Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Old School

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 00:47 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 00:03

The return of...Old School!!

If you didn't see the last thread, you can view it here
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=68158&b=8

I didn't give a very good description of Old School last time, so I'll give it another try.

Old School is a semi 2D-3D platformer, which features multiple baddy robots, and plenty of 2D classic platforming action. It also however, features many gameplay elements really only found in fully 3D platformers, so it ends up with a fairly unique feel.

Old School has plenty of moves the character (Kreg) can pull off, from diving through the air to smashing stuff with a hammer. What’s more; Old School does this with only four keys. It also has an intuitive camera system, which gives you a good view of the area while also letting you jump all over the screen.

As to why it's called old school, well it's a side scroller and for the most part the graphics are 2d. That's all. It doen't matter that most of it isn't old school at all, I just though old school was an absolutly awesome name.
oh yes, and the story will be nintendo old school with a twist, so the game will waver between a deep plot, and the poorly desquised exuses of the platformers of past generations.

Anyways, here are some of the new and improved screenshots.
Edit: these shots are deteted because they are out of date. Check the later pages for updates.

You'll find the rest of the screenshots here...
http://www.bizargames.com/Screenshots/tabid/493/Default.aspx

EDIT:
OLD SCHOOL BETA ENGINE 2!!

It's here! Hooray!!! I was afraid that I wouldn't make it until next month when I got back to my normal comp yesterday, but as you can see, it's here.

The controls are in the readme file, and if you want to check the framerate press the spacebar. It should be much faster, but I can't be sure, as I'm not entirely done with optimizing it.

Download from...
My site,
or This registration free link.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 00:57
this looks awesome. you have a way of making it look very professional. good job!

common people are walking in line.
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 00:58 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2006 00:59
w00t! Old School resurrected...the completion of Block Verse...Bizar Guy, you're on a roll! Now if you'd finish my little project, I'd nearly die with joy.

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 01:21
I'm glad you're doing this in 3D-space so that it runs fast and stuff is actually filtered. Even Game Maker's crappy graphics engine does 2D better than DBPro.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1GB DDR-SDRAM (May increase to 2GB one day)
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 03:55 Edited at: 6th Mar 2006 04:52
Edit: thanks open_fozz! sorry for not responding earlier, but your post just finaly got through the mod screening.

@Flindiana Jones, Check your e-mail , or I've got a date, so yeh, I'll be done with those soon.

@FoxBlitzz, heh, I've actually never even learned how to do 2d, and I'm using dbc. And the sudo 2D-3D really makes the game feel really cool.

DOWNLOAD Beta Engine
Alright, I've decided to release a Beta version of the engine, to get some feedback and so people can get an idea of just what I'm trying to explain... 'cause I sure don’t know. Click the download button or go to the download section of my site to get it.

As far as my downloads go, this one's pretty small, just over 5megs.

Controls
up key- jump
down key- crouch/if in the air and moving fast then dive/swing hammer
left key- run left
right key- run right
control key- switch the current item you're using, if you've collected that item.

This beta is NOT optimized, so don't expect it to run at a full 50fps unless you have a pretty good computer. That being said, please post the fps you get playing it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 18:41
WOW!!! That was really fun!

I hearby label this as the best platformer in DB

really insteresting mix of 3D and 2D providing for some cool camera work that is impossible in 2D!

I couldn't get over to the little yellow fluffy things though...

"We make the worst games in the universe..."
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 18:43
Wahey! I'd forgotten about this! Downloading now!

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 19:20
Finally a demo!
Wow it was A.W.E.S.O.M.E!
The camera movement was really nice, and I agree with Peter_, this IS the best platformer in DB!

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 22:32
Quote: "don't expect it to run at a full 50fps"

To be really honest, I don't know why some people make their games run at 50 FPS. I mean, there isn't really a monitor out there that I know of which can go below 60 hz. Maybe in Europe though, but I could only imagine how that low refresh rate could burn the eyes right out of your sockets!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
512MB ATI Radeon X1800 Series - Finally! A card that does pixel shaders correctly!
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2006 23:31
I got 17-23 Fps, on my GeForce FX 5200, 1.5 gig processor, 512 ram system running XP Pro.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 00:28
Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure this is the best platformer in db, but thanks anyways!

