Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TGC Convention Plans

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 22:40
Quote: "Thanks Mr. and Mrs. Batvink for putting that all together!"

I second that! I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend - and meeting everyone as well. A lot to think about. (Not so sure about the travelling: left my B@B for Leeds station this morning at 8.30am and didn't get home back here in Cornwall till 5.00pm!)

I was rather amazed last night to find that I could detect 6 different internet wireless networks from my laptop in my B@B room in Leeds - and was actually able to use one of them. No idea who it belonged to - but it worked! Never even seen an Internet wireless network here in the middle of nowhere in Cornwall.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 23:13
RickV : When is that meteor due again?

Scraggle : Can I have my peas back please

Lee : stop talking

Ravey : stop drinking

Me : have something to showcase next year

TheSturgeon(playing me at chess) : I will use my powers of the horse and pwnzor you.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 08:03 Edited at: 30th Oct 2007 08:05
Hi Guys,

Just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who braved the roads, railways and airways to meet up for our first official TGC convention! I had an absolutely awesome time, and can't wait to do it again next year.

Sorry for my three hour, 1-hour presentation guys. Anyone that knows me was surely expecting it! For the rest, now you know

My favourite part of the convention was talking with everyone and exchanging ideas on projects, nostalgia, life, the universe and everything. Having the whole bar to ourselves was an especially nice touch, and something I will be looking to reproduce (with perhaps the addition of some munchies around midnight).

My biggest thank you goes to Steve and Michelle Vink for organising a smoothly run and professional event. The venue was excellent, the staff helpful and in the case of the Porter, truely memorable.

Now I am back in the dungeon of the most Northern Nerve Centre of the TGC Empire, it is once again time for me to merge with my environment and become one with the computer. Before I do, I can reveal that there will be an update for DBPro very soon containing a few commands specially requested at the convention so watch the update page in November. I made the changes as soon as I got back on Sunday night, just before X10 development absorbed me. Mike, Dave and I planned another night on the tiles around Manchester, but after two late nights in Leeds and twenty glasses of Guinness, I was ready to return to the world of coding.

A final thankyou to Rick, Mike, Dave, Paul and Rich, a great bunch of guys, the backbone of TGC and a team I am very proud to be part of. May all our mutexes be free of deadlocks

Kind Regards,
Lee 'the talk' Bamber

"Small, smart, and running around the legs of dinosaurs to find enough food to survive, bedroom programmers aren't extinct after all "
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 15:42
I had a great time and enjoyed all of the presentations, so many thanks to Mr & Mrs B, but also to all of the guys from TGC for putting all the hard work in to those presentations (even if it was written at the last minute Ravey ). I took something away from every one of them.

Quote: "I made the changes as soon as I got back on Sunday night"

I at least waited until Monday to do that for the few plug-in requests I got and the other stuff that I've started planning.

Can anyone remember any of the quotes that we were going to remember and post? My mind has gone blank, probably because we were all drunk when they were made.

Utility plugins collection and
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk for older plug-ins and example code
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 16:39 Edited at: 30th Oct 2007 16:40
The cow quote is all mine, for the newsletter

I said to Lee and the guys as I was leaving, that I thoroughly enjoyed the talks. And they went all coy. But as I said to them, it would take years to impart that kind of knowledge via forum threads.

To be able to ask for a new feature face to face is also invaluable. The initial reaction is "you don't really need that", but a good discussion throws up all sorts of other implications that finally turns the feature request into a reality. That doesn't happen on a forum either.

I have now come to terms with the fact that I am a Splinee, through and through. I hear Mnemonix is turning to the dark side and becoming a proceduralite. But those Mutexants are just odd.

MikeyK65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 17:37
hehe, coming up through the ranks of embedded developer through to windows higher level stuff I have used lots and lots of threads and mutexes are invaluable!!!! It just takes a while to get your head around them!!

Again though, great talks from everyone!! Now trying to settle back into my real job! It just doesn't feel right anymore!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 18:54 Edited at: 30th Oct 2007 18:56
Ignoring the cow quote for now since Batvink wants it, here's what I can remember:

Lee Bamber: "I really don't mind the blue crash screens, it means I am on the cutting edge of technology".

Mnemonix: "If you used a cryogenic cooling system, could you keep frozen peas in your PC case?".

hmm... I though I would be able to remember more than that but I seem to also be suffering from a blank mind

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 10:15
Well damn looks like everyone had a great time..I really wanted to come too. So...that means next year Zombie gets to crash the UK!

Dr. Mannete- OMG It's Zombie's voice, it's so Suave!

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 14:25
Good Time it was, and you can learn so much more in person than you can on the Forums

And thanks for the new graphics card, It dosn't fit on my motherboard but its given me an excuse to upgrade my PC

Everyone Be Cool, You, Be Cool.
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 15:47
perhaps it will fit on my motherboard, ship it over here for me to try

http://notmybase.com
All my base are not belong to anyone.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 23:40
Here's a pic of the man with a thousand things to say!

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 23:41
And here's the Video Vink Man!

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 00:04
caught! Unlike Philip, who ensures all photos of him are edited, I tend to stay behind the camera, out of harm's way.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 01:25
Great convention guys - nice to meet everyone, very well organised and interesting venue! The drive up/back was hellish, but thankfully worth it. Excellent X10 video, convinced me to buy an 8800

Never trust a computer you can't throw out of a window
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 02:16
Quote: "Unlike Philip, who ensures all photos of him are edited,"

He failed on this occasion. Do I hear the rustle of legal writs?

Quote: "Here's a pic of the man with a thousand things to say!
"

I'm sure Scraggle will find a way of using that in a game about teapots.
El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 19:39 Edited at: 1st Nov 2007 20:27
caption contest for lees photo?

edit: just a thought, perhaps next yr we should do this on a bank holiday weekend, (dedicating the entire monday to lee )

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 14:49
I never edit ANY of my photos. As I keep telling people, I am actually a bear. People who think I am human are suffering some kind of post-tetleys related delusion.

Incidentally, I've warned Lee that now he is on facebook, a million DBProers are going to send him friends requests.

Cheer if you like bears! Cheer if you like jam sandwiches!
"I highly recommend Philip" (Philip)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 15:15
MAN, I wish I had been there. Hopefully next year though

BatVink:
You filmed the presentations? Is it possible we get to see them later?

[center]
CREATE games with ease! NO programming required!
WIP
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 23:51
There were problems with the volume, that Steve was going to look at to see if he could fix it. Also, there was all sorts of secret stuff being said that we all had to fill out an NDA for, so the video will also need to be carefully edited.

I'm looking forward to seeing it all again too

Utility plugins collection and
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk for older plug-ins and example code
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 00:03
I believe the NDA sensitive stuff was edited out on the day

TheSturgeon(playing me at chess) : I will use my powers of the horse and pwnzor you.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 00:19
The only sensitive things I remember were Lee's comments about teapots.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 00:36
... and cows!

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 22:08
You all need to come stateside soon. Crazy how long Ive been around here and not actually met anyone

Join Our Forums and get game updates faster!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 04:23
Wait, Lee is on Facebook?

El Goorf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 18:40
as is the lee bamber fan club ^_^