Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / does anyone know what twunk_32.exe is for?

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 4th May 2013 14:31
An acquaintance was having problems with his aging XP PC this week and I tried to Help. Everything seemed fine except for programs related to the Internet such as IE and Outlook Express which all seemed incredibly slow. Out of curiosity I checked Task Manager and noticed numerous copies of twunk_32.exe running. Anyone know what that program was doing? It seems to be a Windows system file but could also be an infected version of it (quite possible because his machine has been attacked this week and we might not have completely dealt with that yet).

One of the symptoms of the problems he was having was that multiple copies of IE would be launched whenever we tried to open it.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2013 15:15
According to a Google search it's part of the 'thunking layer' used for legacy applications (16/32-bit). Apart from that I don't really know much about it, and I don't know if I've ever noticed it running on my computer.

Have you run any virus scans yet?

If you are unsure what a particular area will do then please consult the Assistance Table at the bottom of this page.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2013 20:00
I'm not sure. He said he had - but after other things came to light I'm not so sure. He's not very clued up unfortunately.

We can't download anything till we sort out the Internet issue - Chrome won't work either. He didn't know his security key so I couldn't log on to his Internet with my laptop. We did manage to back up all his documents on to an external drive which was something.

Part of my problem when I looked at his system was that I had trouble locating standard Windows features - not sure whether it was because I'd already forgotten where everything is in XP or whether it was his particular setup. Took me an age just to find Control Panel. I ran out of time soon after that.

[Off-topic] Are your posts being moderated? There was a strange delay before your post appeared.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2013 00:10 Edited at: 5th May 2013 00:11
My only encounter with this executable was in the 90s on Windows 98. I remember in the olden days this had to be installed to use flatbed scanner drivers; amongst other things. What on earth is it doing running on that PC? I have an XP PC that I have used virtually everyday for over a decade and have NEVER seen it in my XP process list.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2013 01:01
Interesting. It's present on my Vista and W7 machines as well - in the Windows folder. Howver, it wasn't present in either of the Process lists when I checked today. I wonder what would happen if it and its sibling twunk_16.exe were simply deleted ... ?
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2013 01:45
If you can I'd suggest putting some installers for various AV programs on a USB key, and give them each a chance to scan. XP is a pretty stable system, so to me it seems likely that either a virus or some third party application is causing problems. I once had a problem where middle-clicking caused the system to crash, and I traced it to ZoneAlarm.

After doing some more searching it seems twunk is related to twain (not the person), so maybe it's related to some scanner software. Why that would open multiple copies of an internet browser I have no idea.

Quote: "[Off-topic] Are your posts being moderated? There was a strange delay before your post appeared."

Yes, something went wrong on this thread and I ended up being put on post approval for some reason.

If you are unsure what a particular area will do then please consult the Assistance Table at the bottom of this page.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2013 03:16 Edited at: 5th May 2013 03:25
It allows 16 and 32 bit programs (such as old versions of office and modern applications) to interact. Seems to be associated mostly with older scanners so if you have one attached it may be the cause of it running.

It appears it can also be a backdoor trojan or keylogger.

It depends on where its located, it should be in the windows folder if its in windows/system or windows/system32 folders it seems to be the consensus that its a virus.
If its starting up itself without you opening the software associated with it its also likely to be iffy.

Try merely disabling it in startup, if it continues to start up when booting then run a virus scan, since its such an old comp your probably best going for a clean OS install.

I don't trip over...I do random gravity checks.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2013 11:55
Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote: "since its such an old comp your probably best going for a clean OS install."

I was hoping to avoid that option - but it may come to that. That was one reason we backed up all his documents.

Quote: "It depends on where its located, it should be in the windows folder if its in windows/system or windows/system32 folders it seems to be the consensus that its a virus."

That's the next thing I'm going to check. I wanted to check the list of programs that run at startup as I had a similar problem recently and managed to delete the offending program manually (and followed it with a registry clean and AV scan). I was hoping to do the same in this case but couldn't locate the relevant bit of Administrative Tools on his machine . With luck I'll do better next time. Sometimes it pays to come armed with a simple pen and paper list of things to check.

Quote: "Seems to be associated mostly with older scanners so if you have one attached it may be the cause of it running."

Yes, that seems to be the consensus from a Google search. That's another thing to go on the list.

The annoying thing is that till this is sorted out I can't communicate with him by email - and phone calls are useless because he's extremely deaf. Otherwise we would probably have had this sorted by now.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I wanted to check the list of programs that run at startup as I had a similar problem recently and managed to delete the offending program manually (and followed it with a registry clean and AV scan). I was hoping to do the same in this case but couldn't locate the relevant bit of Administrative Tools on his machine"

Run > MSCONFIG.

I don't trip over...I do random gravity checks.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2013 22:22
Added to pen and paper list. Thanks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:02:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:02:27