Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Open source Cut-Scene creator [Take-1]

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 12:53 Edited at: 16th Mar 2011 19:14

Source Code
Download Source and compiled executable!

Google Code
Project Page

Idea
To create a cut scene maker which allows you to load and use your own assets, set up animation sequences and save a video of the scene. Also in the editor will be an Edit Studio where you can add effects and transitions like you would in windows movie maker but with a few extra tools.

I'll be making this tool anyway for one of my WIP's so my question is "Who's interested?"

This may constitute a team request but as I'll be making it open source anyway I'm thinking that'll be OK...? If anyone wants to help they can post their code and I'll add it if I think it works.

The editor will use a lot of plugins which will limit who can help but I'll post exe's on a regular basis too:
Enhanced Animations - Will be used in the "Actor Editor"
DarkAI - Will be used to direct the actors
DarkCLOUDS - For realistic skies [EDIT-removed]
Dark Voices - For talking characters
Advanced lighting - By EVOLVED for shadows etc
D3D - For the menus
Matrix Utility - DoI really need to explain why?

...maybe a few more but you get the idea.

I want to be able to set up cameras, lighting, weather,... everything!

Stage 1
I want to be able to:-
Load objects
Create and save "Actors"
Keyframe animation of characters
Place cameras
Place lighting
Record a simple scene

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 17:26
Pretty cool, I tried something similar a while ago but the project died a bit (Here). Hope this goes well

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 20:15
Nice one blobby 101! That's pretty much what I had in mind.

I'll be starting work on this over the next few days. I just wondered how much interest there might be, since I'm doing it anyway I thought "why not make it open to everyone?"...

SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 20:49 Edited at: 14th Mar 2011 02:02
Im interested! Seems like a great idea, I would help but I lack some plug-ins listed. Could I be a beta tester instead??

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 23:21 Edited at: 14th Mar 2011 03:16

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I made a temporary icon/banner for the project. I hope you like it.

edit:
heres a slightly better one:

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 11:05
@Commico Inc, thanks for the interest!

Anyone can Beta test but I think Alpha is going to be more like it... I'll be posting a working exe and all source and media as I go.

I'd like to add in a few of the FPSC characters and models too but that will only be possible in the compiled version as otherwise I would be distributing actual models.

I'll be starting this now so I'll try to put some source up very soon! Starting simple of course...

BillR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 13:41 Edited at: 14th Mar 2011 13:53
I'm Interested!
I look forward to trying it out.
I have all the add-ons except for DarkClouds, maybe that one can be rem'd out easily, or
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 14:27
Quote: "I'm Interested!
I look forward to trying it out.
I have all the add-ons except for DarkClouds, maybe that one can be rem'd out easily"

Thanks for the interest. I'm all but decided to use the skies from Advanced Lighting now anyway. They aren't bad, plus it works nicely with all the lighting, motion blur, normal mapping etc.

The main downside is that it runs really slow on my machine and on my work PC the water shader is a bit screwy (I'll try it at home)...

Whilst in edit mode though I will switch it all off and have a switch to preview effects.

So far I have an Actor loading, named and textured. Next I'll be adding a normal map (that's why I'm looking at evolved's shaders) and then stripping out animation using Enhanced Animation. Code post is imminent...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 17:04 Edited at: 14th Mar 2011 17:05
First Upload
I've put in a few hours work and you can have the first upload of code (and a compiled exe) from HERE

I'm struggling to get the advanced lighting sky to work. It works fine in the demo but I've messed something up somewhere.

I've had a play and it looks pretty good, we'll have; motion blur, depth of field, bloom and various other effects to play with eventually. So far I'm only using free plugins and shaders too!

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 17:43
@Commico Inc, hope you don't mind but I took your idea and put my own twist on it for the logo. Thanks for helping!

SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 00:13
I don't mind at all, yours looks 10x better any way

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 00:29
Looking pretty cool so far, It'd be awesome for something like this to get finished so if you want some help (probably media wise of something, i'm not the world's greatest programmer ) I'd be happy to help

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm pretty good at Dark AI, so I can lend a hand.

Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 02:32
Great idea baxslash!

Quote: "D3D - For the menus"

I would recommend that you use the windows GUI instead of using D3D plugin for the GUI. BBB GUI is really good plugin and easy to use. Makes for a more professional program look I think .

I have all the plugins listed. but since I am working on other programs. I don't think I will be able to help out right now, but in the future I might be able to.
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 02:37 Edited at: 15th Mar 2011 02:47
It might be a good idea to start a google code page.

Edit:
Nvm, I got board and made one
http://code.google.com/p/take1/

I put the lisence as gnu gpl v3
I hope that's ok, ill change it if u guys want me to.
To be honest I don't have any idea about what these lisences mean. :/

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 12:02 Edited at: 15th Mar 2011 15:06
Quote: "Looking pretty cool so far, It'd be awesome for something like this to get finished so if you want some help (probably media wise of something, i'm not the world's greatest programmer ) I'd be happy to help "

Thanks! Just post anything you would like to add and I'll try it out

Quote: "I'm pretty good at Dark AI, so I can lend a hand."

Thanks again! I used it a few times and have a rough idea but you're help would be very much appreciated. Also as a knowledgable FPSC user I'd like your input on being able to load and use FPSC assets once you've told the editor your install location?

Quote: "I would recommend that you use the windows GUI instead of using D3D plugin for the GUI. BBB GUI is really good plugin and easy to use. Makes for a more professional program look I think"

I was considering that especially as it's free but I've already set up a fairly simple interface. I'm willing to change it if someone can show me how to impliment it into my code? I haven't used BBBGUI yet. Anyway here's a screenshot of the current interface so you can make your own minds up:

Quote: "It might be a good idea to start a google code page.

Edit:
Nvm, I got board and made one
http://code.google.com/p/take1/
I put the lisence as gnu gpl v3
I hope that's ok, ill change it if u guys want me to.
To be honest I don't have any idea about what these lisences mean. :/"

Thanks for being the first to help out here fella, I'll check out the link. (EDIT: Checked it out, could you add me "admin@grot-software.com" as owner? Great idea and the lisence is fine!)

Attachments

SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2011 23:52
Added

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Also as a knowledgable FPSC user I'd like your input on being able to load and use FPSC assets once you've told the editor your install location?"

Your wording of this sentence was slightly confusing. Could you possibly re-word it for me?

SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 06:30
He wants to know how to find fpsc assets from knowing the install directory. (Correct. Me if im wrong baxslash)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 10:28
Quote: "Added"

Thanks commico, I'll add the code and downloads ASAP.

Quote: "Your wording of this sentence was slightly confusing. Could you possibly re-word it for me?"

Commico is right, I was asking for your help in loading assets from FPSC. Do you think it would be useful? Have you any ideas?

I could figure it out myself but anyone willing to help can do.

Anyway, I've gotten a bit carried away with the Advanced lighting part of this and it's detracting somewhat from getting the practical problems solved so I'm remmming the AL stuff out while I get some other work done. First stripping out the character animations.

So I'll be starting with Enhanced Animations and a simple interface for saving character animations. Then I'm going to add the keyframe interface to the main menu so we can try saving animation sequences and re-playing them.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 10:46
Sorry for the double post but I've now uploaded the source and media to Google Code:

Project Page

Thanks again to @Commico inc for setting this up!!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 17:13
I now have the actor editor for stripping animations out from loaded objects to be used when animating the characters using EA. It saves a stripped dbo object, a texture file (if the object has been manually textured) and any saved animations in a file named after the Actor name provided by the user.

I've also added object loading and I'm working on object positioning/rotating/scaling it should then be possible to add in any objects not loaded with your 'world' scene. I figured it would be better to have this before getting keyframing sorted as it might be nice to have proper scene making available.

Next I'll be making it possible to re-load actors and their animations, then keyframing...

Jmahmood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 18:42
Definitely a good start.I once tried to make something like this.Both in DBC and DBP.Had to ditch the project due to lack of manpower and marketing value.I see you are making it opensource.Thus,you don't have to worry about those.

