Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Game Developer - Game Creation Utility (EasyEdit and Compiler Preview)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 09:44 Edited at: 31st Jul 2006 07:30
Update 4 Patch
It has recently been brought to my attention that there was an error with update 4's demo version. The error proved to be correct, upon testing the program, a black screen was all there was. So i have released a patch on my site to allow you to avoid this error, and continue testing the software. Also, I will not have internet on the first, the most-likely result is that this thread will die... So if it does, i will start a new one, in the mean time, enjoy the software and it's ability to save (and load)!

STOP RIGHT THERE!
http://www.7-zip.org
An update in a .rar format is being uploaded as i type! My service provider however will not let me upload .zip or .exe files. Once uploaded i will tell you all the features, and possibly rewrite this entire post (for easier readability overall). Also, for those with a speedy internet connection, they might want to download older versions. Above is the 7zip site. And here it is again...
http://www.7-zip.org/

If you would like to see the original post, scroll down towards the bottem of the page to find it.

update 4
Download update 4 here!
http://www.freewebs.com/geniesoftware/EasyEdit%20Demo%20v4.rar

What does update 4 feature?

- Fixed bugs
- Save/Load options
- a .pdf guide
- A directory setup
- A FAQs.txt file
- a setup.ini file

Enjoy it!

NOTE: Update 4 will require you to replace the setup.ini file, with this one here...

Just choose save when editing the .ini.

Any further questions, just post.

Comments, suggestions, etc. Just post.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 13:21
erm, was this made in Dark Basic/Professional? If it wasn't then it should not be posted in this board.

visit http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic for FPSC models, media and games.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 13:41
The screenshots are quite obviously DBP.

I'll take a closer look at this later and give better feedback.

Come see the WIP!
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 13:52 Edited at: 16th Jul 2006 13:52
oh, sorry my mistake. I made that comment before I downloaded the screens. It looks good.

visit http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic for FPSC models, media and games.
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 14:05
Can someone upload them all seperately into the thread in 1 post please i hate downloading screenshots

Platformer Compo!
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 15:27

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 16:27
Hey man .. Great looking gui

Ive starting converting it to dgsdk.. here is what I have so far.. ( just in case anyone needs it)

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 06:03 Edited at: 17th Jul 2006 07:55
Great! You are converting to DGSDK, this is good for the DGDK community! Good job.

Now then, Game Developer has updates! And a demo! I'll post the updates on the upper page, and the demo will be available for download here, and here ONLY. Please refrain from posting on other pages, instead just post a link to this page only, or post to the home page, but do not falsely say that it is on the home page, thank you. (I will be releasing demos exclusively for this WIP, that is all.)

NOTE: I am not trying to take the spotlight from dbp. I would like for this to be sold on tgc, as an actuall product that people use. The GUI will be updated later on to make it look more professional. There are some bugs in this release, but those are mainly GUI problems, and not editor problems. For a list of commands, goto "Help"->"Help File" and a message box will display the controls of the editor. Good luck using it, post whatever bugs you find. Happy downloading!

-db

[PREPOST ALTERATION] For some reason i am unable to load the exe. I will try again later with a .7z file (It's the smallest, most compressed, file format available, just search 7zip if you don't have it.)

[EDIT] I have finished uploading it, i tried about 6-8 times on this forums server, then twice on my server. It worked the 2nd time on my server. It IS a .7z file, so you will need 7zip. Hey, think about it this way, all the other times i attempted to upload it, it was a .exe, and didnt work, so i spent around 2hours trying to upload it. Now we can all be happy that the file is uploaded, right? Of course! Everyone loves demos! (When the things not ready, or they are unsure they want to buy)

Game Developer
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=84124&b=8
Be Ruler of your World...
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 08:10 Edited at: 17th Jul 2006 08:23
Alright, here is the download link...
http://www.freewebs.com/geniesoftware/EasyEdit%20Demo%20%287z%29.7z
If you have problems with the link, try getting it from the site itself. Remember that it IS a demo version. I want to sell it as well so saving, loading, and compiling features are not available to it. Menu items that don't do anything are most likely because the functions have not been implemented yet. The source to the GUI is in the top post, those using dgsdk should use the one that EddieB is converting. Happy downloading! And enjoy the demo!

