Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / WIP & Team Request - SeaDome

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 23:52 Edited at: 24th Sep 2007 04:29
THE SEADOME TEAM IS CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR MEMBERS. IF YOU FEEL YOU COULD ADD TO THE TEAM, VISIT THE FORUMS AND THE WEBSITE.

IMAGES IN THIS THREAD WILL ONLY SHOW UP TO REGISTERED AND LOGGED USERS OF TGC FORUMS.

== Progress ==

Conceptual Fase:
Game Design Document outlining Game Concept.
Storyline and missionline for the game.
Map
Character descriptions
Techdemo with real-time rising water and walking/swimming cube (bugged, though)
Sketches of the game field, weaponry and hoped gameplay.
Besides me, 2 artists and 2 programmers at the moment. We are looking for additional people.
Website.
Progress:

Internet Development Center (programmed in-house by DSG):
Basic Framework
Task Overview
Task Creation and Allocation
File Uploading/Downloading
Advanced user management / Admin functions
Progress:

Development Fase:
Programming (1st iteration):
Requirement Gathering.
Basic Movement Engine (including swimming ect.).
Colission System
Basic Interaction Engine.
Basic AI.
Shaders.
Working out all the above.
Progress:

Artists:
Building Models
Weapon Models
PDA Model
Item Models
Characters
Progress:

Sound:
Creating Main Theme.
Happyness Theme.
Sad Theme.
Climatic Theme.
Evil Theme.
Battle Theme.
Record Voice acting.
Creating/Recording sound effects.
Ambiences.
Progress:

Writing:
Dialogue
E-mails and ambient writing
Progress:

Frontend:
Cinematic Intro
Main menu

Completion:
Putting it all together.
Progress:

= Done.
= Work In Progress.
= Not started yet.
= Killed.

== Preventive Warning ==
Yes, I know, this might be a bad move. I contacted the mods about it who gave me some directions before making a Team Request, and before I get flamed, I'm willing to take this risk. This is a concept I had several months ago, and well, I've gotten so enthusiastic (and with me, others around here) that I'm willing to drop something I was fully dedicated to create (The Awakening RPG). I know it sounds weak, but instead of creating the thirteenth-in-a-dozen RPG, I wanted to create something unique. The concept I present to you, is unique. SeaDome.

GAME DESIGN DOCUMENT ATTACHED TO THIS POST
WEAPON RENDER ADDED - SEE BELOW
WEBSITE NOW AVAILABLE: CLICK HERE

== Inspiration ==

Quite simply put, inspiration came from two sources: My father, and the game BioShock. My father told me yesterday that games seem to be very land/air orientated, and that he and a friend of his had been discussing this terrible issue. Other inspiraation is found in the games of Deus Ex (high interaction levels/character binding) and Metal Gear Solid (the 'playing-a-movie' style/character binding).

At first, I countered him, saying there's not enough interesting stuff down there, when he said: "But, it's a game! You can put anything you want down there!". And then I figured it out.

[ == Basic background story ==
The story is simple. It is the year 2097 as huge mechs start fighti... oh wait, that's One Must Fall 2097. Sorry.

It's the year 2097 as the space programme starts to seriously investigate the possibility of putting large domes on other planets. For this cause, they first decide to build several of these domes on the bottom of the ocean/sea. Built of the most powerful materials known to us at that given date, several domes are constructed and closely monitored. Basically without outside help, the volunteers have to survive in the dome as good as possible. So far so good. But, the scientists, or at least, the organisation doesn't feel comfortable about the monitored dome. They secretly decide to build an additional dome, rally up survival experts and without any outside monitoring, transport them to the Seadome. Twelve men, ten women are to be left in the Seadome for 15 years. After this period they will all be rewarded with a small bag of money, well, essentially, a huge bag of money.

Player
Of course, you play one of these survival experts. One of the males, preferably. Youstart after 12 years in the dome, and everything is going well. Structures have been built with the aid of robots, including the Dome tower, the central tower which rises till the roof of the dome. Everything is fine. Until then, ofcourse.

After the tutorials, in which all is well, there is a sudden explosion and electricity is severely damaged (just because I like flashing lights and stuff). That's not much of a problem, but the dome has been breached. Water is slowly filling the dome, and there will be no help from the outside. That ís a problem, I'd say.

