Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Odd Terrain Behavour

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 19:56 Edited at: 19th Jul 2006 19:56
Whenever I show my sky object, the terrain I have gets all dark. However, when the sky object is hidden (still loaded but just hidden) it looks fine. Has anyone had this sort of problem before? I'm not sure if it is a bug or my fault. Here are my loading functions:

I've attached a screenshot to show the problem.

Get Decal Maker now and make your own decals for FPSC as easy as clicking your mouse!
Click Here!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 20:12
I have run into similar issues when playing a video on my second monitor while using advanced terrain. The terrain comes up unusually dark (with an occasional flicker, other times there is no flicker at all). This probably doesn't help you much, but perhaps between the 2 symptoms someone has a creative solution other than 'dont watch videos while rendering 3d scenes '.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Trinita
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 12:57
It's the second time i see this particulary effect. Try to SET AMBIENT LIGHT Percentage to reenlight the terrain. Hope it helps.

"An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind."
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 00:33
Looks like:

A) Low video memory
B) Texture number conflict
C) You've accidentally set shadow shading on to that sky.

Since the other one was scaring you guys so much...
Jay Bee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 03:59
I haven't got a clue, but I'd just like to say that game looks pretty win. Love to see the finished product

Your signature has been erased by a mod - 404kb is a little large, don't you think? Nope not really, but heh, ur the boss
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 04:20 Edited at: 21st Jul 2006 04:25
@Jay Bee - Thanks

Quote: "Looks like:

A) Low video memory
B) Texture number conflict
C) You've accidentally set shadow shading on to that sky.
"

Hmm....I'm pretty sure there is no texture number conflict, as it checks for a free image slot for each one. I'll check for shadow shading, but now that I think about it it probally is this laptop's video memory lol.

Also, when I rem out a line of code I have to disable the gun's zdepth, the same thing happens. The gun is actually huge on the terrain - kinda weird - but you don't notice it.

I srunk the sky into a little shrivel in the corner to find out that it only does this while I look at the sky. Does anyone have any idea why? I'm begining to think it's the video memory

Get Decal Maker now and make your own decals for FPSC as easy as clicking your mouse!
Click Here!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 06:50
I am willing to bet that is what it is (low video memory). One thing you can do to test it out is to drastically reduce the resolution of the images used to texture your sky[box/sphere]. Doing this will reduce the memory footprint utilized and may be a solution to your issue. Give it a shot.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 18:41:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 18:41:18