NOTE: Certain tools are not included yet, you will need to create a few folders which are:

Remember that, if some one would like to make a setup exe to do this automatically, by all means, go ahead, but i'm not going to upload one after attempting it 7+ times...

[EDIT] Please give comments, suggestions, criticism, etc. I want to know what you all want to see in a game creation system. After all, 100 opinions is better than 100 views (in my case anyways). I would really prefer it too, that way i know that if i implement it, it will get someone's attention, and not just sink misserably. And, mods, what do you think of it?

So, yeah, please give comments, suggestions, etc. Thank You!

Game Developer
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 22:33 Edited at: 17th Jul 2006 22:34
I like the gui. The only problem is that the menu below the title bar doesn't disappear when you get the cursor off of it.
Here is a screenshot of what I mean:

Since the cursor is off the menu, it should go away.

I don't think you have any chance to sell it though, but its your right to try

Good luck, and keep up the good work!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 07:29 Edited at: 18th Jul 2006 09:02
Quote: "
The only problem is that the menu below the title bar doesn't disappear when you get the cursor off of it.
"

Yeah, i know... That's more a problem with using the GUI, as opposed to the application itself. This will be fixed once i get BlueGUI

I don't think you have any chance to sell it though, but its your right to try
"

That's because it's on beta one, and you havent seen any games yet. Thanks for the opinion!

Check the top to learn about the updates to the compiler! (There is an update on the compiler) And, as soon as I edit my post. (That way you don't have to go to my website).

Glad you like the GUI.

Any other comments any one? I need comments, or the likeliness of someone getting it will be low because i only have my own thoughts to it, and not others...

EDIT: A lot of people seem to like the GUI, so, should I keep it, or go with one some what similiar along the lines of the 3d gamemaker... Here is what i mean...

Something like that?

@cash curtis
Have you determined it?

Did you ever dream of creating a professional 3d game, easily, and fast? Game Developer
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 07:59
Uh, anyone?

There's a new update out, i'll upload it as soon as i convert to demo version...

And, keep the GUI, or change it? Comments? Criticism? Suggestions? Anything will do...

Did you ever dream of creating a professional 3d game, easily, and fast? Game Developer
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 15:08 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2006 15:14
Wow that truly is amazing, DB! How did ya learn so much in just about 6 months!? The GUI is nice. But how did ya do the windows?

I just tried the demo... It's nice but I can't seem to get any objects to load in. And how do I move the camera? It keeps going offscreen whenever I load an object

My Functions: Mine
Post yours: Post
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2006 08:38
Quote: "How did ya learn so much in just about 6 months!?"

6 months? Has it only been that long?
Well, whenever some one said that dbpro was only for making games, or not to try it, i just did it any ways because i wanted to push dbp past what it was meant to do.

Oh, i also spent about 4-12 hours a day learning dbpro. I experimented with all the commands that meant what to me...

Quote: "The GUI is nice. But how did ya do the windows?"

By windows do you mean the Win32 windows, or the tabs? If you mean the tabs, it's in the open source GUI over there.

Quote: "I just tried the demo... It's nice but I can't seem to get any objects to load in. And how do I move the camera? It keeps going offscreen whenever I load an object"

Hmmm... That's stange... It doesnt happen with me.

I'm uploading the new demo (As a .zip) now. You'll have to check the site, unless other wise noted. Everything should work now. For more debugging though, what are you using? Windows 98, Windows 2000/ME, or Windows XP? If it's 98 that might explain some stuff, but not everything, 2000/ME, i don't know, i just sold my ME computer the other day. Hmmm.... I'll have to look into that a little more.

Happy downloading, and enjoy the demo!
-db

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2006 09:22
D'oh! I forgot, but the GUI is going to be dbp, i don't think i'll be changing it to something like t3dgm.

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2006 17:49
Quote: "Oh, i also spent about 4-12 hours a day learning dbpro."

