Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / laptop suggestions?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i'm looking to spend about £800-£900 on a laptop. i know it might not seem much to some, but its all i can afford. it has to work with my biggist hobbie DBP, so i couldn't think of a better place to ask.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 15:38 Edited at: 4th May 2003 15:39
either Time or Watford Electronics

Time currently sell the most powerful laptop world wide for under £1,000 ($2,000) which include a GeForce4 or FX chip (i don't remember which)

but certainly both have some good spec machine and such...

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
HAL
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks Raven, i don't know much about laptops, can you get them so that their upgradable now, it's just that you mention Geforce4? that would be good!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 19:24
yeah you can upgrade them, but its oftenly 2-3x more expensive than a desktop - and i wouldn't try it yourself unless you know what your doing, because they're not quite the same to reoutfit as desktops either, not much on them is just plug and play (which is why very very few places sell anything except HDDs for them)

oftenly graphics chips arn't upgradeable though, what you start with usually is what your stuck with ... most common is Radeon Mobility so you should be oki with that, but there are a good few GeForce Go! out there and there are a few with GeForce4 Go! now - which is the same as the 4200 only slightly less speed (heat reasons)
i could give you the link to where i get my notebooks, but they wouldn't be within your budget

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 19:29
Yeah, I looked around for my 800mhz laptop, and you just can't upgrade the graphics, although the HD is possible with a lot of mucking around. Personally I will probably go with a 20GB card to just plug in. More portable and will work with any future laptops. But in the future will very much pick up a very decent machine when it comes to graphics and processor (main things that are extremely hard/impossible to upgrade in a laptop).

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 03:21
take a boot disk to auctions

Usually you can find a really cheap notebook thats state of the art and only used to play solitaire from some middleweight management.

I goto the arnotts biscuit factory for the Company liquidation auctions all the time here in Oz.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 03:25
Hmm. Good point. Must revisit the local computer fairs that come along every month or so. Can get a real gem every now and again.

Heh, I remember when I used to work for Sealink about a million years ago. One day they chucked out a load of computers/printers etc into a skip. Mainly XTs and a few 286s, when 386s were the new thing. But I was at lunch. Always regretted that one

Cheers

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 15:31
Tehee I got an A2 format printer out of a skip once, the power cable had been severed. I think companies do that so they can use their "broken" (read sabotaged) equipment as a tax write off, problem with the printer once I got it going was that once the toner ran out I couldn't find any shop which supplied it, so back into the rubbish skip it went, still, I made some nice large prints onto canvas with that thing

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 20:20
Yeah, my old company used to physically break computers rather than resell them or anything. ie. Put a hammer through them or something. Once they put a massive mainframe thingy (about 10 times the size of a full tower, more like a freezer) in the rain until someone nicked it from the car park.

Cheers

Danmatsuma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 22:17
On a sicker note, I used to go round the back of the hot bread shop about 10 pm on a wednesday 'cos that's when they threw out their unsold stock... Me and some mates would dive into the skip, carry about 4 garbage bags each of the stuff, and play cricket using french sticks as bats and the smaller round or knot rolls as balls, we'd be blind drunk of course and have so much bread it would always degenerate into a food fight, There'd be a trail of bread all the way from the bread shop to the flat...pidgeons whould follow us to the skip after they learned the drill. I moved out of there a year later and found about 40 mouldy pizza rolls behind the couch... hehehe

ZX Spectrum 48k Issue 3, Radio shack Tape drive, Rank arena 12" T.V. set.
HAL
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for all the repiles.
mmm.. hot bread..nice
the laptop may have to wait a little while long tho, i've gotto get my bike resprayed before summer, maybe in a couple more pay-days.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 04:51:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 04:51:27