Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Dream Cars

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2003 21:59 Edited at: 4th May 2003 22:00
Man i was just browsing the web when i came up with hott (nope, no spelling mistake) car!

Ladies and gentlemen the 1997 Mercury MX2 Concept Car, kinda ironic how all the cars of the future where made far back in the past, this car however was just a concept and i don't think they ever actually released it, i tried searching but couldn't find it anywhere else

Now to convice my dad to buy this for me on 19th birthday fat chance!

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 00:21
would be a bloody good feat... most concepts are one of usually only 3-5 and each are in the region of $500,000+ lol
my dream car is either the one i drive (MGVF) or Porsche 968 Targa
i know there are alot of wacky concepts that are nice, but those cars i just adore - the nitché of Brit and German design

the new Aston Martin looks pretty sweet though

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 02:43
Yuck. Wouldn't call that a dream car.

Personally my "Dream Car" TM was always (as a kid) the 911 Turbo. Since then I've moved to things like Ferrari's and (rather more cheaply) TVRs (since I saw my Boss').

Now my boss drives one of those Mercs (fastest automatic in the world one) that was rated 3rd in the top gay cars list. Heh. For 100k (and thats £, so around 160000 dollars ish). He spend 20k just to get it in a month, rather than a year or two. Moron. The sales guy with the supercharged Jag is much better. Damn brakes cost 10k apparently. Damn.

Personally though I financially changed my mind as I grew up. So the 911 became a Skyline, which then became an Elise. Oh yes. Nothing since originally seeing a real 911 turbo when I was about 5 held quite the same awe for me. And it's cheap. Nice.

But then I had to work miles away from home, so an Elise is out. So when I gave up the company car I came up with the following "realistic" dream cars:-

1. Mitshubishi Evo 7
2. Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 (or STI/P1 if insurance allows)
3. BMW M3
4. Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
5. TVR anything
6. Nissan Skyline

The Supra was my personal favourite. Sigh. Is the orange one in the fast and furious film. Sigh. Unfortuantly I have a six year age limit on car allowance and only imports are newer. But sigh. So I bought a Subaru. Tis nice. And quite practical. And knocks the t**ts off most things non-italian. Interestingly though I saw a last edition Supra TT for "only" 30k the other day. Tiptronic effort that should see around 5-5.5 secs 0-60, and was made only a year or so ago. Rats....

Cheers

Oh, and the new Aston looks very nice. And make a new thread about best looking cars...

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 08:58
I always wanted a 911 too

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 09:04
It is, and will always be the Dodge Viper GTS... but... hexgear..if you wanna drive that car... i believe there is one in this simulator... you'll have to search through the car database to download it

http://www.racer.nl

The 3D Modeler's Group : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3dModeler/
The Unofficial DB Newsgroup : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DBMag/
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 10:48
kids around here deck out those subarus so they can beat the cops throught the city streets.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 11:50
lol i've gone through a 964 and a 966 in the past few years, an ex has my 964 ... and my 966 was nicked about 4months back (which is why i had to get something cheaper)

alot of people want dodge vipers, ferrari 360 spiders, lamboughini diablos, etc...
but to me those hyped sports cars are just nasty to drive, with the exception of the lamboughini - most of the other cars are just too noisy for my likes.

i mean i can understand why kids supe up like Ford Feista's or old Mustangs and such to get that beefy roar... but when it comes to a good sports car, the thing is suppose to purr like a kitten - and none of them purr quite like the Porsche 9-Series, especially since then went to water+air cooled and moved the engine from a full rear mount to a rear seat undermount
you have a Targa or Carrera4 puppy and you've got 4wheel drive + 4wheel Steering, both can be turned on/off - but certainly give ALOT more traction for your speed, especially with BMW's Anti-Skid technology in the ABS.

BMW 3-Series are also very very nice cars, not just to run (cause they rarely break down) but also because they handle beautifully between cities and outback. The cars gc just gives it that edge to be a good car for almost anywhere.
though you guys seen the new porsche 4x4? isn't that an odd beastie... and you get to see alot around the west side (rich kids with even richer parents lol) - god know what it is about LA but the whole city is SUV country, i swear to god you'll see more of them in LA than you'd find in somewhere which actually needs them. (although some of the potholes on the roads i'd agree they are kinda needed lol)

Indi, how many kids dog up subaru's? it's a good choice for that kinda thing - along with Ford Focus, you amp us the engine setup some turbo injectors or even compression injectors ... what the puppy fly hehee

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 14:44
Haven't done up my Subaru. At the end of the day they can look pretty bad (like any car) when they are done up too much. Only got the nicer alloys (not the stupid gold ones), tracker, and good sound system.