Filling the Dome
Now, the thing in Seadome is that the water fills the dome in realtime. Most of the time you will be trying to stay ahead of the water, before that hatch closes, before water crushes the door or pressure locks the exit. Sometimes, you'll have to dive through area's, but all the time, the water level is slowly rising (with increasing speed since the dome is spherical). The only enemies in the game are the other survival experts.

There used to be twelve single-man submarines for emergency situations - but the explosion shut down power and shortcircuited the hatches to eleven of them - so, there will be only one survivor. Of course, nobody likes to die, so after a short time of cooperation more and more of the team start to turn against each other.

Enemies, AI and possibilities
These 'enemies' would mostly be trapping the player - putting him for a puzzle to escape from a new difficult position. Ofcourse, at one point, the player would have to fight the others, or trap thém. Direct confrontations are avoided except for 'boss fights'.

Scene's I could imagine would be near the place where the water roars down, fighting one of the 'bad guys'. A room where the water is electrified, a fight. Being trapped in a room in which the water is slowly filling in.

Objectives
Objectives could vary from opening a door to reaching a safe place. De-electrifying water. Destroying a hacked robot (which could be an enemy). Avoiding the enemies. Find something, a suit or air. Escape from a room. Sabotage. Well, anything.

Weaponry
Weaponry will be nearly unexistent. Most combat will be melee (first person) or with sea-like weapons. Harpoons, manual gun, grappling hook. Ammo is sparse, almost non-existant. Skills as hacking will be vital (interactive, preferably). Weapons will have a fully realistic effect - shortly said - one hit is usually fatal. This also goes for your enemies, ofcourse, although they will be equipped with body armor (at least, the latter ones).

GUI
HUD is non-existant. When reloading a magazine, you've got 8 bullets. The maximum of magazines is 2 - so at any time, 16 bullets. Harpoon will have a single arrow at max, but will pierce most body armor. Also, harpoon ammo can be regathered. The grappling hook, as in Quake 2, does damage but does mostly serve as transporting unit. Health stats will be shown with a Mono-like system (if you don't know the Binary Zoo game Mono, you should check it out now!). Blurred effects when heavily damaged. Edges of the screen darken, reddish glow around things. Health restore can be done by resting (at the cost of a few millimeters water rise) or with health kits that take a few seconds to apply.

Saving
Saving is done only at save points - scattered through the game in the form of computers or books or something similar. This to keep the game challenging. With saving, all stats including water level are saved.

Summary
Summarized: the gameplay focus will be in this order: Survival, Adventure, FPS. Examples of gameplay are found in Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex. Stealth, speed and survival are most important.

Development focus
Most important to the game will be looks. The looks are what is going to carry the game, should it ever be developed. A convincing, dark, watery look. The waterfall. The dome, through which a small part of the depths of the ocean can be seen. Flashing lights. Shadows. Water effects. Whatever.

== Locations and Levels ==
The Dome itself will be 200 meters in span - quite claustrophobic, in other words.

How the USP regged the building plans for the SeaDome.

== Game highlights ==
I got a main character list which will consist out of 7-8 hostiles. A lot of the people will get killed in cooperation, by other, the aftereffects of the explosion or by security. Survivors will range from a programmer to a athlethe. For every character, I've got a first and last name, nickname, age, nationality, reason to be in the dome, former profession, reason for selection, specialty and the 'actual test results from the appliance test'.

I got a storyline, building outline, I actually have the first 30 minutes of conversation including a tutorial lined out. I've got two sketches of how it shoúld look - I got three architectural sketches for the SeaDome. I got sketches for the internal of two of the buildings.

The SeaDome exists as an experiment. The USP, the then-to-be Space Program is researching the effects of being completely independent in a limited environment in extreme situations. Several domes are built and monitored, but the USP builds another dome in secret for a 'realistic' test. There will be no USP interference in-game as they dropped the 'team' in the Dome and would return in 15 years. There is a small 3D sketch of the dome in my second post. Besides, I've got several sketches laying besides me but no scanner. I'll try and remake them in PhotoShop later.

