Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Sioux RTS wip

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 20:19 Edited at: 24th Jun 2006 02:46
Ok, before you flame me, most of the work that has gone into this game cannot be seen yet because its the background coding and not the game coding.
However I thought it was still worth posting this as a WIP so you can see and comment on the ideas and GUI i am working on.

Sioux is a Real Time Strategy game set in 1870's in the Wild West. It is based around the unrealism of Hollywood Westerns as I thought this would make a change from all the FPS and WW2 games i see everywhere.
You play as the American Forces with General J. Wayne based in Fort Laramie.
The main aim of the game is to protect the civlian homesteads outside of Laramie from the Hostiles (Sioux Indians). There are also several other mini-objectives such as destroying the Hostile Reservation, protecting the Stagecoach and Ringo Kid, and other special characters such as the Lone Ranger and War Wagon.
You also need to prevent the Gun Runners from reaching any hostile forces, as they will supply them with guns.
To stop it from being a walk over for the Americans, they are going to be outnumbered almost all the time. At various times in the game groups of 10 to 100 Hostiles from will arrive on the map and start looking for American Troops to attack etc.

Other little things include, limited ammunition resulting in saving the last bullet for the women (there are no children in the game, just as there are none (more or less) in hollywood).
You can command gatling guns, get scared when the Hostile Drums start beating, and other similiar things.

The structure to the game is not like any normal RTS. You cannot select a single soldier, instead the game works around the Section (5 Troopers) being the smallest unit. I have yet to work on the AI but that will come when I purchase DarkAI in a few weeks time.

Current Progress (1466 lines (with comments):
- Done
- Working on
- To Do

Players Setup
Hostile Setup
Cursor [ic: amiga]

Map
Menu's
Compass (Radar)

Models currently using simple box modelled placeholders

Movement and AI awaiting response for DarkAI order

Screens of GUI
Main Menu

New Game Menu

In Game HUD

I wont be able to progress further on this until about a weeks time due to exams and stuff

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 20:51
Good GUI, guy.
It sounds quite interesting, but i want to see ingame screenshots
The ideas also seem to be good.
So hurry up, i want to know more.
Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 21:46
thanks
Well, ingame screenshots atm at kinda pointless, since i have no models just placeholder boxes.
also i am working on the bit which decides what troops you start off with (like in the new game screenshot), and where they start.
on that note, the units start in the fort always and march out of it, and it is where you have to take the civilians to protect them. if you lose the fort you wont be able to last for very long.
the hostiles can attack the fort, and sometimes things like ammunition magazines might explode...so i am also working on particle effects.
but like i said, unfortunately cos of this thing called school and exams i cant do anything for another week , but then, i shall work on the models.
still deciding which modeller i like best before i completely start, i have been using anim8or for tests, but you cant use the animations in DBPro, which sucks.

Hmm
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Placeholder boxes are better than nothing. And why not search the 3d thread for Psionic's dwarf model? That should be a good placeholder at least. Even though there were no dwarven cowboys.

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 15:57
hehe dwarve cowboys.
yeh i started modelling the fort in anim8or, looking good but well over 5000 polys. gunna have to cut that down, perhaps not model each wall spike thing, just texture them on.
will post it some time soonish (prob not today)

Hmm
Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 17:21
ok, i have finished my last exam today, and i am free from the evil clutches of school and work in general. so i took the opportunity to go through my code and rework it all. I have redone the selection and movement code, although the movement code wont work until i get DarkAI, which i need a job first to get. I will continue working on the other bits first though.
Also got to work out saving udt's as well. Searched and found a couple of methods, but they dont seem to work. I have managed to save a udt so long as all the values are integers and you convert it to a load of normal arrays...kinda a problem seeing as i have real values i want to save, but i shall work around it.

Hmm
Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 18:22
some early pictures of the fort and trooper models in game. i coloured the trooper models to represent their rank, the darker the colour the higher their rank:

I am just ordering DarkAI too, so soon i will have that to play with.

Hmm
Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 02:43
its interesting talking to ones self
yeah i have done the compass, with a small redesign of the HUD as i dont know how to do a circular compass.
updating the first post to show the done list better

Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 14:02
Awesome idea. This would be interesting to play.

I applaud.
ConorH
Years of Service
User Offline
Props to j00!

looks good. AOE esque
Be sure to include hotkeys!
every RTS needs the element of micro

its my new rat tail dog!
Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 19:28
cheers guys. darkai is awaiting download still (wont be avaliable until monday), so i cant do much more progress until i have experimented with that.
i will be sure to include hotkeys, but there wont be any economy in the game, your reinforcements will be randomly given at different time intervals (depending on the game speed), as well as the hostile forces and special characters.

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2006 22:39
you could do it like in "Z". areas with flags to hold. the more flags you hold the faster the units reinforce.

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2006 01:12
hmm, nice idea. there are going to be areas to hold. such as the homesteads and the mission (church), and a hill side mining camp. i like the sound of doing that. cheers

i have got darkai and i am experimenting with it, might be able to get something working in the next few days, then actually work on the reinforcement and hostile forces side of things to make something actually playable.

Xo TwOfAcE oX
Years of Service
User Offline
cool menu!
Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 14:49
cheers.

umm, i have been doing other things for a while, but i shall get back to this and start working on a real model for the troopers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 14:36:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 14:36:03