Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Game Design Theory / Modern Conflict-FPS Idea

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 06:32
Modern Conflict is a game idea that has evolved over the past year or two, and is now second on my game priority list behind PoPR, so I thought I’d present the idea and get feedback.

The games story is based on a WWIII scenario, of which I’ve come up with one possibility so far. The basic story (as of now) a Middle Eastern coalition (United Arab Nations, UAN) invades Israel and stops oil trade with the US and much of the EU. The “Euro-American Coalition” (EAC), because of dependence on oil, obligation to protect Israel, and fear of an increase in terrorism and unrest in the world, intervenes. North Korea uses the opportunity of EAC concentration in the Middle East given to form a military alliance with China, forming the Eastern Asia Alliance (EAA) and attacks South Korea, Japan, southern Russia, and Taiwan. Russia joins the EAC at this point, in order to receive aid in fighting the EAA. So amidst all of these conflicts and fighting in all of these locations is where the player comes in…

Although the story is somewhat cliché, that’s not what makes the game unique. What does make it unique? It’s combination of RPG and FPS elements and realism. You won’t be playing a random unnamed soldier, respawning every time you die or stepping into the shoes of a fictional character, loading at the last checkpoint every time you die. In fact, you should rarely ever die, if you play right. This is where my idea of realism comes in. In real war, the casualty rate isn’t an average of 95% like most games would like you to believe, but even in the very worst of cases, around 50%. So the game will be carried out realistically in all aspects to achieve the feeling of real war. Longer engagement distances, more realistic accuracy, more careful AI, big consequences for being shot, massive, realistic-sized battles, intense firefights making you scared to even pop your head up for more than a second; these kind of game features are what will mimic the true combat of war. Basically the game will be more of a simulation than a standard FPS, only with all the crap parts of being a soldier (long walks/rides, doing nothing for hours, etc.) taken out and filled with a variety of realistic combat situations.

So where does the RPG element come in? You will create a character that can be a variety of classes (sniper, rifleman, automatic rifleman, spec ops etc.), but once chosen, you can’t change, because you will follow the same soldier all the way from basic training through the war. This goes for your squad as well, who will not be nameless, flat characters, but fellow soldiers that you will grow to know and (hopefully) care about. The class you choose at the beginning of training will affect what your missions are and what role you play in the war. An infantryman may be part of a large invasion force, while spec ops may go in before the main force and disrupt enemy infrastructure, while a sniper may be sent ahead of the force on recon missions, or dropped deep into enemy territory to take out essential targets (where your success or failure could affect the outcome of the war).

Another RPG element is your advancement in rank as you go through the war. You will start as a newly recruited private, but you could work your way up (depending on your position and performance) to commanding an entire squad of 12 or more soldiers.

The game will not be constructed based on levels, but rather a dynamic and pseudo-open world system where you will fight across a variety of premade maps, but your actions, victories, and losses on each will affect the course of the war. For example, say you are fighting through Israel and a building is taken down by an airstrike, you win the battle and move on to the next map in the game, but you lose the next battle, and the enemy pushes you back to the previous map, the building that was destroyed by the airstrike when you last fought here will still be destroyed. This system of a non-guaranteed and pre-scripted victory also means that the war could last for any amount of time, depending on how well the dynamic AI and you do…or how badly you do.

This persistent world also carries over to other aspects of the game, for example, if one of the squad mates you’ve come to know and like dies, he will be gone forever. If one is wounded, he will be gone for a length of time dependent on his wounds. If you use too much ammunition, you better start conserving until the next shipment gets in.

The game would revolve around completing certain objectives, much like real war, other than just defeating all enemy soldiers. These would also be dynamic and varied, depending on the situation and your role.

While the player won’t be just sitting there for hours like in real war, they won’t just be dropped in the middle of a conflict either, rather, time will skip from inactive parts to things like a patrol, raid, or advancement. This will also go the other way, meaning that in the middle of intense fights there will be an “adrenaline” button, that if pressed, the player can speed up and slow down time slightly (and movement, so it won’t be like cheating) to convey the intensity and length of engagements that real battles consist of.

