Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Where can you buy max 4?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Raven mentioned in a previous post that you can purchase max 4 for $500. This is a bargain for this program.

I've had a look at the discreet website and saw no mention of it, so i was hoping someone could provide me with a link to any place which sells it.

Thanks.
Aribtrage
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.discreet.com/resellers/

Take your pick.

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 21:00
That was probably a student price, if you take classes in computer junk you get crazy deals on expencive programs.

Teenage Male Geek + Female Remotly Intersted in Common Geek Activities = Teenage Male Jackass
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2003 06:47
It's the one justifyable reason to get an education to inadequately prepare you for a job.

Decision:

option A) Get a job, train, learn, get promoted etc.
option B) Train to do the job to a mediochre standard, shelter myself from reality for 4 years, finally start the job I could have got when I started the education at the same rate of pay and ultimately fail at it because my life skills are 4 years behind what they would have been BUT get 3dsMax at a rock bottom price.

It's a tough decision, but Max wins even though as a student your drugs habbit prevents you saving up even $500.

Pneumatic Dryll
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 01:27
If your looking to do a bit of 3D i reccomend you download Gmax is similar to max 4 but without the renderer, or try maya PLE edition even if only to try them out before buying max 4 to see what you think you can also get a free 30 day demo of max 5 from some places.

wednesday
Years of Service
User Offline
G-Max is fundamentally flawed as far as I'm concerned. It only works with specific games and it has omitted some of the best features of Max proper like character studio(not surprising considering it's free)

Not bad if you're a beginner I suppose, but without Meshtools Max's modelling tools feel extremely sluggish (I think 5 has these as standard).

I know max quite well, and I've already ordered a copy of the max 5 demo to see whether I want it that badly. I know Maya's supposed to be great but I'm too ingrained in the Max mindset to change at this stage.

If I could find a legit version of Max 4 for US$500 or thereabouts I'd probably get it and wait until the beginning of next year to get 5.

If anyone knows a specific vendor who is carrying Max 4 at that price I'd appreciate greatly knowing who they are.

None of the one's I've contacted so far seem to have it.

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 01:58
Gmax does have a few flaws but if you do like gmax even a little then you should like max i did not use gmax for games just to practice making 3d objects, i use max at the moment but when i have learned max inside out and consider my self to be a good moddeler then i will go over to maya cos it's a great application just a little complex for a beginner like me.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 14:59
DarkSith, Dark Basic does not promote pirating in any way shape or form.

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Tech Demo - Colan Island: Currently 716 Lines
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 16:18
Nah Gmax is good,he's just refering to a set of tools(predefined actions) that actually don't achieve anything more than Max's built-in tools but does it faster.

Still,it's a major addon for Max from what I've seen to finally be comparable to a few of Maya or Softimage XSi's tools...or Wings3D

In fact,that's the point in making your own scripts,in the end of the day you'll be working unilaterally...In my opinion,you should define what your own workflow and methods are and implement your own personalized scripts/plugins...I mean,it's not like it wasn't made easy in Max,hell it is in Softimage

Caught by the Fuzz,well I was,still on my buzz
In the back of the Van,with my,head in my hands
DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 13:05
I know that, RPG Gamer! I was just saying that he could if he wanted to.

"He will join us, or die my Master..." - Darth Vader
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 14:46
Yes but thats advertising for pirating which we dont support either

RPGamer

Tech Demo - Colan Island: Currently 716 Lines
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 15:51
Agree with RPG... the only way to stop people pirating is to make sure they don't see it as a viable option.

however i don't think this guy would give the chance, as i think he's trying to get a package which doesn't have restrictions to purchase Max.
Standard Max you'll find around is still Max4 - Max5 is being taken up, but only with the studios that require heavier shader development.

Maya4.5 is still the standard Maya
as Softimage XSI 3.0 is still the standard SoftImage.

SoftImage XSI EXP 3.0 is free and is about as fully featured as the full program - not useful for commercial purposes right now, however if you get to a point where you need to retail your work then it is one of the cheaper of the entire batch of modelers around.

$500 for Max4 is not the Student Price, as i think that is now around $250 - since Max5 was released Max4 dropped in price like a stone ... and you've been given the link to the official retailers of Max products.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 16:53 Edited at: 9th May 2003 16:57
Xsi is great I tell ya,I am totally in love with it and it's only the experience version.You will learn tons just using it.I'd be still using MayaPLE if it wouldn't be of that re-registering thing every x months though it's still very recommendable,for my part I'm just lazy.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2003 18:20
lol ... i think Maya's and SoftImages polytools are what i really love - and has anyone else notice all the little Maya features that Discreet have put in Max5 hehe i wonder why

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
wednesday
Years of Service
User Offline
I just e-mailed discreet ang got this reply:

Dear Sir,

your details were passed on to me by one of our resellers.

Unfortunately 3ds max 4 is no longer available for sale I'm sorry to say.. Last September we introduced 3ds max 5, and then in January this year, 5.1 and end of lifed 3ds max 4 at that time.

All our resellers would have rotated their stock from 4 to 5 when we announced v5, as most customers would prefer the updated version.

May I ask why you require max 4 over max5, is it a specific project, majority of plugins, scripts etc for max 4 work seamlessly with max 5.

Regards

Peter Moxom
Discreet

Peter Moxom
Industry Manager
Animation & Desktop Video
Discreet Asia Pacific peter.moxom@discreet.com
http://www.discreet.com
TEL: +65 6555 0116
FAX: +65 6552 0483
Mob: +65 9137 3784

I'm here to be proven wrong, but I can't find any evidence that max 4 exists as a new product, student or otherwise.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 05:14
ebay ebay ebay!!!

RPGamer

Starting from scratch, TOTAL REHAUL!
wednesday
Years of Service
User Offline
Max licenses aren't that easily transferable, from what I've heard.

It doesn't matter, i'm going to use truespace 3.2 for the time being (ironic, since it was the first 3d program i used).

When i'm back in the groove i might give 6.5 a go. it's only $599 and should be okay for my needs.

The Big Babou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 13:52
they provide "backup CDs" and as you imagine, you have to own the original CD to legalize having a backup CD, otherwise it's warez and that is what nobody wants
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2003 15:55
It IS warez anyways since the backup should be made from your OWN original copy...

wednesday
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not interested in warez. I'd like to show off my stuff guilt free.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 04:13
Welp since it IS in fact warez, those posts can say hello to the trash can!

Starting from scratch, TOTAL REHAUL!
Siege Delux
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2003 12:18
Hah, i got 3d studio max 3.1 releas. But it is not so good.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 00:46:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 00:46:32