Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / DBRemake: Space Invaders

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 00:11 Edited at: 6th Sep 2008 02:44
Dbproguy Productions presents

DBRemake: Space Invaders

This is the first part of my DBRemake pack, which contains remakes of several old games.

Space Invaders was one of the first video arcade games from back in 1978, the first game of the first year of the golden age of video arcade games. The gameplay was simple - the player, a laser cannon would try to defeat waves of space invaders by shooting them, Each wave consisted of five rows of eleven space invaders. These space invaders moved across the screen, back and forth moving down a little when they reached a side. Between the player and the space invaders were 4 barricades which were destroyed by several enemy or player shots. Space Invaders was the first game to keep a hiscore.

{EDIT: I'm no longer working on this game, I'll be making an entry for the retro remakes competition. Have fun with the game though and still post here if you find anything unusual.}

This remake uses graphics from 2D Graphics Buffet (AKA Free Stuff) by David Gervais, Fonts from dafont.com and music from someplace I found on these forums though I can't remember where, The guy's name is Matthew A McFarland.

Progress:

Controls
Invaders
UFO
Bonuses
Barricades
Player Shooting
Invader Shooting
Menu
Difficulty Levels
Scoring
Saved Hi-scores
Lives

Here's some pictures and a demo is attached:

The first three or so days:
Gameplay 1(old)
Gameplay 2(old)
Gameplay 3(old)

The next five or so days
Menu
Gameplay 1
Gameplay 2
Gameplay 3

Attached is the latest version (09/05) but the second bonus (the big missiles) doesn't work yet.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 00:17
Glad you didn't limit it to the classic "single shot and wait" method. I hate that! Space Invaders Extreme on the DS is the absolute best version of SI I've ever played - whatever you can steal from that game (inspiration wise) would be well received

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Well done looks like you did a really great job

The admiral
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 19:08
@Rich, I never liked the "single shot and wait" stuff either and I've tried Space Invaders Extreme on DS, it's an excellent game if you are into the old stuff!

@The admiral, thanks!

I realized I forgot to add difficulty levels, scoring and saved hi-scores to the list of items under progress so I added those just now. I'm working on the difficulty levels before I mess my code up too much to add other stuff. I hope to have the difficulty levels finished Saturday as I've got a few other things to do today and tomorrow.

Again thanks for the support
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 19:27
Nice. With the speed of their movement relative to yours and your shots, it seems the best tactic is to stay in the middle and keep firing. Still pretty sweet though. Works solidly. I need to see if i can find some of that free music!

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks cool. And I'm glad to see my avatars are still a hit nowadays.haha

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 17:35 Edited at: 31st Aug 2008 06:38
@Mr Tank - I find it hard to stay in one place because of the invaders firing, and in later levels (as soon as difficulty levels are complete) the monsters will go so fast you will have to go to the side and hit them by columns instead of the bottom row first (so they take longer to reach the bottom)

@Deathead - Thanks and thanks for the avatar

Expect an update later today (at least some screenies, not sure if I'll release another demo yet.

EDIT: I went ahead and uploaded some screenies then my game stopped working :o I'll fix that. I decided I'll release new demos every friday hopefully. Also the old screenies I just made into links to make room for the new ones!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 20:23
A fun little game and rather challenging too!
Nice work!

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 02:31
This week I started school and have been busy otherwise, I thought about entering retro remakes competition (at RetroRemakes) which would mean stopping work on this project until that competition is over.

Anyways this week I have bonuses. The second bonus (with the big bullets) doesn't quite work yet however. Anyways, have fun!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:56:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:56:01