Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Seriously improved gameplay. Video+tutorial

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2006 23:53
DONT JUST WATCH THE VIDEO.YOU'll BE DISSAPOINTED.

Ok, the attached video is NOT a showcase of great level design, or anything like that... it's a demonstration of how to get alot more active hostiles in one room, without losing all your Frames Per Second. (beginner users*, frames per second, or FPS are the speed of the game, if they're low it'll be slow and poopy).

Ok, so the whole concept of combat in FPSC has been bugging me for a while, my two main problems being:

1)Enemies can shoot you through boxes, (or any other form of cover) etc, so there is little point in making cover.

2)Only 2 enemies ever seem to activate at once, and even then the FPS dies.

So, I may have a kind of solution...

Enemies Cannot see through segments.
I started to play around in TGC segment creator, and created some segments, that were only a floor piece, ontop of the floor piece I made a few piles of crates.

The engine now considers the crates to be SOLID, and therefore enemies cannot see or shoot through them. Furthermore, When an active object is behind a segment wall the engine doesn't 'think' about it (render it?) so, when an enemy is behind a crate he deactives, allowing other (visible) enemies a chance to activate.

I made a 7x9 unit room, with 5 enemies in it.
I run a 2ghz AMD with 1G ram and a 256mb graphics card.

>Regular FPS (without my segmentboxes) was about 15-20FPS
>same battle (with segment boxes) was about 26-33FPS

I dont know if this helps others (maybe it's just my PC), but I hope maybe some other people can try it, cuz it could be the way forward y'know.

Anyway, check out the video and see what you think.. you have to admit it looks fun!

*Thought I'd say beginner users insead of noobs. more politically correct?!

Ps, sorry about the jump in the middle of the footage, Fraps benchmarked and the video cut out for a sec

"It's often better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, than to open it and confirm their suspisions" - Noel Coward

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2006 23:56
just realised i can make 3x3 segments... The possibilities are increasing.... tutorial in an hour, once I've got this fully sussed out!

-Mods-
This is in models and media as opposed to showcase, because im demonstrating a new concept using meshes+segments as opposed to showcasing a game

"It's often better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, than to open it and confirm their suspisions" - Noel Coward
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 00:09
Butter Fingers, can you email me; I cant get a hold of you but your always posting.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 00:26
comments? Feedback?!

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 00:41
Very good job mate. One thing i just want to point out: You can have more enemies at one time if you set allways active in the enemys optionbar to yes. Then it will always be active. That wont really boost your framerate but i just want to say it so you know. Again good job.

Dont forget to visit my website for scripts!
Maeko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 01:00
Shweeters.

Give a man some bullets, and he'll want a gun. Give a man a gun and he'll be giving away the bullets!!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 01:05
Goo job Butter Fingers.

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
cool video! this should be a sticky

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 01:55
@ Antimatter,
Oh thanks dude. I realised I could leave them on always active, but that tends to slow things down. I was more worried with making the cover work, which it does!! Thanks for the comment tho

@ Fred P

Cheers dude. Hope it might help in the future. Oh yeah, what did you think of the assault rifle? I'm really pleased with the way he checks the magazine before loading it!! It'll be going in the weapon pack.

Zeppelin 37BDF
Years of Service
User Offline
the video looks awesome Butter Fingers. Do you think you can give me the script that you used for the enemies in the video? They seem to be a bit smarter than usual.
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah they do they hide for cover and stuff cool

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 02:17
@Butters

I liked the animation too! The only thing i disliked with the rifle was the way it sounded when you shot.

Oh yeah, the weapon pack. How is it coming along? I cant wait to set fire on the enemies.

Dont forget to visit my website for scripts!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 13:25
Cheers antimatter. I changed the weapon sound to be less like a fart. Uh, the weapon pack is coming along nicely. Might try and get a video up by the end of the day, with like progress so far!

Can believe how many views compared to posts!!

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 13:34
I always like your weapon animations.That's an excellent gun.I can't wait for the weapon pack.

marty
Years of Service
User Offline
Let me get this figured out (old brain syndrome)... you put the crates on top of the floor segments? Are they items or are they part of the segment? (beginner/old brain syndrome)...

looked like it SERIOUSLY improved the fps so I am very interested in how it works... (besides you gotta love anyone who uses classical music in a game...)

only the strange survive, make the familiar strange
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 15:28
The crates and pillars in the room are part of the segment! it improves fps, and makes the crates 'solid' (can't be shot through ,no line-of-sight etc.)

cheers for the music comment. It's flight of the valkries, but I cut and remixed it...

marty
Years of Service
User Offline
aha! thought that's what the music was... totally appropo for Nazis... thanks for the tute on the segments/fps... going to try this later today

only the strange survive, make the familiar strange
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice video...working around the limits of the engine to get the job done...excellent!

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know this.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 19:20
very nice, i'm going to have to give this a try in future projects.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 20:21 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2006 20:22
confused... are you saying that enemys shoot through dynamic objects? I don't think so. I have SUCESSFULLY used a chair to block bullets before. Perhaps it is the script

this is the ultimate enemy script. You will die!

::settarget
:plrdistwithin=500:rotatetoplr,useweapon
:ifweapon=0:reloadweapon
:healthless=10:plraddhealth=-500

Your Mod was deleted by the Government.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2006 20:30
ok, I made a room with a load of crates and baddies and had a gun fight.
It lagged and I kept getting shot when I was hiding.
try it. Make a wall of boxes (static), get shot and duck behind them, enemies keep shooting and you keep getting hurt.

so I made the boxes into segments, and this 'getting shot unfairly' problem was eliminated. Then from doing this it appeared the FPS stayed higher. Im not claiming to be some FPSC genius, I just tried it, and it worked for me.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 18:10 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2006 18:14
Quote: "It's flight of the valkries, but I cut and remixed it"

Not trying to being a know it all but the songs miss named. It's
Carmina burana- O' Fortuna( well, heavily remixed) by Carl Orff. I only know this cause I'd gotten the piece for a game as well. It was possibly miss named prior to Butters getting it....I find lots of people on the net do this to songs.

And great job on the discovery.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 18:14
Try turning the physics off for enemies, it should help framerate and makes it so they always react to you.

Get Decal Maker Now!
Click Here!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 18:17
locrain, you're right, I was reading side 'a' of the vinyl, and the track was on side B!!

Sorry about that...

Jonno
Years of Service
User Offline
But when you make the room, you can only like...oh...so you make the whole level a segment, then you just place it down, and play?

Were do i get a segment editor from?

And with the scripting things...I see things on post's like this:

Im going to have some serious trouble with Sensei AI...how do I use these scripts? Do i just copy and past them into notepad, save it, and open it in the object properties?

Ahhh! Scripting hurts my brain!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 02:23:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 02:23:59