Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

NVIDIA Competition 2008 / [geo] [first person adventure]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2006 04:59 Edited at: 18th Oct 2006 05:00

I'm entering an adventure - FPS hybrid for the competition. Think a mix of Tron and Metroid Prime. You play as John Doe, a software diagnostics engineer who has been working on a project that will rake in millions for you company. This project is called Geo. Geo will be an app that redefines the way we learn and comprehend, it will be able to change the average IQ of humanity, it will be able to reverse mental afflictions, etc. How it does this you'll learn as you progress through the game. But something happens...

As you walk home to your apartment (this job is barely paying for that as of now, so a car is not an option) you see a shady figure. The figure follows you for two blocks and then disappears. You just keep going, curious as to what just happened. When you go home, you find something odd awaiting you. A brief-case. What's inside is the key to the game, and that is as far as I will go with the story.

Right now I've got a first person engine going with sliding collision based upon Gman and Lost in Thought's code. I'm working on an interaction system between NPCs and the combat system.

I'll be posting screens on the weekend.

So what is the game going to play like? Take the controls of your every-day FPS, and then apply them to an adventure game akin to Indigo Prophecy. Add some of the elements from Metroid Prime or Zelda and you have Geo. The idea for this game is that I wanted to make a unique experiance that was plausible for me going at it alone. Urbia proved that I couldn't do something that major alone (though the project lives on with a small team beginning work on a new version in XNA Express) but is aesthetically pleasing and high quality. I wanted to invigorate the adventure genre, and so I felt we needed a game that took it to a different setting, and one that could give a unique visual style.

As I said, screens on Saturday.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline

A screenshot! Anyways, right now I'm using a test level that will be used to get the engine up and running. Right now I have the jump feature, and a basic portal feature working. I'm working on the "shot" and "slash" weaponry that will be used in combat scenarios. Then I'll work on the scanning feature (akin to metroid prime) and add in character interaction.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2006 03:35
Looks good so far, I like the story line.

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2006 12:39
nice idea, nice screen, good luck matey (you're gonna need it [evil laugh] )

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the comments guys! Anyways I don't want to show any more screens until I get an answer to this question. I know the Radeon 9200 doesn't support the Shader 2.0 model, it supports 1.4 for pixel shaders and 1.1 for vertex shaders, is there anywhere that I can find out what version of the shader model I'll need to use shaders? Because I really want to use Shaders and see what they look like for myself in game.

Thanks in advance,
Cian

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone? Anyways, I'll be posting some new screens and maybe a video on the weekend, I've been meticulously working on the gun recoil and muzzle flare, because I don't want it to look like some of the crap we've seen on everyday W.i.p's, and I'm working on super basic enemy AI so you have something to shoot at.

Javaguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2006 22:18
Quote: " don't want it to look like some of the crap we've seen on everyday W.i.p's"

oh thats cruel

I couldnt really see anything in your first screenshot, so dark! Maybe its just me though.

A Black And White style Paradise Sim. Check it out in the Nvidia Forums
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah it is a bit dark. But that's part of the atmosphere I plan to create. Don't worry though, I do plan on having an option to change the brightness because that can be a pain in the ass - Dead Rising being a great example. I can't see the goddamn thing attacking me!

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I've come to the decision that Geo won't be an entry into this contest, but I will still be entering. I've realized that the scope and length of the story would only work against the title more so than anything else because the features are progressive, ala Metroid Prime... I should have my new entry up in a few days. I hope you guys like it. =)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 11:34:31
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 11:34:31