Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / **The Offical Fenix Mod Manual & Guide**

Author
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 18:14 Edited at: 11th Feb 2010 13:01
Hi,

I know a lot of people have been asking for this and so after a chat with HockeyKid I've drawn up the beginnings of the Fenix Mod Manual. HockeyKid and I feel it's best to run a separate thread for the manual to keep the main thread free for bug reports and nice comments.

So, that said, I'll be running and maintaining the manual for the time being so please address any issues you have with it to this thread and only this thread.

The manual is a living document, I.E. It will grow as Fenix Mod does. To date it outlines all of the scripting actions and conditions featured in the soon to be released V1.1. This includes the following:

Fenix Mod.
Horror Mod.
XR Mod.
RPG Mod.
AirMod.

I'm currently looking for contributions of sample scripts and tutorials for all of the commands, I will be adding some of my own but there are lot of new commands and if it's left to me you could be waiting several years for them all to be covered

So, the offical version is attached as a .rar folder, this includes the manual pdf and the necessary files for running RPG mod.

Enjoy and we hope that this will be useful to all Fenix Mod users.

Latest update February 11th 2010

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 18:22
Big thanks, Scene Commander! This mod is fantastic!
Canalyst makes good use of it. Especially because of the performance boost.
Now I can learn even more about the mod.

Best,
TheK

ambideXter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 19:04
As a beginner, with limited experience with scripting, i must say this is a great idea and work, will make it much easier to work with the mod, 1 source of info is also much better (of course) then scraping bits of info from across the web.
Also, focusing on one mod maybe "do-able", however since most mods have other mods intergrated in them it probably makes it much more clear exactly what features are in it, what commands etc (for instance since i knew Fenix like most/all mods have Airmod in it, i thought i check the airmod site, wich was good since Errant AI's weapons can use an update for Airmod, THUS also for Fenix.
HIGHLY APPRECIATED. I remember when i came here first at the forum a lot of questions from beginners could be answered with 'read the (FPSC) manuall". So i dit. Now i can read one for Fenix, before bombarding the forum.
Thanks a million!

If You Can Make It Then I Can Break It!
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Now I can learn even more about the mod."

Quote: "Now i can read one for Fenix, before bombarding the forum."

Thanks guys, well as the manual stands it simply includes a list of the available scripting commands and new gunspecs listed by mod. Later versions will included scripting examples, ideally I'd like to include samples for almost all commands.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 19:50
Thanks, this will come handy

Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 21:03
Good Readme but knxrb has asked me to tell you this :

About the screenblocks in the readme :

Quote: "The latest version of HM makes screenblocks easier to place cause now you can just place an entity to give it a script then a block is made the same size as the entity with the entity rotation.
"

http://image.fps-files.com/images/42SIG.jpg[/img]
Vista, Amd Athlon 7750 (64 bit + Dual Core), ATI Readon HD 4870 1gb Edition, 4gb Ram.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 21:22 Edited at: 19th Jan 2010 21:48
Quote: "About the screenblocks in the readme :"

Thanks Bigsnake, I've updated the manual.
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2010 22:11
No problem Scene Commander

http://image.fps-files.com/images/42SIG.jpg[/img]
Vista, Amd Athlon 7750 (64 bit + Dual Core), ATI Readon HD 4870 1gb Edition, 4gb Ram.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Just wanted you to know I removed Fenix Mod's flashlight commands and changed Horror Mods flashlight commands. Instead of flashlight=x now I have flashlighton and flashlightoff

Blind Digger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2010 06:41
Thanks Scene Commander

Makes things easer.

Stephen
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2010 12:37 Edited at: 24th Jan 2010 13:18
Updated download in first post.

As before any problems please post in this thread and not the main Fenix Mod thread.

Enjoy.

*EDIT* re-uploaded file to include Bloom commands.
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2010 13:42 Edited at: 24th Jan 2010 13:43
Where are the bloom commands because I can't find them in the new document?
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2010 13:47 Edited at: 24th Jan 2010 13:48
Quote: "Where are the bloom commands because I can't find them in the new document? "

On the 4th page, I've just checked and the version uploaded is correct.
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
I still can't find it. On my 4th to 5th page it just has Dark AI commands and the introduction to Horror Mod.
PS What is the Horror Mod tracer for the gun?
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Try redownloading it, maybe the update hadn't taken effect. It all seems fine to me. Bloom commands listed below.

BLOOM
bloom = x where x=1 for bloom on and x=0 for bloom off.
bloompower = x sets the power of bloom, this may be a decimal .
bloomscale = x sets the scale of bloom, this may be a decimal.
Experiment with the scale and power of bloom to get the best results.