There will be little/no effects due to the depth. Only noticable thing is high frustration levels contrasting with the high level of friendship. As soon as disaster strucks, the main things will depend on survival instinct (and at several points, friendship or love).

The lack of one-men subs is actually on purpose, but I realize it might look as an error - the point is that the USP is experimenting with the limited amount of escapal submarines and the effects that has. After all, you will not be able to supply enough escapal methods for an entire Metropolion Bay on for example, Mars. You were supposed to find that out after the explosion through hacking or storytelling. The fact that there are only 12 escapal subs is a total surprise for the team, though, who are fully convinced there are 22 subs, or better said, 11 two-man subs - there is an emergency lock on the escapal submarine bay which the leader of the team may only open in cases of emergency. In my original draft, there was actually just a single sub.

== Features ==
Probably nothing really Unique, but at least special in combination.
* Total immersion. No HUD.
* Limited level, clear walls, realtime water level and thus changing level.
* Hasted gameplay due to the water - game time is limited to 7-8 hours preferably (hard to keep it fun longer than that).
* Dynamic environment. Due to the water, easy-to-reach area's can turn impossible to reach and unreachable area's can become simple to reach.
* Limited hostiles. Six to Eight boss-fights including a programmer capable of reprogramming the bots.
* Very limited weaponry. The FPS aspect will be rather minor.
* Adventure/Survival gameplay. Stay-ahead-of-the-water gameplay. Don't show yourself, stealthish gameplay unless armed or armored. Limited save-points.
* One shot, one kill (or close).
* Diving suits with about 20 minutes of air capable of being destroyed, slowing the player by 50% on land and increasing visibility.
* Awareness of hostiles from sound, movement and shadows, no visual aids.
* Trap/Detrap system. Trapping enemies to take them out. Detrap attempts by AI. Also, AI setting traps for the player of which several scripted.
* First-person cutscenes - no out-of-person-cutscenes.
* Hacking system similar to Deus Ex - possibly a minigame.

Game Highlights:
Not giving away too many, but consider the next two scenarios:
* Final fight for the final diving suit at the top of Dome Tower while water rised in realtime.
* Fight against the programmer, who has reprogrammed several of the security bots to stand by hís side.
* Trapped in the Power Plant where the water is slowly rising to the point where the electric equipment will be in contact with the water.

PDG-8, the only real gun in the game. Further weapons are harpoon and grappling hook.

== Joining? ==

The Website includes the GDD and more, but most important, a forum. Anyone interested can check out those and on the forums show your skills. I've got two open programmer spots and several for artists (3D/2D). Programming will involve dynamic AI as most important focal point. Media-creation will have atmosphere as main point.

I am not a company and besides credits and a good time creating a good game, I cannot promise you anything at all. All I expect from anyone applying is that he or she inputs as much as he or she is capable of doing.

I'm capable of leading projects, as I've lead and participated in several teams before this concept. Feedback from the team-members will have top-priority when developing the game - after all, it will be our project.

== Current Team ==
The team consists out of the SeaDome Main Development Team and a two-man group from Inspire! Media. Inspire! Media will be helping out on the huge artistic workload, and we're happy to have them. For now, only Kyle joined officially, but we're awaiting the second man from Inspire! Media.
SeaDome Main Development Team
# Rami Ismail (tha_rami), Producer / Artist
# Danny (DSG), Lead Engineer
# Robert (hessiess), Artist
# Jeff (Jeffsto), Artist
# Casper (Casper), Programmer
# James Finn (james), Musician
# Joe Hart (HartGames), Intro

Retreated
Inspire! Media - SeaDome Team
# Kyle Vorbach (Inspire), Artist

Open Spots:
-Texturing Artist, preferably proficiency in 3D modelling in Blender (not required).
Check out this page for details.

== Links ==
Seadome Home
Seadome Media
Seadome Forums

== Request ==
Please, do not flame and keep this thread clean.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120

Attachments

Login to view attachments
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 00:59
I'd like to say that this project sounds awesome. I saw it on the theory board but didn't expect it to gain much ground because that board seems deemed for kids to post up random stories they've come up with, then fade away. But this idea, the story and especially the gameplay mechanics it introduces really sounds awesome. I'd love to jump on board but unfortunately I don't have the time to do so. I wish you the best of luck, I hope you find a good team and don't go the way of the open source FPS game.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 01:33
Quote: "for kids to post up random stories they've come up with, then fade away"

I found that quite amusing.