As to the Ford Focus. Aaaaaaarrrrgggg!!!!! The damn thing is the ugliest car made ever!!! How can anyone like the stupid piece of junk? A friend of mine is a Fordiphile and just got a Focus RS. It is really really blue. Front looks ok, but the back looks like a fat normal Focus. Yeesh. And even he admits that the torque steer almost puts it off the road on severe acceleration (much like old Puma). And yet top gear gives it drivers car of the year. Morons.

I hate doing up cars to their t*ts though. At the end of the day any car can go like a rocket with enough power (see any edition of Max Power for example), but to make it handle well, and look good (that 600bhp Lada was a good example). Not easy. And then it's more nickable. There are 3 Subarus in a couple of streets here. Mine and another guys are pretty much standard Turbo 2000 models, with another guy having an STI-4 (prefer the P1 myself) that he had done up with loads of stuff, and got it to around 3.8 secs 0-60 apparently (he had it properly speed tested). You could hear it a mile off. So could he though, cos it got nicked a couple of weeks ago. Hehehe. And he never got a tracker. Fool.

Cheers

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 15:38
if it was a probooster then a tracker wouldn't of mad any difference, trust me
but real car theives don't take modified vehicles, it'll no doubt be some local punk - mainly because you can't respay and recarb the cars properly with them being heavily modified from factory standards, which believe it or not makes them as good as worthless.

though to be honest i hate really having my cars upgraded even slightly, same with my bikes - they'll have a few mods for smoother running possibly setup to run more fuel efficient, i mean at the end of the day i have a car right now which cost me only £19k and it can do 0-60 in 3.5s (i've achieved it in ~4) but the problem is as soon as i hit 55 i've as good as hit the speed limit. So 4seconds of .8g isn't really worth it, even more over is top speed - as what i'm driving is capable of 160mph ... thats 3x what i'm allowed to do - so really whats the point?

ofcourse i don't drive to the speed limit all the time, for example when i'm nearing the city - cause police are crawling everywhere and love busting speeders (even if they're slightly speeding) ... but on the freeways and just open her up.
Even still i never go that fast - probably fastest i've pushed her onroad has been 120mph.

and personally i love the look of the Focus, what i dont' love is the reaction time or rack'n'pinion power assist, cause they're just to dossile for the car... what you need to do is tune up the timers for the electronics to get a decent response, and if possible weld section about mid way underneath the driver seat and extend the gearbox about 30cm forward - mainly cause the gc of the car is just a little offbalanced.
also in most of then you need to replace your standard fuel injector with a slightly more costly compressor injector, set the feed line up to around 100cc less than the engine (else you'll blow some gaskets hehee)and also try and get the piston burrows down from .50 to .48 so there is a slight variance there (which helps with the timing)

to me all of the Focus line needs engine modification because it is dangerously underpowered at low speeds, especially for a petrol car

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 15:43
I guy I knew (runs the "software store" chain) collects Imprezas, I think he's owned 11, including some seriously decked out ones

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 20:17
Yeah, fair enough. Pretty much nothing is going to stop a professional car thief. But the chances of there being one going around your street is extremely unlikely. I mean I live near Reading, not in London or Liverpool.

Can't agree with the Focus though. Is the most ugly popular car I've seen in a long time. Incidentally Ford are doing an upgrade uption on the RS now for around a grand above the asking price. Gets it to under 6 secs 0-60 basically. Oh, and the Dodge Viper? Come on, apart from the looks and acceleration, the damn thing might as well be an icecream van.

Hell Raven, your car does 0-60 in 3.5 secs? Is this the "book" time (unaltered straight from the manifacturer rated by most magazines)? Not many cars go sub 60 in most mags. There was that TVR, and the F1 of course, but not even the F40/50 is that fast in the mags. What is it?

Cheers

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 20:54
well all MGVF are made to order... i've got the 2.0 edition, and standardly the 0-60 is 5.2s (using 2.0 bmw v8 CFI) - but i've had some additional extra's added, like the pistons were changed for honeycomb sport pistons - which are alot lighter allowing faster acelleration as well as a dual injector makes a finer and richer blend for the fuel... which is cool cause it actually saves me fuel too, get 45mpg - which is certainly bloody nice. Though man you heard how much the yanks have been bitching about how much fuel went up by?
you know UK fuel would have to cost 1/2 of what it does to be the same price as american fuel... but still its nice for it to be cheaper still.

i mean you're lucki in a standard family car if you get 35mpg, 30 is kinda acceptable standard here ... and SUVs are closer to 20-25mpg
terrible if you ask me.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 21:01
Petrol is apparently cheaper to supply per barrel in the UK than in the US. On average. Lots of land to cover in US remember. But of course we pay the extreme tax. Takes around £35 to fill up my Subaru from around a quarter of a tank. Nice. And then about 5 days to empty it. Grrrr...

Hmmm. Haven't heard of the MGVF. Isn't a Caterham type of car is it? Can't imagine what else would get that mpg for the acceleration, this side of two wheels.

