Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / WIP : Automated Enviorment Mapping

Author
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2010 18:36 Edited at: 8th Jun 2010 16:19
Automated Enviorment Mapping - a DOSP aka S3GE - Core Plugin.

Before Aem:

After Aem

as soon as image shack will work again i will upload more
Before AEM and After AEM pictures.

Update : 07/06/2010 -
First demo released Version 0.1, scroll down to the end
to find out what its all about or click below
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=169730&b=22&msg=2027986#m2027986

AEM 0.1b fix:
the Inside Help Commands are now copied to a text file outside AEM.
'X' button for swaping channels / colors are now fixed and works properly. had to fix it again.

AEM 0.1a Download -> https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2010434

Aem is a 2D Drawing Algorithem that lets everyone of us programmers to create or generate high detail textures from the range of a pistol to a huge terrain data.

it works on a single face of a single object with the option to "conitue" on the next adjacent face giving you a seamless texture .

so what is the diffrence from other texture editors or creators?
well , here you work directly on the mesh so you actually paint on it a "brush" or Stamp , or an Image file loaded into memory.

KeyFeatures:

Paint using brushes on Objects using UV Faces.
Random Paiting using brushes on Objects using UV faces.
Automate Uv Faces for external edit like Photoshop or Gimp.
Automate Normal Mapping after Texturing.
Automate Model Placment like Grass/ Bushes / Trees
Automate Regions Placment such as Light / Sound Fx (grass,dirt etc)

actually this will make a programmer who wants to Rapid Prototype a current Level or Map or just an Area within a Level or a Map to "feel" hows it going to look at the end.

Best KeyFeature : its free to use, Lets show those Artists ,what a Cpu can do

Installation Notes:
the DirectX.dll file inside Aem01b folder , is the latest, if it dosent work, you may have to install the latest DirectX, not the SDK just DirectX.

Nadav "Haliop" Rosenberg.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Freedom Fighters
Years of Service
User Offline
impressive, i like it. it gives so much more detail. when can i expect a demo?

Problem Solution That Never Fails: "Build A Bridge And Get Over It"
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2010 11:03
i do not know.
what i have now is just a demonstaration of the whole procces.
it will look good if youre building a top down shooter (that was my aim a year ago but i decided to build a 3D FPS same idea just FPS Style).

i still need to create brushes and normal mapping and model placement which i started yesterday.
hi about foliage or grass and bushes models , do you have an opinion on how to do them? i just created a single long and sharp triangle which i can probably later on can put a fur render on top of it , but is ther any other way?
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
So if I understand correctly, You paint colors on a image. Then run AEM and it separates the colors into something like chanels, and then overlaps them with textures? And about the foilage, what I would love to see is that you paint in 2D areas where foilage can grow ( and ofc each colors has its own foilage ) and that when you run it trough AEM it randomly adds foilage to the areas where you painted? Because that would make my life so much easyer xD.

Well, good luck and I hope you really make something out of this. Because I could really ( really really ) use a free tool like this xD

Isocadia

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2010 13:59
Isocadia that was exactly my thought about it.
altough this tool not only will let you do this stuff on a terrain but also on the foliage it self, just take the foliage faces and do it so you can have several bushes which are the same model but with a bit of diffrent textures ideas for each one.

so you can think of it as a total UV and Mesh texturing tool that takes a sec to fill.
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG, that's just to awesome. Can't wait to see it ready!!!

Isocadia

PS: THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU for making this free, if you finish it

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2010 20:00
i will try my best!
i just need to know how do i select Tiles inside a Terrain like a Matrix, on the other hand , there is really no need since there are the 2D top view way which can do it , just need to get the math correct and again , it shouldnot be too much of a problem. with that said i have no idea when this will be released.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 21:54 Edited at: 7th May 2010 21:56
From the description AEM functions similar to Texture Max. Thus, would applicable to textures for other game models, ie: character clothing.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2010 23:23 Edited at: 7th May 2010 23:26
firsst time im hearing about Texture Max , but yes something like that with the abilites to do small to large scale texturing without really needing the external programs altough would probably be smoother and sharper using them.

