Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / [STICKY] CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE v1.0

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 06:55 Edited at: 9th Sep 2007 08:31
I've lost the help window. It was docked and when I released it it went away. How do I get it back? F1 does not do it.

Edit: I reinstalled the ide and got the help files back. Would still like a answer though.
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 13:16 Edited at: 10th Sep 2007 21:04
Make room for the best IDE ever :-p

Oh and Wild, to get the help window, just open the normal help window and drag it to the side. I gotta admit you have to play a little until the windows are locked on the right place, but it works.

It's the programmer's life:
Have a problem, solve the problem, and have a new problem to solve.
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2007 16:17
I agree with Captain Taco's suggestion.

AndyGFX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 12:16
Download from second post is ver 0.9 and not 1.0 !!!

Please add download link again.

thx
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 03:25 Edited at: 11th Sep 2007 03:32
Interestingly enough, I always program with a white background. It doesn't seem to bother me at all. However, adding a feature to let you change the background of the other windows is certainly doable, and not too much work.

Quote: "Download from second post is ver 0.9 and not 1.0 !!!"

You sure about that? Let me download it and see for sure.
Edit: Just redownloaded it, and it says version 1.0. Not sure how you got .9 unless you downloaded it from the previous thread I made over in the WIP board.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)
Alsan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2007 22:20
Well, I tend to repeat myself, but do you plan to add Line Concatenation in a future relase, hyrichter? (I mean like in the default IDE, with a concatenation symbol)

Visit my Forum [German]: www.jaf-entertainment.de
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2007 06:19
Alsan,
Yes, there are plans to add a line concatenation in the future. Possibly even v 1.1, whenever that happens. Probably a month or so, depending on how things go here.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)
Alsan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2007 14:56
That's great to hear.

Visit my Forum [German]: www.jaf-entertainment.de
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 05:06
Found a bug with the way CodeSurge handles multiple cursors. This is different from the cursor bug I mentioned a long time ago. I'm not sure when this sneaked into the build. [I was taking a break from DBP programming for a year or so.]

In the DBP Editor, the .dbpro file enumerates cursors like this...

; **** Cursors ****
cursorarrow=MEDIA\MOUSE_GREEN.CUR
cursorwait=MEDIA\MOUSE_YELLOW.CUR
cursor2=media\mouse_red.cur
cursor3=media\pencil.cur
cursor4=media\eraser.cur

When you use the CHANGE MOUSE command, the numeric values are 0 = cursorarrow (default), 1 is cursorwait (hourglass), 2 = cursor2, 3 = cursor3 and so on.

CodeSurge will read in that .dbpro file and save it as...

;*****Media files, icons, cursors*****
media root path=F:\dbpro\Projects\virmin\
cursor1=media\mouse_green.cur
cursorarrow=media\mouse_yellow.cur
cursorwait=media\mouse_red.cur
cursor4=media\pencil.cur
cursor5=media\eraser.cur

The compiler will actually run with those values, but it will assign the wrong cursors to arrow and wait and I can't see the pencil and eraser cursors in my editor.

This is a pretty big bummer. Hopefully, this bug can be fixed in the next release.
--
TAZ

Side note, CodeSurge really really loves to write to the .dbpro file before compiling. If I make the file read only to preserve the proper config, CodeSurge refuses to work at all. [An appropriately annoying error message does pop up. It would be grand if the dialog box had a continue button instead of just OK = quit.]

When you feel like absolutely no one is watching you, that's probably a ninja. - Ask A Ninja
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 14:50
Zircher,
Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know how it slipped by and didn't get corrected. You are also correct that it rewrites the .dbpro file on compile. This has also been bothering me for a while, but hardly anyone complained about it, so I haven't changed it yet.

I'll be getting that fixed in the next release which is probably a couple of weeks away.

CodeSurge
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2007 15:38
Here's wishing for a project find/replace (open and closed files) and listing all functions, labels, types and globals in the whole project in the Code explorer (open and closed files) in the next version. Both would be very useful for me.