Modern Conflict is not a predetermined game, one where the game designers decide who wins, who dies, who loses, and when, but where the player and his fellow soldiers decide the outcome. Even if the player fights his best, they may still lose a battle.

If the player does die, there will be bigger consequences than just respawning or reloading, but I haven’t quite figured out what, and am open to suggestions.

So, you may be asking, is this too ambitious? Yes, of course it is, but that won’t stop me, ambitious is what I do .

Let me know what you think.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 12:13
Ambitious is what you do well. Sounds good, needs some more work in the dying and dynamic parts of the idea.

The concept is good, but keep sure the balance between realism and fun isn't destroyed by your reach towards realism.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 16:25
Quote: "Sounds good, needs some more work in the dying and dynamic parts of the idea."

Thanks, could you expand more on what you think needs work with it? Obviously the dying, since I asked for suggestions . But which dynamic parts need work and do you have suggestions for them?

Quote: "The concept is good, but keep sure the balance between realism and fun isn't destroyed by your reach towards realism."

Of course . There is a fine line when dealing with realism and fun, but I feel confident I'll be able to keep a good balance, (hopefully) like with PoPR.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 18:38
awesome idea about dying: I would suggest you have a system of wounding that allows the player to get seriously hurt. So if the player is shot in a vital organ, they still have a chance to survive and be hospitalized. IE: if youre shot in the head, depending on the angle of the shot you have an x% chance that the shot is not fatal, similarly with other major organs. Of course, being shot in the head should be much more likely to kill you then being shot in the chest (a collapsed lung is quite survivable right? im not a doctor :x). Then give the player 'purple heart' medals for every time he is seriously wounded, and have a set limit (say 5) of major injuries you can recover from before being forced to a fatal injury. Of course you would still have a chance of just being outright killed in the battle, but it would give the player room to take stupid risks (like popping his head out from cover) without immediately punishing him by taking away his progress, as well as including a sort of 'dare i try to get a fifth purple heart? or will i really die this time' challenge.
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 19:37
to expand on draknir_'s idea, when you actually die i think the player should be switched to another member of the team. Like when a team member dies, he is gone forever, that should be the same for the player's character, but it allows you to not lose everything. Also it would mean you don't get your choices again, if you were a Sniper but you die and you become a paratrooper then your stuck as a paratrooper.

thanks to deathead for the sig! please Click on it!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 22:35
Quote: "awesome idea "

Thanks .

Quote: "I would suggest you have a system of wounding that allows the player to get seriously hurt. So if the player is shot in a vital organ, they still have a chance to survive and be hospitalized. IE: if youre shot in the head, depending on the angle of the shot you have an x% chance that the shot is not fatal, similarly with other major organs. Of course, being shot in the head should be much more likely to kill you then being shot in the chest (a collapsed lung is quite survivable right? im not a doctor :x). Then give the player 'purple heart' medals for every time he is seriously wounded, and have a set limit (say 5) of major injuries you can recover from before being forced to a fatal injury. Of course you would still have a chance of just being outright killed in the battle, but it would give the player room to take stupid risks (like popping his head out from cover) without immediately punishing him by taking away his progress, as well as including a sort of 'dare i try to get a fifth purple heart? or will i really die this time' challenge."

Yeah, I may implement a similar system for that, but that still doesn't answer the question as to what to do if the player does die.

Quote: "to expand on draknir_'s idea, when you actually die i think the player should be switched to another member of the team. Like when a team member dies, he is gone forever, that should be the same for the player's character, but it allows you to not lose everything. Also it would mean you don't get your choices again, if you were a Sniper but you die and you become a paratrooper then your stuck as a paratrooper."

Sorry, I don't really like this idea because it takes away from the whole fact that you are supposed to be controlling and developing one character through the game. Yes, that is a harsh enough punishment, but no, I don't want the player to control other players, I want them to control their class at the beginning and stick with it .

