Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Programming Talk / VB / VB.net - [Download Attached] Using VB.NET and Wordpress for Application Log-In

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2012 18:50
I set out yesterday to find a way to create a secure log in system for my applications. I found a solution that is so simple hours later it made me *face palm* myself.

It logs into a wordpress install then checks to see if it logged in successfully. I decided to go with wordpress because there are many plugins for wordpress that allow you to set up paid membership sites.

The vb project attached is using wordpress to authenticate login in it's simplest form. You can change and adapted this to how ever you like. It gives you the basic jest of how to accomplish it though.

In order to use this sample the way it is setup now, you need wordpress installed on your computer. It can be changed to use any wordpress install on the web as well.

If you need any help, further explanation or if you have any other ideas to expand on this. Please share.

Sometime today I will be making a cleaner version along with a complete tutroial from installing wordpress on your computer to coding the vb log in app .

Enjoy!

And Here Is A Penguin:
FPSC OneSource [DeskTop App] - Bringing everything together into one.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 14th Mar 2012 21:00
Would be nice to see this for DBPro...

by the way are you using a PHP page to parse data or communicating directly with the database?

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2012 21:07
Well you could package any application in a manner where you could use something similar to this vb app.

Nope, not connectiong or checking the database directly in any way with the app. It merely logs into a wordpress site the shows a message box when successfully logged in.

It is actually quite elementary. Download it and have a look for yourself. You should be able to figure out what is is doing.

And Here Is A Penguin:
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2012 21:14
well yeah... but I am not using VB so figured I would like to avoid reading alien code lol, no disrespect meant but just want to keep my head clear... and only read the code i will be learning... my brain works that way sometimes...

but yeah cool... so you are able to parse a feedback message?

thats interesting...

I may considerimplementing paypal and i use it often and gc is a bit... well you know...

yeah about your other post in the original thread

I will be looking at php more and also MySQL in the same book just as soon as i master a bit of html and css and Javascript

I intend to create secure web infracstructures before i proceed... i estimate a good 2-3 months before i have something substantial setup

I would gladly contribute to fellow TGC Devs as yourself too

So give me a bit of time and i should have grasped some PHP and MySQL and securities included... [SSL Security Keys etc]

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2012 21:29
Quote: "so you are able to parse a feedback message?"

Well you know that when I subscriber logs into a wordpress blog it send them directly to their profile page.
So this logs in, then if it directs to the wp-admin/profile.php it returns "Successful Log In!" in a message box. But the message box can be replaced with the rest of the application you were securing with the log in form in the first place.

I've got a couple more hours, then I will have a chance to record a tutorial on getting this set up.

And Here Is A Penguin:
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2012 21:54
Sweet looking forward to it

if you want to host the video privately instead of youtube let me know

I think once i get the gist of html I will start an internal video hosting service... as so to keep things off those pesky public domain sites like yt and the like...

I just dislike the feeling of having almost zero control over my content

I can host DivX web video at the moment but I am looking at html video embedding... to make away with the divx player however I will still encode using divx it can keep a 1GB files quality and reduce by almost 90% [depending on length not size]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 18:40:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 18:40:44