Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / TombStone

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 19:19 Edited at: 18th Jun 2009 14:46
Hello everyone!

Introduction

I am developing this in DBC.

This project has been in progress since Monday, Feb 23, 12:30 pm. TombStone is an adventure game involving no slashing, killing or any kind of enemy. In this game, the only objective is to think logically, solve puzzles, and search for things. This may sound boring, but the few people that have tested it found it was excellent (besides from the character).

The character is originally from "Peachy - And the chaos of the Gems", and I am using him as a test character for this game. I am not sure if I want him in my game, or if I want to make up some new character. That is a question for you all. Do you think the current player character fits to the game?

EDIT : Character has been changed to a strawberry
EDIT2 : Still looking for a good name for main character. Please give some advice!

TombStone will also only contain 3 levels, but each level will be stuffed full with puzzles, and probably take about 1-2 hours each to solve (I may be exaggerating...). The first level will be in the forest, second under the ground in a huge cave with water(pretty much a water level) and the third will be a graveyard. I will release the game when it is fully functional and finished for free.

Progress

Done
working on
need to do

Collisions
Moves
character animations
forest level
small cave
interactions level 1
Rail road run
Desert level (level 2)
Pyramid
Interactions level 2
slide
Underground water cave level (level 3)
interactions level 3
Lava level (level 4)
Interactions level 4
Graveyard level (level 5)
Interactions level 5
Storyline (I make it up as I go...)

Screenshots

Anyway, here are some latest screen shots:

Please comment!

TheComet

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!
ozmoz
Years of Service
User Offline
very nice
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 20:51
A bird :

Peachy, and the Chaos of the Gems

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 20:51
Ahhhhhhhh......... the main character looks like KIRBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PUNK IS BACK!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 22:58
Quote: "very nice "

Thanks!

Quote: "Ahhhhhhhh......... the main character looks like KIRBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

TheComet

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 02:13
Very intresting. I'd like to see some vids of it in action though, so I can give some more constructive feedback. I also think you should change the character. I can't say to what until I see how you have the character moving through the world though. He may in fact look fine in motion.

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 05:27
If you check out the peachy thread then I'M GEUSSING its the same as that movement and theres abunch of vids for that
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 12:29 Edited at: 27th Feb 2009 12:30
OK, here is a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCS3vFsYGyw

The video pretty much only shows the movement and collision -- I won't be solving any puzzles in the videos to spoil your fun!

Quote: "If you check out the peachy thread then I'M GEUSSING its the same as that movement and theres abunch of vids for that "

You guessed correctly

TheComet

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 13:23
This looks cool, so will you be working on this now, instead of peachy?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 13:58
Quote: "This looks cool, so will you be working on this now, instead of peachy?"

Thanks!

My inspiration and motivation for my Peachy game died away, which proves that I can't stick to a project for that long. A shame really, it was turning out to be quite a good game... I may pick up on it again later. So yeah, I am only focusing on this game right now. I will try and make this game short with not too much work in it so I can actually finish a project for once...

I edited my first post showing the things I have done and need to do.

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 17:09 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2009 17:12
Wahayyyy!! Level 1 is FINISHED!!!

I added a rock blocking the entrance to the cave(not telling how to remove it), the bird now gives you something to search for(not telling what...) and I added a small puzzle scattered all around the level.

It takes me 30 minutes to solve the first level, but it took my brother about 2 hours...

Level 2 in progress...

TheComet

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 17:58
Well..where's the download??

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2009 18:37
I was thinking of releasing it when I finished the 3rd level... But for those that are impatient, I could make a small demo...

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 22:31
UPDATE!

I made a new character:

And here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGrDy_7t-OM&feature=channel_page

Tell me what you think!