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 23:00
Well it may sound painful, but IMO if the player dies, keep him dead. Dont let him reload a previous savegame. Death is game over. Its been done before in roguelike RPGs, and I thought it worked quite well. It kept you in fear of the later levels and monsters and you had to plan out your every move.

In a real time FPS of course that will be alot more complex, but i think its doable. Have a squad system where an AI captain (or you, should you attain that rank) gives orders on where to go, where to lay covering fire, when to call in air support, etc.

Also, going on a tangent here, but if its going to be modern war game, you MUST have this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AC-130
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 23:23
Quote: "Well it may sound painful, but IMO if the player dies, keep him dead. Dont let him reload a previous savegame. Death is game over. Its been done before in roguelike RPGs, and I thought it worked quite well. It kept you in fear of the later levels and monsters and you had to plan out your every move. "

Don't know, that may be a bit too harsh, we'll see though .

Quote: "In a real time FPS of course that will be alot more complex, but i think its doable. Have a squad system where an AI captain (or you, should you attain that rank) gives orders on where to go, where to lay covering fire, when to call in air support, etc. "

Yeah, at first you will be following squad orders and then you will be commanding one as you move up. One thing I forgot to mention is that the game is based on teamwork, like real combat, not going out and trying to kill everyone yourself (you won't get far if you try that).

Quote: "Also, going on a tangent here, but if its going to be modern war game, you MUST have this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AC-130 "

Lol, yeah, that will probably be an air cover option, AC-130's pwn .

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 00:14 Edited at: 5th Mar 2008 00:17
Another idea for death is: have the death=game over mechanic I mentioned, but split the game into 'campaigns' or 'operations' or something similar. So the player has to make it through an entire campaign alive, but once completed, it can be used as a save point to reload from.

Thats still a huge setback, but with the near fatal injury system, should give a player more than enough opportunity to enjoy himself without frustration setting in.

I read somewhere that due to human nature, most FPS gamers don't actually focus on killing the enemy, but on their own survival. I think this game is one where you can really emphasize that.
wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
One of the things that I have always disliked about games like "Battlefield" and similar is the crazy things people do. I'm sure that I'm not the only one to think to themselves "I sure would not do that in real life".

It would be nice for a game to have penalties for doing stupid or unrealistic stuff. How you would implement that would be a bit touchy.

You could have respawn time based on how long you stay alive. The longer you live the quicker you respawn.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 02:52
Quote: "Another idea for death is: have the death=game over mechanic I mentioned, but split the game into 'campaigns' or 'operations' or something similar. So the player has to make it through an entire campaign alive, but once completed, it can be used as a save point to reload from."

Yeah, that could work, still a bit harsh, but maybe .

Quote: "One of the things that I have always disliked about games like "Battlefield" and similar is the crazy things people do. I'm sure that I'm not the only one to think to themselves "I sure would not do that in real life".

It would be nice for a game to have penalties for doing stupid or unrealistic stuff. How you would implement that would be a bit touchy.

You could have respawn time based on how long you stay alive. The longer you live the quicker you respawn."

Lol, did you read the whole thing? because that's exactly what I'm trying prevent, is the player doing unrealistic and stupid things . There is no respawning, and the realism will stop the player from being an idiot unless they die.
Quote: "You won’t be playing a random unnamed soldier, respawning every time you die"

Quote: "If the player does die, there will be bigger consequences than just respawning or reloading, but I haven’t quite figured out what, and am open to suggestions."

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 03:08
Wow, great idea.

Obviously you don't want a simple reload after death scenario. I think it's best to have the player never actually die, just get fatally wounded. So here's a couple ideas.

Paramedic: When you die, the game switches to the perspective of a medical soldier. Your mission is to now go to the point at which you are fatally wounded, get the body, and bring it to the nearest hospital.