Quote: "I couldn't get over to the little yellow fluffy things though... "

Ah, you need to get a running start, and then jump up into the air. When you reach the height of your jump, press the down key as well as continue to hold down the directional key and Kreg will dive across the gap to the other side.

Quote: "To be really honest, I don't know why some people make their games run at 50 FPS"

Well you see when I started building the engine, I originally had it set to run at 60, but as time went on, I found that the game ran at a better pace on 50. Not wanting to have to optimize the game so it would push an extra 10 fps on all machines, I decided to keep it at 50 which think if fine for the game.

Quote: "I got 17-23 Fps, on my GeForce FX 5200, 1.5 gig processor, 512 ram system running XP Pro."

Like I said, it’s not optimized at all yet, so don't worry about that when I release actual demos and then later a finished game.

I've designed three more enemies, which I'll soon make textures of and put into the game. I'm planning on having a total of ten different enemy types.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 12:57 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2006 12:57
Sorry for the double post, just finished a good chunk of the menu, so here's a screen from it.

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 21:22
Quote: "Well you see when I started building the engine, I originally had it set to run at 60, but as time went on, I found that the game ran at a better pace on 50. Not wanting to have to optimize the game so it would push an extra 10 fps on all machines, I decided to keep it at 50 which think if fine for the game."

Maybe I'm just being completely stupid here, but surely it'd make more sense to use sync rate 0, and then use timer-based movement?

That way it would run the same speed (movement wise) on every computer, but max-out as much as possible fps wise.

Quote: "Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 22:10
Nice menu Bizar Guy! Are you planning on adding something more to it?

That timer-stuff sounds interesting David R, can I find a tutorial on it somewhere? (Too lazy to search the forum right now)

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 22:27 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2006 22:27
Um, not sure of tutorials, but here's an example:

Its as simply as that. You can mold it to suit certain situations, for instance, in my game WormHole, it only collects an FPS if it higher than the previous value, to stop extremely fast movement at the beginning of the game (because screen fps() returns 0 until it 'warms up')

Anyway, that's OT. Sorry

Quote: "Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 23:07
I don't think it's a good idea to use screen fps() for timing because it only updates once a second. Also, timer() starts to lose accuracy as you leave your computer up and running longer.

For me, the DarkSide White Rabbit DLL works pretty well for this job. Not sure if it's for DBC though.

Oh yes, and I get 49-50 FPS on the demo, so no worries here (Then again, my video card is quite new).

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2006 23:12
Quote: "I don't think it's a good idea to use screen fps() for timing because it only updates once a second. Also, timer() starts to lose accuracy as you leave your computer up and running longer."

As long as you check the validity of the screen fps you retrieve, screen fps() works perfectly well once-per-seconds. And it doesn't involve timer() what-so-ever

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2006 01:20
Quote: "Maybe I'm just being completely stupid here, but surely it'd make more sense to use sync rate 0, and then use timer-based movement?"

True, I will probably switch to timers when I optimize, But at this point I'm still using sync.

Quote: "Nice menu Bizar Guy! Are you planning on adding something more to it?"

Oh, there's quite a bit more to the menu already, that's just the first screen to pop up. There will be plenty more, and it looks pretty cool in action. I don't think I could make much smoother ttransitions between menus.

Well, I've finished my enemy designs, so I'll post those once I've got them in the game. When they're all completed, I'll post an enemy chart, showing all the enemies from the most basic robots to the dreaded spike tanks.

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2006 02:02
Heh, you must be crazy to think that screen fps() updates enough that it can be used as a timing system. In a 3D game, if you were to have a performance dip, then whee, the pace of your game gets all messed up. And speaking of such, your timing system in your WormHole game is incredibly screwed up. In the video, it runs slowly, then suddently jumps to double speed for absolutely no reason.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2006 02:39
Awesome Bizar Guy!

My specs:
Pentium4 3.6 Ghz
nVidia 6800GT 256 MB
1 GB Ram

I run at 30 FPS

Nobody can hear you scream ... you're on a forum!
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2006 03:22
Heh heh, I feel foolishly proud of my 50 FPS.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2006 03:50
You run at 50 FPS with these *cough*bad*cough* specs?

Nobody can hear you scream ... you're on a forum!
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2006 04:40
Dude, ATI isn't as slow as you think it is. The world doesn't revolve around nVidia, you know. It just seems that way because they endorse game after game after game, which I really hate.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
just back from a hard days work hehe if even... anyway the game is lookn sweet, keep her going ^-^

*downloads beta engine* 2 minutes later:

19 FPS, cool game, will keep an eye on this one

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2006 13:45 Edited at: 4th Mar 2006 13:46
Quote: "True, I will probably switch to timers when I optimize, But at this point I'm still using sync."