i really need to get full time on this!
i think i have some directX learning to do , Hassan if you read this i might need some help

downloading TextureMax demo right now , see what its all about.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2010 23:40
ok i just saw the demo , the full version probably have much better features , the demo just changes color.
so you pick a color and change it , its nice.

my idea of it is to take a color or a channel if you will
and to randomly transform it using brushes or stamps which will give it :
1. a unique look over duplicated models
2. high detail texture "feel" so you see all kind of noise inside it
where noise are the brushes you created or random brushes.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Random Brushes , now thats something you dont see every day! YEY

3. do it fast!
4. do it a bit faster.
5. you have an entire map buildings and characters and objects or whatever is 3D wether its foliage or a post office i dont care , AEM - Automated Enviorment Mapping
will do the following:
1. Color it, Recolor it, Random Oparation , Random Stamp it, Random Texture it.
2. Build a Normal Map on top of it and save it as a new image so you can edit manualy and use it on diffrent Normal Shaders

so you finished your map? you colored your regions?
just press enter , and AEM again Automated Enviorment Mapping.
you press Enter , and in some time from key pressed , you have a fully textured Map from the beggining to the end.

also it will include Light Mapping or volume so it would really look good.

and yes i do understand what im going after , its a huge project really huge, and i really want to do it, after this is done or atleast in its alpha stages, the ordinary joe can come in Dgdk and we wont lose him so fast , if he will have free tools like this , he would be able to build stuff really fast really good

and its Fulcrum
and i saw a PathFinder 1.2 somewhere here
and Evolve Shaders
and Hassan share a great deal with DirectX
and its IanM working on Bug fixes.
and finnaly you got AEM

now lets take the simpliest of the simpliest of all of these
find some 3D models and you have a game in about 2 - 4 months which is "very good " for that period of time.

if we can get this forum to the size of DarkBasic Pro it would be awesome, more ppl , better motivation for all of us , better helpers , better ideas , better everything. and last and very not least , a lot more beta testers who can actually help you program fixes rather then say "hi that dosent look so good".

why am i always soo touchy? well nvm.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2010 23:44
btw i forgot darkForm which takes you again to a faster level of developing.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 00:06
If AEM could combine Fulcrum Physics and BlitzTerrain to create lightmaps then we would have an awesome tool, its alot of work though.
PhysX has commands to retrieve UV co-ordinates when raycasting but I don't really know how it works, is this what you would need?

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2010 01:42
that could help , if you mean:

camera angle do a raycast to lets say Terrain and it gets me the Face or Triangle Number of that Object UV data, then yes absolutly awesome!

for now i still dont know how to approach the whole technical stuff but i do have in mind what i want it to do, so i need to learn.
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2010 08:29
Quote: "i think i have some directX learning to do , Hassan if you read this i might need some help "

any time, but dont except much, im not an expert

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 8th May 2010 10:25
cool tnx man.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 10th May 2010 14:22
ok after some thinking, there is no way to run.
realising i have no idea what im doing , im starting today , learning DirectX 9 - 10 - 11 .

i do not know where to start so im just jumping to the Texture Section see what i can get from that.
the idea is , to devide the Terrain or any Object into Faces which can later on be used as a UV map, then applying AEM on them with the usage of the entire object , meaning the texture wont repeat itself as one but as a seamless texture.

again i have no idea what im doing , need to study.
expect updates soon.
nadav.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 12th May 2010 22:01
hi all , i have decided that before i'll jump into directX that for me is extremly hard to understand ,damn i dont even understand Win Api... i dont even know what a Dword is..

so , i have started cruising the Forums and converted some code maid by Van B, van ty so much.

here you can paint directly on a 3D object

and i already have the seamless texture working.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 19th May 2010 11:59
yo yo yo.
after some time not working on Aem.
i am returning to that today, but first , its ocean time.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 17:16 Edited at: 1st Jun 2010 17:16
News:
after getting some assitance well alot actually from TechLord.
im turning to the first design of AEM, MegaTextures using ClipMapping instead of MipMapping.