[center]
CREATE games with ease! NO programming required!
WIP
PresFox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 21:26 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2007 21:27
i still cant use it

stupid access violation errors

Tryed, compatibility mode doesnt fix a thing

Microsoft isnt evil, they just make really crappy operating systems -- Linus torvalds
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 23:53 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2007 00:01
Just started using Codesurge, and my opinion of the Default IDE has all but fallen apart. Codesurge wins by miles.

However, I'm getting an access violation when I add a fourth file to my project, then try to shift it in the project explorer. Once the error occurs, the file can be shifted around without further error, but following this, closing the project brings up another access violation, and the editor crashes upon closure.

Screen:

Other than that, nothing else has gone wrong. That said, I'm going to wait a while to see what you think. Don't want to mangle my project by accident.

EBA: A banner coming soon.
Then maybe a game.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 02:34
I've seen this happen before, and I thought I had fixed it. I'll be doing some testing to see if I can duplicate the error here, and find out what I'm doing wrong. I highly doubt it will do anything to your project, though. I'm quite sure the error has to do with trying to move the items in the tree-view to places they don't belong. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, though, as I thought it was fixed long ago.

CodeSurge
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 18:39
MonoCoder,
I've tried to duplicate the bug, but everything works here just fine. Are you sure you're using version 1.0? If you are, can you give me the details on exactly how you created your project, added the files to it, etc.? I'm lost as to what might be causing it right now.

PresFox,
Sorry to here that. Are you using Vista? I don't have Vista, but I wonder if it has something to do with Vista's wonderful security features blocking it from finding the DBP path. That's just a guess. I really need to get Vista so I can start testing my software with it.

CodeSurge
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 19:06
Actually, thinking about it, how I made it could have something to do with it.

I created the project using the default IDE a month or two ago. On switching to codesurge, I loaded the project up and began using the code explorer to start putting the source over multiple files. Prior to this, all the source has been in one .dba.

I'm definitely using Codesurge 1.0, it states so in the about box.

Also, I run codesurge from a folder on my desktop. It seems unlikely, but could this have anything to do with it?

Hope all this helps.

Then maybe a game.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2007 20:19
That might be the problem, having started the project with the default IDE. I'll try some tests that way to see what happens.

It shouldn't matter at all where you run CodeSurge from as long as it can read and write to the settings file that it creates.

CodeSurge
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 23:31 Edited at: 24th Sep 2007 23:32
Hi,
I opened up the FPSC Game source code to have a look at for some reference.
After I got what I was looking for, wrote my own version of it and tested, I wanted to close the other CS window, but when I opened that window I was greeted by this:

I think it may be because the FPSC Game source code is over 22000 lines of code and I had three windows of CS opened already.

I allways afraided from a clowns. aww..

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, once again, grats on CodeSurge, love it!

ChrisK suggested in the Synergy IDE thread to have the ability to open FX files from within the editor with some syntax highlighting and the ability to resave. I think it might be cool to be able to just work in the same window with your DBP project so you don't have to switch over to Notepad or FXComposer or something.

Is this something possible for the future perhaps?

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2007 19:31
How long till 2D Plugin KIT keywords are added?

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2007 03:57
Quote: "How long till 2D Plugin KIT keywords are added?"
I thought CodeSurge read the keyword INI files just like the DBP Editor. If so, did the author of the plugin ever create an INI file in the first place?
--
TAZ

When you feel like absolutely no one is watching you, that's probably a ninja. - Ask A Ninja
PresFox
Years of Service
User Offline
I use WinXP SP2

Microsoft isnt evil, they just make really crappy operating systems -- Linus torvalds
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 01:05
I just noticed- I hadn't set the correct dbpro path. The thought escaped me, having set it for a previous version a few days before switching to 1.0.

Testing it again, I've not noticed anymore errors, even when switching the order of 6 files. Looks like the problem is solved!

Thanks.

Then maybe a game.
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2007 03:34
Quote: "I thought CodeSurge read the keyword INI files just like the DBP Editor. If so, did the author of the plugin ever create an INI file in the first place?
"

I guess those guys didn't make a keywords file.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 04:52
When I'm working on a line of code that contains 1 or more underscores, CodeSurge takes a large performance hit. Is there any explanation for this?
Note: this was not an issue for me in previous releases.

common people are walking in line.