WOW

That's when i'm usally skateboarding or something lol

er anyway back on topic
looking nice will give it a go later

Platformer Compo!
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 07:06
Oh, my bad, i forgot, freewebs won't let me upload any .zip or .exe files, i didnt bother with .rar though, so it's .7z again, sorry.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 07:28
Oh, sorry, and i have also added the "snap to grid" function as well! Woot! The software works slightly differant know. I'm sure it looks better than version 0.1 or 0.2! (That's because it is!)

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 07:55
Just thought you should all know, version 0.4 should be out pretty soon (It's customizable), along with a .pdf document explaining how to use it. If you don't have a pdf reader look for "foxit pdf reader", its much faster than adobe. Also, version 0.4 will feature re-texturability of objects, a "snap-to-grid" feature, and a .ini setup file which you can customize if it's in windowed, or fullscreen, the size of the window, etc.

Euphoria
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 13:10
Just a couple of points:

Your site only supplies .7z format files....that instantly stopped me from even looking at it. Perhaps supply a .rar or .zip alternative? Having an obscure file format just for its size is perhaps a bad idea, because the small saving you make the user looses cos they have to go searching for the utility (no direct link on your site) to decompress, download it and install it, then work out how to use it.....all to save a few kb's initially...

net result=it takes longer for the user to download and look at your project than it would if you just supplied a zip or rar file.

"Be ruler of your world" should perhaps be "Be the ruler of your world". Not that I'm a master at English but it doesn't read right to me

Good luck with your project!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 16:38
Euphoria. .7z should be supported by WinRAR, I'd suggest you get that, a few places seem to be using that file format.

DB, this looks great, I'll keep my eye on this.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 07:35
It has been done (Well, not uploaded quite yet).

The newest version (0.4) has been released in a .rar format with a .pdf document, and a .txt help file, along with a directory setup system, and a setup.ini file for configuration to meet your guys needs.

"Be ruler of your world" sounds fine to me, though true be it that proper english uses "Be the ruler of your world", my first language is dbp

Anyways, once uploaded i'll show the updates on my project.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 08:57 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 09:46
Here is the original post...
---------------------------------------------------
Hello All, I have been working on a project called "Game Developer" for a while now. What you want to know more details? Ok..

Compiler Update 1 (Version 0.4.5)
Alright, I have updated the compiler to parse faster, and use similiar syntax. Also, certain functions have been fixed, and the compiler is slightly being rewritten. It will still do the same stuff, just in about a split second per-twenty lines
I have here, a list of all the commands in the language so far (There are actually more, but these are core commands, the language uses certain core commands at runtime to create functions within the program, and then execute those functions once the program is finished.)

Game Developer is meant to be an "Easy to Use" Game Creation System. What features does it have right now? Here is a list for starters...

And what's being worked on?

That's what is done and is being worked on, but I would like an opinion from the community, What would you like to see? What do you want to have in Game Developer? Your choice.

FAQs about Game Developer...
Q: Is there a language so that we may program our games with complete control?
A: Yes.
Q: What kind of language?
A: You can use BASIC, and C++
Q: What kind of BASIC, is it similiar to DarkBASIC or DBPro? And what of C++? Is it like Visual C++ or Normal C++?
A: This BASIC is similiar to DBPro, but uses slightly differant semantics and syntax.
Q: Is there an editor for this "BASIC" and "C++" language?
A: Yes.
Q: Are there any screen shots for it?
A: Yes, in the included file.
Q: Why not just post them here?
A: My web server is updating, so i can post them there, then to this site.
Q: What about the games? Can we have screen shots of the games?
A: What games? I have not made a game yet that does more than tests commands and how they interact with each-other. Besides, it would not be fair to the engine to do this until it is ready.
Q: Alright, understood, is there anything else the community should know about this?
A: Yes, there is, Even though it uses software names "EasyEdit" (No relation to EasyFPS), that does not necessarily mean that it will be as "bad" as "The 3D Game Maker", see t3dgm was meant for kids, it even says so, this is meant for serious and professional Game Creators that want to make a store-quality game and be able to sell it in a few hours-days compared to months/years. It is designed to be as easy to use as "game maker" http://www.gamemaker.nl but even more powerfull than DarkBASIC. Now then, in the screenshots, you will see the editor has the DBP Icon, the editor is the only thing to be made by DBP. Everything else, C++.

