Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Which Game Design Books? (*_*)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 13:51
I wanna ask anybody here who would recommend good game designs book for me.

So far, I've got one from Richard Rouse III - Game Design: Theory & Practise (http://www.paranoidproductions.com/gamedesign/) and its not only full of infos, he wrote it in a way for ppl to have fun reading it (u know, funny, comical way)

I'm planning to buy this book (on this month's salary):
http://www.fabjob.com/video.html - wat do u all think about it?

I've also checked out some other games design books from:

Game Discovery:
http://www.gamediscovery.com/ideas/menu/shop/main_shop.asp?shop_id=4
and more infos from GameDev & Gamasutra.

So many books, but which can u all recommend?

oh yeah, if u happen to come across game design resources (preferably full, not just only about one chapter!) from the Net, pls do tell also!
Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

http://www.planetps2.com/metalgear/images/Series/msx/MetalGear2SolidSnake/mglogo.gif[/img]
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 17:21 Edited at: 6th May 2003 17:25
THE "Game Design: The Art and Business of creating games." is a good book it tells you how to plan out your design.

there one call GENES GAME DESIGN(1 to 3) these give you the code in c++ for ever thing from GUIs to AIs.

[edit]
Quote: "DarkBASIC
Software
DarkBASIC is one of the best game development and rapid prototyping tools you could buy. The most valuable aspect of DarkBASIC is its community. The DarkBASIC community is an active closely-knit group of game developers, 3d modelers, and musicians. The community always welcomes new members and is a superb source for help and ideas."

game discovery
ha ha ha
[/edit]

--Dr 0--

Most people are other people.Their thoughts are someone else`s opinions,thier lives a mimicry,their passions a quotation
Oscar Wilde
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2003 17:20
i`v look i the book shop and it not GENES GAME DESIGN its GAME PROGRAMING GENES.

--Dr 0--

Most people are other people.Their thoughts are someone else`s opinions,thier lives a mimicry,their passions a quotation
Oscar Wilde
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 01:35
snake... dont get a book. well 1st tell me what your learning. if your only trying to learn darkbasic then you dont need a book, you need a mentor or summit. books are a waste of money. all they really do is guide you through making a game. a single game. after that all your games can only really be slight modifications on that. what you really need is to learn to understand stuff like tech demos cos they show off the complicated commands you would otherwise never use. dont make the mistakes i did. im now stuck to making programs consisting of the same commands and my abilities are seriously limited. i think how you go about starting is what will determine how successful you are.

oh yeah and if you are hoping to learn some real professional languages, rumour has it that you shouldnt start with any amateur language. they give you bad habits which you'll never escape. in that case just get some C language and use online tutorials all over the place to build up knowledge of all the availble things. itll be slow but worthy time investment.
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2003 02:12
Dr O: Thankz for checking out the books dude! I'll take a look myself this weekend (not buying it yet - referring to Maniac's post)

Maniac: So far I got the book after i read it halfway from the library. Thankz for the advice though, i'll keep that in mind. So far i know just java & vb (and yeah, DBP ). Currently going into the C family but i'm in no rush.

Programmings aside, reason why i wanna learn game design is because i wanna know wat else am i missing. I've read here & there, been to this seminars & that lectures (heck, i got a degree in it!), but as u know, the knowledge is always upgrading... and my interest is the game design knowledge. Its just so big because everybody got lots of ideas for it [ technical & artistic & creativity ], its just never stops because it covers tha entire game production.

Hmm... maybe nobody shares my hobby & this probably bores ppl, its just my personal interest really. I got money to spare on a good book every month, and who knows maybe this hobby might turn into something useful in a few years time? Bet it should be better than my current job, thats for sure!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 07:06:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 07:06:19