Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / VISHNU 1.2 Fpsc media protection utility:

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 06:00 Edited at: 8th Feb 2007 16:27
Vishnu is a FPSC version 1.04 media protection application set. It can work with previous versions, but to make full utilization of the save load features of FPSC, it has been tested with the most up to date version of the TGC software. It consist of 2 parts, the first being the zipping executable, and the second is the loader that is either distributed with the users media, or you can make a download available on your site for your patrons to use on any of your FPSC made games.

This version of a protection utility takes protection a step further. We all know that a persons ability to gain access to a temp folder, for the most part makes packing agents useless in all but a few cases where the 'would-be-thief' has little, or no knowledge of where to look.

Vishnu 1.2 takes your files assets, and runs them from a encrypted password zip. Missing the password would make the file useless and corrupted.

Vishnu 1.2 also stops people from opening up the WINDOWS/temp folder from which your game is run. If Vishnu 1.2 is open, attempting to open this temp directory causes the window to close, and the user is left only getting as far as the C:WINDOWS directory.

Attempts to gain access to the temp folder via the cmd.exe, whether from run, or a windows folder, or via a dos prompt, closes the dos prompt.

Though nothing made can or will ever be 100% crack proof, the protection afforded by Vishnu 1.2 is going to be , hands down, your best solution to protect your hard work at this time. The level of protection supplied, matches, and in some cases, exceeds the protection afforded big companies games where the loss of media far greater hurts you, the indie developer, then companies that can pad the losses a bit easier.

To try out the player that you would make available to your customers, three downloads have been put at the following address-

http://hosted.filefront.com/Locrian
Vishnu_v1.2_Player.zip
FPSC_v1.0.0_game.zip
FPSC_v1.0.4_game.zip

The first is the player utility it self. The other 2 are games packaged with the Vishnu 1.2 protection utility, and they cover FPSC version 1.0.0, and version 1.0.4.

We would love to hear any comments and questions you may have.

Q: Will it work on my operating system?
A: It will work on any system FPSC dose.

Additional information may be obtained at:
http://s4projects.out-lawz.com

Any sensitive comments or security concerns can be sent to S4's or my email.

VISHNU 1.2 Build 7

There's a new version up at the following url for trial. This very well looks to be the direction Vishnu is heading.

Please make sure your other game zips and player from the first public test are deleted. All new encryption is used from posted build to build, so none of the old holes can be exploited.

*If you press 'alt' in any form wile Vishnu is open you will loose your loaded data. This means 'alt+tab' as well.

*Known issue-sometimes, when loading a game, the 'browse window' will pop open again. If so press cancel. Game will then load in.

Once your games have been played and saved, press 'alt' to shut Vishnu down.

It is important to note, at this time there is no loading bar to see your progress. This will be done for the final release, but in this version you click the 'Load Media' button, load the game, and wait for it to tell you it's successfully loaded.

Once again we appreciate the time you guys take to download and try this out for us. We believe were very close to having a very secure application for the FPSC games.

S4 will not be back till Saturday at the earliest, so this should give you guys some time to look at this and poke it with a stick a little.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 07:15 Edited at: 6th Feb 2007 07:20
Wow.. I'm downloading this now... Once this is available to buy I think I might get it...

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 07:38 Edited at: 6th Feb 2007 09:12
edit for Locrian.
Candle

MY FPSC FILES
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 08:43 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 15:28
Locrian and s4 have really put together a sweet program here,Vishnu does what it says on the tin,it gives your FPSC media the protection it needs.
I found it easy to use and the player is no sweat,everybody needs this.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 08:47
Very nice application.

I should try this.

-Prince Of Darkness
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 08:52 Edited at: 6th Feb 2007 09:12
edited for Locrian.

MY FPSC FILES
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 08:58 Edited at: 6th Feb 2007 09:05
Unusefull Crap about this removed....

-Prince Of Darkness
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 09:04 Edited at: 6th Feb 2007 09:19
Mine too:
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 09:12
Edit my post Locrian.

MY FPSC FILES
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Very well done, fellas!

I love how it boots you out of the temp directory.

It's something that I would be very comfortable using and will certainly purchase it when available so that I can begin making demos.

Thank you for all your hard work!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 13:37
I have tested Vishnu and it works great.You can protect your media and it will allow you to save and load your games.Loc and s4real did a good job on this.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 16:18
Awesome. Thanks Locrian. This is really sweet and sounds like a good working program.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 17:15
Will surely try it out as soon as I get home. If it does what you say, I must say its Fantastic work by both of you!!

Loc, why 'Vishnu'? Just wondering about the ..er...Indian name.

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 17:26
nice work hats off to both of you

It's better to Burn Out than to Fade away.Highlander
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 17:46 Edited at: 6th Feb 2007 18:09
Don't thank me. This is S4's baby here. You will notice this is a S4project and not a 3dDesign. I just believe enough in the project to help S4 out with it. The original intention was to find a way to protect "our" media. But then to do that you have to buy the software that actually makes the app. Yes you could use a cracked version or a demo, but by law to make an application you'd sell(which being part of our game would be) you've got a near $400 product to purchase. The realization was made that to cover the cost, the app would have to be sold. So to sell it you also need a site, and that's where I come in. And graphics, again with me.