Anyways,Here's the forum thread about my attempt-http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=132257&b=8

Please don't laugh at the crappy interface.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 19:04 Edited at: 16th Mar 2011 19:07
Quote: "Please don't laugh at the crappy interface."

Hard to laugh at something that works, looks OK too. Mine looks better than it works...

Nice job. Looks like you got a lot done!

If you feel like helping then don't be shy. Don't even bother to ask just write some code and post it.

Just been getting some actors sorted so I have enough to make a simple scene! Next I'll try loading them but I have to sort out how keyframing will work. I have some good ideas but haven't tried any of them yet.

EDIT: Here's how it's currently looking!

Attachments

Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 19:39 Edited at: 16th Mar 2011 19:41
Man... I am surprised that 2 people started cut scene makers. sad to see them not finished.

Quote: "I was considering that especially as it's free but I've already set up a fairly simple interface. I'm willing to change it if someone can show me how to impliment it into my code? I haven't used BBBGUI yet. Anyway here's a screenshot of the current interface so you can make your own minds up:"

Right now I am working on a "Windows forums designer" (Rainbow as in Blue GUI) for BBB GUI. So that will help you out to export the code needed to create your GUI. A picture is attached of what it will look like.

As for a future idea it would be nice to use Dark Physics or Newton Physics for the cut scenes. This could be added in the future since there is so much to work on at the moment.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 19:53
I'll seriously consider BBB once I've had a look at it. I like the idea of a windows interface. Keep me up to date on the forms designer? Does the drop down menu work like BlueGUI?

I'm already planning using physics later. I'll be making it possible to drive vehicles around the map and smash through other physics objects etc. I haven't fully decided on the physics system but I'm trying one out for another project that might fit the bill. Ideally it would be a free plugin.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Commico is right, I was asking for your help in loading assets from FPSC. Do you think it would be useful? Have you any ideas?"

FPSC assets should be loaded just like any other model with your system. You could make it easier for people that are loading FPSC assets by parsing the entity's .fpe file to find things like texture, rotation etc.

SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2011 00:02 Edited at: 17th Mar 2011 10:37
updated the google code page with a little more info and setup the logo

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2011 10:18
Quote: "FPSC assets should be loaded just like any other model with your system. You could make it easier for people that are loading FPSC assets by parsing the entity's .fpe file to find things like texture, rotation etc."

Thanks @hockeykid! I'll take a look at the fpe files when I get the chance. I thought it would be nice to be able to browse through the library of existing assets without having to load an object, then load its textures. I was hoping to automatically import the whole library including animation sequences for characters but it's all just ideas at the moment!

Quote: "updated the google code page with a little more info and changed setup the logo"

Cool, I'll take a look!

Jmahmood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2011 16:48 Edited at: 17th Mar 2011 16:52
, I haven't touched DBP since that project.However,I will try to give you a hand with recording the scene.

EDIT: I used this plugin in my project to record scenes.It exports AVI movies- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=75027&b=5
Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2011 18:39
Quote: "Keep me up to date on the forms designer?"

Sure no problem. Before I release it I am waiting a few updates to the BBB GUI plugin to fix some bugs first.

Quote: "Does the drop down menu work like BlueGUI"

Yes it supports everything that BlueGUI has.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2011 18:43
@Jmahmood, thanks for the help! That's the plugin I was planning to use. The only problem I have so far is after a while it stops recording, I think there's some kind of memory limit. I don't suppose you found a solution to this?

@Admiral MH, great news. I'll definitely use this project as a 'test project' for BBB Gui in that case.

Jmahmood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2011 18:47
Sorry but I didn't face that problem while using it.You should email the author about this.

BTW,My software also exported image sequences.If you want I can give you the code for that.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2011 19:01
Quote: "BTW,My software also exported image sequences.If you want I can give you the code for that."

Great, post it I'll use it

Jmahmood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2011 17:17 Edited at: 18th Mar 2011 17:18
Here it goes.Put this into the loop.