Mitsu Fly Ride.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 08:58
Not sure if it's been said yet but in my current code when I have very long conditions or function calls(100chars and up) the IDE is stupidly slow that it sometimes takes 2-3 seconds to draw any changes I've made, however it isn't bracket matching this time as it's still slow even when disabled. Also these same lines are very quick to update when editing chars lower down the row.

Also the keyword/help file detection is rather annoying, if I wanted help on Make Object rather than Make Object Box I'd have typed Make Object instead of Make Object Box right? After all you cannot have a variable or constant with the name Box.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 16:17
That sounds like a language structure proplem more than CodeSurge. What is the behavior of DBP's default editor when you use a reserved word as a variable?
--
TAZ

Hey You
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 17:40
This is a great IDE very pleasing to the eye

would be nice to have a option expicit like in VB that automatically capitizes the varables names so you know you have the correct name, that and auto lines between functions to seperate them.

however before have a good rest and a pat on the back, its well desevered. Good Work

J

HEYYOU......Just the way it is.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 19:00
Quote: "When I'm working on a line of code that contains 1 or more underscores, CodeSurge takes a large performance hit. Is there any explanation for this?"

Looks like I'll have to do some testing and see what's going on. I don't really have any idea what would be causing it.

Quote: "Not sure if it's been said yet but in my current code when I have very long conditions or function calls(100chars and up) the IDE is stupidly slow that it sometimes takes 2-3 seconds to draw any changes I've made, however it isn't bracket matching this time as it's still slow even when disabled. Also these same lines are very quick to update when editing chars lower down the row."

Was this also a problem with previous releases or just v 1.0? I'm guessing what's slowing it down is more the intellisense trying to figure out all your function parameters, but I'm not sure until I do a few tests.

As for the context sensitive help, if you type "Make object" and hit f1, you'll get help on make object. If you've typed "make object box", then that's what you'll get help on. In your example, if you have the cursor placed before "box" you will get help on just "make object." I'm afraid this behavior isn't going to change soon. But just take note that if you ever create a language, please don't allow spaces in your keywords. If all else fails, just highlight exactly what you want help on and then hit f1.

I'll be releasing an update in a couple of days. I've fixed the cursor bug zircher mentioned and a few other little things. I'll also see if I can figure out what's causing some of these slowdowns.

CodeSurge
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 23:49 Edited at: 16th Oct 2007 23:50
I think I've narrowed it down to underscores only slow the software when it is used like this:

In other words, at the start of a line, or following a '.'.

What exactly happens? Well it's a lot like what Dark Coder describes. 4-5+ seconds to display any changes.

Mitsu Fly Ride.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2007 23:05
I've got a pretty significant problem - since I upgraded to Vista, the toolbars that drop down from the main menu (file, edit...) take solid seconds to render - maybe a third of a second for each consecutive item, so longer menus take even longer to fully appear, and I can't select or click anything until it's done drawing. The rest of the app renders smoothly.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 00:54
Quote: "Right-click on Codesurge and go to the compatibility tab. Check the box that says "Desktop Composition". It's not the greatest fix, but it works."

That was mentioned in the first page of the thread, and it's the best advice I can offer right now as I don't have Vista. I'm going to be getting it soon, mainly so I can figure out what's causing this problem.

CodeSurge
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 23:37
Hi hyrichter,

I know you're still trying to find what's causing the problem with the slowing down issue when typing in certain sentences, just as I test line I tried to write this:

In the end it got so slow that it was nearly impossible to even type anymore.

As I said, I know that you're still trying to solve the problem, just thought I would add an example for you to have a look at while thinking hehe.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I can confirm long lines seem to run very slowly while editing them.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 11:40
open_Froz:
I tried lines starting with those _ lines you had and when they got really long I started getting some serious lag, not as much as 1 second but it was noticeable.

The Nerd:
I have no real problems with that line. It sometimes get a little slow around the () but it's just a slight lag. Are you running in Vista?

[center]
WIP
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 13:02
hyrichter:
These would be two quick fixes so it would be nice to see them in the next update. Could you have the help window load up the main menu from start, as docked you can switch to it and it's blank. And can you have it appear instantly when pressing F1? If it's docked with the other windows we need to both press F1 and click on the correct tab.

