - hmmm thats pretty much what I was thinking but I really want to stay away from the runescape look so it'll be mostly text based ... with the top down graphical map in the corner.

I will not give up on this one! - (Like the retro comp and sooo many others) The fps is still going just need a bit more time to contemplate how it'll work!

I am updating the BlackDragon bit of my site fairly regularly so there'll be more info on the actually content of the game there soon.

Also, if anyone does want to help with the graphics please email me so that I can give you ideas of what I'm after. If nobody helps it'll just take longer to finish.

Edit - Wow, they got the edit post thing working!

Edit - @jerico - nobody has spammed my email ... yet.

Daih Thel phae 'e, clann 'e phaen
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2003 17:37
Ohh! - sprites! - let the users design their own in an art package or mini sprite editor inside the main app. All that is really needed is a Dungeon Master style portrait, or a little Zelda style dude - no need for animation really, just an avatar.

Van-B

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 03:48:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 03:48:21