Basically we figure if we can sell 47 copies of it, and keep people as updated as we'd want to be, we'll break even on this. It's still being worked on as we speak, but there is a completed version that's being shown here. Of course as people get back to us that are better at cracking things like Terry and what not, their information is then used to better the product. So as we find things that can open the software, we'll attempt to find ways to shut these loop holes.

As it stands though, I have to say it's more protection then FPS Pack was. At least your run of the mill person can't just ease into the temp folder and get the media. Were hoping for some feedback, with the more sensitive things being sent to us via email. That's the reason for this test and the reason it's not up for sale yet.

Thanks a lot for your interest though
Loc

@Filya
Like apollo software for this forum I told S4 we needed a name. Theres no actual windows in a pc or apples in a Mac. So the name Vishnu, being the Hindu god of protection, and following with the mythical god format followed by many,was suggested and S4 liked that best. Hence the name.
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So the name Vishnu, being the Hindu god of protection, and following with the mythical god format followed by many,was suggested and S4 liked that best. Hence the name. "

I read the title skimming through forum. I thought Vishnu sounded familiar . Good product!

He said, "You drink when you're lonely." No I drink when I want!
He said, "You'll never be sober." Sure. Why would I want that?
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 18:19
@ Locrian: When will this be available for sale and how much?

K.L. Phair
PAS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 18:22
I just went to the website. Dumb question, sorry. This is a great price. Its really a no brianer and a must have especially if you are selling your games.

K.L. Phair
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 18:22
Quote: "Were hoping for some feedback, with the more sensitive things being sent to us via email. That's the reason for this test and the reason it's not up for sale yet."

Count on me doing that this evening.

Quote: "Vishnu, being the Hindu god of protection"
You do have a nice knowledge of mythology

s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the comments, as above we have not claimed that this product is 100% crack proof like any app there always going to be people that can crack any product.

We just given a program that makes it a little bit harder for people to just wlk in and take ya media.

The protection on this program is being work on all the time.

Best s4

Im a wizz at texturing toilets
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 18:29
Quote: "You do have a nice knowledge of mythology"

Ok I admit it. I was a D&D geek in the very early 80's and the 'Gods and Demi Gods' book by TSR gave me hours of reading. I mean how often do you find yourself needing to know that Thor has an armor class of -10 and 25+str(noted as unlimited as 25 was max for a god)
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
This strengthens your case should anyone pinch your media,by encrypting your game in some way,you are saying you tried to protect it.
Try claiming insurance after your house gets burgled and you left all the windows and doors open.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 18:56
Seems there's a rash of people for some reason giving away dbo to x converters. With TGC supping bips and bond supplying all his work, if there was any model at all I wanted in any demo I could easily have it with very little work. It's so sad that they can't see how bad that hurts the community, and how thoughtless they are. People just amaze me at times. But on the upnote, they will help our paying for the software to make this app and the server space to support it.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 18:57
Quote: "I mean how often do you find yourself needing to know that Thor has an armor class of -10 and 25+str"

ha ha! Who would have thought it would come handy 20 years later huh?

@rolfy.
Does it matter how much you try to protect your media? (ofcourse I know it does...but I am talking about the copyright issue) If I sell my game with all the media in folders (like default FPSC does), and have a license forbidding pinching my media, will that not make a case??

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Filya,yes of course you have a case,I'm just saying if you at least try to protect it this strengthens your license.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 19:22
@rolfy
oh ok, I was a little confused

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 19:25
This is great! Nice graphics, and it works well.

That C++ Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
lol. Good work s4 (and Locrian). Now I know why you guys were arguing with me. Does the same, yet easier for the basic user. lol.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 21:26
Had nothing to do with arguing.....your methods didn't work everywhere and you were unable to provide any proof....we on the other hand post our proof when we make a claim.

I can say the sky's purple but this dose not make it so bro. A "method" has to work everywhere...and proof must be shown to validate any claim. Links to Microsoft and filefront where no file is, don't constitute a valid method.
That C++ Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 21:34 Edited at: 6th Feb 2007 21:35
Have you seen the thread lately? I contacted Microsoft about it. See the quote on my thread! They verified about 50% of what I was saying. How much more proof do you want? I gave you screenshots too!
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 21:49
Quote: "I love how it boots you out of the temp directory."

Why? You don't need to get into the temp dir to copy it's contents. Just copy the whole directory and you have the game and media. Just make sure to delete all the other junk in there first so the copy is quick.

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 21:55
@That C++ Nerd
I dont care about your thread bro. Unless you can post a version of your claims I loose interest really fast. There your claims man prove it.