Quote: "PS What is the Horror Mod tracer for the gun? "

The tracer is a new gun spec command.

usetracer=x is x=1 then the gun will use horror mods tracers
if x=0 then the gun will not use the horror mod tracers – This command is currently WIP!
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
What does the tracer do? (sorry if I worded my first question a bit wrongly).
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
tracers show the path of the bullet, but my understanding is that it isn't that accurate. Try adding the usetracer command to the gun spec a weapon to try it out.
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh right. How can I enable water and bloom in my game using the water=x and bloom=x commands?
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "BLOOM
bloom = x where x=1 for bloom on and x=0 for bloom off.
bloompower = x sets the power of bloom, this may be a decimal .
bloomscale = x sets the scale of bloom, this may be a decimal.
Experiment with the scale and power of bloom to get the best results."

I have to admit I'm having issues with the water myself but I haven't received any instructions for it from HokeyKid, when I do I'll update the manual with clearer instructions.
TerrorNation
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok. Where do I put these commands to enable them?
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2010 10:48 Edited at: 25th Jan 2010 13:55
You'll need to add this code to a trigger zone or a dynamic entity

To end bloom use the following in trigger zone or a dynamic entity.

Quote: "How can I enable water"

The manual was correct regarding these commands, however what I didn't realise is that because of programming issues HockeyKid has removed the water code, He's re-writing it and it will reappear in a later version. I'll update the manual to reflect this. In addition I'm adding some example to the manual today, I hopefully should have a new version up today.

*EDIT* New version on line with a few examples added. I'm still looking for many more code examples showing the strength of individual commands. I'm especially keen to receive examples of RPG mod code as these are I think the hardest to understand but almost certainly the most powerful in terms of adding depth to a game.
zeza
Years of Service
User Offline
I would, but I can't seem to get any of the commands to work. I know you have to add some rpg_setup.fpi, but even after I edited the example one, nothing worked.

Hope This Helps
Help bugs!
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm trying to create the fpi script but no matter how i put it it says "cannot create file"

I tried using the example script but it doesn't work....none do

could someone just post a made script as a download to turn bloom on and off? That would be really greatly appreciated

FPSC + user = BUGS!!!!!
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 09:08 Edited at: 27th Jan 2010 09:11
Quote: "I know you have to add some rpg_setup.fpi, but even after I edited the example one, nothing worked."

If the setup files are not created properly they will crash the test program immediately. They are loaded right from the start and you not even see any progress in the progress bar at all.

One of the most common mistakes (and I do this way too often myself and I should know better) is not having the correct number indicated for an array list. For example see the code snippet:

You will notice that there are three additions to this list. However, if you indicate only two as shown below - it will crash:

:rpg_start_playerinputlist:rpg_numberplayerinput=2

Notice also the complexity of a playerinput list. It's not as complex as it could be but yet it is complex. However, it is also very powerful so that you can indicate if the player inputs a correct answer.

-----------------------------------------------
OliveTreeGames
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 19:29 Edited at: 27th Jan 2010 19:30
@Flatlander.

If you have any scripts that you feel would help users understand the RPG element of Fenix Mod a little better I think it would be very helpful. As I said, I can really see huge potential of RPG mod and would like to promote this side of Fenix mod a lot more in the guide.

If you do have anything you feel might be useful please feel free to email me.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 20:04
I will put this on my list of things to do. I'm afraid for the moment it is of lower priority. Nothing personal.

OliveTreeGames
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 20:52 Edited at: 27th Jan 2010 20:53
Quote: "I will put this on my list of things to do. I'm afraid for the moment it is of lower priority. Nothing personal."

I understand completely.. I wish I had more time too! No rush and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
zeza
Years of Service
User Offline
@Flatlander, my real problem is none of the commands work. I have uncommented certain lines in the example setup file (the inventory setup was not one of them) and it wouldn't crash, but no commands would work either.

Hope This Helps
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 23:09
@zeza, I'm confused, are these run-time crashes or compiler crashes. Are you talking about rpg_ commands or other Fenix commands? Ya need to be more specific.

OliveTreeGames
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Flatlander, my real problem is none of the commands work. I have uncommented certain lines in the example setup file (the inventory setup was not one of them) and it wouldn't crash, but no commands would work either."

Quote: "@zeza, I'm confused, are these run-time crashes or compiler crashes. Are you talking about rpg_ commands or other Fenix commands? Ya need to be more specific."

@zeza I'm confused a little too. Could you please post your script for me to see. This could just be a scripting error.
zeza
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure sorry about that, I am having no crashes whatsoever, my only problem is that all rpg mod commands won't work. I set it up to display variables, I check to see if variables were working by displaying a hud if a variable equals one, I test out different commands (player speed, footfall, mute jump sound), and nothing worked.