And yes, this looks really cool. The story is unique and it looks like this game is going somewhere. Good luck with this. Remember, you can ask me question online anytime

-Mansoor
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 08:58
Thanks Xeno, I'm glad to be a sort of padawan of yours .

Hey, thanks for the enthusiastic reactions! And no, not in my lifetime will this become a standard FPS.

Chris Franklin_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 14:45
Looks very cool, I'd help but I've got my own project to complete at the moment, if I finish it soon I'll probably help with this.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 18:20
Thank you, Chris. I'd be happy with any help at all - I really need one or two dependable coders for now.

Good luck with your own project!

Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 18:49 Edited at: 4th Apr 2007 18:53
If this is DBPro i'd love to help (email at the bottom)
Edit: just scanned the GDD nice idea for total immersion oblivion was really spoiled by it's hud.

Computer says n00bed
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 21:42
Vampiric, you actually joined on my birthday, you know.

Programming language is uncertain as yet, we'll go with whatever language the majority of the team is best at. I think most people for now are DBP-users.

We've got 3 artists now of which two are semi-capable programmers. We need real programmers still, now. If you can check the website, contact form, follow instructions there to join the selection procedure (yeah, I actually have to select - how awesome, this game is actually going to be real!).

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 22:18
Wow, the whole concept sounds real innovative. I wish I could help, but I think it wouldn't be too good for the project. xD
Apart from that I don't have any time.. however, good luck, you just have to finish it!

Visit the DBPro - Speed up your game-Thread. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=88661&b=1
Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2007 22:19
Wow, this looks like some awesome stuff. My school work has been cut down, considering i now only have 2 classes a day instead of 5. So i would be willing to program I need a new project to get into, and my brother won't let me help him out with his projects, lol.

email: Blastwave_man@hotmail.com

BWM

"I wish I was a wizard, becuase then I could wave my wand and perfect code would just appear."
Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2007 10:06 Edited at: 5th Apr 2007 10:07
also, I've been developing this sorta editor, game system, I've just needed a game to do it with. With the editor i can build levels, add items/npc's...then everything can have properties, like physical properties(weight/mass/bouncy/solid/liquid/gas), and what applied physics would be involved. I've even designed built in realtime demo editor, that can be set off with triggers. Then i have an event system built up which can be activated by a trigger or something else. thought i share, would be willing to modify and do some work on it for this game, becuase it's a cool idea.

hope to hear from you, later

bwm

"I wish I was a wizard, becuase then I could wave my wand and perfect code would just appear."
Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok I'm sending a website email thingy

Computer says n00bed
Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2007 17:19
really now, your not that smart lee

MOONDOG

current projects: Mystic Dream // red // battle room
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 02:35
Well, the team is getting started. We've got three artists and one programmer as I post this. We're looking for one, final, programmer.

Additional artist who think they would make a valuable addition to the team are still welcome to apply, as the team is not definete yet.

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 05:03 Edited at: 6th Apr 2007 08:42
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/redocean

yours sounds and looks better played the demo for this game, and, it's just another, blah blah next gen fps

edit: so played some more of the game, see if it got any better...its horrible!!! horrible collision...wacked out physics...AI that stands there and gets shot...useless level damage(dosnt effect anything in the game) just a bad game...very linear i might add...so please, make a better game!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 10:49 Edited at: 6th Apr 2007 10:58
Yeah, Red Ocean already occured to me when figuring out the concept. But yup, that's the example of a FPS and an FPS isn't what SeaDome is going to be. At most, it will have minor elements of FPS.

Moondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 17:07
the funny thing about red ocean, besides it being a bad game, is it always had water on the floor. I guess that was there way of showing it was deep in the ocean, by making it look like it had a large leak. The water was always moving in one direction too, like older games, where they scrolled the texture in one direction to make it look like its moving. Thats all they did there. It didn't even reflect the environment around it, blah. Just bad level design.