Cheers

MiniMark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 21:15
Well my dream car would be about a 1972 clubman MINI. MMMMM MINI, but it would have to be deseamed and tricked up. Now if Vizard was still building engines for them....

--Twin P4 Xeon 2.0 Ghz, GeForce Quadro4 XGL 128MB, 1Gb DDR RAM, 19" Flat Screen--
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 22:13
I think Raven is talking about the MG 2.0 ltr V6 block f series, my dream car, I was just about gearing up to buy an MGf (the 1.6 .. can`t afford the 1.8 and the 2.0 that Raven mentions would be way out of my league) when I had my heart attack, now I am off work for a while so that stuffs that idea, (gosh...bank accounts empty fast with next to nothing going in ), still, when I get back to work I will probably get one sooner rather than later, helps to make your mind up does things like that happening to you

Mentor.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2003 23:03
Well my dream car is a red Audi 80 (built 1989). Yep, I already own my dream car.

Ogres have layers.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 01:26
Audi RS4 or RS6 is the only Audi. Totally nuts. The only estate since that Sliding brake Aston thingy, and that amazing Ferrari effort a few years ago, that really cuts the mustard.

Cheers

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 06:56
the subaru wrx is the fastest street legal car u can set up here.
cops cant catch it if driven correctly in a city block for its pickup capability and weight ratio.

we have a sunset type strip of land where they "HOON" there cars up n down with really loud music.

the stereo systems usually cost the same price as the car.

THe greek turkish and italian boys are renowned for hoon mobiles.

Some of them spend a small fortune to deck them out with lights speakers dvd players and what not.

I crack up at the kids who deck out these crappy car models from hyundai. its like retrofitting a fiat with a $24000 stereo system and a spoiler

I dont mind the look of a suped up torana or mini, they seem to hold there style.

Im not into cars at all, I dont drive, yet my father used to rebuild prestige cars, I shoulda asked to keep the 57 chevrolet before they sold it. I think that was the safest car I coulda started in. that car was a tank.

the other car i heard where only 200 exist is a ford fiesta shogun.
basically its a v6 engine mounted in the back seat of a two seater mini car/van.
Ive never seen one here and they would not be street legal here at all.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 10:36
i thought you could have faster indi but you needed to get a special licence to drive them...
remember talkin' to an aussie once about his GT500 and he was saying how when he moved to the UK he was surprised that he didn't have to take a seperate test for driving anything cept a cargo truck or something, cause you guys have something called a v8 licence for driving sports cars or cars over a certain power.

i don't think i've heard of a Caterham type of car before, Rover MG-VF 2.0 v8, the 1.4/1.6/1.8 are v6's - thats why there's that jump in price
swear its like strapping a rocket to a mouse... KaaZooom! hehee

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 16:53 Edited at: 6th May 2003 16:56
Caterham are the classic British sportscar, they do versions that do 0-60 in about 3.8secs (tweaked) think of the car in "The Prisoner" TV series at the start (not sure if you have seen that in the US), originaly created by Collin Chapman (the man who designed all the Lotus marque) but way cheaper.

http://madmotors.com/Super7.htm

link is to an enthusiasts site, the cars are mainly Kit cars though you can get a pre-built one for a fairly steep price hike, they handle like a Go-Kart with superglue on the tyres and you need the head restraints to save yourself a cricked neck, top speed isn`t awesome (about 130mph) but on twisty road nobody is going to pass you, awesome for the money but not that suitable for shopping trips , this is the makers site...

http://www.caterham.co.uk/

great for fast car enthusiasts who want the ultimate toy

Mentor.

ps: the UK spec MGf where inline (4 cyl Rover K series) last time I looked, the V config must be the export models (unless they released a new version in the last 2 years), UK makers tend to make export cars higher spec than those in the UK for some weird reason, then they ask us to pay more than our continental friends for a car by argueing that foreign sold cars are lower spec...duh????

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 17:08 Edited at: 6th May 2003 17:08
Mine's definately the Cadillac Cien (only a concept I believe), it has that sharp, sexy look that I love oh so much.

(Large Image)

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 18:22
MGVF is a 2003 model, infact has only been on the market for 4months... they've truely gone sports car this time with it.
the past year of testing actually endeared me to it cause unlike the MGF these are actually relyable beasties - and mines been oki, but i've only had it for like a month so far.

as for the prisoner, i think i'm too young for that which is why i don't really remember the car in it
but i do recognise it
personally though i prefer the Shelby erm something... god i'm bad with names today.

just checked out http://www.mg-rover.co.uk they've renamed it the TF
however they've got something funny going on about packages for cars - have a feeling i'm missing something cause they have the disclaimer "we don't give away free supermodels with our cars" lol

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 20:37
sorry man.. i change my mind, fcuk the mercury mx2, i'm going for the cadillac clien

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 21:07
That Megabus thingy that is like a Caterham is the best. Has 2 engines and 2 gear knobs. That posh bloke in Top Gear got the production car record in it, if I remember rightly, with under 3 secs 0-62mph. Nice. Think it broke down afterwards though.