what this gives us?
a Texture that weight the size of lets say about 256 MB which is MEGA Large Texture for one terrain with smooth fps and loads up about 45 MB on the Video Card Ram, so most GPU and Systems will be able to run it , what this gives AEM?
it gives it the ability to not use Alpha Blending / Multi Textures / Texture Blending which takes more of the GPU while still maintaining a high resulotion like you cannot belive.

this tech is used by id tech 4 and 5 for the game rage that you might know.

this method can be implented on Models and not only Terrains which makes them with HigeResulotions like any High Tech Engine.

i admit it was super hard till now , just today i have found about Mega Texturing and i will try and boost up a demo that gives you the ability to
1. paint RGB colors on a Terrain
2. push AEM to manipulate those colors and creating a rich enviorment textures
3. not promising but potentialy using Mega Textures, however i still do not know too much about it , so in this demo some users might suffer very low FPS and in some cases it may not work.
but once i'll get the hang of it even the lowest spec GPU card will be able to do it .

look , i know its taking too much time to create Aem but i gave you my word and it will be complete but after i found how much math is inside it and the lack of Commands DarkBasic Pro have that GDK dosenot have a refrence for and the Refrence Doc being not very much helpfull and Directx is really hard, i will achive this goal for my sake and yours.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 22:49
Quote: "ook , i know its taking too much time to create Aem but i gave you my word and it will be complete but after i found how much math is inside it and the lack of Commands DarkBasic Pro have that GDK dosenot have a refrence for and the Refrence Doc being not very much helpfull and Directx is really hard, i will achive this goal for my sake and yours."

Take as much time as required. As there is no readily available solution in DGDK, it will take time to R & D. Folks will just need to be patient.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jun 2010 14:23 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2010 14:24
Creating a BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
before demo release.

just a bit more , here are 3 pictures of current progress.
all user painting happens in real-time.
Top View , good for painting large areas.

and a first person prespective to see it from the right angle
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jun 2010 10:59
Aem Interactive Demo ver 0.1

so , here we go as promised a demo that you can use to try out Automated Enviorment Mapping or Mapper.
the demo includes: 10 channels that you can draw , each channel is a diffrent RGB color but only channel 1 and channel 4 will calculate and draw Stamps.

Not included in this demo :
3d Model Placement , not done yet.
NormalMapping, not done yet.

Look Below for Attached File.
and pls post some pictures of the results and for fun.

i will repeat now what i said before, this Plug-in Designed for Top Down Shooters will work on any 3D or 2D application and on any 3D object you will assign it to.
more , the plug - in will be free of charge not source code but free, you will be able to do whatever you want with it and it is a tribute to DarkGDK and The Game Creator Forum members for helping me understand the mechanic behind it therefor achiving some amazing tasks.

so i say Thank you.
post your pictures and lets see who can create the better texture using only 2 active channels and 5 stamps.

How will it work on a full scale?
well , since we are talking about Stamps a good way to achive a high detail Texture using AEM is to actually improve your 2D art skill by drawing rich of detail stamps or ask an Artist to create those stamps for you.
however , there is even a simplier way of doing it , go out side and take pictures of the land you desire , rubbles, grass , leafs, mud , sand.. cut it on a 128x128 (current version abilities.) scale and make sure to make it as a stamp , so if you picture a leaf Crop in your favorite Art program (gimp , photoshop) the exact leaf and color an Alpha Channel Around it , save it inside AEM01 Directory inside Stamps in the name of Grass1.png or Grass2.png. turn on AEM01 and see it in Action.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jun 2010 21:41
first post updated. added one picture from the Buzz Buzz Buzz post.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jun 2010 22:32
updated again with recent photos.
give it a try and post your pictures lets see some paintings.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2010 23:38
I will try this out as soon as I get a chance, I've just been really busy.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jun 2010 14:14
new fix 0.1b, sorry for not being super proffesional.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jun 2010 12:22
new pictures about channel switching

Before AEM - coloring pure RGB on the terrain.

After AEM

now lets switch the channels/colors

Before AEM - Switching the channels

lets run AEM again to see what happens:
After AEM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 17:21:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 17:21:34