@winch,
thats being delt with.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 22:07 Edited at: 6th Feb 2007 22:10
@Locrian an S4,

Ok I am a bit confused. Does this lock you out of the temp folder for the game, or the windows temp directory? If this locks you out of the temp game folder than that's great but if it locks you out of say the windows temp directory then that presents a problem. If this app denies access to the temp directory will it not cause problems when it comes time for spring cleaning? Also access to this folder is needed when uninstalling applications, You should gander in this directory to ensure a clean removal.

Good job by the way!

Regads,
RF

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 22:12
RF, I am sure the access is denied only while the game is being played. I guess once the game application is closed, the temp files are deleted and you gain back access to your TEMP folder.
Havent downloaded this yet, but I am willing to bet on this

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 22:15 Edited at: 6th Feb 2007 22:20
Restricted only wile Vishnu is open. The whole temp folder along with its contents...And Vishnu must be open to play the game thats compiled with the app. This will change I'm sure and the whole WINDOWS folder will be off limits wile the app is running. Thats the plan anyways. your free to get into anything you want when your not playing a game. It is of course your comp. Just not wile your playing my game.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 22:17
Thanks Loc,

Regards,
RF

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2007 23:47
Quote: "@winch, thats being delt with."

Here is another one for you.

Click the "Load Game" button to load a game.
Now click the "Load Game" button again and navigate to the temp dir in the open file dialog.
Copy the game files where ever you want without even leaving the application.

Closing all these holes up is going to be impossible.

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 00:00
Well I wouldnt say impossible but to hard for the standard meat head who steals media. Thank you very much for your suggestions, they are closely listened to.

Loc
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 00:00
but minimizing them is a must. I have faith that these two people (Loc and S4) will spin up a top notch application for us.

Regards,
RF

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 00:04
Quote: "Vishnu, being the Hindu god of protection"

Guess the name couldn't fit any more perfect then, eh?!

This is a great program and works very well.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 00:16
Well theres holes, but thats what this testing is for....For you guys to run the dog pee out of it, and let us know what you come up with. This type of a public test where a greater number of people have a crack at it(no pun intended) will show where it's failing.

We appreciate all of you guys taking time to download it and a game and put it though the ringer.

Loc
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 01:43 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 01:44
thanks to every one for there help with this project build 5 is being worked on now.

Best s4

Im a wizz at texturing toilets
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 02:08 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 02:13
nvm, figured it out. Sorry.

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 02:20
Awesome! I will definetly think about buying this!

Quote: "Seems there's a rash of people for some reason giving away dbo to x converters. With TGC supping bips and bond supplying all his work, if there was any model at all I wanted in any demo I could easily have it with very little work. It's so sad that they can't see how bad that hurts the community, and how thoughtless they are. People just amaze me at times."

........point taken..........

Be sure to check the forum for special offers, and free stuff!
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 02:31 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 02:41
Loc, I sent you an email. S4, couldn't find your email address.

edit : another email sent

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 05:43
I'm helping S4 now and it is getting tight..
Looks real good Locrian. just waiting to hear back from S4.

MY FPSC FILES
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 07:23 Edited at: 7th Feb 2007 07:32
Candle he just went to bed. He recieved your email, but wants to hold off on the 2 programs deal(without saying much). Most of the holes are closed now and working on the problem now, that you may be aware of(by the sounds of the email you know). All this is likely to happen in 1 program and is looking good at the moment, with a few more tweeks(he forgot something when it was compiled...tired..lol). So very possible a new version tommarrow after a recompile and a few test.

edit:filya your emails were addressed as well.

Edit 2: I want to note all the downloads have been removed as testing for that version has been concluded. With each test a new encryption is used so no old version of a player can use a newer vers game. Thank you for your testing and make sure not to mix up any future version.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2007 09:08
Ok sounds good and think I will do the same and go to bed. I'm working on something else too.

MY FPSC FILES
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 02:04
S4 - this is looking and working really good.

Good job this is a really needed utility.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2007 05:56 Edited at: 8th Feb 2007 06:36
VISHNU 1.2 Build 7

There's a new version up at the following url for trial. This very well looks to be the direction Vishnu is heading.

Please make sure your other game zips and player from the first public test are deleted. All new encryption is used from posted build to build, so none of the old holes can be exploited.

*If you press 'alt' in any form wile Vishnu is open you will loose your loaded data. This means 'alt+tab' as well.

*Known issue-sometimes, when loading a game, the 'browse window' will pop open again. If so press cancel. Game will then load in.

Once your games have been played and saved, press 'alt' to shut Vishnu down.

It is important to note, at this time there is no loading bar to see your progress. This will be done for the final release, but in this version you click the 'Load Media' button, load the game, and wait for it to tell you it's successfully loaded.

Once again we appreciate the time you guys take to download and try this out for us. We believe were very close to having a very secure application for the FPSC games.

S4 will not be back till Saturday at the earliest, so this should give you guys some time to look at this and poke it with a stick a little.

Thank You
Loc

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-09 09:29:43
Your offset time is: 2024-10-09 09:29:43