MOONDOG

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 20:05
Yeah, I heard it was mostly gimmickal in Red Ocean. Well, I hope that with some good effort we'll be able to outclass Red Ocean (at least gameplay-wise).

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 20:51
cool project! .. I got one off topic question .. sorry

tha rami, are you the creator of the star wraith games?

I am awesome and always right.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 00:31
No, I'm not the creator of the Star Wraith games. I am however one of the active people on the forums and I help with graphics and advertisement when needed.

The SW3D range of series is a great example of what DarkBASIC can do in commercial game-making. It is one of those projects that was carefully planned-out and well executed. It was written in Classic, and I, with Seadome, am aiming for similar or higher game-quality. My approach to game making (feedback-based with a core group of active members) was directly copied from the creator of the games, who's nickname is 'Vice' on SW3D forums. If you want to contact him, do so through www.starwraith.com.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 14:28

The submarine that the game is going to revolve around. Early model by Jeffsto2003.

As said before, we're still looking for a talented programmer who can work and adapt to team situations. If you're interested, check it out at http://vector4.co.uk

Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 10:52
Looks good so far

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 22:21
Thank you, shadow heart.

Would anyone who knows of, or is a, capable programmer please contact me or put me and the programmer in contact? We're talking a large project here of which the time span shall be rather large.

The approach to the project is professional, so it is essential that you can quickly adapt to or are used to working in a team for large projects.

Also, we're looking for a (postworking) 3D artist capable of lightmapping, reducing polygon counts, bumpmapping and texturing.

If you're interested, contact me through http://vector4.co.uk. Thanks in advance.

Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 08:29
hey I can do some texturing, nothing proffessional.

Want me to send you some textures i've made to see if you like them?

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 11:16
Thank you, Shadow Heart. Please send your work to the address provided at the website in the contact section (website is at the top).

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 05:12
Wow, just wow. This sounds so intuitive and new that this might become one of the few "spot light" games we see for DBP. From what've read, the game could be very interesting, especially if you've got some good puzzles and level designs. Good luck with this, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2007 12:36
Thank you very much, Dr. Manette, exactly that reaction is what I had when I completely figured it out and I hope we can do your expectations some good during development.

We're still looking for one, additional programmer. Anyone interested can contact me through the website. Thank you.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 13:55
We've got a new application for a programmer and are reviewing his capabilities this weekend. If you're interested to join the project as programmer, this is your final chance.

Artist slots are all filled although one of our members, Inspire, has failed to reply to several e-mails - so there might open a slot for the buildings/rooms artist.

cjb2006
Years of Service
User Offline
Cute story but............there's always a but isn't there?

As an aerospace engineer (yeah,really) I will point out a few flaws in your story line. They are not fatal but did keep me from reading the entire thing.

First, ditch the space angle. A dome constructed on a planet with no atmosphere would require, at most, an internal pressure of 1 atmosphere(atm) (about 15 psi) for habitation. To simulate that structure under water you would want to have the dome internal pressure at 1 atm and the external pressure at 2 atm so you can verify the structure is sound for that pressure loading. A dome is the perfect choice but 2 atm is only 33 feet under the water. If something like your story were to happen, they would open the hatch and swim.

Second, you're selling your dome designers out by assuming that there wouldn't be manual overides to any electrical / mechanical systems. Better to have an underwater quake and landslide that destroys vehicles because only in the movies will people turn on each other when an option of "working the problem" so that more can survive is available. Especially amongst "survival experts". I think the story would be more compelling if you are tasked with gathering up your fellow survivors, but hey, that's just me.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I understand that most people don't think like me so you can, in fact, get away with anything in your story line. I just prefer them to make sense.

Good luck.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 18:26 Edited at: 14th Apr 2007 18:33
Haha, I'm sorry. I've been traveling alot lately, but now I'm back.

EDIT: I'm replying on your forums now.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 19:28
It's all right, I was hoping you'd pick up the subtle hint .

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 04:00
cjb: fun > realism

its quite simple. Who cares if its not scientifically possible, neither are 99% of games out there.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 12:00 Edited at: 15th Apr 2007 12:07
Quote: "Cute story but............there's always a but isn't there?