Wakeup: The player wakes up in the hospital, the battle is either won, lost, or still going on, depending on certain factors. I'd think you'd lose stats if you have them (hp, strength, ect) or lose rank.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 03:16
Quote: "Wow, great idea."

Thanks .

Quote: "Obviously you don't want a simple reload after death scenario. I think it's best to have the player never actually die, just get fatally wounded. So here's a couple ideas.

Paramedic: When you die, the game switches to the perspective of a medical soldier. Your mission is to now go to the point at which you are fatally wounded, get the body, and bring it to the nearest hospital.

Wakeup: The player wakes up in the hospital, the battle is either won, lost, or still going on, depending on certain factors. I'd think you'd lose stats if you have them (hp, strength, ect) or lose rank.
"

Hmm...interesting ideas. I don't really like the medic one, (btw, the player can be a medic as a class, which is basically, like in real war, an infantryman who can fight but has medical training and when there are wounded, concentrates on them). The second one would be an option though that could work .

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 04:28
Thats sort of what i meant by the injury system, but I think you would start to lose realism if you could repeatedly wake up in a hospital and just have a few stats reduced.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 04:43
Quote: "Thats sort of what i meant by the injury system, but I think you would start to lose realism if you could repeatedly wake up in a hospital and just have a few stats reduced."

Yeah, hmm...it's a hard design decision. You have to balance player frustration with consequences and realism. I don't want the player to just quit if they die, lol .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 23:59
Quote: "Another idea for death is: have the death=game over mechanic I mentioned, but split the game into 'campaigns' or 'operations' or something similar. So the player has to make it through an entire campaign alive, but once completed, it can be used as a save point to reload from."

That's it. Not too harsh, but painful. Spot on balance.

Perfect. I like that. Gil, listen to draknir_.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 01:21
thanks Rami Gil: It might sound harsh on paper (erm.. computer screen) but with proper gameplay elements and emphasis on realism permanent death can work really well as a gameplay mechanic. Its a matter of keeping 'life' from being frustrating
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 03:32
Yeah, that is definitely the best suggestion so far .

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 01:53
A minor issue with the story itself that might be worth mentioning: Why have a Euro-American coalition instead of NATO? Like, what happened to NATO that made this EAC come into existence? Also, you have to neutralize the influence and raw power of Saudi Arabia and Iran... those are the two countries that genuinely rule the Middle East today. It's a tricky political situation to dodge and weave through, but naturally there are clever ways to get around all that . One dirty briefcase bomb can go off in a city and shift the entire dynamic of the middle east's political stability, so there's tons of ways to write off just about anything.

For death, I've been wrestling with concepts regarding character death myself lately. The act of simply respawning or "waking up" at a checkpoint is as overdone as anything in gaming. I toyed with the notion of having a "walk into the light" mini-game, but ditched it... maybe you can do more with that concept than I could. Like, you're naturally being pulled toward "the light," but life is off behind you somewhere (how that's represented is what killed this idea). Anyway, some sort of mini-game for death would certainly beat simply respawning, or "the walk of shame" from World of Warcraft, which was, imo, less inspired than the simple act of spawning on a flag, lol.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 23:31
Quote: "A minor issue with the story itself that might be worth mentioning: Why have a Euro-American coalition instead of NATO? Like, what happened to NATO that made this EAC come into existence? Also, you have to neutralize the influence and raw power of Saudi Arabia and Iran... those are the two countries that genuinely rule the Middle East today. It's a tricky political situation to dodge and weave through, but naturally there are clever ways to get around all that . One dirty briefcase bomb can go off in a city and shift the entire dynamic of the middle east's political stability, so there's tons of ways to write off just about anything."

Heh, I guess that's true, didn't think about NATO.