Hope This Helps
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Could I please see one of your scripts and I'll see if I can help.. Also, which version of Fenix Mod are you using?
Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 23:34
Hey, I have a problem.

I can't get the flashlight to work at all; I use the right scripts, but it doesn't work.

Any help on this?

"And we played the first thing that came to our heads...Just so happened to be... the best song in the world...

it was the best song in the world..."
DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 23:37
Shadow, have you tried hitting "F" in-game to trigger the flashlight on?

Also Scene I wanted to thank you for t his, 'tis has helped me out plenty on my current project using Fenix

[img][/img]
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Which script are you using? HockeyKid removed the original Fenix Mod flashlight and altered the commands for the Horror Mod flashlight.

Could you please post the script for me to look at.
Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 23:45
@Cyclone

I think I did, I will try again.

@Scene Commander

Here you go:

"And we played the first thing that came to our heads...Just so happened to be... the best song in the world...

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 23:50
Ah theres your problem. Your using the old commands.

Try the one I use.

[img][/img]
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 23:51 Edited at: 27th Jan 2010 23:55
*Opps Cyclone beat me to it*

Quote: "Also Scene I wanted to thank you for t his, 'tis has helped me out plenty on my current project using Fenix"

You're welcome.. Glad it's useful. Also nice script - would you mind if I added it to the manual as an example?

@Shadowtroid

Change flashlight=1 to flashlighton and all should be well.. You'll need to change the script if you want to activate it with a keypress.
DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2010 00:07
Quote: "*Opps Cyclone beat me to it*"

Here to help

Quote: "would you mind if I added it to the manual as an example?"

Go for it. Yet I did not make the script, I'm pretty sure it came in the latest fenix download. So don't credit me for it.

[img][/img]
Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2010 00:07
Still not working...

I put it as the main script in a trigger zone, changed it to flashlighton, and I still get nothing.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Go for it. Yet I did not make the script, I'm pretty sure it came in the latest fenix download. So don't credit me for it."

Thanks, I didn't see it in my version but you could be right.

Quote: "Still not working..."

Try the script Cyclone posted. Add it to a dynamic entity, set it to always active and you'll need to press "F" to activate in game.
DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2010 00:11 Edited at: 28th Jan 2010 00:12
mmmm you have plrwithinzone on. Are you walking into the zone you put flashlighton as the main? If not I recommend removing the plrwithinzone command.

EDIT: Yeah just do what Scene said lol.

[img][/img]
The Fps Creator rocks!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2010 00:44 Edited at: 28th Jan 2010 00:45
In 3rd person, I need an enemy to shoot the player and you lose health. Is it possible?

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In 3rd person, I need an enemy to shoot the player and you lose health. Is it possible?"

I have to admit I haven't tried the 3rd person side of the mod, but my understanding is that the 3rd person view works just like the 1st person view. I.E. You should lose health when shoot at.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2010 00:59
Quote: "I set it up to display variables"

Fenix has its own variable system and RPG has its own. You won't need huds to display rpg variables. The display is actually more for debugging but you could allow the player to use it as well. I'm sure you're not using the setup and commands correctly. I'll try to get with SC about a more clear publication for rpg mod. I'm afraid it is very complex but, it is doable.

OliveTreeGames
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Fenix has its own variable system and RPG has its own"

Maybe I should have been clear about that

Quote: "I'll try to get with SC about a more clear publication for rpg mod"

That would be good, but as I say, no rush you sound busy.
zeza
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure Scene Commander i'm using 1.1

Hope This Helps
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sure Scene Commander i'm using 1.1"

I'm not really sure what you're asking here? Does your script not work then?
zeza
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, no rpg mod commands work for me. And on the first page you asked
Quote: "Could I please see one of your scripts and I'll see if I can help.. Also, which version of Fenix Mod are you using?"

Hope This Helps
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2010 01:34 Edited at: 30th Jan 2010 02:03
Quote: "Yeah, no rpg mod commands work for me. And on the first page you asked "

I'm sorry I'd forgotten, I did offer and will look at your code but can't promise a solution..

Could I just say, that even though I'd forgotten, and did offer, it would have been nice to hear something like "Would you please look at my code...'.. This forum is becoming very impolite. Sorry if that sounds old fashioned but it is how I feel.

*EDIT*

I've read your code and I have to says I'm a little confused.Why have comboequal=1 this is the first kill so why bother and then you set a entitytimer for 1 second? What are you trying to do with this, maybe if I had an idea of what you wanted to achieved I might be able to help a little more.

I would like to say to everyone now that while I'm happy to help I'm not running this thread as a free coding service, but merely to support HockeyKid's great work on Fenix mod. If anyone else would like to offer coding advice please jump in..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 10:54:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 10:54:47