Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / this has nothing to do with DB, just wanted to show it...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 16:40
old pic though....

(C++/OpenGL)
"What is darkness? It doesn't exist where there's light, and without light, it's nothing..."
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 17:24
Now, just recreate it in DB with a virtual baseball bat so you can smash the place up.

Mindless violence, that's what I want.

Gronda, Gronda
doxxan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 17:28
hehe, have no plans to recreate it in DB. this is actually a remake already, of an earlier version I also did in C++/OpenGL. Sick n tired of it

oh well.

"What is darkness? It doesn't exist where there's light, and without light, it's nothing..."
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 17:29
pretty cool considering you made that with c++/opengl wonder how hard lights and shadows would be to implement. Yeah how long was your code to actually get that up and running?

everyday of life is a new chapter that has already been fortold but is up to the soul to capture.
doxxan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 17:32
let's see now, first there's the engine.....

about 4000+ lines of code.....

then there's the actual progg..... about 500 lines...

well, it's not that much. lights were implemented but I didn't get it working the way I wanted in time (was for an exhibition for our school), so I left it out in the final exe.

got some small info about my engine and stuff at my site, although I haven't updated it in awhile, and it's not really accurate anymore

http://www.doxxan.8m.com

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 17:48
It's funny, it takes more code to setup the Window side of the OpenGL app than it does to do the actual rendering LOL. I mean, you take a look at http://nehe.gamedev.net/ and some of the tutorials, theres more code for the windows initialization than anything else LOL.

"Man who looses key to woman's appartment...... He get no nookie" - A wise chinese man.
doxxan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 17:54
yeah, well, the window part of my engine is about 1500 lines of code (init window, adding buttons etc), the ogl part of my engine is only about 100-200 lines (actual OGL calls), the rest ~2500 lines are my engine object handling routines and maths. The .3ds and .tga loading routines are kinda huge.

hehe, most of the time, more code are done initializing the progg than executing it . but you're right, Win32Api is hell, so it's more code getting a window up and running than initializing OGL and do stuff.

*sigh, oh well

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 17:56
At the end of the day, OpenGL isn't really that hard to use, I've found anywayz. I'd most certainly rather use GL than DX. Tried using DX before, 'kin nitemare!!

"Man who looses key to woman's appartment...... He get no nookie" - A wise chinese man.
doxxan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 18:03
I wrote my first engine in VB using DX 8. Nitemare. Switched to C++, still using DX 8. Still Nitemare. Switched from DX 8 to OGL. Well, it's easier to use, but I miss some of the features of DX, like built in sound support, input, networking etc. Using OpenAL for sound now, Winsock for networking and Win32Api for input. (I'm going to code it crossplatform so I'm not using anything DX anymore. Not sure what I'm gonna do with Winsock though )

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 18:41
I'm sure there are thirdparty libraries that support network comms etc. Just a matter of finding one that's under the GNU licence. I've always been confused about the GNU issue because could you still profit from your apps even though you're using a cross platform library that's under the GNU license?

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2003 23:23
I love mindless violence

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Tech Demo - Colan Island: Currently 716 Lines
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2003 06:24