The MG TF? Boss had an MG F a few years ago (that got nicked a while back). Been out for a while here, just don't know if I like the look over the old one (bit pointed at front). Must do them up a bit for export though. If I remember rightly, the old one was around 7.0 secs for the old fast version (slow one was 8.5). Thought the new one had a more meaty fast version (the 160 or something if I remember rightly), but still around 6.5 secs. Must def. do something special for export.

Dunno though. Am now seriously considering the Supra Dec 2002 model I saw the other day. Only £26k (which is pretty good over here)..... Maybe in another 6 months to a year....

Hmmm. Although I love Elises, I noticed an article in one of the car mags. Basically the Vauxhall VX220 Turbo (Opel Roadster is it?) is getting a powerboost. Should take it from 4.8 (0-62) to around 4 secs. For around 30k. Hmmm... just prefer the look of the Elise. And it's a Vauxhall. Doesn't matter if it was practically fully made by Lotus, still hasn't got the same feeling. Rats. And the Exige is just too over the top.... hmmm.... *practicality* must keep remembering that one... bloody commuting...

Cheers

Oh, and 125mph in response to the earlier top speed question. Burning off an M5 up the motorway (Newer one would be difficult in a straight line, but this was the older -slightly slower- version from a couple of years ago). Was really really annoyed. And 120mph before I realised that the thing keeping up behind me was a Lambo and let him past (wasn't paying attention).

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 21:12
Oh, and that Cadillac is disgusting (seen it before though). Looks like a lairy Toyota Celica. Hate that new pointy look. And am betting it goes round a corner like a brick tied to the end of... another brick.

If you want to be nuts though, what about those 1000bhp beasts that are coming out soon? (that red VW is kinda strange, as is the Seat effort - although only around 750bhp *coff*).

And at the end of the day, why not go with the McLaren F1? God damn drop dead car that really is the pinnacle of just about everything. Damn. Just wait 50 years and maybe pick one up for £100k or something... nice...

Cheers

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 21:17 Edited at: 6th May 2003 21:18
Rats. And I meant to say (but forgot) that I read an article a while back about 200mph cars (German testing on real roads of course). One of them had a really garish Audi TT. But it had 2 engines. They reckoned it could do 3.2 for 0-62 mph. Grief. Now that is the ultimate Audi. They got it to 210mph or so, but it was totally unstable, veering all over the place when they changed gear. On the other hand they tried a Zonda and it only got to 197mph, but it felt the same as 60mph. Nice. Only £300k or so though.

Oh, and what about the Noble M12? That is a seriously nice looking car for small *coff* ish change. And it's bloody quick out the factory doors. Think of an MR2, but fast. Or maybe an MR2 turbo import (could only import in UK for turbo), but about a second faster. Nice.

Cheers

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 23:05
i was thinking about an AudiTT for a while, but a mate reckoned it was a womans car so i though - nahh! lol
they didnt do alot for the export of mine, just a few simple upgrades - but as i said they're made to order, even if you buy them within the UK (which i did cause it was $7,000 less) ... basically you start with a frame car and you add what you want, kinda like what they've done with porsche's and such for years.
it was good to see a production car finally get this kinda treatment

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2003 10:52
Hmmm, sounds like MG are getting their act together then. Cool. As to the Audi TT being a girls car, it doesn't have that effect much over here. Although you wouldn't like what effect an MGF/TF has over here then. To be fair it goes for most soft tops; MX5, MR2 etc. Although the Lotus Elise is a bit 50-50. Esp. if you don't have the mustard yellow one.

Cheers

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2003 11:15
lol, i'm not a fan of the elise - i always prefered the elan

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2003 11:26
Yeah, they were pretty nice. And I always had a thing for the Esprit. Think it was the original speccy game or something.

Cheers

MiniMark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 07:48 Edited at: 8th May 2003 07:59
My dream car may be a mini , but my fantasy car would be a 2001 Bugatti 16/4 Veyron Concept got a good top speed and nice styling.

To find out more visit
http://www.supercars.net/cars/2001@$Bugatti@$16+4%20Veyron%20Conceptg.html

A good source for info on cars, including concepts is http://www.supercars.net/

--Twin P4 Xeon 2.0 Ghz, GeForce Quadro4 XGL 128MB, 1Gb DDR RAM, 19" Flat Screen--
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 13:00
hehee... looks like someone swapped the bonnet on it
that would be a bloody nice car with a nice paint job... perhaps that intake be elongated and at the base of the lights like a Jaguar XJS - the lights be swept back a bit so the main light is larger.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 20:07:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 20:07:50