Here are some functions not mentioned...
- Games run faster than the same games made by DarkBASIC and Pro
- Games icons work fine
- DarkBASIC to GDBasic (The BASIC language for GD) converter
- GDBasic to DarkBASIC Converter
- Various other free converters for images and models included.
- GDBasic Interrpreter (This will be worked on after the initial
release of Game Developer for Development speed purposes)
- Extendanality: This can be extended, FAR more than DBP due to
the way it has been designed.
- Easier than darkbasic? Absolutely! This is going to be easier
to use than DarkBASIC, mainly because I view it necessary
sometimes to do certain things as long functions other than
short, even though you have the ability to do the short, and
insert direct C++ code.
- Use DLLs? Of course! You can insert straight C++ code, remember?
A function to do this in BASIC is soon to be created (after
necessary things have been created as well)

That's all I can remember right now, please post comments, and suggestion. Oh, and the GUI is open-source, meaning you can use how, where, and when want, modify it, change it, destroy it, etc. Enjoy.

Screenshots attatched, GUI is here:

update 1
Alright, it is much easier to alter things at the bottem, then at the top for this post. So, here are the updates:

Something was decided for this update as well... I am going to buy BlueGUI for Game Developer to improve it's graphical functionality. This will fix a few bugs, and make it easier to work with. Also, if i find errors, i can just search for other peoples errors with blue. It's only $20, so i'm pretty sure i can afford it, what i'm afraid of is the download size... Wow, i hope it's not more than 10mb, my connection cancels out after about 3-5 hours on the internet, and it takes about 4-6 to download a 14mb file. But it only takes a minute to download a 1mb file. How does that one work???

Anyways, it has also been decided that i would like to sell this on tgc, so once it gets a little more finished, and if rich, lee, or mike (which ever one's make the decisions) decides to allow it, there might be a pre-order in the next month or two ready. Perhaps even sample downloads. But if they don't accept it, i would have been doing all this for nothing...

Another thing, if they dont accept it, but i find somewhere that does, i might have to hand pick about 4-5 people who are willing to agree to a contract and license for specific testing. I will pick off of this forum, as i don't trust the entire web. But then again, who does? lol.

One other thing, this BASIC language is almost similiar to dbp, here is some example code...

I think that's about right, that's the coding language, it is not meant to be an advantage for the user, rather the editor. It will most likely be downgraded for better, and faster parsing. And, with faster parsing, we have faster compile times as well!!

If you would like more detailed explanation of this code, i would be more than happy to let you know what everything does. But i will not say how, because i don't like the idea of some, person, coming along and stealing the way something works.

DOWNLOAD THE CURRENT DEMO VERSION HERE: http://www.freewebs.com/geniesoftware/EasyEdit%20Demo%20%287z%29.7z
(You will need 7Zip... I'll post their site later...)

Update 2
Sorry, i forgot to mention the update. I'm not going to mention what had happened because Update 3 is out now....

Update 3
Yay, update 3 is out! And what does it have in store for you all? Well, to get started, the GUI looks better than ever (Still no Blue though), next the font has been changed (Not much), menu system names changed a little bit. An icon was made, various "write to menu" bugs fixed, an ini system is in the works! And (I'm pretty sure) much more! Go ahead, get that download! Enjoy it! Be the one whom tested a beta, go on, i know you want to! lol.
--------------------------------------------------------

Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 20:36
I just tried update 4. After running it and getting it to install on my C drive, I then run that, and it locks up. It doesn't load at all.

Just a blackness inside the window, and nothing more.

Have to use CTRL ALT DEL to close it.

I replaced the setup.ini file as instructed and tried it again. Same problem.

update 4
Download update 4 here!
http://www.freewebs.com/geniesoftware/EasyEdit%20Demo%20v4.rar
"

Has anyone got this working?