As an aerospace engineer (yeah,really) I will point out a few flaws in your story line. They are not fatal but did keep me from reading the entire thing.

First, ditch the space angle. A dome constructed on a planet with no atmosphere would require, at most, an internal pressure of 1 atmosphere(atm) (about 15 psi) for habitation. To simulate that structure under water you would want to have the dome internal pressure at 1 atm and the external pressure at 2 atm so you can verify the structure is sound for that pressure loading. A dome is the perfect choice but 2 atm is only 33 feet under the water. If something like your story were to happen, they would open the hatch and swim.

Second, you're selling your dome designers out by assuming that there wouldn't be manual overides to any electrical / mechanical systems. Better to have an underwater quake and landslide that destroys vehicles because only in the movies will people turn on each other when an option of "working the problem" so that more can survive is available. Especially amongst "survival experts". I think the story would be more compelling if you are tasked with gathering up your fellow survivors, but hey, that's just me.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I understand that most people don't think like me so you can, in fact, get away with anything in your story line. I just prefer them to make sense.

Good luck."

Hey there, cjb,

Thank you for your extensive critisism, glad you pointed me at a flaw in the story that I should explain in-game since otherwise you'd actually have a point, and I want some degree of realism in the game.

Your first point is actually a great one, and I had been researching that as well. However, the test is not as much for the material as for the habitants. I've done some additional research into human psychology and I was guaranteed that if there were no conflicts between the subjects and each of them was psychologically trained (which they are, being survival experts), that if given a varying day-task, 20 people would most likely not give too much problems. Since a Dome-like structure is rather impossible floating at 33ft under the surface, they decided to build it at the bottom of the ocean.

Secondly, the location of the SeaDome is in an area declared Earthquake free, south of a seismic zone called the Ring of Fire but just outside the sphere of influence might an Earthquake of 8.0 (Richter) occur an the southern faults. An Earthquake as the one that caused the tsunami in 2004 will not disturb life in the Dome at all.

You're incorrectly assuming there is no manual override to the system, actually. The other submarines can not be reached due to the fact that most of them just aren't there. Why? Well, now let that be a nice question. Secondly, at start the characters will definetly work together. They'll even try to fix the leak with one of the two available submarines - but they'll damage and destroy the submarine and the people tending to the reparation will get sucked through the gap in the Dome (rather painful, I must say, since the dome will be quite high). The override will be used after the initial blast, disabling base-lockdown. It will also be used later in the game to again shut down all electricity to avoid the entire plane of water being electrocuted by the power plant's submerging. And yes, I'm selling them out by not giving a lot of manual override possibilities, but most of the Dome is reachable still. Just not the submarine. Maybe, that's not just me selling them out. Let's put it this way, I'm not going the cliche route for the story, but I'm certainly giving an explanation of the explosion and the lack of submarines.

As Casper (draknir) already stated, it is a balance between realism and gameplay. I wonder if you ever played Metal Gear Solid. If you have, I ask you to look how realistic the game is - you'll find that it is realistic, but not everything. However, the overall atmosphere is realistic while there are cyborg ninja's, floating psychics and human genome projects running around.

With only one option left, several team members will quickly turn on the others. There will be a few early murders which will definetly create a tense atmosphere. I really doubt you or anyone else would act differently in the given situation.

Let me give you a quick summary of the given situation:
- One submarine left, one person can fit in.
- Far below the surface.
- Couple of deaths, couple of murders. Some are trying to get that sub at all costs.
- Earlier repair attempt has only killed three people and destroyed a submarine.

Now I ask you: What would you do?

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 12:47
This game sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye on it. Goodluck.

Quote: "Now I ask you: What would you do?"

I don't like the sound of dying... But I would propobly not go to killing others.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 13:37
Quote: "I don't like the sound of dying... But I would propobly not go to killing others."