TheComet

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2009 16:17
I actually like that quite a bit

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
what did you use for the modeling???
this game looks sooooooo good but could you remove that writing its kinda taking up halve the screen but apart from that its perfect.

did you use any plugins??? and if so wich one's???

www.madninjas.co.nr we are mad and we are ninjas
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 22:28
Quote: "good but could you remove that writing its kinda taking up halve the screen but apart from that its perfect."

I doubt he's going to leave it there when he releases the game . It's probably there to help him find errors and stuff.

@TheComet: Looks great! I like the animations and the camera style. Good luck with this . Just one question-- what program did you model the models in?

<---Spell casting battle game!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 12:41 Edited at: 12th Apr 2009 12:42
Quote: "what did you use for the modeling???

Just one question-- what program did you model the models in?"

I used AC3D. It was REALLY hard to animate the character, because AC3D doesn't animate, so I did it all with code...

Actually, I already wrote the code in Peachy, but I changed the limb numbers to match this character and added a few new animations.

Quote: "this game looks sooooooo good but could you remove that writing its kinda taking up halve the screen but apart from that its perfect."

Thanks a lot!

As 60[] said, it's for debugging.

Quote: "did you use any plugins??? and if so wich one's???"

The only plugin I used (if it is a plugin) is Sparky's Collision DLL.

Quote: "Looks great! I like the animations and the camera style. Good luck with this "

Thank you !

TheComet

Caleb1994
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2009 23:41
Quote: "did you use any plugins??? and if so wich one's???"

as far as i know comet uses dbc. so a plugin is a dll lol

New Site! Check it out \/
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 17:27
I have 2 updates, one small one and one big one.

The small one:

I have been experimenting with the voice of my strawberry character, and a high squeaky voice seems to fit the character the best, but doesn't fit the environment...

Please comment and tell me how I can improve it

Here it is in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyqN5qcnBc&feature=channel_page

And the big one:

I pretty much finished the menu. Here are some screenshots:

TheComet

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
looks good i was the first to watch the vid yay

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2009 17:51 Edited at: 14th Apr 2009 18:40
Thanks, mike!

@ all

You can be expecting a demo by Thursday at 17:00 EST

I will meet the deadline within a 99.9% chance. The other 0.1% consist of my HD crashing... (My computer is VERY old)

TheComet

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Menu looks cool, I really like the idea behind it!

The voice sounds a lot like Yoshi... or maybe it is Yoshi sound clips? I think it works well with the character, and it shouldn't really matter if it fits the environment or not, because the character doesn't really match to begin with.

Good luck keeping to your deadline

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 11:46
Quote: "because the character doesn't really match to begin with."

Yeah, I get the feeling too... But hopefully I can change it over time...

My little sister made the voice.

Quote: "Menu looks cool, I really like the idea behind it!"

Quote: "Good luck keeping to your deadline "

Thanks!

TheComet

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2009 12:11
The menu looks really nice, I like that fog texture. Nice work!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 19:18 Edited at: 16th Apr 2009 19:25
Quote: "The menu looks really nice, I like that fog texture. Nice work!"

Thank you, zzz!

I have been having some trouble with mediafire, since I upload the files with ubuntu (I don't want my windows computer to be confickered or something like that), mediafire and firefox freeze when the files are uploading, and when they are done it works again. But now, I can't upload anything.

So it took me about 30 minutes to start up that old XP computer of mine, and finally, after 20 minutes of hassling, everything uploaded!

Zip Download : 12.55MB
RAR Download : 11.86MB

Enjoy! And PLEASE read the readme file before running the game. VERY IMPORTANT!

TheComet

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2009 19:36 Edited at: 16th Apr 2009 20:26
yea!!!!!!! thx i downloading now can't wait to play it but it looks like 0.01% triped you up lol

EDIT:its fun but just a few things bad:
you said press Y to duck but it's actualy Z to duck
its to hard to jump really high

but the rest of it is good (i edited the strawberry so he is blue lol)

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "EDIT : Character has been changed to a strawberry"

Best comment ever.