If it's not too much problem it would be nice if the help window's with could be separate from the others so when I click on the help tab I get a wide column but when I click on the others I get a smaller column. (I have all windows docked together on the right).

[center]
WIP
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 14:38 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2007 14:39
Quote: "open_Froz:
I tried lines starting with those _ lines you had and when they got really long I started getting some serious lag, not as much as 1 second but it was noticeable."

Perhaps your PC is better than mine? I'm using a 5 year old laptop.

Mitsu Fly Ride.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 16:12
Quote: "I have no real problems with that line. It sometimes get a little slow around the () but it's just a slight lag. Are you running in Vista?"

Nope, running XP here. Although I can assure you that it hasn't something to do with the specs(2GB Ram, AMD Athlon X2 4400+ etc)

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 16:31
You think that's bad, try editing

, at least it worked.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 16:53
wow... I won't try that one more time

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 18:05
open_Froz:
Yeah, my laptop isn't THAT old

The Nerd:
You definitely beat me on the hardware side. I've noticed that the more I try to input at once the longer time it takes. Try just adding 1 character at a time and it shouldn't be too slow.

dark coder:
That's the longest line I've ever seen. I tend to split up long values into variables to keep my lines short. I prefer not having to scroll the code sideways, still have a few lines I can't fit on my 1280x800 wide screen when I have the column to the right.

Anyway, that line slows down a lot on my laptop, but only if I do a lot of input. Seems that Code Surge becomes slower and slower at rendering the line visually the further to the right I get. If I position the cursor at the beginning and press the right arrow it first starts moving without problem but as the code starts scrolling it gets slower and slower and shortly I get rendering problems where a part of a character is drawn over and over until I release the arrow key. Again, adding lots of characters at once takes a while but adding a character at a time takes perhaps 1 second at the end of the line.

[center]
WIP
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 18:37
Quote: "Try just adding 1 character at a time and it shouldn't be too slow.
"

But see, the problem is that when you have coding sessions you don't want to type 1 character at a time hehe

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 20:09
I know, but it should be faster then trying to type fast

[center]
WIP
physics man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2007 21:12
I downloaded what I thought was CodeSurge 1.0 from the following link on the The Game Creators site:

"http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78701&b=8"

but when I installed and ran the program the help menu displays: "Version 0.9 Build 9 (Will itever be 1.0?)"

Also is there any setup instructions and Help to the IDE? I don't understand how to "Save" the files I am working with. It seems to default to a "Temp" folder and no matter what I save the ".dbs" and ".dbpro" as the ".exe" file becomes "temp.exe". (Note this could be related to the version problem above.

physicsman
ZKAT8IT
Years of Service
User Offline
I've noticed a problem with the syntax highlighting. It won't highlight any keyword that is after another word that is part of a keyword. Examples:

world As Integer ( As does not highlight )
make As Float ( As does not highlight )

I even replaced 'As' with other single worded keywords such as If and Or and they won't highlight because 'world', and 'make' are part of multi-worded keywords.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 01:52
@physics man,
That link you have is from the older thread. The newest version is on the first page of this thread. To change the name of the .exe when compiled, you need to change the value in the Project Manager.

@ZKAT8IT,
Thanks for pointing out exactly what causes that problem. I've known for a while that there were problems with syntax highlighting when using "as", but could never pinpoint exactly what was causing it.

I know I said a while ago that I'd have an update ready, but things keep coming up. Hopefully by next weekend I can have an update here.

CodeSurge
freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2007 06:46
Great IDE and I use it lots. Nice to hear an update is coming. It has been touched upon several times in this thread already, but I am unable to use Project Manager to change the executable name or screen settings. CS 1.0 will either crash or just revert to its defaults. I am running XP2.

Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 20:55
what exactly does the "encryption" thing in codesurge do?
n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 00:10 Edited at: 18th Nov 2007 00:11
It encrypts the .exe and attached media to help prevent reverse engineering and media extraction, respectively.

Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 16:42
so encryption = good for pretty much all your projects?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 23:29:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 23:29:30