Quote: "For death, I've been wrestling with concepts regarding character death myself lately. The act of simply respawning or "waking up" at a checkpoint is as overdone as anything in gaming. I toyed with the notion of having a "walk into the light" mini-game, but ditched it... maybe you can do more with that concept than I could. Like, you're naturally being pulled toward "the light," but life is off behind you somewhere (how that's represented is what killed this idea). Anyway, some sort of mini-game for death would certainly beat simply respawning, or "the walk of shame" from World of Warcraft, which was, imo, less inspired than the simple act of spawning on a flag, lol."

Hmm...interesting ideas, but to me it seems like a mini game would interrupt the game, and just wouldn't fit right. I don't know, maybe it could be pulled off though.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 23:48
That's pretty much how I felt, and I why I inevitably scrapped it. But yeah, it's a concept worth toying with

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 07:33
"and I why I"... Keep your writing sharp, my friend. Eternal Equinox 2 requires it!

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 00:47
lol with how much I've been writing lately, it's a miracle I'm not producing more typoes .

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 03:25
typos?
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL.

Nice idea Gil. I very much like it. It'd be great if while your injured in the hospital if the battle just continues and calculates a victory or a loss and new battles start while you're injured, so when you get back to health your team may have been pushed back, or you might have advanced. It'd be cool.

Matt Rock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 05:25
Like I said, a miracle!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 07:04
Quote: "Nice idea Gil. I very much like it. It'd be great if while your injured in the hospital if the battle just continues and calculates a victory or a loss and new battles start while you're injured, so when you get back to health your team may have been pushed back, or you might have advanced. It'd be cool."

Yeah, I like that idea, I think that'd fit well with the world being persistent and dynamic .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 07:22
That was actually done before in a game, I seem to recall.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 18:35
I seem to recall coming up with that idea a few posts back.

Personally I'd avoid doing any sort of death minigames. It reminds me too much of Prey, where when you died you were in a spirit world shooting spirits to revive yourself. It just breaks the game up too much, and defeats the purpose of the consequences of death.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 21:35
Quote: "I seem to recall coming up with that idea a few posts back. "

Lol, I know, I was just reinforcing the fact that I like the idea in general .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 05:23
Just wanted to bump this and to say that this will probably become my next project after PoPR is released HOPEFULLY this summer.

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 11:02
Quote: "Why have a Euro-American coalition instead of NATO?"

There are countries in Europe that remain either independent or simply don't like NATO. "North Atlantic Treaty Organization" -- many European countries care little of the North Atlantic. And even though the meaning has been largely expanded, it's still relevant.

NATO is really just an extension of USA, in modern day times.
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 02:09
I have a few thoughts. You could make it so that the chances of you dying are not that high: it could calculate where you get hit, and then take damage accordingly. So, yes, if you're hit in the head (and your helmet's been shot off already), you're dead. But if you get hit in the chest, hopefully your kevlar should stop the bullet actually killing you. Sure, you won't be that good to fight, but you'll live. So, once you're critically wounded, perhaps you do everything slower, and maybe you're too weak to walk. So then all you have to do is fend off any enemies that threaten you (while you are paralysed from pain and blood loss, and reload slower and so on) until you get dragged off the field, then do what Agent Dink suggested:

Quote: "Nice idea Gil. I very much like it. It'd be great if while your injured in the hospital if the battle just continues and calculates a victory or a loss and new battles start while you're injured, so when you get back to health your team may have been pushed back, or you might have advanced. It'd be cool."

As for the "how long do you stay dead?" question, you could have 3 settings: Hardcore (die permanently), Medium-core (Die and you have to restart the campaign) or softcore (die and you have to restart the level). People could then play softcore to get a feel for the game, then, when they feel they're good enough, can go for hardcore for the extra risk.

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Imagine:
You are in your truck, on the way to your mission.

After a (very(as players usually hate long waits)) short briefing.

i.e. "We are on our way to a heavily guarded oilpump, we need to blow it up, secure the aa sites so our flyboys can get in and get out by helicopter."

next your screen quickly turns like tv static and fades out again. now you are in the middle of a warzone.