Anyway, I really liked this. The control system and camera work really well. Rather like a more laid-back version of Mario. The only problem I had from this point of view was that it is hard to position the character accurately, partly because of his inertia when stopping moving, and partly because when he changes direction he has to rotate (rather slowly) before doing so. This makes it especially hard to do back jumps - you want to move him forward to get into position, and then make him face the other way without moving, but this is impossible as he has to shuffle round in a circle.

Also, it might be handy if there were an option to rotate the camera - perhaps by holding down space and using the cursor keys, or something. The option of moving the camera behind the character just by pressing space is great but sometimes that's not quite enough.

The music and sound is great and very atmospheric. The main character is well animated, although I'm not sure about the punch - something a bit forceful might be better. Perhaps his texture could do with a bit of work too, to make it more like a real strawberry... The only other problem is that the other objects in the game are pretty blocky. Perhaps if they had better textures they might look better?

Otherwise this is looking really good. I think the game engine is very impressive and the control of the main character is great. One last thing: "comfy" is spelled like that!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2009 12:40 Edited at: 17th Apr 2009 12:41
Quote: "but it looks like 0.01% triped you up lol"

The odds are against me.

Quote: "EDIT:its fun but just a few things bad:
you said press Y to duck but it's actualy Z to duck
its to hard to jump really high"

You must have an English keyboard. On some of them the Y and Z are swapped...

Quote: "but the rest of it is good (i edited the strawberry so he is blue lol)"

Glad you enjoyed it!

**************************************************************************************

Thank you for that constructive feed back, Plotinus! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I will try and make it so when the player has stopped, you can turn him instantly.

Quote: "Also, it might be handy if there were an option to rotate the camera - perhaps by holding down space and using the cursor keys, or something. The option of moving the camera behind the character just by pressing space is great but sometimes that's not quite enough."

That's a good idea with rotating the camera. I think I will add something like the "C-buttons" like in SM64 to have more control over the camera.

Quote: "The music and sound is great and very atmospheric. The main character is well animated, although I'm not sure about the punch - something a bit forceful might be better. Perhaps his texture could do with a bit of work too, to make it more like a real strawberry... The only other problem is that the other objects in the game are pretty blocky. Perhaps if they had better textures they might look better?"

Thanks!

I was a bit lazy with the punch animation... I didn't use sine commands to smooth it and it doesn't look forceful, but I'll see what I can do.

I suck with textures.

The "blocky" objects look like that, because I can't go over 1000 polys before everything starts to slow down... DBC can't support a lot of polygons, that is my big problem. So I try to keep everything low. But I could improve on some of the steps I suppose.

Quote: "Otherwise this is looking really good. I think the game engine is very impressive and the control of the main character is great."

Thanks a lot!

Quote: "One last thing: "comfy" is spelled like that!"

Whoops, I will have to correct that... Thanks again!

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 21:13
OK, just so this thread doesn't get locked, I will post a quick comment to say that progression hasn't stopped, it is just stuck.

As you can see in my sig, I am working on a waypoint editor, which I will release for free this coming summer for everyone to use. I am working on the waypoint plug-in, because I need a ton of waypoints in the next level of TombStone.

As to the progression, level 2 has been planned and half way designed, and I have began modeling it. The story-line is still nowhere, and I will re-texture level 1 to fit the character's style.

If anyone thinks that any of my plans are not to their likings, please comment!

TheComet

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 21:29
Quote: "so this thread doesn't get locked"

I thought they disabled auto-lock?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2009 22:06
They did? I never knew that...

Can a moderator or someone with some facts confirm that?

TheComet

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 05:04
Wow this looks great! Why do all of the awesome RPG type games get made in DBC... It plays nicely too, reminds me of Soul Hunter. I tried to solve the puzzle but it was too hard to triple jump . I got to the third letter then fell all the way back down so I quit out lol. But nice game, I love the animation . That shaking the strawberry thing gave me trouble at first, but I got it!