Ok, cool. Didn't realise that's what you meant by optimization Very nice looking game you've got here too - when I get a chance, I'll definately have a go it; when I played BlockVerse it was very fresh and inspiring to me, so this is sure to be same - good work

However, I recommend you get timers and stuff in soon rather than later,; let's just say that in my previous game, they had quite a few 'teething' problems that set it back quite a bit.

Quote: "your timing system in your WormHole game is incredibly screwed up. In the video, it runs slowly, then suddently jumps to double speed for absolutely no reason."

One word for you: Fraps. Initially, the game slowed to a halt, because fraps had started; and when it did this, it kicked the fps right down to about 1. Once it recovered however, it worked ok.

I'm not trying to have an argument here by the way. I realise what your saying about screen fps(), but personally, I think that in most cases it is fully adequate to drive a game. Also, how do you implement timer-based movement? Just want to know; since I can at least learn a better method if there is one out there.

FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2006 04:41
timer() is basically an alternative to screen fps() when it comes to finding out the time taken to run each game loop. It updates each frame, so that, for example, when you get a hitch, it will increase the pace fast enough for that frame but not impact the speed of the game after the hitch.

Quote: "Initially, the game slowed to a halt, because fraps had started; and when it did this, it kicked the fps right down to about 1. Once it recovered however, it worked ok."

Actually, I'd think that the hitch made by Fraps would make the game run super fast and then slow down to normal speed. Maybe you made a silly mistake in your coding or something. I'm not entirely sure about that one.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 01:51
DSGNLSKDGLKADSPIGA;KNBVKJZVGA'~~~!!!!!!

Holy crap that was awesome! the whole 2d with 3d camera movement! the hammer hitting animation needs to be fixed up, but other than that it was totally awesome. Reminded me a lot of paper mario and mischief makers. well done bizar dude

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 02:39 Edited at: 7th Mar 2006 02:39
i got quite a low fps (10~15), but other than that, it's looking good...

@FoxBlitzz: screen fps() works perfectly fine for constant rate movement. just take your target fps and divide it by your current fps, and wala, a scalar value for movement!
eg:

Bizar Guy, i would highly recommend that you do your movement this way. it works great, and you don't have to mess around with storing the old timer value and so on...

formerly xMik
FoxBlitzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 04:28 Edited at: 7th Mar 2006 04:29
screen fps() only updates once a second! How many times do I have to say that? When you get jumps and such in the game's performance, it will mess up the pace. I use the DarkSide White Rabbit DLL, which works perfectly. Though I don't think it works in DBC. You could tryout screen fps() and timer(), one at a time, but I still say that timer() works better. It just... updates more.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 05:27 Edited at: 7th Mar 2006 05:32
thanks all, and I apreciate everyone trying to help me out with the timer stuff. However,

just curious, but are there any coders here that know how to do effective timers in db classic??? sorry guys, but timer based movement doesn't even do anything until the fps is at least half of what it sould be, at which point it screws everything up.

Unless someone can explain it very carfuly so that I can firuge out if I did something wrong, I'll just stick to optimization. You can go on and on about how much better timer based movement is than setting the sync rate, but until I can make it work, though.

@Foxblitz, you seem to understand this the most, however I'm not sure how timer() works exactly... Can I just replace screen fps() with timer()? I tried that, and the code that I'd alterd to use timer based movement stopped working completly.

Sorry, kind of frustrated and tired at the moment.

General Sephiro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 05:33 Edited at: 7th Mar 2006 05:38
Some advise weather you like it or not

What I do:
Find a way to improve/optimize then when thats done optimize it more

I'm not to sure what all this talk is about timers but the only thing i use for timers is to improve the FPS so certain calculations like bullet code or collistion is spaced out more... if that makes sense

When it boils down to it... it depends on what takes up the most memory and how it can be improved upon.

E.g.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2006 07:27
Okay, seeing as everyone is confused by timers, I'll show you (in pseudocode form) what I do, and have been doing for ages (waaaay before DB).

This should (and will) make your game run at the same speed on all computers. Of course it won't control whether your video card sucks and the game runs too *slow* hehehe.