Where can I get the codes. I know how to build it with codes. GET IT. I HOPE U UNDERSTAND. DUHH
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2008 06:51
Quote: "Imagine:
You are in your truck, on the way to your mission.

After a (very(as players usually hate long waits)) short briefing.

i.e. "We are on our way to a heavily guarded oilpump, we need to blow it up, secure the aa sites so our flyboys can get in and get out by helicopter."

next your screen quickly turns like tv static and fades out again. now you are in the middle of a warzone.
"

Yeah, I plan for it to be quite cinematic, but with no cutscenes, a bit like CoD4, but with normal freedom during the "cutscene moments". This could make for some awesome moments in the game, like:
You are speeding down the highway in a convoy transporting supplies, riding passenger in a humvee, suddenly the humvee in front of you is engulfed in a fiery blast, disappearing from sight, everything slows down, team mates are shouting, shrapnel flies at your window, cracking it, some flying through. Your driver swerves to avoid the vehicle at the same time as the blast from the IED shockwave shoves your vehicle sideways, and you begin to roll, in slow motion, glass and shrapnel shattering around you, all you hear is the rolling of the car and shards of glass raining down around you. Your humvee finally comes to a stop upside down, you look over and your driver hangs from his seatbelt, dead, behind you your teammates groan, one undoes his seatbelt. Your vision blurs and fades in and out, you unclasp your seatbelt and fall down onto the roof of the humvee and begin to crawl out when you hear a sudden eruption of cracks ring through the air, realizing it's a full-fledged ambush.

As I described this it reminded me of the scene from Iron Man, here at :35-:55
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1605304601/
(great movie, btw)

So I think it'd be awesome to create a game that blends a cinematic-like feel with the players own experience and interaction. Best part about it all is that it'd be all unscripted and dynamic, so that it'd never been the same two times you played, as well as all seamless, so that you wouldn't have a "mission select" or levels, but instead just one open world with constant missions.

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Add music to make the player angry, happy, sad, feel like they are winning/losing.

Suggest that i change my avatar because it sucks

Where can I get the codes. I know how to build it with codes. GET IT. I HOPE U UNDERSTAND. DUHH
sp3ng
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 14:51 Edited at: 21st May 2008 14:58
i remember having an idea like this a while ago, (i like to refer to mine as more of a military simulation)

if needed i will be more than happy to help with this project.

if so just shoot me an email ( sp3ng [at] hotmail [dot] com)

EDIT: also, with the controlling one character thing, maybe you should put a profile system in or something where you have one character in each. so you can play through the different campaigns depending on what you feel like doing (being forced to do one particular role may turn off some gamers)

EDIT EDIT: things like stamina and a non-existent hud are good ideas too

Add Me
sp3ng
Years of Service
User Offline
i wonder if i killed this thread

Add Me
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2008 19:10
No, I just think he's more busy with PoPR right now.

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
sp3ng
Years of Service
User Offline
oh ok

Add Me
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 08:11
Quote: "i remember having an idea like this a while ago, (i like to refer to mine as more of a military simulation)

if needed i will be more than happy to help with this project.

if so just shoot me an email ( sp3ng [at] hotmail [dot] com)

EDIT: also, with the controlling one character thing, maybe you should put a profile system in or something where you have one character in each. so you can play through the different campaigns depending on what you feel like doing (being forced to do one particular role may turn off some gamers)

EDIT EDIT: things like stamina and a non-existent hud are good ideas too"

Ok, well I haven't really done much other than simple prototype tests for shooting so far, but I'll let you know when I get started on it more seriously . Have you ever heard of the game ArmA Combat Operations? I got it last weekend, it's the best military simulation I've played/heard of, if you like realism, you should check it out, at least the demo. You can buy it online through Atari.com now too. Yeah, I would probably not have a HUD, or if I did it would be minimal, and stamina/fatigue would be in there too.