<-- Spell based team dueling game!
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 13:01 Edited at: 1st Jun 2009 13:06
It's good to hear that you are still working on this game. I tried the demo a few weeks ago but at that time, didn't get around to posting comments, so I will do that now.

I tried the game on two different computers, with XP and with Vista and I had the same problems on both: 1. the camera movement periodically got jerky, so I was compelled to press the "center camera" button all the time to smooth it out, and 2. often I got ugly whole-screen white flashes, mainly in the menu, but I think sometimes in the game as well. Maybe it is just not compatible with my graphics cards or it's an inherent problem in DirectX and DBC, I'm not saying it's an issue with the game itself, but it was disturbing.

Comments to the game play: I also found the lack of camera rotation annoying, especially when I wanted to look up above my head, to see where to jump to. In the training level, it is not really possible to practice the long jump in such a small confined area, maybe you can make that bigger. There should be a possibility for instant turn around, because I could only turn in a half-circle, which is bad when you are standing on a small platform and turn for the next jump. Like the previous poster, I tried a few times to get to the top of the jumps and then gave up. With a bit better controls and less jerky visuals, it would be much more pleasant to play.

On a positive note: I liked the basic idea, I liked the main character and its lovely voice, and also the simple but nice graphics. I also liked the tombstone menu, but I found it slow to operate.

Saving the game did not work for me, is that implemented at all? When I finally managed, at about the 20th try, to shake the strawberry off, I wanted to save the game but the next time I restarted, even if I selected load game, it started from the beginning again and I had to shake it off from the bush again. By the way, you should make that shaking off a bit easier because it's next to impossible. Especially on a laptop, the keys simply don't react that fast to do a complete big circle.

Keep up the good work, this will be a lovely game when it's finished.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 14:34
Quote: "reminds me of Soul Hunter"

Quote: "I tried to solve the puzzle but it was too hard to triple jump"

Yeah, I will have to make the gravity less... Then it will be easier.

Quote: "But nice game, I love the animation "

Thank you!

Quote: "That shaking the strawberry thing gave me trouble at first, but I got it!"

I'll probably take that out again, that was a bit weird... Glad you could do it, though!

@ Mireben

Thanks a lot for that constructive feedback!

I'm not sure what is causing the flashing, can you give me some specs? Vista does have problems with running DBC executables, mainly because of some administration settings or folders that don't exist, but also because Microsoft did something weird with DirectX 10.

Quote: "Comments to the game play: I also found the lack of camera rotation annoying, especially when I wanted to look up above my head, to see where to jump to. In the training level, it is not really possible to practice the long jump in such a small confined area, maybe you can make that bigger. There should be a possibility for instant turn around, because I could only turn in a half-circle, which is bad when you are standing on a small platform and turn for the next jump. Like the previous poster, I tried a few times to get to the top of the jumps and then gave up. With a bit better controls and less jerky visuals, it would be much more pleasant to play."

Thanks for all of those things you mentioned, they will surely be fixed in the next demo.

Quote: "On a positive note: I liked the basic idea, I liked the main character and its lovely voice, and also the simple but nice graphics. I also liked the tombstone menu, but I found it slow to operate."

Thanks a lot! What in particular was too slow in the menu?

Quote: "Saving the game did not work for me, is that implemented at all? When I finally managed, at about the 20th try, to shake the strawberry off, I wanted to save the game but the next time I restarted, even if I selected load game, it started from the beginning again and I had to shake it off from the bush again. By the way, you should make that shaking off a bit easier because it's next to impossible. Especially on a laptop, the keys simply don't react that fast to do a complete big circle."

Yeah, I just noticed what is wrong with the saving. It does save, but every time you load a file, it will start with the swinging and training, and after you completed that it will load the stage you have saved last.

As I said above, I will probably remove the swinging, because that was weird...

Thanks everyone for the feedback and testing!