Hopefully that is pretty self-explanatory. It's late here and my coffee is wearing off If you have questions feel free to ask

Drew the G
User Banned
Posted: 9th Mar 2006 00:44
Nice game, I just tried it out.

Arial Assault Progress 85%
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2006 11:49
That was brilliant! Round the 50fps mark here.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2006 20:00 Edited at: 19th Mar 2006 20:11
Bump.

This isn't dead, and I'll be back to work on it soon...

Edit: Next I'll be adding exclamitory text to show actions, much like in a comic strip. Then I'll add more enemies.
And I'm really not sure anymore if I'm going to use timers. I didn't plan to originaly, and so far they've given me nothing but trouble. I'll probably stick to my original plan and optomise the sh#t out of it once the engine is finished. Please note people who've gotten lousy framerates, that I haven't yet optimised the game at all...

Edit 2: Glad to see people still like the game, even in such an early sate.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 02:37
I've finished adding the comic words that appear when an action occurs. They appear at the sight of the action, and the float away.

Here's a pic:

Sho Ryu Ken
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I use the DarkSide White Rabbit DLL, which works perfectly."

FoxBlitzz, I'm just wondering. I have trouble getting White Rabbit to work right for me... Can you explain how to use it for me? Thanks in advance.

BTW Bizar Guy, looks good. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll likely download Old School tomorrow. Good work!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 03:24
David R, how does that fps code work? I tried it like this:

My player barely moves! It was 3 before. How do ya do it?!...please.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 128MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Want a real FPS? Click here!
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 03:25 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2006 03:25
[EDIT] oops! Sorry, accidental post!

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 128MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Want a real FPS? Click here!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 23:24
I've added explosions for when an enemy is destroyed.

Ok, I know the explosion doesn't look that great in the screenshot, but believe me whan I say it looks awesome in motion.

I've also improved greatly on the comic words code, although you wouldn't be able to tell from a screenshot.

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2006 23:32
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 06:22
This game taking heavy influence from the Paper Mario games?

Why make sense when you could make brownies?
Sho Ryu Ken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2006 18:47 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2006 18:53
Tried the game. Cool, but I have trouble running fast enough to do a dive, so I can't across the gap with the little yellow guys after it. And, to be honest, I think the sound effects could use some improvement. Also, the fact that bad guys launch you up really high when you get hit allows for some "cheating", if you know what I mean. Other than that, the beta looks awesome, can't wait to see the full version!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I got the full 50 fps, but I've got 1GB RAM and 4 GHz processor, so my computer's pretty fast. But that's because most of what do on my computer is speed-oriented... Graphics editing, game playing, making DBPro stuff, 3D modeling, Flash cartooning, etc. It's no Alienware, but it still owns... Not to brag of course, I'm just stating how glad I am to have such a fast computer.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 18:55 Edited at: 26th Mar 2006 18:59
Quote: "Tried the game. Cool, but I have trouble running fast enough to do a dive, so I can't across the gap with the little yellow guys after it. And, to be honest, I think the sound effects could use some improvement. Also, the fact that bad guys launch you up really high when you get hit allows for some "cheating", if you know what I mean. Other than that, the beta looks awesome, can't wait to see the full version! "

You may have pressed the dive button too late... you have to hit it while you're still going up. And all the sound effects are place holders... I'm not planning on having Kreg gong every time he jumps.
And when you fly up when you get hurt, well I wanted that to allow you to "cheat". It's one of the many things that will make the levels so different to design. You must remember this isn't mario.

Well, I've improved a lot of the effects, and I'm planning on adding a new move for when you press down while you're in the air and not going fast enough to dive.

I've also touched up the hub world. Here are some pics from the menu when it transfers to the hub world.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 19:26
I like that globe stuff!
But the island is much better looking than the other lands on the globe, maybe you should make the island bigger and add a beach to the mainland?

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2006 23:38
Updated the planet. Does it look any better now?

Alkaline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 04:23
Alot better.

1.5 GIG DDR pc3200||ATI 9600xt 256mb||330 GB hard drive||Amd XP 3000+
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 07:49
Alright, I think I've got it finalized, although I may make the worlds outline a bit smaller (it's hard to tell the size of the outline in motion).

Check the pics 4 posts up... I've updated them again.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 16:36
schweet.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 18:31
Excellent!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 20:18:18