I understand, of course. But it's easy - the first rule of nature, a bit customized to fit the occassion: Kill or be killed.

sith lord
Years of Service
User Offline
I may be able to help if the open world mmorpg does not want me to help their team.
I already have a team for my projects and we would sighn up uunder your banner if ommorpg turns us down

we have 2 coders
2 ok modelers
2 testers

if you want us to help send me and email at this address

Sith_676 @yahoo.co.uk
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2007 19:20
Well, if you would be so kind as to send me an e-mail through the website with the required items (see contact section), we'll consider you.

sith lord
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry oorpg accepted us 1 of my coders may be ablt to do soem help with your project but we will see later.
Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2007 09:28
the_rami I sent you some textures, sorry for taking awhile. I think I have some more though, sorry if the ones I sent you can't help

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2007 10:48
Sith Lord, that's okay, I already found a more than capable secondary programmer. If you still wish to apply, ofcourse, you're welcome.

Shadow Heart, I received your submission and was wondering whether you could also send a texture of a bathroom wall (grey/marmer tiles with cement filling between the tiles) without the abstract effects. Just a plain wall.

SeaDome is definetly gearing up: we're done completing the story, we're getting the devtools programmed and concept art is being finished / scanned for the artists. I'll eventually keep this post updated, but until the game reaches BETA stage, don't expect more than one post per month (just to keep the thread alive )

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 16:52
Back here with an update. First of all, good news for those who still want to get involved in SeaDome:

Our main programmer indicated that he could use an additional one or two programmers anytime soon. We're looking for people with experience in DarkBASIC Pro, working in teams and with time to dedicate to a project as SeaDome.

Our modellers indicated that we might need two people with good knowledge of texturing, UV-mapping and who have worked or think they can work with shaders.

The update on progress:
The Encampment model is considered near finished and being prepared for texturing. Our Requirements Document is finished and the main programmer is working on several development tools. Our other programmer is doing a speed-class of C++ to help with development of these tools (and due to interest). Concept sketches and information is still slibbing in and the modellers have been doing great in keeping up with the stream of them.

sith lord
Years of Service
User Offline
is this dead
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2007 14:49
Definitely not. SeaDome is getting geared towards actual development as we speak. I've been discussing things with the team to ensure we're all making the same game and explained the requirements and goals of the game. We've set up a list of things to be modelled and programmed and our main programmer has set up a Web Portal or Repository. Some things are done already (Encampment Model, for example). SeaDome is beginning to get serious as we speak.

We're still looking for new people, so if you're interested, check out the website (check the first post).

Shadow heart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 06:02
loks good!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 14:41
Why, thank you. We're planning on setting up Team Requests on DarkDev.co.nr and several other DarkBASIC Pro oriented sites. Also on some blender sites, most likely, as we need more people as we've found out. On an update, our web portal is finished, including task allocation and the like. File uploading is being arranged and then we'll be able to go all out .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 18:46
SeaDome has attracted the services of James Finn, a music composer / sound specialist for the games. We're hoping to have a fruitful cooperation with James and welcome him to the team.

Nothing new on other front, besides that texturing the Encampment has begun.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 23:06
Thanks bigtime for submitting a team request on my site, rami
I'm glad your getting more members.

This sounds really promising, and I hope this game turns out absolutely amazing.

I can't wait for the next updates. Hurry up with them!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 05:20
No problem Xeno, I hope it will attract me the final people the team has requested. The team is growing and now consists out of 7 rather talented individuals. I must say up till now everyone has served his purpose more than well and I think we've started off development organized, well-planned and securely. We've got forums, a website, a development center where we upload, allocate and manage each members tasks and progress. Our main programmer has, if everythings alright, started today with prototyping for the main engine.

I'm glad you like the sound of Seadome and with the team, I'm certain we'll live up to what we promise. We're aiming nothing less than the best we can - and believe me, that's not nothing.

We'll keep you updated. Maybe anytime soon I can post a quick fly-through the Encampment model as it looks now. Can't really promise, though - Robert in still in the progress of applying Jeff's textures to it.

Thanks for the interest,
Rami

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 08:51
Hey, I was just curious. How come nobody from Inspire! Media is featured on the Current Team list?

hessiess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 15:05 Edited at: 10th Jun 2007 17:59
anyone here python programers? we may (no gerantees- check with rami) need a python programmer to edit blenders direct x exporter to make it do what we need it to do. manly atomaticly brake up large 3d modals into separate files, insted of limbs in the same file.

learn blender, you will never regret it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:40:42
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:40:42