Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Car battle game so-far...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 21:30 Edited at: 26th May 2009 01:44
This is my latest progress for my Automobile battle game that is a semi-clone of the old Autoduel game. I developed car grouping to individually set the car color and added wheels, lights, chrome bumpers, and transparent glass, and shiny body. I am trying to work out how to create something that will include multiple cities connected by roads, looking at doing it with multiple landscapes. I hope to keep setup times to a mininum or avoid pauses during game play as your character moves around.

Has anyone come up with a paging system for a large world in Dark Basic? That hides or unloads segments of your world that is out of range and loads in new segments as you approach them? The game I am looking to make does require something like that to be worked out.

You probably can see I starting working on the popup window system that comes up at the start of the game to create your character and first car. Different windows popup during the game when you drive up to certain buildings. Buy, Sell, Pickup, Drop off, Enter competitions, etc.

This game probably be a good part of a year to make before its functional and will be a work in progress. I hope to find co-programmers, models, coders, to help improve the game. It does have a many little things that it has to do. Suggestions on the forum is a big help. I am using DarkGame Studio & Dark Basic Pro. I have not determined which add-on packs would really help with this game.

OK Here are some screenshots.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 21:38
you should post some screenshots.

Come see the WIP!

PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 22:04
Yeah I know I should, I have not had a whole lot of time to do those little things. But I think posting the program with what I got so far shows what I am doing.
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 22:58
I have a feeling most people are not going to download anything without seeing some screenshots. It only takes about 2 minutes to take a couple shots, upload and post.

PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 23:20 Edited at: 25th May 2009 23:24
I need to find a free host for screenshots that won't go down if bandwidth is exceeded. I had a Yahoo GeoCities, but they have discontinued their free service and think web1000 went out also.
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 23:30
Use my friend's host: ImageSL Currently hosting >8000 images, and doesn't delete them.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 00:04 Edited at: 26th May 2009 00:20
image(s) missing line 478(479):
Load Image "ButtonSH.bmp", ImgButtonDark
Load Image "ButtonHL.bmp", ImgButtonHover

the rest of the media used, per source code, appears present.

edit: actually, it looks like you're loading the images then elsewhere generating them internally...

also, scanning through the code, all this does, so far, is load media and show menus? (unless you have more code than what you included in the zip here)

and:
Quote: "posting the program with what I got so far shows what I am doing"

doesn't cut it. you could have uploaded screenshots with any of your subsequent posts. and, hopefully, not the 2 mb bitmaps like in one of your previous 2 WIP threads for this...

PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 01:21 Edited at: 26th May 2009 01:44
I got the photobucket account setup and now I can show whats going on. I added in the missing files and re-uploaded the files. So far I am doing initial media load test and basic 3D world setup to see how the scenery looks.

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 02:13
it looks pretty good.

Come see the WIP!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 04:37
Looks nice, the sky could be a more natural lighter blue color though

<-- Spell based team dueling game!
PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2009 17:22
Thankyou. As the forum states, The game design is a work-in-progress. I am looking for alternatives and suggestions and that sky may be a temporary stand in until something better gets developed. I see in one of the upgrade packs, they have a real time sky algorithm.

AutoWarriors could end up being a MMORPG or a very big RPG or both. It does have all the elements for one, may go with "AutoWarriors Online". I may do a mid development variant with just the in stadium competitions. Sometimes these things are a team effort and so far your suggestions have been helpful. There are many things I have to work out on how to do them and see how they work out.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 02:44:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 02:44:57