Quote: "i wonder if i killed this thread "

Lol, nah, I've just been playing ArmA all week, lol, and PoPR is my main game anyways until I finish it.

sp3ng
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah, ive heard of ArmA (my pc cant play it though )

also, ive recently been working on various models that i'll post the obligatory screenies of here

AK47 (UV mapped, but in the process of being textured)
1395 polies (without hands)

Barrel (textured, bump mapped and specular mapped, all images 512x512)
246 polies

Add Me
sp3ng
Years of Service
User Offline
wireframes (before i get pestered for them)

Add Me
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2008 15:56
Full Spectrum Warrior is the best military simulation around. Period.

Sisco
Years of Service
User Offline
Absoulutley love the idea. I'd really love to help as I had a very similar idea for my own game.

Dark GDK and DarkBASIC Pro
sp3ng
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2008 08:51 Edited at: 27th May 2008 10:40
maybe this will turn into the new community FPS

also, one other FPS that i find really realistic is a mod for the source engine called insurgency

and the people who made ArmA also made the simulators used by my countries army

EDIT: im sure im not the first person here to come up with this but i have this example code for an entity system
it follows the convention of a class system used by many game engines for entities (without inheritance of course)

basically, there are a set of dynamic arrays linked to UDTs that are used to set the properties of each entity in a map

this is of course only a small portion of the final list of entities

but just tell me what you think

Add Me
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2008 08:08
Quote: "maybe this will turn into the new community FPS

also, one other FPS that i find really realistic is a mod for the source engine called insurgency

and the people who made ArmA also made the simulators used by my countries army

EDIT: im sure im not the first person here to come up with this but i have this example code for an entity system
it follows the convention of a class system used by many game engines for entities (without inheritance of course)

basically, there are a set of dynamic arrays linked to UDTs that are used to set the properties of each entity in a map

this is of course only a small portion of the final list of entities

but just tell me what you think"

Well I thought about making it a community project, but have decided that I think it'd be best that it's not, for several reasons. One is that I like to have complete control over my projects, which I couldn't if it was community based. Two, I've never seen a successful community project. Three, I plan on using the engine for other FPS projects as well, so I wouldn't want everyone else to already have the engine. Four, it would be difficult to coordinate different coding styles and sections of the game to bring it together. So in the end, I think it's better that I just have a smaller, manageable team to do it, if they choose. But I won't be starting to seriously work on it for a while anyways, hopefully I can finish Virtual Office by then and that can be used.

Yeah, that setup is fairly similar to what I already use for most projects .

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""For death, I've been wrestling with concepts regarding character death myself lately. The act of simply respawning or "waking up" at a checkpoint is as overdone as anything in gaming. I toyed with the notion of having a "walk into the light" mini-game, but ditched it... maybe you can do more with that concept than I could. Like, you're naturally being pulled toward "the light," but life is off behind you somewhere (how that's represented is what killed this idea). Anyway, some sort of mini-game for death would certainly beat simply respawning, or "the walk of shame" from World of Warcraft, which was, imo, less inspired than the simple act of spawning on a flag, lol.""

Prey, used this method. It was a cool idea but was pretty annoying as you wanted to complete the game and on Cherokee mode it was pretty damn annoyance as you had to shoot things down with a bow for health, after that I just lost interest.

We are the cost of a world gone wrong.
sp3ng
Years of Service
User Offline
thought i should revive this thread a bit...

it's difficult but one feature that would IMO be required to make this work effectively is creating a persistent world.

other features that I would like to see in a military FPS like this, is massive multiplayer campaigns (e.g. they could last for several hours [with the possibility of saving the session] and require massive planning and organization) and the game being heavily role-based (pretty much like VBS2) where some players could be special forces soldiers and another player could be a chopper pilot ferrying those soldiers in.

that was my original concept for the FPS i was trying to make a while ago (called Battle Tactics) so pretty much i was trying to recreate ArmA/Flashpoint/VBS (any of those)

Add Me
Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Make it futuristic, but alot unlike Tom Clancy warfighter, its hard to complete one level on it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 16:15:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 16:15:08