The screenshots look very impressive. I'm rather enthusiastic about trying this.

Are there any .dlls I need to make this work? Do I have to buy anything other than DBP, which I already own?

the last sane human being in a world gone mad
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 04:06
No, nothing needed. That's very strange.

Did you already run the GD Setup.exe file?

Are any other programs running while it is running?
- If so, what programs?
- How many?
- How many in the background?

What is your operating system?

Alright, if it's still not working, do this...

goto "My Computer" then choose the "C:" drive. (I know, but i'm trying to make this as simple as possible)

Now in the C: drive, look for a folder called "GameDeveloper"

Now then, check if all these files (and folders) are in place...

C:\GameDeveloper\EasyEdit.exe
C:\GameDeveloper\FAQs.txt
C:\GameDeveloper\setup.ini
C:\GameDeveloper\Compiler
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\ApplySpecialFX.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\Delete.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\EndOfBlock.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\Ground_Texture.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\If.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\InsertCode.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\Keypress.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\LOADIMAGE.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\LoadObject.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\Mouse.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\ogl.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\Position.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\PRINT.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\Rotate.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\Script.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\Software.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Editor\StartOfBlock.bmp
C:\GameDeveloper\Help\EasyEditGuide.pdf
C:\GameDeveloper\Media\Graphics
C:\GameDeveloper\Media\Graphics\Images
C:\GameDeveloper\Media\Graphics\Models
C:\GameDeveloper\Media\Sound
C:\GameDeveloper\Projects

Do all those exist, in their proper places? (NOTE: Anything in the list without an extension is a folder, everything with one, is a file (as i'm sure you know))

If the .pdf isnt there, that's fine though.

If so, if your pc isnt very fast, then let the app sit there a while, go out, get a cofee, whatever, come back, if a message box pops up saying "Demo Version, Please buy full...", then SUCCESS! It was just a laggy load time. Though, if this is true, i will have to work greatly on the load time. (Or switch to DGSDK..)

Also, replace the setup.ini file with this one (This time, i made sure it was the right one...)

All should go well, as everything is as it should be now.

If it's still not working, please tell me about the rig your using.

NOTE: Please attempt to tell me today, as my internet is being shut off very soon.

Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 06:18
The help file was created in C:\ not in C:\GameDeveloper\Help\

I copied the setup.ini again and ran it again. Then waited patiently while it loaded up.

Hmm... lot of stuff doesn't work yet. Can't get any light to work so even when I load an .x model to place, everything is still black.

The help file isn't much help.

the last sane human being in a world gone mad
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 06:39
Meh, help files are never much help

But, i didnt understand that post,
Quote: "I copied the setup.ini again and ran it again. Then waited patiently while it loaded up.

Hmm... lot of stuff doesn't work yet. Can't get any light to work so even when I load an .x model to place, everything is still black."

So, you loaded the .x model? You can, or can't see the GUI? I will check the source code for a problem.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 07:14 Edited at: 31st Jul 2006 07:25
Alright, problem has not been found, however, i ran a recompilation and it worked fine, i am uploading it to freewebs now, just replace the new file with the other one (or better yet, rename it).

It will be on the freewebs main page shortly...

EDIT: It's done uploading!

Wolf Dreamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 23:50
I had forgotten about this.

Is there a reason when I try this, it locks up for a time, and when I do the CTRL ALT DEL thing it shows that hundreds of millions of bytes of virtual memory are being used?

I assume there is some sort of severe memory leak program.

Still got the black screen, and when it did load up that once after a long delay, it gave me an error, unable to load image number 160 or something like that.

No one else had problems?

The last sane human being in a world gone mad.
If you were a cockroach, what type of cockroach would you be?
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 03:26
Sorry, this thread is no longer in use. Check out the other thread. (It's in my sig).

As for the programs problem, grab the PATCH for it, and place the patch into the same directory as GameDeveloper, then execute the patch. That should fix everything.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 11:42:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 11:42:40