(F#) is the frame number which will have to change every loop.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2011 17:23
I am awaiting this one

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2011 17:24
Quote: "Here it goes.Put this into the loop."

Great, thanks @Jmahmood! I figured it would be something like that but it's nice to have an actual contribution!!

I'll be uploading a newer version soon with full Actor creation. Actor loading into the scene is next but maybe after I've added BBB Gui...

Jmahmood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2011 17:53
You're welcome!
I will try to give you more code as soon as my exams finish.Right now I'm on a pretty tight schedule here.
Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2011 21:48 Edited at: 18th Mar 2011 21:49
Quote: "Actor loading into the scene is next but maybe after I've added BBB Gui..."

Do you need the forms designer now? If you do then I might release a beta version for you soon. (though some features not added/finished yet)
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2011 23:14 Edited at: 18th Mar 2011 23:16
I took the .FPE file parser code from FPSC (which is allowed) and through it into a function, this is of course if you decide to add "ease-of-use" for FPSC assets.

To have it search for something such as the "texture" field you would add

Between the two
`

`
Marks in the ParseActorFPE() function.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2011 00:06
Quote: "Do you need the forms designer now? If you do then I might release a beta version for you soon. (though some features not added/finished yet) "

That would be great but I'm happy just getting used to the commands if it isn't ready.

Quote: "I took the .FPE file parser code from FPSC (which is allowed) and through it into a function, this is of course if you decide to add "ease-of-use" for FPSC assets."

Fantastic! Thank you so much for this I'll add it in ASAP!!!

Nice to have so much active encouragement

Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2011 20:14 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2011 20:15
Quote: "That would be great but I'm happy just getting used to the commands if it isn't ready."

Well I was planning releasing a beta for you, but since in one of his recent updates fixed a bug I was waiting for, I'll be able to release the full version soon.

Quote: "DarkCLOUDS - For realistic skies [EDIT-removed]"

Why did you remove that? I think it would be nice to have DarkCLOUDS for cut scenes. Was there some bug the reason why you had to remove it?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2011 21:30
Quote: "Well I was planning releasing a beta for you, but since in one of his recent updates fixed a bug I was waiting for, I'll be able to release the full version soon."

Great news! I'll wait for the full release then.

Quote: "Why did you remove that? I think it would be nice to have DarkCLOUDS for cut scenes. Was there some bug the reason why you had to remove it?"

No bugs, just was going to use the skies from Advanced Lighting. I may have already changed my mind though. I do like the idea of using it for some cool timelapse scenes. Maybe I'll use both

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2011 15:29
Admiral MH, how do you add menus using your editor?

Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2011 19:49 Edited at: 28th Mar 2011 19:50
Quote: "There is still much more planned for this program such as...

Selecting windows controls by mouse.
Snap to grid feature.
Other window controls like menus,toolbars,ect...
And much more!"

I plan for menus to be done by next update. If you are ready to add menus now, here is some code on how you would add your menu.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 16:54
UPDATE!
I'm doing some major changes to the menus to include BBB at the moment. I'll be making some preliminary movies for my game using sketchup and then upgrade to the movies I'll make using Take-1 later just so I can get on with it a little...

Take-2 will be the 2D editing suite to make changes / add effects as a subsidiary part of this program.

I'll upload an updated version once I have the menus the way I'd like!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 17:42
Quote: "I'll upload an updated version once I have the menus the way I'd like!"

Great, baxslash! Cant wait! This is a great project. Keep it up.

SLAYER RULES! YEAH, MAN!!
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 17:45
Yes, it is great !

Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 19:00
Sounds good! If you have a problem with BBB GUI, just ask and hopefully I should be able to help.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 19:13
Quote: "Great, baxslash! Cant wait! This is a great project. Keep it up."

Thanks fella! Only just started though really. I have got some great ideas that I know will work well including smooth / direct transitions between camera positions... tonnes of other ideas I've worked out how to code in my head already (90% confident!)

Quote: "If you have a problem with BBB GUI, just ask and hopefully I should be able to help."

I most likely will do thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:38:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:38:47