TheComet

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 20:18 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2009 08:20
I downloaded and started the game again to give you accurate info.

The white flashing is still there. In the menu, at the bush and in the trial level, the screen flashes every 5 seconds. When the first big level starts, it gets a bit better but it still flashes about every 20 seconds or so. The computer has an Nvidia 9700 GT video card and Vista, but I had the same issue on an ATI card (I think 9500 but I'm not sure) with XP as well. Otherwise both are rather powerful laptops, so it cannot be a question of speed. The FPS was 47-49.

In the menu, what is strange is that, although the stones with "file 1, file 2, file 3" labels are right next to the stone with the main menu, the camera makes a complete circular turn-around before fixing on the other stone. In my opinion this is superfluous and makes the menu slow in going from one option to the next. I think just sliding sideways would be enough.

Actually, I liked the idea of starting the game with getting the strawberry off the bush, it was just a bit too difficult. Strange though, this time I did it in a few seconds only, instead of minutes a few weeks ago... Not to discourage players, it would be good to lessen the required diameter of the circle, or if you want to remove that task altogether, maybe make an intro video out of the scene?

(--Edited next morning to remove some silly sentences.--)
Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 21:26 Edited at: 1st Jun 2009 21:28
hey, this reminds me of good old jump'n'runs like mario 64 or zelda
very nice
I also loved the minigame at the beginning!
I think a stomp-move (jump, then duck) would be nice

edit:
btw the menu is lovely! but i think that the camera doesnt need to spin 360° when you go to the next tomb-stone

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I liked having to swing him off the plant at the start (although I found it difficult).

Tolkien said somewhere in the preface to The Lord of the Rings that people wrote to him saying they liked this bit or didn't like that bit, and every bit that someone hated, someone else said they especially loved. This is a general rule with all such projects. The answer: make it how you want it to be. But I think you already know that.
I predict DOOM
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG
btw hiyas every1 im new here and this is the 1st thing i lookd at ana gotta say this is juice stuff man this is awezum!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 13:48 Edited at: 18th Jun 2009 21:06
Quote: "Tolkien said somewhere in the preface to The Lord of the Rings that people wrote to him saying they liked this bit or didn't like that bit, and every bit that someone hated, someone else said they especially loved. This is a general rule with all such projects. The answer: make it how you want it to be. But I think you already know that. "

Very wise words, thanks for that!

Quote: "OMG
btw hiyas every1 im new here and this is the 1st thing i lookd at ana gotta say this is juice stuff man this is awezum! "

Welcome to the forums! And thanks!

Updates

-Cartoon textures applied

I have re-textured all of the levels with more faded and brighter textures. I think it looks much better then the ones before, because the character fits to its environment.

-Level 1 final touch

Level 1 is now much easier to solve, there are more steps and the letters are not hard to find.

-Gamepad plug-in

This is a major update. It took me a lot of brain power and time to complete this. You can now configure your own controls. It supports all keyboard keys, all mouse buttons, and any joystick or gamepad.

The joystick plug-in supports up to 32 different buttons, x,y,z axis joysticks, x,y,z axis twists, slides a,b,c and d, and 4 different hats.

Also, you can mix the keyboard with the mouse and the gamepads. So if you want to jump with mouseclick, punch with a key, and duck with a button on your gamepad, you can do that.

-Waypoint plug-in

My waypoint plug-in is 60% complete. I estimate another 2 months before I can release it, so be patient, everyone!

-camera

I added "C-buttons" to give the player more control over the camera.

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 23:48
Here's a small pic of the cartoon textures:

TheComet

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks VERY good!

Also, reading the previous post, it's nice that you made so much progress. This is one of the WIP games I would really like to see finished.
I predict DOOM
Years of Service
User Offline
ya this reely looks bettr and bettr...the cartoon stuff rocks but u gotta change the 2d trees cuz they dont match the cartoony look

Hay

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 11:37:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 11:37:35